Idigam idea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idigam idea

I came up with an idea for a Idigam and it's cult and would like some advice on it.
    The basic idea is a Idigam called the Dark Cackler. This Idigam escaped from the Moon during the 1969 moon landing and, for some unknown reason, took a form of a giant, black hyena with burning red eyes. It is usually associated with it's demonic cackle and it's odd ability to make anyone in it's vicinity turn into giggling fools. It's cult is made out of psychopaths that dress as clowns to amuse their victims with their antics and jokes before killing them.

Can i have some help building this Idigam and it's cult mechanically and detailing why this Idigam likes inducing uncontrollable laughter?

Reminds me of the tale of the Wandering Jester.

You might give it a werewolf Herald that takes the form of a hyena instead of a werewolf, or you could use first edition's Hyena-people, the Bouda, from Skinchangers to add some supernatural to the cult.

A variant of Essence Venom that causes some sort of insane laughter Condition in addition to Poisoned might fit. The Devourer and Nightmare Plague (again with some sort of maddening laughter variant instead of nightmares) Dread Powers seem like they would fit. You could give it Soul Slave and have it surrounded by souls that ceaselessly howl with laughter. The obvious Numina seem to be Aggressive Meme, Dement, or Emotional Aura.

How big do you want this cult to be?

EDIT: As Satchel points out, idigam aren't just monsters, they're stories unto themselves, so you might want to think more about that.
    Last edited by nofather; 10-10-2017, 11:31 PM.

Comment

You've left the event of its Coalescence, the reason for its cult's murderousness, and the particulars of its abnormal impact on the Shadow blank, which leaves us with a handful of simple concepts to bridge between without much in the way of a goal. What sort of story are you looking to tell with these things and why does it necessitate a cult-having idigam?

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
      Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
        You've left the event of its Coalescence, the reason for its cult's murderousness, and the particulars of its abnormal impact on the Shadow blank, which leaves us with a handful of simple concepts to bridge between without much in the way of a goal. What sort of story are you looking to tell with these things and why does it necessitate a cult-having idigam?
        It's Coalescence could've possibly happened in a place of extreme laughter, perhaps a theme park? The cult is murderous because a lot of the members were already murderous psycho's who were given the right opportunity by the Cackler. I don't know how to detail it's affect on the shadow.

Comment

Originally posted by Killerclown View Post
          It's Coalescence could've possibly happened in a place of extreme laughter, perhaps a theme park?
          Alright. What differentiates this from a powerful spirit of mirth born in the same circumstances? Why is it content to let its cult cut off perfectly good sources of laughter?

The cult is murderous because a lot of the members were already murderous psycho's who were given the right opportunity by the Cackler.
          Right, but the question remains how Laughter-Creature A plugs into Murder-Folk B to form Killer-Laugh-Cult C when the Cackler doesn't seem to have any investment in murder. As it stands we only have the out-of-narrative explanation of "I wanted this antagonist to have a cult of murder-clowns," which — if that is the most important thing about the Cackler — merits a stronger connection between the nature of the creature and its cult.

Were these cultists all acquainted with each other before the cult? Did the Cackler start the cult, or is it merely the object of their devotion? Why did they go with the clown shtick instead of another form of comedy? How does a typical kill with the Cackler go for the cult?

I don't know how to detail it's affect on the shadow.
          What I'm getting at is that I can't see anything in the concept that necessitates the Cackler be an idigam instead of a magath or the spirit of a particularly messed up murder.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
          Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Working...
          X