[2E] Fear of Scales – Dragon Idigam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post
    He certainly wouldn't resort to formlessness again once coalesced--my understanding of the idigam is that they do want to acquire a concept and even lack a means to reverse the process once they have done so. I could be quite wrong however.
    It's not impossible — the mechanics for it exist — but it's certainly unlikely:

Originally posted by Twin States of Being
    A Coalesced can return to Formlessness by spending Willpower points equal to twice its current Rank when it is sent into dormancy due to damage or a lack of Essence. This is extremely rare; most Coalesced have no desire to descend into Formlessness again.

Resident Lore-Hound
    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

I mean, the odds of an idigam even having that much willpower left after a fight that sends it dormant...

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
        It's not impossible — the mechanics for it exist — but it's certainly unlikely:
        If spirits are confined to a max of 10 WP points, that means rank 6 coalesced Idigam are unable to "uncoalesce".

Comment

Originally posted by Malus View Post
          If spirits are confined to a max of 10 WP points, that means rank 6 coalesced Idigam are unable to "uncoalesce".
          Spirits of Rank 1-5 are subject to that limit, but if the likes of Gurdilag ever have need of a reroll there's not much actually stopping them.

Resident Lore-Hound
          Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

I always thought once it Uncoalesced it was, effectively, over. It wouldn't become that same Coalesced idigam again, it would become some other thing when it glommed onto an idea with more traction and less obstacle.

Comment

Some thoughts on running second confrontation with Idigam, this time in it's Nest with it's spawn...

1. Dragonfire Dread Power is simply too powerful at wolves in this version:

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
              New Dread Power - Dragonfire
              (Based on the same called Atavism from Beast: The Primodrial )
              Idigam can blast area with gouts of fire. This counts as a ranged area attack on his Rank radius circle and requires a roll of Idigam’s Power + Finesse. Beings in area can use Dodge action to counter this if they do not use any action in this turn. Damage from blast is Aggravated and adds Idigam’s Rank as a weapon modifier. Flammable materials ignite on contact, turning the area into a raging inferno if it is not contained quickly. Then again, that may be the point. Dragonfire ignores Durability equal to the Idigam’s Rank dots. Furthermore, fire causes no damage to Idigam, and she never suffers environmental penalties or damage caused by heat and smoke, which are like clear air to her.
              Aggravated damage on levels of 5-9 per roll is instant kill to most starting Uratha characters - it's will be killing for most veteran ones also. Going with Lethal damage with Idigam’s Power + Finesse + Automatic Rank vs Dodge roll seems more working to not instant kill characters, but ALSO generate Aggravated damage ( from whole filled Health track in Form ) in 1st, max 2nd attack on character.

Question comes when characters go with Gauru forms - then their Health levels roses +4 and their Regeneration abilities make them nullified up to this 11-12 Lethals in one turn. How could Dragonfire be more balanced so even in Gauru few hits - like 4-5 - would make character near death, even with whole Lethal damage negation?

2. Giving Idigam the Armor equal to Resistance makes it 'unhittable'. Armor 10 in Fear of Scales example makes beast only having any Damage on it with super Exceptional Success hits from PCs. I will stay with Armor equal to Rank only for this beings from Colossus Dread Power - and start separate topic on wider problem. Here is topic to talk about various Dread Powers balance.
              Last edited by wyrdhamster; 12-15-2017, 11:41 PM.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Just use Lethal damage, like the standard version of the power it's based on.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                  Just use Lethal damage, like the standard version of the power it's based on.
                  Used in combat - and rewritting Dragonfire to use Lethal normally. But still try to balance it to make on typical Uratha around 1-2 Aggravated per attack in Gauru even.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

New version of Dragonfire - changed damage to Lethal and added 1 Essence cost per use...

Dragonfire
                    By spending 1 Essence, Idigam can blast individual targets in range (5/10/15) with gouts of fire. This counts as a ranged attack with a thrown weapon and requires a roll of Idigam’s Power + Finesse – the opponent’s Defense. Damage is Lethal and adds Rank as a weapon modifier. Flammable materials ignite on contact, turning the area into a raging inferno if it is not contained quickly. Dragonfire ignores Durability equal to the Idigam’s Rank dots. Then again, that may be the point. Furthermore, fire causes no damage to Idigam, and she never suffers environmental penalties or damage caused by heat and smoke, which are like clear air to her.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I'm going to make modern forms for Fear of Scales - Virtual Reality Dragon or... Smog Dragon. What should I stat first?

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                        I'm going to make modern forms for Fear of Scales - Virtual Reality Dragon or... Smog Dragon. What should I stat first?
                        If we get the former, does it come with this:

(Sorry, had to ask.)

