Share your protectorates/Local Uratha politics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Share your protectorates/Local Uratha politics

So I am curious about how other people handle their Protectorates/Local Uratha politics. I would love to hear not the "canon" but peoples interpretation of their games on how the local Urathas/Protectorate handle themselves in them.

Again not asking for the canon but if anyone wanna share how they handle this questions in their settings/games. I put together what I think are the most important questions for a Protectorate/Local Uratha politics.

How much tribes matter? Are the tribes their own political entities that exceed the boundaries of packs? Or are the packs the ultimate authority between themselves?
    • How newly formed packs learn to deal with things that are common (Pure, spirits, Host, etc) but they haven't deal with before? Do they more experience packs help them? Only informs them? And do they do it for free or charge something? Or it is swim or sink?
    • Do packs cooperate? What kind of threat would propel packs to cooperate? Something mayor like an Idigam or something more common like a Host or a pack of Pure?
    • How they handle justice and the Oath of the moon? Do packs enforce it against each other? Or do pack live and let live expecting that each pack police themselves? Is there any higher law than the Urathas can appeal to when pack vs pack conflict arises? What stops a pack from setting challenge heavy in their favor or just flat refuse and go to war? Or It is might-makes-right with direct confrontation?
    • If there is a protectorate, how loosely base it is? Is there ranks in them? Are there ceremonies and positions beyond the boundaries of the packs? How much pull has the protectorate on their packs? And what does it does with those who don't join but aren't Pure?
    Thanks for any sharing.

In terms of my Savannah setting:
    • How much tribes matter? Are the tribes their own political entities that exceed the boundaries of packs? Or are the packs the ultimate authority between themselves?
    The tribes matter quite a bit, the lodges matter a good deal too but I have yet to write them up.
    • How newly formed packs learn to deal with things that are common (Pure, spirits, Host, etc) but they haven't deal with before? Do they more experience packs help them? Only informs them? And do they do it for free or charge something? Or it is swim or sink?
    There is a position in the protectorate that is in charge of educating new uratha, there is also a sort of cross splat hogwarts in the tunnels beneath the city that younger werewolves go to.
    • Do packs cooperate? What kind of threat would propel packs to cooperate? Something mayor like an Idigam or something more common like a Host or a pack of Pure?
    The packs cooperate because the hunters in Savannah like having a wolf in charge that they can do negotiations with..
    • How they handle justice and the Oath of the moon? Do packs enforce it against each other? Or do pack live and let live expecting that each pack police themselves? Is there any higher law than the Urathas can appeal to when pack vs pack conflict arises? What stops a pack from setting challenge heavy in their favor or just flat refuse and go to war? Or It is might-makes-right with direct confrontation?
    There is a protectorate position often known as the Justice Beta. Packs that break the rules too often get the hunters after them, but that is considered a last resort.
    • If there is a protectorate, how loosely base it is? Is there ranks in them? Are there ceremonies and positions beyond the boundaries of the packs? How much pull has the protectorate on their packs? And what does it does with those who don't join but aren't Pure?
    There are many ranks in the Savannah protectorate, I haven't given much thought to the ceremonies. The protectorate has a lot of pull because packs that don't join are considered fair game for Savannah's hunters..
    Last edited by The young man in the cafe; 12-03-2017, 01:18 PM.

Despite the user name I am actually bigender.

