[2E Fan] Lodge of The Roman Ritual

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2E Fan] Lodge of The Roman Ritual

I watched today Exorcist for Halloween, so I’m in mood to do this Lodge. As always, rules follow those from The Pack book and are inspired from WtF 2E Lodge sum up. I only made slight change that most members are Wolf-Blooded as proper Uratha-exorcist should be rare. I will edit the Opening Post when things will get clearer or more hammered. Here you go.

Lodge of The Roman Ritual

Priests, Exorcists, Servants of Cross

Most Storm Lords takes out any Spirit-Claimed they see as abominations to Urfarah – and kill their loved ones on their own claws. But there are those that try to save the mortals from deadly soul communion with malevolent spirit. And those champions serves communions on their own masses.

Lodge of Roman Ritual is group of Catholic priests that also happen to be werewolves. Serving the ancient traditions of Rite of Exorcism they strive to expel spirits that taken humans as Claimed by their prayers and powers, granted both from God the Father and Mother Wolf. As there are much more Wolf-Blooded than Uratha in Church, most are only blessed with their Tells and knowledge of secret Roman Ritual - Banish Rite variant steeped in Catholic symbology that is powerful enough to push even Claiming spirit from the hosts body. Talked often as unofficial ‘Fourth Pillar’ of the Tribe, Priests – as called by other Storm Lords – are always one phone call to come to other Scions of Urfarah. The phone doesn’t ring all that often — too many Storm Lords see calling for help as a violation of their tribal oath — but when the prey is your son, your brother, or your best friend, that call can be mighty last chance to save their lives.

Note: For this Lodge write up Spirit Ridden means both groups of Spirit-Urged and Spirit-Claimed.

TOTEM: He Who Suffer on Cross
    Suffering is good. Suffering is needed. Suffering is necessary. Without suffering, you do not understand your limitations and cannot break those restrictions to perfect yourself. Just like Christ suffered for our sins to perfect us, He Who Suffer on Cross is perfecting humanity, by letting them to suffer. As old Strom Lords saying goes ‘What will not kill you, will strengthen you’. Until you are not faced with real suffering, you cannot truly grasp that you all have is good. He Who Suffer on Cross is in reality, of course, only feeding on your suffering – but it does not make his lesson anywhere less true.

And to truly feed on people, totem need them to suffer – but alive also. Without the end of suffering, it’s lesson will only be endless pain and target will not have time to realize truths of suffering. And to stop the pain, spirit target Spirit-Ridden. Those are people that suffered most, but are still locked in their bodies like in the cage, controlled by alien force of spirit. Freeing the Ridden from it’s misery to let him heal his wounds is generating so much Essence for the totem, he is more than eager to equip his agents to fight for this.

On the other hand, Storm Lords understand. Tribe do not want to show weakness – and Spirit-Ridden is greatest statement of failure one can see. But simply killing the host is not solving anything – it only makes you weak, as you needlessly sacrifice your loved ones. Someday, simply some other mortal will be prey to the spirits fate. No, true Scions of Urfarah do not run from problems – they fight them. And so, Servants of the Cross are there to end your suffering – so you can end someone else’s, someday.

He Who Suffer on Cross show himself to his adherents as Jesus Christ figure in thorn crown on wooden cross – only that he is somehow shadowed, making very hard to see details of his feature, like it was half-darkened room. You cannot exactly say how he looks like – only that he is watching you from the Cross, always.

BONDS

Blessing: Roman Ritual is all based as sacred battle of wills with forces of darkness. Each Exorcist has understanding of Ban and Bane the Spirit Ridden he is seeing. If Exorcist have this kind of power from other source, he get’s +3 bonus of activating other similar powers. Adherents also get's +3 bonus to proper exorcism rolls - Wolf-Blooded members mostly use Abjuration/Exorcism rules from CoD Rulebook, Uratha use Roman Ritual Rite described below on this.

Aspiration: To save those that are Spirit-Ridden.

Ban: You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain – it’s also extended to the name of Urfarah itself. Beside Roman Ritual itself, Lodge members cannot say ‘Urfarah’, can use only descriptors, like Wolf Mother.

SACRED HUNT
    The Lodge’s Sacred Hunt let to sense life force and will of the Claimed individual in it’s own controlled body. Character knows from Storyteller about Spirit-Ridden Health and Willpower status, just by looking on it.

TOOLS
    Lodge of Shield adherents may purchase the Lodge Connections, Lodge Lorehouse, and Lodge Sorcery Merits.