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                        The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                        Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Was thinking about writing Smog Dragon first, but I see that Uppsala is generally rather healthy in air. So will hammer Virtual Reality Dragon form, as you all secretly wanted.
                          Last edited by wyrdhamster; 02-27-2018, 04:40 AM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

It’s taken a lot, but I finally found good inspiration. I present to you…

Fear of Scales – Virtual Reality Dragon Form

In the dark and deep World Wide Web there are… places… where ancient horrors are reformed into new shapes. Old discussion forums and new ‘chans’ and creepypasta portals are spreading old fears in modern context. Video games and TV series are raising stories eldritch scaled horrors from the beginning of times. And Fear of Scales once more feed on this stories, taking new Form at the dawn of 21st century. One of new ‘addition’ of this Idigam reimagining is that can assume form of data stream, transferring over real world data networks and storages.

Virtual Reality Dragon looks more or like the Eastern European Dragon – only somehow ‘faked’ or more ‘unreal’. In some instances he takes dark colors of ‘black screen and green cursor’, connected with ‘hacker community’ of WWW.

New Manifestation - Body of Data
                            Ephemeral Being can assume form of living data in electronics device or network. De facto it becomes very large file running on any operating system, that can easily transfer itself over networks or multiply. Once Multiplying it can work through it’s copies as once mind in many instances, like usage of One Million Eyes on Idigam Servants. To change into Body of Data, being need to pay 3 Essence. Each new ‘file’ copy costs number of Rank in Essence. To finally destroy Being, each copy of it need to be deleted and then, final Twilight Form be destroyed.

Attributes: Power 12, Finesse 8, Resistance 10
                            Willpower: 10
                            Essence: 50
                            Initiative: 18
                            Defense: 8
                            Armor: 4/0
                            Speed: 30
                            Size: 24
                            Corpus: 58
                            Influences: Reptiles 2, Fear 2, Internet 2
                            Numina: Drain, Emotional Aura ( Fear ), Seek
                            Manifestations: Body of Data*, Discorporate, Materialize, Reaching, Twilight Form
                            Essence Shaping: Essence Void, Essence Venom, Gauntlet Manipulation, Forge Servant ( Claimed, Herald, Spawn), Locus Manipulation, One Million Eyes
                            Dread Powers: Colossus, Devourer, Hibernate, Nightmare Plague, Shifting, Soul Furnace
                            Ban: Idigam must ‘devour’ each story written about it on the Internet when in it’s vicinity. Idigam changes in to Body of Data and as his file form tries to destroy original file. Finding it on the server.
                            Bane: Hard drive with very first written video game with dragon in it. ( From my research it would be some MUD in year 1976. )

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Reading about Geyro in Shunned by the Moon book, I like how developers took general idea of 'ancient evil, something like Idigam - but based on myths' - like the Fear of Scales itself - and made some new Prey category that is much more fitting to the shown idea, than Idigam as direct antagonists template. In free time, I will do alternative Fear of Scales write-up to that of Geyro, as it's much more fitting.
                              Last edited by wyrdhamster; 07-20-2019, 02:02 PM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Here is Fear of Scales as Geryo. I still need to imagine World Shaking effect for it.

Fear of Scales as Geryo
                                Geryo are First Children of Father Wolf. First mightiest predators that Urfarah unleashed on world of Pangea. Imperfect, flawed, unstable. Locked in Border Marches by their parent, left to die in new created Gauntlet. And Fear of Scales is probably first of them all. Scion of Wolf and Snake.

When first Homo Sapiens found first great reptile in darkness, Fear of Scales was there. When man uncovered first dinosaur bones, telling stories of those impossible beasts – Fear of Scales was there. It was there, in darkness, waiting to slay new brave man to feed by their dedication. And it’s waiting to this day. Releasing from its Gauntlet Lair by centuries apart, it hunts.

Fear survived this long by two things – death and rebirth. Like a Snake it is spawn of, it ‘shed the skin’ and change itself, physically and metaphorically. Each time humans change their stories about mythical reptiles most of us known as dragons – it’s Fear in its new form, feeding from stories of mortals. Can you really kill the story?

The Pray

Fear of Scales is a creature of myths. Of stories. Like a literal dragon it is, it’s main purpose is to test and defeat those that are destined to greatness. ‘Heroes’, as myths like to call them. It is not only to kill the would-be champion – but to test it, hare him, break him – and then kill him, before he become the savior of community, in his final decision. At least, that was from the time immemorial.

With death of Father Wolf and creation of Gauntlet that become it’s home – Fear has changed. It evolved. With death of Urfarah, it’s natural role was broken. Era of true beasts and heroes is past. Only some petty humans and pesky werewolves. Fear evolved with the times it lived in. It started to look for next champions to be defeated and devoured, but cannot found any. So it’s started to create them itself.

When Sacred Hunt is calling Fear, it looks into ‘River of Fate’ and sense if someone has great destiny on itself. Someone who will become hero in near future – firefighter that by bravely will save family from burning building. Policeman that will stop murderer on duty. Attorney that will save the life of young child by pressing the charges. People that will achieve real good in future. And then Fear is hunting them, stealing their great future – and changing it to be struggle with ancient reptile monster. When the narrative of their life really change – Fear is reaping both the Essence of this struggle and meat of his hero-victim.

