X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Story Letter
    started a topic Armor Piercing and Ignore Durability Powers

Armor Piercing and Ignore Durability Powers

Hello everyone ! I had this issue about powers that ignore durability and powers that ignore armor both supernatural and mundane.

What happens when a hero with a power that ignores durability hits a target with armor ?
    The armor soaks the damage but takes durability damage and probably rips apart ?

And what happens when a hero with armor piercing hits an item ?
    Will the attack bypass its durability ?

Attacks with armor piercing do damage to the armor itself, or just directly to its wearer without further affecting the armor ?

Such powers do affect magickal armor and items respectively ? Maybe with a clash of wills ?

Thank you.

• Story Letter
    replied
    Originally posted by Acrozatarim View Post

If my head wasn't currently gunged up with a horrible cold I'd give some suggestions for visual descriptions but, broadly, these are how the rules work regardless of visual descriptions. Make it clear to a player ahead of time what the facet does and doesn't do, if you want to avoid arguments.
    Thank you, thank you, and thank you very much, and wish you to get better soon !
    Take care please.

Leave a comment:

• Acrozatarim
    replied
    Originally posted by Story Letter View Post

Thank you very much, but how can I explain that ''visually'', story wise to a player?
    It could raise arguements.
    If my head wasn't currently gunged up with a horrible cold I'd give some suggestions for visual descriptions but, broadly, these are how the rules work regardless of visual descriptions. Make it clear to a player ahead of time what the facet does and doesn't do, if you want to avoid arguments.

Also, may these gifts affect magical items of protection with or without clash of wills?
    What about ''magical'' armor from gifts, spells or other otherworldly powers?

Thank you in advance.
    ​They work against magical stuff without Clash of Wills. Shield Breaker AP goes through a magical spell's armour rating, Rending Claws will go through the Durability of a magically created object, etc. This is a simple application of their existing rules - there's nothing Clashing under these circumstances. The time you'd look at a Clash would be, say, using Rending Claws to try and rip through an item under a magical effect that says its Durability *cannot* be ignored.

Leave a comment:

• Story Letter
    replied
    Originally posted by Acrozatarim View Post
    Rending Claws does not give a character armour-piercing on attacks, although were a situation to arise where a character is able to directly target an attack against the armour rather than the wearer, RC would help with overcoming the armour's Durability for the purposes of damaging it.

​Shield Breaker does not deal any additional damage to the armour that the target is wearing; it just grants armour piercing to the attack, allowing it to overcome some of the damage reduction that any such armour may be giving the target.

Thank you very much, but how can I explain that ''visually'', story wise to a player?
    It could raise arguements.
    Also, may these gifts affect magical items of protection with or without clash of wills?
    What about ''magical'' armor from gifts, spells or other otherworldly powers?

Thank you in advance.

Leave a comment:

• Acrozatarim
    replied
    Rending Claws does not give a character armour-piercing on attacks, although were a situation to arise where a character is able to directly target an attack against the armour rather than the wearer, RC would help with overcoming the armour's Durability for the purposes of damaging it.

​Shield Breaker does not deal any additional damage to the armour that the target is wearing; it just grants armour piercing to the attack, allowing it to overcome some of the damage reduction that any such armour may be giving the target.

Leave a comment:

• Story Letter
    replied
    Originally posted by nofather View Post
    This might get answered better in the general section.
    Aka SHIELD BREAKER and RENDING CLAWS.
    Last edited by Story Letter; 11-20-2017, 07:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Heavy Arms
    replied
    I'm pretty sure these are things that do not have a purposeful RAW answer so that the ST can rule what makes the most sense if the power in question doesn't specify.

A power that has durability piercing may, or may not, make sense as having armor piercing, which will depend on the nature of the armor itself. That said most things that allow you to ignore/effectively reduce durability are focused on actively breaking an object. A power that's designed to allow a hero to break through a monster's defenses by ignoring Durability on obstacles doesn't really translate to ignoring armor the monster may have. A more general version of "I'm good at breaking stuff," still makes more sense to aid in destroying physical armor rather than applying armor piercing.

If I'm firing a high powered rifle with armor piercing at a target behind a wooden wall, it makes sense that I'd get durability piercing to negate the wall's presence under the Cover rules. It wouldn't make sens for me to have durability piercing in general to try to just destroy the wall since that sort of rifle would be really shitty at trying to do major structural damage to the wall itself.

The one RAW here: By default, armor piercing doesn't do damage to armor. It seems to mostly be a bookkeeping thing of not having to track armor's Structure in combat a long with everything else.

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    This might get answered better in the general section.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X