Clear All

• ArcaneArts
    replied

Bra-freaking-vo.

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
    Article is interesting - but it's main idea of Trajectory of Terror is not possible to implant to Werewolf. Why? Because Uratha all the time makes Sacred Hunts. And what is Sacred Hunt? It's - be definition of article - full Horror step in narrative. You know what your Prey is. You have your gruesome shapeshifting powers - or worse for the horror genere - your shamanistic magical powers.

Even if we want to make step back and start all Unease -> Dread -> Terror -> Horror path - we cannot. From the moment of Uratha's First Change there is no Normality, as 'reader/players' know it - as werewolves are already half-spirits all the time and by there they are in alien mindset from the start. Uratha knows that spirits are everywhere. Uratha sense things that normal people do not. Uratha can shapechange to unnatural forms any time they want. You cannot slowly break away 'illusion of normal' for werewolves - as they are far past normal on the go.

You can try to rise Dread or Terror phases, it may have some plus to the story. But once you use Uratha, you will not have come to classical horror feel of the game.

It's somehow demoralizes me as ST even, as I literally wanted to spicy my tomorrow plot of Siskur-Dah on Dragon Idigam my players at Viking Era will do. But beside using some Signposts to mark how foul the Dragon Idigam is, there is not very much I can make more phases beside strict Horror 'and you find beast in the cave'.
    You are wrong. It is not just possible, but easy to do horror in Werewolf.

The problem you're mistaking for it being 'impossible' is that you have not been willing to do anything to take the first step.

Your setting? You've attempted to make as normal as possible, even excluding the Pure to the outer reaches and putting the tribes in various human professions to make everything fit in nicely. Despite the fact that you want Bale Hounds to be infiltrating a protectorate, you have them sit around waiting to be killed like bandits in a video game. Every question you've asked around here is how to make a situation as not-uneasy as possible. You want the most average number of supernaturals in an area, you want the standard response for actions, you take an idigam and make it as standard a monster as possible. It's a big thing with lots of health that can hit hard. Pijavica are uneasy. They are horror incarnate to themselves and everyone around them. But you wanted something more normal. In mage you even had a battle pitting scelesti masters against the players, and rather than take advantage of the infinite possibility of Abyssal horrors they can call down, you wanted a straight fight.

If you want horror, you have to be willing to take the first step. What is Normal for werewolves is not what is Normal for humans. But werewolves have their own Normal. Spirits exist and act a certain way, as do werewolves. Unease is caused by having these things act up, or act differently. This is easily done, as the ecosystem in the Hisil is not in any form of stasis. It is a house of cards, and the cards are predatory cannibals. All it takes is one person getting frustrated to tip the entire thing over. And even if you have a territory where no one gets mad for some reason, you have environmental changes like the seasons. One of the first pre-made adventures for Werewolf was caused by spirits reacting to longer winters. Their solution? Hive-Claim someone and start an arson spree. We have an entire chapter meant to drill into you that lodges are cults. They are not friendly clubs you join in. It is a cult where you worship a crazy god and you show your piety by doing crazy things. Even the most 'upright' of them, the Lodge of Garm, one of the three Pillars of the Blood Talons, are out there trying to start wars. They're trying to kill enough elder werewolves to let a Secondborn Breach its way into the world with a horde of war spirits. The game is RIFE with situations to build Horror out of and Malus just listed six.

Now. Not wanting to do that is fine. People have run all these games like they've run D&D, Monsterhearts, some people just use it to ERP. There's no 'right' way to do things. But you cannot denounce other gamestyles as impossible when you've shown yourself unwilling to even try them.

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    Article is interesting - but it's main idea of Trajectory of Terror is not possible to implant to Werewolf. Why? Because Uratha all the time makes Sacred Hunts. And what is Sacred Hunt? It's - be definition of article - full Horror step in narrative. You know what your Prey is. You have your gruesome shapeshifting powers - or worse for the horror genere - your shamanistic magical powers.

Even if we want to make step back and start all Unease -> Dread -> Terror -> Horror path - we cannot. From the moment of Uratha's First Change there is no Normality, as 'reader/players' know it - as werewolves are already half-spirits all the time and by there they are in alien mindset from the start. Uratha knows that spirits are everywhere. Uratha sense things that normal people do not. Uratha can shapechange to unnatural forms any time they want. You cannot slowly break away 'illusion of normal' for werewolves - as they are far past normal on the go.

You can try to rise Dread or Terror phases, it may have some plus to the story. But once you use Uratha, you will not have come to classical horror feel of the game.

It's somehow demoralizes me as ST even, as I literally wanted to spicy my tomorrow plot of Siskur-Dah on Dragon Idigam my players at Viking Era will do. But beside using some Signposts to mark how foul the Dragon Idigam is, there is not very much I can make more phases beside strict Horror 'and you find beast in the cave'.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X