My Savannah Setting for CofD can be found here

My heroes as monster tamers rules for BtP can be found here

Comment

Take in account that my Uppsala Hunting Ground setting is officially part of Stockholm Protectorate, even if 3 packs of Moon Tribes in city de facto rule themselves as mini-Protectorate.
      • Originally posted by LokiRavenSpeak View Post
        How much tribes matter? Are the tribes their own political entities that exceed the boundaries of packs? Or are the packs the ultimate authority between themselves?
      Tribes are cults/'churches' that also teach you secrets to hunt specific type of Preys. 2 of 3 local Packs are Packs dominated by Tribes, joined by common 'hunting type' - but mostly they are ruled more by the Lodge ideology that binds two Tribes naturally. There are Lodge of Shield and Valkyrie Mot packs, ruling themselves. Third group is PCs mixed Tribe pack, of course.
        How newly formed packs learn to deal with things that are common (Pure, spirits, Host, etc) but they haven't deal with before? Do they more experience packs help them? Only informs them? And do they do it for free or charge something? Or it is swim or sink?
      In this setting it's more 'swim or sink' tactic. BUT I gave PCs a friendly NPC mentor figure in person of ex-lover of their previous mentor that started Pack in the first place - but first mentor is now killed. New mentor is female Elodoth of Storm Lords, from Valkyrie Mot - so she has edge in talks with Mot's other Pack.
        Do packs cooperate? What kind of threat would propel packs to cooperate? Something mayor like an Idigam or something more common like a Host or a pack of Pure?
      Packs in Uppsala are just after cleaning the Beshilu Nest under municipal sewage treatment plant. They also help each other with fighting on local Pure pack that is nearby woods. Each joined action still needs exchange of favors or some local 'politicking' between them.
        How they handle justice and the Oath of the moon? Do packs enforce it against each other? Or do pack live and let live expecting that each pack police themselves? Is there any higher law than the Urathas can appeal to when pack vs pack conflict arises? What stops a pack from setting challenge heavy in their favor or just flat refuse and go to war? Or It is might-makes-right with direct confrontation?
      Packs resolve conflicts between themselves, as whole packs voting coming from official or unofficial now Alpha. Oaths of Moon are given very 'flaxiable' interpretation - especially as 1/4 of all Forsaken in region are Blood Talons.
        If there is a protectorate, how loosely base it is? Is there ranks in them? Are there ceremonies and positions beyond the boundaries of the packs? How much pull has the protectorate on their packs? And what does it does with those who don't join but aren't Pure?
      Official Protectorate is in Stockholm. Uppsala is seen more as 'frontier bastion' of this Protectorate, so it's rules are much relaxed. Stockholm, theoretically, can force rulings on Uppsala packs - but it was century or so last tested. Those that do not join Tribes or standing Packs are seen with distrust - but are not treated openly hostile. This social pressure was one of reason why PCs pack was formed.
      Last edited by wyrdhamster; 12-04-2017, 04:46 AM.

My stuff for Scion 2E, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I've got a coupld settings, or I suppose areas in one setting. No protectorates, though one has a pack trying to form one.

Originally posted by LokiRavenSpeak View Post
        No, they are not their own political entity. Packs are the ultimate authority though the areas have what first edition would call 'alpha packs,' basically packs that are older and established and will often convene to discuss and debate hot topics.

Lodges are another thing, since the Pack came out.

How newly formed packs learn to deal with things that are common (Pure, spirits, Host, etc) but they haven't deal with before? Do they more experience packs help them? Only informs them? And do they do it for free or charge something? Or it is swim or sink?
        Experience it on your own but don't be afraid to ask for advice. This is what the Mentor Merits are for, and tribal connections. They're not political groups (necessarily) but members have their own journals and memories. I haven't had any mercenary packs, it seems like an interesting idea but one that wouldn't be popular.

Asking for help from another pack, as in 'we cannot defeat this thing, please help us,' would really depend on the relationship between the packs and probably cost something worth the effort.

Do packs cooperate? What kind of threat would propel packs to cooperate? Something mayor like an Idigam or something more common like a Host or a pack of Pure?
        For the most part. There's a few packs that are very insular, but they are at least open about it. They won't attack you if you are on their territory but they will tell you to get off it (in varying levels of firmness depending on the werewolf).

Wait, what do you mean by cooperate? Like join together against something big? Or just be able to deal with each other? If they were going to join together against something big it would have to be really big and something other packs would be interested in. Unless it was like guaranteed death if it didn't get stopped it wouldn't inspire packs to work together out of friendliness. Survival, sure. Just working together in general is more of a protectorate thing (it's one of Burning Chain's selling points when trying to make the protectorate).