Roman Ritual - Banish Rite variant (••)

This rite invokes the pack’s authority as guardian between the two worlds, casting intruders out from realms to which they do not belong.
    Symbols: Cross, Bible, Roman Ritual
    Sample Rite: Rite follows Catholic Rite of Exorcism. Invoking names of Gods powers and his investments in the world, Rite strive to force spirit from the victim and end it’s Conditions. Wolf-Blooded participants get’s bonus or penalty based on their Integrity level just like they would roll Breaking Point. (Presence + Occult)
    Action: Extended (Spirit Ridden’s Resistance; each roll represents 1 minute); spirits may contest with their Resistance
    Success: This rite banishes a targeted spirit from the mortal body into Shadow. The banished creature appears at the corresponding point in its appropriate realm. There are reports that this rite also works on Wound-tainted spirit servants of the dread Maeljin if conducted in the Wound in question, pushing them out of the Shadow and into somewhere else beyond the Uratha’s ken.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 05-08-2018, 04:28 AM.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Could you take a look on this - Acrozatarim , nofather, 21C Hermit ?
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 10-31-2017, 01:50 AM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

While I like the general idea, it doesn't really strike me as much of a hunt that they do, or even a cult.

You might want to start with a totem, then decide what they're getting out of it. Because if a spirit cares about people not being claimed enough to form a cult of werewolves to do it, there has to be a reason for it beyond the kindness of its predatory, alien heart.

Look at the Pain Angel. It's a spirit of healing. So it does harm.

Would the totem of this lodge urge the exorcism of spirits to make the victim more susceptible to later attempts, and the spirits stronger, better at hiding it and not getting caught? That seems a bit high concept for a spirit, but you see where the idea goes.

Feel free to make the totem something weird. Potentially even a claimed. Maybe he's a hive-giant and he wants more spirits.
      Last edited by nofather; 10-31-2017, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Taken's nofather's tips, I cooked new version of Totem and Ban sections. For rest - assume the are the same as in opening posts for now.

TOTEM: Man On The Cross
        ‘The Power of Christ compels you!’ It’s calling of Exorcists to expel demons. But why it works on them? Shadow Realm does not seems to point existence of Judeochristian God. So why those words work in Roman Ritual in the first place?

Man On The Cross is answer. It’s a spirit of Cross as symbol of fighting with Evil. Or other religions. And by those combats – it feeds. Man is not the Christians Savior he looks like – he is predator using faith as mean to hunt and defeat his rivals. Taking upon the myths of healing powers of Christs, he likes to win those fights by exorcising any Spirit-Ridden. In his mind, the dinner that served is just much, much, much more sweater when ripped from the flesh of mortal.

When showing to his adherents he looks like classical Jesus Christ figure in thorn crown on wooden cross – only that he is somehow shadowed, making very hard to see details of his feature, like it was half-darkened room.

Ban: You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain – and as Man on the Cross is not Jesus Christ or Almighty – so should not his name be used by his followers. It’s also extended to the name of Urfarah itself. Beside Roman Ritual itself, Lodge members cannot say ‘Jesus Christ’ or ‘Urfarah’, can use only descriptors, like Savior or Wolf Mother. It’s somehow problematic with more important speeches to be made.
        Last edited by wyrdhamster; 11-01-2017, 09:05 AM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Now it seems like they would be more focused on hunting down members of other religions and cults.

Honestly it seems like you could just have it as a rare rite than a lodge which only serves to use the rite. Or emphasize the Storm Lord angle and have it be about strength through pain, where you get rid of the rite and have them simply use the spirits bane to drive it out of claimed, believing what doesn't kill the host makes them stronger.

Comment

Okay, changed Totem to work much more with suffering idea. I still think he can work with Roman Ritual rite as it is. And I think the Totem and Lodge need new Ban - but I have empty head on it.

TOTEM: He Who Suffer on Cross
            Suffering is good. Suffering is needed. Suffering is necessary. Without suffering, you do not understand your limitations and cannot break those restrictions to perfect yourself. Just like Christ suffered for our sins to perfect us, He Who Suffer on Cross is perfecting humanity, by letting them to suffer. As old Strom Lords saying goes ‘What will not kill you, will strengthen you’. Until you are not faced with real suffering, you cannot truly grasp that you all have is good. He Who Suffer on Cross is in reality, of course, only feeding on your suffering – but it does not make his lesson anywhere less true.

And to truly feed on people, totem need them to suffer – but alive also. Without the end of suffering, it’s lesson will only be endless pain and target will not have time to realize truths of suffering. And to stop the pain, spirit target Spirit-Ridden. Those are people that suffered most, but are still locked in their bodies like in the cage, controlled by alien force of spirit. Freeing the Ridden from it’s misery to let him heal his wounds is generating so much Essence for the totem, he is more than eager to equip his agents to fight for this.

On the other hand, Storm Lords understand. Tribe do not want to show weakness – and Spirit-Ridden is greatest statement of failure one can see. But simply killing the host is not solving anything – it only makes you weak, as you needlessly sacrifice your loved ones. Someday, simply some other mortal will be prey to the spirits fate. No, true Scions of Urfarah do not run from problems – they fight them. And so, Servants of the Cross are there to end your suffering – so you can end someone else’s, someday.

He Who Suffer on Cross show himself to his adherents as Jesus Christ figure in thorn crown on wooden cross – only that he is somehow shadowed, making very hard to see details of his feature, like it was half-darkened room. You cannot exactly say how he looks like – only that he is watching you from the Cross, always.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

nofather, how do you like this Totem for the Lodge-cult?

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Much better, I think, and fitting with the setting.

