Story telling challenges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Story telling challenges

So, I intend to run a were wolf game later down the line. I've loved 2nd edition since it came out, and I loved the chronicle that the last storyteller played through. Now I want to take my own hand at telling a werewolf story, and I'm fielding ideas and inspirations from my players. One player In particular though, I know doesn't like being a werewolf very much. One of the issues was she doesn't like canines, so I offered to let her be some other predator and "play as" Uratha. She seemed to like that fine, but the bigger problem is that she doesn't really like the main themes, the hunter's instinct, animism, none of it. She said she would probably wind up playing a werewolf that isn't really invested in the hunting or animism stuff...but at that point why is she a werewolf? And it makes it hard for me to portray other werewolvs that don't view her as some sort of fool or failure. So I'm looking for advice on how to make a werewolf game that still leaves room for enjoyment of a player that doesn't really get werewolf?

Originally posted by Wild-Eyes View Post
    So, I intend to run a were wolf game later down the line. I've loved 2nd edition since it came out, and I loved the chronicle that the last storyteller played through. Now I want to take my own hand at telling a werewolf story, and I'm fielding ideas and inspirations from my players. One player In particular though, I know doesn't like being a werewolf very much. One of the issues was she doesn't like canines, so I offered to let her be some other predator and "play as" Uratha. She seemed to like that fine, but the bigger problem is that she doesn't really like the main themes, the hunter's instinct, animism, none of it. She said she would probably wind up playing a werewolf that isn't really invested in the hunting or animism stuff...but at that point why is she a werewolf? And it makes it hard for me to portray other werewolvs that don't view her as some sort of fool or failure. So I'm looking for advice on how to make a werewolf game that still leaves room for enjoyment of a player that doesn't really get werewolf?
    Does she care about "territory"? Does she have competitveness streaks? Play off the other tropes of werewolves. Fame, fortune, glory, favors, heroism.... that sort of thing.

It would help to get an idea of what she likes.

The "hunt" is not merely a literal hunt, but the pursuit of an objective with higher meaning than the act itself. There is reward in this, prizes to be had. Predatory hunts are simply but one way of doing things, as is scavanging or going to Best Buy. Taken less literally, it is a Quest
    Last edited by Almarck; 09-13-2017, 01:00 PM.

Mechs: Because even the Chronicles of Darkness needs robot fights.
    DarkFrame: Crossover setting that puts Chronicles of Darkness in the far future that is Warframe.
    Monarch: The Endless You are an alien ruler, charged with maintaining a people who you shape to suit your needs.

Comment

She likes science, mummies, and usually likes to play rather shy or demure characters. She does enjoy playing heroes some times. Most often, she finds some kind of trope for her character, like "has a huge sword" or "huck it into the sun" and then tries to use said gag as a solution for every conceivable situation XD. I suppose I could try to pitch the heroism and family angle to her as well. I know she has a general aversion to general were wolf showboating or pissing contests. A point of contention I had was I asked her what werewolf themes she did likeand she couldn't think of any. Maybe another read through myself might help me come up with something she finds compelling.

Comment

Werewolves can often focus a hunt, so they can hunt for secrets or lost lore. There's lodges that focus on that, too, like the Lodge of Death which focuses on hunting down ghosts and other creatures that have lived past their alotted time, which could include mummies.

While the gauru form doesn't change in the rules as written, the Skin Thief Gift can let you permanently change your wolf form to any other predator of roughly comparable size. It would only take a fetish to allow that to extend to other forms.

Unfortunately it does sound like she's just not into it, in that case, does she really want to play? Sure she might get into it later, but if she's not interested at all there's no reason to force the issue, though it's entirely possible you could just make a really cool game that she'll get into.

Comment

That all sounds like good advice. I may run the lodge of death, and the general concept of hunting for knowledge past her. It can probably even go well with her half joking ancient aliens theorist concept.

And yeah, that may just be the case that she's not into it. That said, I think that if I compare werewolves general need to hunt to a Mage's obsession, it might click better for her.