How they handle justice and the Oath of the moon? Do packs enforce it against each other? Or do pack live and let live expecting that each pack police themselves? Is there any higher law than the Urathas can appeal to when pack vs pack conflict arises?
        It's a story based thing, I'd do whatever's better for the story. There are packs that will be zealous about the Oath of the Moon, but most will let the pack with the Oathbreaker solve it. If Oathbreaking keeps happening and no one in the pack seems to care, then even the less-zealous packs can go against them.

As for a higher law, there's the alpha packs, who will usually have some members or their entire packs ready to help with judgments.

What stops a pack from setting challenge heavy in their favor or just flat refuse and go to war? Or It is might-makes-right with direct confrontation?
        I'm not sure what you're saying.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
          I'm not sure what you're saying.
          I meant a situation that relates to politics/regulations in a protectorate that has little or nothing to do with the Oath of the moon but, in the case of a hands-on protectorate would require an answer.

Say you got pack A and pack B. Both roughly of the same spiritual ranks (renown) so no "honor the high, respect the low", A are all Rahus and B are all Elodoths both are fighting for a territory. So what stops A when challenge to declare a 1 on 1 hand to hand duel which is entirely unfair?

Is there anything stopping that in your political structure? A position like WtA´s master of challenge? The knowledge that a pack giving such unfair challenge can appeal to a higher ranking pack for help? Or even the knowledge that if they pull such underhanded stuff that other pack are gonna kill them instead of trying to negotiate?

Comment

Originally posted by LokiRavenSpeak View Post
            I meant a situation that relates to politics/regulations in a protectorate that has little or nothing to do with the Oath of the moon but, in the case of a hands-on protectorate would require an answer.

Say you got pack A and pack B. Both roughly of the same spiritual ranks (renown) so no "honor the high, respect the low", A are all Rahus and B are all Elodoths both are fighting for a territory. So what stops A when challenge to declare a 1 on 1 hand to hand duel which is entirely unfair?
            I understand, thanks. I don't have a protectorate, like I said, so people would only get involved if they were already biased (A pack has family and friends in C, or B pack) or had some sort of previous, independent alliance (we'll help you with your beshilu problem but you have to help us with this pack we're having trouble with). On a larger scale things would only incorporate other packs if things got really out of control, like packs death raging in public, destroying loci, changing the fundamental spiritual atmosphere of the territory through their conflict, someone getting so desperate they make a deal that has Big Consequences, that sort of thing.

Is there anything stopping that in your political structure? A position like WtA´s master of challenge? The knowledge that a pack giving such unfair challenge can appeal to a higher ranking pack for help? Or even the knowledge that if they pull such underhanded stuff that other pack are gonna kill them instead of trying to negotiate?
            On a smaller scale it might lead to people thinking one pack is dishonorable, and thus give other packs a reason to not deal with them. It might provoke a response from certain people who believe in the 'respect the low' part of the Litany a lot. Some cocksure Elodoth Blood Talon might decide to stick his nose into things but just doing it without any reason (like the ones mentioned before, being an ally to the pack or whatever) would be rare. But there's all sorts of things that could push packs one way or another. One territory had a lodge that had moved in and took over a huge swath of territory from other packs, but it was after a lot of damage had occurred to those territories that the packs had proven they couldn't deal with. So, sure, these guys are coming in like conquerors, and one should be careful with them, but if they're taking better control of the territory that the more known packs were running into the ground the issue is more about them being strangers as opposed to a well-known quantity.

But situations aren't always going to be decided by combat anyways.

Comment

I can dig out my notes for the protectorate set-ups for Paris and Hong Kong, if you want.

