No announcement yet.

[2E] Uratha & teleportation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're plot devicing this you might as well have the exceptional effect be the default one.

Because otherwise Hidden Path is gonna be better most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
      Because otherwise Hidden Path is gonna be better most of the time.
      Hidden Path is generally better becuaes:
      1. It does not need Moon in the Sky.
      2. Is not limited to only Pathstones pair as destination.
      3. Is not depending on Loci strenght to teleport between.

If you have Hunter in Darkness, make him Ritemaster on this. I will just show my conversion ideas too 2E on Lunar Road in an hour or two.

My stuff for Scion 2E, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Um, Wyrd, I think you're making this more difficult on yourself than it needs to be....

First a question: is it essential that the PCs travel instantly? Are you able to use time-jumps and the like to skip the boring interactions of travel and let time pass as they do so? Pick out a few scenes that help to highlight how the PCs are doing things, and then move on? If you have a compelling campaign reason to solve a problem at home instantly through something in Constantinople, then may I humbly suggest that a closer, if more problematic, solution be presented to them....

Ehem, back to what I think is you main point of concern, that of contact between Scandinavia and Byzantine at the time. Yes: the north-south trade routes broke down in the 6th century and were re-established east-west with the Franks during the Carolingian age. The nobility of the north greatly desired the lifestyle and trappings of the Frankish courts, and traded extensively with them, but our problem today is that the recorded history of interactions with the peripheral north are scant--and then non-existent in the 7th century, even as the Danes became neighbors as the Saxons were subsumed.

So what could the PCs know about Byzantine? Precious little, except as a distant, powerful jewel from which rich treasures come. They would have encountered remnants of this while raising the British Isles, and could even find people who knew how to get there, following the trade routes. Another avenue presents itself, however: Staraya Lagoda was an established trade center by the 750s, and served as the northern terminus for links down the Rivers to the Black Sea and the holdings of Byzantium--assuming you could navigate past the Khazars and other such horse-peoples.

Yes, the trade network really ramped-up in the early 800s and Staraya Lagoda fell under "Varangian" control directly by the mid-800s, but it exists at the time of your setting and it is no stretch to imagine your PCs finding traders and/or guides who could take them south to "Greek" lands. This would take them about a year at most, going there and back by boat and portage between rivers.

Bonus points to you, if you embroil the PCs in the Byzantine-Bulgar issues of the day.

--Khanwulf

Comment

My conversion ideas for whole Lunar Road concept in 2E Forsaken.

New Fetish – Pathstones (FETISH ••)
          Pathstones are mystically connected two items in what one Spirit of Travel was locked, so they can create Lunar Road between them.

Effect: These fetishes are always crated in pairs, from the one, same spirit. They can be stones, but also any items that can be split into two. Beside need to create Lunar Road ( see below ), they resonate with one another on mystical level. When spoke to one of pair, the voice can be heard in the another one, regardless of distance.

New Pack Rite – Forge Lunar Road (•••)
          Luna Road is temporary mystical tunnel in Shadow between two Loci sustained by now ruling Lunar Choir, letting to travel almost instantly to destination. Contrasted to Hidden Path Rite of Hunters in Darkness, Lunar Road can only be created between set of Pathstones and only under the light of Moon.

Symbols: Pathstones, moon, path, shadow

Sample Rite: Ritemaster circles his Pathstone, preparing the bridge between the worlds – he tries to find best way to cross the circle to the Pathstone, without adumbrate the item in any way. ( Wits + Survival )

Cost: 1 Essence per traveler on Lunar Road.
          Action: Extended (50 - 5 successes for each Loci rating dot; each roll represents 10 minutes)

Roll Results
          Dramatic Failure: The rite fails, and the set of Pathstones is ruined.

Failure: The rite fails.

Success: A Lunar Road — a tunnel of silvery light — opens up in front of the ritemaster, allowing all who enter to traverse the Shadow quickly and safely. The normal amount of time it would take to travel between the loci is cut in half for each 5 success generated (halved for 5, quartered for 10, eighthed for 15, etc.) – ritemaster can perform this Rite longer than needed Action Target Number only to have better speed for travelers. Road will send up number of beings equal to spend in Essence and close up after last of it ‘take it’.

Exceptional Success: Traveling on the Lunar Road takes next to no time. The characters arrive one minute after departure.
          Last edited by wyrdhamster; 01-09-2018, 04:30 AM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post
            Another avenue presents itself, however: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staraya_Ladoga"]Staraya Lagoda[/URL] was an established trade center by the 750s, and served as the northern terminus for links down the Rivers to the Black Sea and the holdings of Byzantium--assuming you could navigate past the Khazars and other such horse-peoples.

Yes, the trade network really ramped-up in the early 800s and Staraya Lagoda fell under "Varangian" control directly by the mid-800s, but it exists at the time of your setting and it is no stretch to imagine your PCs finding traders and/or guides who could take them south to "Greek" lands. This would take them about a year at most, going there and back by boat and portage between rivers.

Bonus points to you, if you embroil the PCs in the Byzantine-Bulgar issues of the day.
            Oh, if there was Staraya Lagoda from 753 and routes there are active - it almost solve the problem I have. If PC can get to Constantinopol and back in less than year - it looks like more a longer raid than 'epic travel needing decades to finish'. They just need to convince their Jarl to finance the expedition...
            Last edited by wyrdhamster; 09-05-2017, 12:06 PM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

As coming for the travel to being possible in our game - I will write in coming weeks how Pathstones Fetish and Forge Lunar Road works in real WtF 2E game.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Working...
              X