Is there a place I can find an updated version of the lodge of death?
          Last edited by Wild-Eyes; 09-13-2017, 02:16 PM.

Comment

I don't think there is one. It got a brief mention in the Pack book. 'The Lodge of Death hunt ghosts, the undead, and those who would live beyond their allotted time.' There's several more with small descriptions like that.

There's five written up in the book, with second edition rules. The Lodge of Garm, who hunt the strongest werewolves, representing one of the pillars of the Tribes, specifically the Blood Talons. The Lodge of the Screaming Moon, who hunt 'scary' monsters and attempt to become the scariest creature in the area, representing an Auspice-based lodge, in this case the Cahalith, though others can join. The Thousand Steel Teeth, who hunt by car or other vehicle, sort of with a Mad Max vibe, they'll hunt anything but tend to go for things on the highways and byways of the world, they're there to show a different way to hunt. The Temple of Apollo, far-out ghost wolves who worship a being of light living in our solar system that feeds upon the souls offered up to it, they have a tendency to build temples. And the Eaters of the Dead, who hunt and kill the undead to replenish the stolen power of their recently-resurrected Firstborn totem.

Comment

Is there a reason why she can't play a Wolf-Blooded in the game? In 2E that's a very plausible role to have her play without forcing her to play something that it seems she really doesn't want to play.

Comment

Only I so far I would be worried that she might feel left out in some scenes and being less powerful and stuff. Not a bad option and one I will think of presenting.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Eyes View Post
                  Only I so far I would be worried that she might feel left out in some scenes and being less powerful and stuff. Not a bad option and one I will think of presenting.
                  Being a Wolf-Blooded might also serve as a ease-into the actual setting. She might find that she likes Werewolf and asks to go through the First Change. As for feeling less powerful: let her have more tells - and emphasize how a wolf-blooded helps out in a pack.

Comment

i dont know if it is doable but could she play maybe the pack totem???

Currently running: Scion 2nd Edition. Les L├ęgendes
                    Currently playing: Being a dad for a 1year old daughter and a newborn son.

Comment

Originally posted by Aynie View Post

Being a Wolf-Blooded might also serve as a ease-into the actual setting. She might find that she likes Werewolf and asks to go through the First Change. As for feeling less powerful: let her have more tells - and emphasize how a wolf-blooded helps out in a pack.
                      Further, she'd likely prefer the more esoteric tells rather than the "savage ones".

Comment

Originally posted by Maitrecorbo View Post
                        i dont know if it is doable but could she play maybe the pack totem???
                        That's a whole another can of worms. You don't ask someone who dislikes the notion of predatory instincts to portray a thing fueled by them.

Comment

They are more inherently animistic. A werewolf can basically ignore the Hisil if it wants. A spirit doesn't have that advantage.

On the other hand you do get a wider variety of things you can be with a spirit, as a spirit can be anything but human. It might be a good option, I believe the Pack has the experience tables for them. They aren't as mechanically complex as werewolves.

Comment

I have similar playeress in my own game - she ended played Bone Shadows Ithaeur and hunts for secrets and like to talk to spirits. But yeah, starting here with Wolf-Blooded with non-transformative Tells sounds as a way to 'convince' playeress. Mark her Wolf-Bloodedness as 'family curse' scenario and put it as one of major plots in chronicle - and I think it will work out.

And if she in the end dislike Uratha as werewolves, you can always run her as other Changing Breeds character - only must know you need to homebrew or use fan rules as they do not have official 2E ruleset.

In the end Wolf-Blooded can really have other Beast-Blooded, Tells will work more or less the same.

Or she maybe interesting in playing 'wolf changing to woman', then you can go with Urhanu character.
                            Last edited by wyrdhamster; 09-14-2017, 03:41 AM.

My stuff for Scion 2E, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
                            LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

If you're willing to do (very limited) cross-splat work, you could give her a wolf-blooded tell AND make her Proximi with no contact to Mage society. That works on the "family curse" angle and plants her in "useful witch" territory.

--Khanwulf

Comment

Working...
                              X