- Chris Allen, Freelance Writer & Developer

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by Acrozatarim View Post
                I can dig out my notes for the protectorate set-ups for Paris and Hong Kong, if you want.
                That would be great thanks
                Last edited by LokiRavenSpeak; 12-08-2017, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Simplest thing for me is probably to copy and paste the intro doc for the game, after we'd done a chargen session and figured out some of the core concepts that the players wanted to feature in the game:
                  Werewolf: City of Light

The Pack
                  Written-in-Blood, Blood Talon Rahu, a wasted life remade in a moment of carnage.
                  Bianca Louvier, Storm Lord Irraka, scion of a noted lineage who stalked the stalker 'neath the new moon.
                  Howling Phantom, Bone Shadow Ithaeur, woken to deeper truths beneath the skin of Paris.
                  Henri, Wolf-Blooded, a conspiracy's favoured weapon fled from its sheathe.

1 Wolf-Blooded pack member who is involved with Written-in-Blood, expert on cults who fell into the Changeling's web.
                  6 human pack members, lost sheep formerly of the Changeling's flock who are now all too aware of the darkness in the world.

Zabarsimuhthari the Enduring Smith of Bronze, spirit of a crumbling foundry whose doors have long since shut.

This is the pack as it stands at the beginning of the game.

Paris, City of Light
                  Three Uratha, three Tribes, three different initiations that have revealed the world's true nature - the spirit world that lies alongside the flesh, the horrors that menace the Gauntlet and stalk the herd, and the ancient enmities that the Forsaken are caught up in.

Mentors & Tutors
                  Written-in-Blood has been mentored by a rahu called Noah Vengeance-in-Silver, so named for having killed an Ivory Claw in horrific fashion by pouring molten silver over the Anshega. Noah is a member of the Matagot lodge and, despite his Oath-breaking acts of terror, takes a very grim, even sin-eating approach to the task - his serious demeanour and relentless lessons about why he is damning himself so that other Forsaken need not be is considered by the Tribe to be a good crucible for new Suthar Anzuth to go through. Noah is a member of the Burning Ground, a pack with lineage back to WW2, they are part of the Lamplighter Protectorate and hold territory in the commune of Pantin.

Howling Phantom has been mentored by an ithaeur called the Eaten Wolf, a blind shaman who has sold many parts of herself - both flesh and symbolic - in pacts with the spirits of Paris. One of these pacts sold her former names, and now no-one can even remember what her deed name used to be. She is extremely wise but the Tribe also consider her a good warning to new Bone Shadows of where to draw the line in dealings; her mutilated and scarified flesh, empty eye sockets and the befuddling amnesia that can cloud out parts of memories of her usually do that job well enough. The Eaten Wolf is part of the Tithed Scribes, a pack that holds the Memorial of Fighting France in the west suburbs and that includes several members of the Lodge of Death; the Scribes remain apart from allegiance to either Protectorate.

Bianca has been mentored by the Storm Lord Cahalith called the Fishing Cat, known to Bianca more commonly as 'great-aunt Lucile'. Lucile is matriarch of the Louvier clan, a major bloodline of Iminir in Paris that is bound to always provide one of its number to a special bond with an eerie old spirit in the Street of the Fishing Cat in the 5th Arrondisement. This arrangement is a strange and symbiotic one, and Lucile has a particularly good sense of the spiritual currents of the city and urban courts in Paris; she is essentially in her own, personal Lodge. Lucile is one of the elders of the Zero Point Protectorate, and the Louvier pack hold portions of the 5th Arrondisement as their territory.

Then there is Henri, part-wolf, no Tribe, sought by his former compatriots of the Office of Specific and Non-Specific Oversight, the off-the-books government hunter agency with a dark past and sinister practices, in deep with some sort of occult corporation called Cheiron. Still, he has one advantage - the ancestrally-bound spirit of dust, straw and guardianship that is always there for him. Henri still has problems wrapping his tongue round the spirit's 'real' name but it translates to Empty Dust.