Are they going to appear in your Vikings in Byzantium game?

Comment

So you can help me with new Ban for the Totem and Lodge, as this 'vows of silence' do not seems to work with in my mind.

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                  Are they going to appear in your Vikings in Byzantium game?
                  Did not thought about it before - but yes, using earlier version of Roman Ritual Lodge could give nice 'christian' feel to Byzantine werewolves Tribes! Thank you for idea here!

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                    So you can help me with new Ban for the Totem and Lodge, as this 'vows of silence' do not seems to work with in my mind.
                    I've been thinking over a replacement for the Lodge of Fevered Light and I was thinking a good Ban for the ones I've thought of would be not to use Essence for healing. In-game it has a numbing effect, which it says can be addicting because regeneration is a painful situation.

P60, 'The one exception to this is when an Uratha spends Essence to heal. Instead of feeling her body put itself back together, the werewolf feels a refreshing chill. It is almost euphoric. Much like a human can become addicted to morphine for taking away the pain, a werewolf might become addicted to Essence-healing. Even the most superficial cuts become trials for the Uratha, as she is forced to choose between feeling her flesh pull and stretch, or the cool numbness.'

Of course that seems like a better Ban for a high Rank totem.

An alternative might be wearing silver on them, for this lodge in particular probably in the form of a crucifix. Not to cause actual Aggravated damage, but to 'cause intense pain' and scarring. That said, it's not really something that has an easy mechanical representative, I think. Maybe a penalty to some Social rolls, since you're always in pain?

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                      An alternative might be wearing silver on them, for this lodge in particular probably in the form of a crucifix. Not to cause actual Aggravated damage, but to 'cause intense pain' and scarring. That said, it's not really something that has an easy mechanical representative, I think. Maybe a penalty to some Social rolls, since you're always in pain?
                      As I want to bit recast the Lodge as mostly Wolf-Blooded cult, I would rather stick to this Ban idea - regenerative addiction is not anyone but the Uratha can do, in the end. Proper Uratha members will have silver crosses on their chest, to feel constant itch of pain. But for the Wolf-Blooded - they need something more. In previous Eras - and probably till modern times - I think that WB adherents could worn Cilice - effect probably be the same to both, as in reality, Cilice is only making you discomfort, not true wounds. But it's constant, so I think that both Silver Cross and Cilice is giving you simple -1 to ALL rolls when they are on you. If it hurts, it hurts all the time.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Since anyone can do the ‘standard’ Abjuration/Exorcism etc. from the CofD core, would the Exorcists have any edge in performing them? Especially since they’re mostly Wolf-Blooded, and thus expected to work closer to the mortal power level.

(Loving the current totem, btw. Very fitting.)

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
                          Since anyone can do the ‘standard’ Abjuration/Exorcism etc. from the CofD core, would the Exorcists have any edge in performing them? Especially since they’re mostly Wolf-Blooded, and thus expected to work closer to the mortal power level.
                          Would be logical. The simple +3 bonus to those kind of powers could work as good Blessing or Sacred Hunt, but also I do not want to overpower those things for adherents. On the other hand, starting Blessing is only knowing tool. So maybe this version? What do you think about it? It's not overpowerful?

Blessing: Roman Ritual is all based as sacred battle of wills with forces of darkness. Each Exorcist has understanding of Ban and Bane the Spirit Ridden he is seeing. If Exorcist have this kind of power from other source, he get’s +3 bonus of activating other similar powers. Adherents also get's +3 bonus to proper exorcism rolls - Wolf-Blooded members mostly use Abjuration/Exorcism rules from CoD Rulebook, Uratha use Roman Ritual Rite described below on this.
                          Last edited by wyrdhamster; 11-04-2017, 02:26 AM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

Would be logical. The simple +3 bonus to those kind of powers could work as good Blessing or Sacred Hunt, but also I do not want to overpower those things for adherents. On the other hand, starting Blessing is only knowing tool. So maybe this version? What do you think about it? It's not overpowerful?

Actually, I was thinking more of a Merit or some equipment of sort when I was saying that. The original Blessing you had up there was just as good. Can’t comment on whether what you wrote now is overpowered or not, since my senses regarding apt standards for homebrew is dulled at the moment.
                            Last edited by 21C Hermit; 11-04-2017, 02:47 AM. Reason: Typo

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Question sprung to my mind when reading about Eastern Church - Would Byzantine ( and other East Churches ) brothers and sisters in this Lodge be really different? Greek Rite is about only different running the mass and names of saints, I did not found nothing contriving to the main idea of the followers of He Who Suffer on Cross. I understand that proper exorcism will be performed slightly different, but in the end - there is nothing contriving on dogma side of Lodge.

East - West Schism of Churches in 1054 do not seem to affect any large thing in the basic idea of Lodge on both sides of religion. So do we need Eastern Lodge of Greek Ritual with different write-up, or just use Roman Ritual itself ( with local version probably called Greek Ritual )?
                              Last edited by wyrdhamster; 11-06-2017, 02:04 AM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Working...
                              X