Alpha & Omega as WtF game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alpha & Omega as WtF game

I want to mine in this topic Alpha & Omega book series by Patricia Briggs as WtF inspiration. It’s interesting read so I advice you to get it, if you did not already.

Source of info about series.

Now, as to the topic question – I mark that to this date I read only On the Prowl so if you re using parts of later books please put them in [SPOILER] tag. So from the ‘book 0.5’ I distilled those ‘facts’ concerning WtF 2E game in those stories – mark, I could not assess Tribes of characters, so will need help with yours ideas.

Alpha & Omega world:
    • All American werewolves are under one Protectorate, across whole continent. It’s lead by the Marrok, Alpha of Alphas in American Protectorate.
    • Becoming werewolf is forced on the ‘victim’. I think the closest correlation is what would be if Uratha have found sure way to make Wolf-Blooded – and then those WB would have First Change, after some time.
    • Werewolves have only two Forms – Hishu and Urhan.
    • Werewolves have Bane of Silver.
    • Werewolves can smell their own kind, just like in WtF!
    • Werewolves women cannot have children – this part I much more like in WtF, where you do not need some very complicated reason ( like in books ) to have werewolf dynasty.
    Characters:
    • Anna Latham – Blood: Omega, Bone: Cub, Auspice: Elodoth - She can 'calm greatest anger'
    • Charles Cornick – Blood: Alpha, Bone: Herald ( of Marrok ), Auspice: Rahu – He is Marrok's enforcer and business representative.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 12-07-2017, 03:28 AM.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
    My Hubs - VtR 2E System Hacks, MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks

Seems like if there was a werewolf who was charismatic or powerful enough to be considered 'alpha of alphas' for all of North America you would want to focus on them first. Even Red Stick didn't do that.

Comment

Why not Wolf' Rain, or Blood and Chocolate ?

Comment

Originally posted by Story Letter View Post
        Why not Wolf' Rain, or Blood and Chocolate ?
        Start your own topic on them then - I could help in Wolf's Rain, if I recalled enough lore as I watched anime over decade now. In this one, let's stick to Alpha & Omega books series, okay?

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
        My Hubs - VtR 2E System Hacks, MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
          Seems like if there was a werewolf who was charismatic or powerful enough to be considered 'alpha of alphas' for all of North America you would want to focus on them first. Even Red Stick didn't do that.
          In first book ( or rather, 0.5 book ) Marrok is only shown in one scene and mentioned few times. I cannot have any gist of this character, yet, and even for central characters of Anna and Charles I have vauge idea of Auspices and still no Bone ideas to bit subject.

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
            and still no Bone ideas to bit subject.
            Maybe Lone Wolf or Wallflower for Anna? She seems reluctant to join a pack, and doesn't trust the male werewolves (understandably, given her circumstances).

Comment

Start your own topic on them then - I could help in Wolf's Rain, if I recalled enough lore as I watched anime over decade now. In this one, let's stick to Alpha & Omega books series, okay?
              I mean as inspiration they are both close to your campaign needs, and examples of ghost wolf pack (Wolf's Rain), or Ivory claws teen cult (Blood and Chocolate).

Comment

Originally posted by Story Letter View Post

I mean as inspiration they are both close to your campaign needs, and examples of ghost wolf pack (Wolf's Rain),
                I made you topic for talking about Wolf's Rain - here it is.

Comment

I want to mine in this topic Alpha & Omega book series by Patricia Briggs as WtF inspiration. It’s interesting read so I advice you to get it, if you did not already.

Source of info about series.

Now, as to the topic question – I mark that to this date I read only On the Prowl so if you re using parts of later books please put them in [SPOILER] tag. So from the ‘book 0.5’ I distilled those ‘facts’ concerning WtF 2E game in those stories – mark, I could not assess Tribes of characters, so will need help with yours ideas.
                  I have thoroughly enjoyed those books and the others Patricia Briggs wrote in the same setting. I think WtF could do a decent job as the rules for a game based more on that setting than the standard WtF. Depending on what you were after, I think to really do it justice you would need to pull ideas from across all the books since the short story in On The Prowl barely scratches the surface of what has been described. There is information spread across the four plus Alpha & Omega short stories and novels where you see one of the more unusual pairs of werewolves in the setting (Charles and Anna) and a fair amount of information about witches and the Marrok's background and then the 8+ Mercedes Thompson books where you see more of how a 'normal' pack functions and a lot about the fae, vampires and ghosts.