Lore of Light
                  As well as the knowledge that their tutors have imparted to them, there are other pieces of knowledge, rumours, advice and the like that have been passed on.

France and Paris are both unusual in their own ways. France has far higher number of Uratha in its population that you'd expect, and this doesn't appear to be down to bloodlines or inheritance. It's geographical, with immigrant groups suffering the same increase in Uratha when they come to France, and emmigrants losing it in other lands. Paris itself has a very thin Gauntlet - in part due to centuries of Beshilu gnawing at it, the tumult of revolutions, the spiritual impressions of vast mass graves and the like. The Eaten Wolf implies that there is more to the Gauntlet's frailty, and that she knows why, but as yet does not reveal such secrets to Howling Phantom.

Darkness and light play a key role in the spiritual ecology of the city. Not only are the broods of light and dark very powerful, but these symbols run through the agreements, pacts and rites of the Parisian hisil. Many packs have places in their territories that they must always keep lit or in darkness in order to adhere to strange Bans and laws of the Shadow. All of the mentors have made it clear that identifying the particular requirements of the local spirit ecology in terms of light and dark will be important to managing it and wielding power over it. The Lamplighters have taken their name from the belief that, unlike Zero Point, they hold up the wellbeing of the city and its Uratha.
                  Sometimes, in the Shadow, areas of night-time
                  Paris
                  have their skies ablaze with fiery, ruddy light, as if the nearby city were burning. Beware, says Vengeance-in-Silver, for it's an echo of the old revolutions and violence of the city, and danger abounds on those nights. Look for opportunity, says the Eaten Wolf, for the one who braves the flames and draws from the banquet beyond returns with a belly full of secrets. Watch for these apparitions of fiery night, says the Fishing Cat, for they are bleed-offs of the massive spiritual energies flowing into the Zero Point and indicate stresses and weak spots on the cromlech lines.
                  Those cromlech lines are ancient routes of spiritual power that run into the city from all manner of direction, lining up with the cromlechs of past eras in a vast grid of energy. This grid, says the Fishing Cat, is what ties Paris into the wider France as its symbolic heart, and what makes events in Paris so important to the rest of the country. The problem is that, in recent decades, possibly since the Dance of the Lights in the 1960's, the power is surging inwards uncontrollably and throwing all things out of balance. The lines come together at the Zero Point of Paris, by Notre Dame. Handling this overload is the proclaimed purpose of the Zero Point Protectorate, but the spiritual lines can have strange effects on all the territories they run through. The Eaten Wolf says that they're lines of the dead, that the cromlech are linked to the groaning grave-sites buried beneath Paris. The Fishing Cat says that one of the cromlech lines runs under Montreuil as it passes towards the Zero Point.
                  It is the tradition of Parisian Uratha that the resting places of noted werewolves are sacred locations, especially to the Hunters in Darkness and Bone Shadows. The proper reverence and maintenance of such sites is considered right behaviour, itself a measure of honour. Those who disdain their forebears and the noble dead are living only in the moment and insulting the history of the Forsaken. The Eaten Wolf mutters about tombs as wells and sinkholes that suck down Death essence; the Fishing Cat firmly instructs that honouring the past is paramount; Vengeance-in-Silver leaves no doubt that handling such sites will affect how both spirits and Uratha look upon the pack.
                  The Sacre Coeur in Monmartre is sacred to both Forsaken and Pure, a place of penance and neutral ground. The humans raised up the cathedral there as a symbol of order and spirituality that would reimpose old cultural strictures upon France; it is akin to both an immense lightning rod and attennae at the same time, its structure plugging into the immense Locus that swirls and seethes beneath it. Its architect, and many of his leading workers, became Claimed by something during the construction, leading to a bloody purge by the Uratha in 1914. Even the Eaten Wolf just shakes her head when speaking of the Sacred Heart, simply advising that it is consecrated with blood and should not be disrespected.
                  Don't mess with the cats in the Monmartre graveyards. Just don't.
                  The Uratha of Paris
                  The Forsaken of Paris are broadly split between the Lamplighters Protectorate that holds wide swathes of territory in the banlieues, the Zero Point Protectorate that struggles to keep its grip in the arrondisements, and those packs that remain unaffiliated with either. There are a great number of Uratha in Paris, more than one might expect, and still there is much unclaimed space to be taken by newcomers.