Most will not survive more than one, two meetings with Fear. Like a cat playing with mouse, Fear feel it’s not enough. So between calls of Siskur-Dah, it creates problems for future heroes to solve. Devouring corpses, poisoning the wells and lakes, stealing virgins – actions that will create chaos and make to act to solve them. In coming millennia, more and more Fear is dedicated to sowing the chaos than direct hunting people. Still, good meal is needed to have energy to plot next conspiracy – or something like that.

Uratha here are twice good candidates for the ‘heroes’ Fear looks to devour. For one, they are race of scions from greatest predator and goddess of nearest sky planet. They are superb hunters. And Fate, in some weird coincidence, is favoring them as actors in greatest of universe plays. ‘Children of two primordial parents, star crossed, one of that their children killed.’ It’s almost like Greek tragedy. If you find promising werewolf, it can easily become ‘hero’ Geryo need. Best are those that are blessed by Luna with some unfathomed destiny.

Second, makes Uratha so delicious meal, is that they are ‘correct’ children of Urfarah. Fear was mistake in Father Wolf eyes. Werewolves are lucky ones, the beloved ones, the ones who came after and were considered complete. However, while killing Uratha is an indulgent pleasure, it is the slow dwindle, the cruel defeat, that truly satisfy Fear. It prefers to bring a werewolf low, to mire the prey in his own failings and slowly tear away the foundations of his world, then leave him to despair amid the wreckage — possibly infected with the Geryo strain.

When not actively on the Hunt, Fear is in it’s Lair in Gauntlet Realm, rarely staying longer in similar small Lairs in Flesh or Spirit, however its hunting or planning to flush up. Lesser Lairs are its Spawn and local Heralds meeting places for plotting and kidnaping would-be heroes or their ‘saved ones’.

Servants

Being mythical Dragon, Fear of Scales likes to use his own Spawn as lesser minions. To represent the story it’s created in each iteration, it choose human or werewolf Herald that plays a role of ‘sole survivor of Dragon’s attack’ in alarming next community First want to test. Fear then consumes generated Essence by the doubt this news makes in community.

Description

Fear of Scales do not hides it nature when confronted. It’s assume the most popular image of dragon in particular times – in the end, stories of its terrible deeds are sustaining it by eons now - but it’s always reptilian horror being, sending fear in the hearts of human and werewolves. In Vikings Era it could resemble mythical Nidhogg – this form is a long, serpentine being gliding in the air that spread acid on the ground and have taste for human corpses. In high Middle Ages, it can be classical foul reptilian beast of Saint George - with scales and great wings. Only real common points are its size – about of great plane – and it’s reptilian features.
                                Fear can shapechange body parts of it into lesser beings – like one of four legs or his heads – and send them as his avatars, in physical disguise. However, most of the time it much more like to choose it’s Heralds and his Spawn as much more suited to long term infiltration missions than real parts of itself.

Killing Form

All First can assume Killing Form, Gauru equivalent for Geryo, often with multiple limbs or body parts. Fear is very simple in it’s Form – it has three heads and great wings. Legends say that each head is looking into other realm – Flesh, Shadow and Gauntlet.

Rumors

Some rumors points that Geryo Orocheiros ( see Shunned by the Moon ) is latest incarnation of Fear of Scales. Others that they are simply related by common parentage.

Stats

Fear of Scales
                                Blood: Sadistic
                                Bone: Testing
                                Attributes: Power 15, Finesse 14, Resistance 13
                                Willpower: 10
                                Essence: 50
                                Initiative: 27
                                Defense: 14
                                Speed: 29
                                Size: 30
                                Corpus: 43 (73)
                                World Shaking: ???
                                Gifts: (Death) All; (Dominance) All; (Hunger) All; (Insight) All; (Weather) All
                                Dread Powers: Burrow, Colossus, Dragonfire, Forge Servant (Herald, Spawn)
                                Ban: Fear of Scales must follow the taboo of the story it now recreates with its victim. Most often it’s need to eat people willingly sacrificing for others. Fear then need to leave this community for at least year and one day.
                                Bane: The bones of a human who possessed an Integrity rating of 10 when they died. In medieval times, this person would be called saint.

New Dread Power - Dragonfire
                                First can blast area with gouts of fire. This counts as a ranged area attack on his Rank radius circle and requires a roll of Geryo’s Power + Finesse. Beings in area can use Dodge action to counter this if they do not use any action in this turn. Damage from blast is Aggravated and adds First’s Rank as a weapon modifier. Flammable materials ignite on contact, turning the area into a raging inferno if it is not contained quickly. Then again, that may be the point. Dragonfire ignores Durability equal to the Geryo’s Rank dots. Furthermore, fire causes no damage to First, and it never suffers environmental penalties or damage caused by heat and smoke, which are like clear air to it.

Alternative Dread Power – Colossus
                                If possible use of Storypath corebooks, instead of adding extra Size Health and modifying Armour for being, assume that Colossus being has Scale equal to its Rank and normal people have Scale 1. Uratha in Gauru and similar changers have Scale rise up by 1, so Scale 2 to comparison.
                                Last edited by wyrdhamster; 07-21-2019, 08:02 AM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Working...
                                X