While trying to avoid significant spoilers, here are some tweaks I would suggest to your list and some additional ideas:
                  • In additional to all North American packs being part of one protectorate, packs tend to be larger (often 30-40 werewolves to the pack) more spread out and cover larger areas of territory. The only non-werewolves in them are the non-werewolf mates of werewolf pack-members and they are kind of 'semi-members'.
                  • Lunacy doesn't really exist as a supernatural phenomenon.
                  • I would say Dalu (without the claws and teeth or monstrous appearance) and Urshan (again not quite as monstrous but definately bigger and nastier than a normal wolf) would be a better fit for the two forms
                  • It takes time to shift... typically 10-30 minutes and they are at a distinct disadvantage while doing it, and they can only do it so many times a day before they can no longer manage the shift. You might be able to use Primal Urge to govern this. Older, stronger werewolves can shift faster and more often.
                  • To be true to the books I would say they are all Rahu Ghost Wolves as there really isn't an equivalent to either Auspice or Tribe in the setting. On the other hand it might also make sense for Omega werewolves to be treated as though they were Elodoth.
                  • Spirit Magic would make a reasonable replacement for Pack Magic if you don't want to create a whole new system. It isn't a particularly close fit overall, but it fills the same basic niche if you drop the spirit connection and make it out to be various manifestations of pack magic as expressed by different werewolves.
                  • Becoming a werewolf is almost more like becoming a Vampire in VtR. You have to be mauled and almost killed by a werewolf and then have a strong enough will and fortitude to survive the Change, followed by having the willpower to control your wolf rather than loosing yourself to it and becoming a mindless monster.
                  • Werewolves must take 'wolf form' and hunt during the full moon. They don't rage, but they must hunt. (This is why female werewolves as a rule cannot have children, their unborn children are human and the werewolf mothers aren't able to carry them to term through the change each month).
                  They are really good books that I have enjoyed thoroughly and I hope you continue to enjoy them as well. And you have only scratched the surface of what makes Charles and the Marrok the pivotal characters they are in the setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Brennanhawkwood View Post

I have thoroughly enjoyed those books and the others Patricia Briggs wrote in the same setting. I think WtF could do a decent job as the rules for a game based more on that setting than the standard WtF. Depending on what you were after, I think to really do it justice you would need to pull ideas from across all the books since the short story in On The Prowl barely scratches the surface of what has been described. There is information spread across the four plus Alpha & Omega short stories and novels where you see one of the more unusual pairs of werewolves in the setting (Charles and Anna) and a fair amount of information about witches and the Marrok's background and then the 8+ Mercedes Thompson books where you see more of how a 'normal' pack functions and a lot about the fae, vampires and ghosts.

While trying to avoid significant spoilers, here are some tweaks I would suggest to your list and some additional ideas:
                    • I would say Dalu (without the claws and teeth or monstrous appearance) and Urshan (again not quite as monstrous but definately bigger and nastier than a normal wolf) would be a better fit for the two forms
                    • Werewolves must take 'wolf form' and hunt during the full moon. They don't rage, but they must hunt. (This is why female werewolves as a rule cannot have children, their unborn children are human and the werewolf mothers aren't able to carry them to term through the change each month).
                    If they're taking Urshul and not Urhan - then there should be no reason why a woman's womb cannot maintain the child - there'd be more than enough space. I mean - if people want to play the "female werewolves can't have kids" route...sure, but you can easily merge the two settings and remove that arbitrary rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Aynie View Post

If they're taking Urshul and not Urhan - then there should be no reason why a woman's womb cannot maintain the child - there'd be more than enough space. I mean - if people want to play the "female werewolves can't have kids" route...sure, but you can easily merge the two settings and remove that arbitrary rule.
                      I agree that could work as a reason to drop the problem with werewolves having children. For me If I were trying to recreate the setting in general I would lean toward keeping it because it is a recurring issue that has some significant story weight in a number of places in the books. Depending on what aspects of the setting you are after it could absolutely be left out.

Comment

Being in half of first proper book - Cry Wolf - I revised main characters, now knowing more about them.
                        • Anna Latham – Blood: Omega, Bone: Cub, Auspice: Elodoth - She can 'calm greatest anger'
                        • Charles Cornick – Blood: Alpha, Bone: Herald ( of Marrok ), Auspice: Rahu – He is Marrok's enforcer and business representative.

Comment

And now, let's see one of major Packs in the books...

Aspen Creek Pack - The Pack of Marrok, stretching to ALL citizens of titular town. Marrok is enforcing policy of any member of settlement to know about werewolves, strengthen it by human-werewolves relationships. It must be very 'healthy' for Uratha to have constantly attacked Harmony for exposing their existence to humans...

Comment

Working...
                          X