The Zero Point Protectorate formed back in the early 90s among the packs of the central arrondissements, in response to the discovery of the growing energies in the cromlech lines by the Bone Shadows of the Red Children pack. The overall purpose of the Protectorate is to monitor the cromlech lines, prevent a disastrous level of Essence forming in the zero point itself, and to do what they can to discover what is causing the problem and to prevent any other creatures from using or aggravating the surge. Because the Protectorate's territories include various symbols that are important to the wider Shadow of France, they have good connections and influence with Uratha from beyond Paris, and hold many valuable spiritual resources. However, the Protectorate's creation caused plenty of friction. The Protectorate of the Dance, formed in the 60s, was slowly falling apart by the end of the 80s and the formation of the Zero Point Protectorate caused it to topple; the new, more insular Protectorate cut many of the Uratha of Paris out from the influence and access they had once enjoyed.

The Lamplighters Protectorate formed around ten years ago, binding together the more powerful packs of the banlieues under the leadership of two elders - the ancient Blood Talon Scourge-of-Valais and the Iron Master Dolon Laguerre. The two elders are reputed to loathe one another, but the collapse of the Protectorate of the Dance had left both of them with greatly weakened power-bases. Fortunately for them, they were able to take advantage of the Zero Point's focus on the cromlech lines and the spiritual energies within the Isle-de-France itself, a focus that left fewer resources and less aid being given to the packs out in the banlieues. During a renewed period of Pure aggression, one that scattered two packs entirely, the elders managed to put aside their differences and forge the Lamplighters under the banner of fighting the war and shouldering the duties to the Forsaken that Zero Point seemed unwilling to do. More numerous than Zero Point but more widely scattered and less well-resourced, the Lamplighters have nonetheless managed to fight back effectively against the Pure and take some steps to managing the rest of the city's unstable spiritual ecology. The two ravenous elders, however, are as much feared as they are respected, and often refered to mockingly as Hirsent and Isengrim when out of earshot.

Ghost Wolves are extremely numerous in Paris, largely as very small packs or even individuals in the banlieues. Many have a warped mixture of Uratha and Christian (or Muslim) beliefs; these werewolves are usually referred to as devil dogs or hellhounds by other Uratha, since they tend to believe that they are demons or have been cursed by Satan in some way. A few maintain cults of Ys, maintaining a myth of the sunken city that considers it as both lost homeland and promised paradise that they can attain by through hunting whoever it is that their particular cult holds as sacred prey; both the Storm Lords and the Fire-Touched use the Ys cults as intermediary recruiting grounds, the latter as a step towards the belief of Taga Dan. Unfortunately, lone Ghost Wolves also often seem to form their own little cults of humans in France, teaching rite-craft to the herd and preparing cultists to become Claimed for their spirit-allies; these cults have been a major source of witches and sorcerers over the centuries, but at least in Paris they used to be easier to hunt down. The vast population of the city now means the opposite is true; it's easy for a cult to hide amongst the masses.

The Apollonians are a source of trouble for the Zero Point Protectorate in particular, and contest a few key territories in the arrondissements and inner banlieues. These bizarre cultists are all members of an esoteric lodge of Uratha who worship Apollo in his aspect as a wolf, and reject the Forsaken and Pure mythologies alike. They consider themselves to be guardians of places that are sacred to the Light of the Sun, and the Forsaken have some evidence that they may have started as a Hunter in Darkness heresy. The Apollonians have been practicing their frenzied, ecstatic rites and debauched entertainments for at least a couple of centuries. The lodge claims to hold defilers of their sacred places as their holy prey, but the hidden little shrines can hardly have enough curious trespassers to justify the Apollonian cult's numbers.

The Amazigh are traditionalist Uratha from the Berber immigrants into France, both Pure and Forsaken alike. Amazigh packs are insular and refuse to embrace any werewolves who are not strict adherents to the supposed traditions of the Maghreb Uratha, even other immigrants who they judge to not hold to the old ways enough. The Amazigh hold themselves to be purer and wiser than French Uratha, regardless of those Urathas' origins, and while they do partake in the Forsaken Protectorates and the Pure cults, they always hold themselves aloof to some extent. Even the rivalries and feuds amongst the Amazigh Pure and Forsaken are highly opaque to outsiders. The Amazigh lack numbers, however, and their power is only likely to diminish and take them closer to irrelevance as even young Berber-immigrant Uratha feel they have little in common with some traditionalists following old and strict rites for little obvious practical benefit.

As for the Pure? Well, they have their own divisions and rifts. The Ivory Claws of the Silver Principality, centred in Versailles, are united but their influence in Paris itself is strictly limited. The rival Fire-Touched sects of the Iron Banner, the Blind Sight and the Scarlet Cathedral squabble with each other and the other Tribes for power. Old families of Ivory Claw lineage sneer at the Fire-Touched masses but carefully trade their knowledge and skills to Rabid Wolf's children in return for the lore and the blood that they seek. Even their totems are divided, and not along Tribal lines; a small enclave of Fire-Touched in the far west recently came under attack by both Fire-Touched and Predator King packs, whose totems sought the destruction of the enclave's own spirits due to some transgression or other.

The Territory - Montreuil
                  At the beginning of the Chronicle, the pack's territory is however much of the banlieue of Montreuil that they want to try and claim. Montreuil is a poor banlieue, and has major problems with drug-related crime. Nearly a tenth of it is simply deserted - an urban playground of crumbling blocks of flats, dilapidated industrial warehouses and rusting factories. The entire place is an utter patchwork of different eras of construction, old buildings and new concrete horrors jostling with one another. There are even old, 19th Century mansions. The bones of Montreuil's past push up through its fabric.

Although decrepit and run-down, there is an atmosphere of hope in Montreuil. Many young workers are being attracted to the area due to the very low rents, and some have even taken to calling it the '21st arrondissement' in a fit of excessive optimism. Some Uratha have noticed there now seem to be very few old people in Montreuil at all - oddly few. Since the 80s there has been a steady influx of artists and intellectuals, a thriving creative community with a halo of drug dealers, mad spirits and surprising inspiration. Old film-making studios, some of the first to ever be established, still tie Montreuil with strong symbolic links to the concepts of illusion and the unreal.

Local government is controlling and bureaucratic. They wrap local organisations in red tape if they don't play ball, and have little tolerance for beggars, Roma and other 'undesirables'. There is also a strong push in the administration for the suppression of cults, and considerable antipathy towards Islamic practices. Ethnic tensions are a problem, exacerbated by poverty. Montreuil has a particularly large immigrant community from Mali, but it doesn't seem to currently include any Uratha.

Past Uratha of Montreuil
                  The history of Montreuil's former packs, at least in as much as the pack have been given bits and pieces of it, falls roughly thus.

Montreuil has had its Uratha guardians over the centuries. Back in the late 17th Century, when Montreuil was mostly groves of peach trees, one Bishop Guillaume (called 'the Wolf' by his human ecclesiastical contemporaries for his predatory aspect and intimidating manner) levered his influence to great effect against the growing influence of the Ivory Claws that accompanied the construction of the Versailles palace-complex. Still remembered by modern Uratha, the Iron Master is considered a paragon of both Cunning and Honour.

At some point in the early 20th Century, Montreuil became the territory of a pack called the White Masques who held it over subsequent generations. This ended in the 60s during what the older Uratha have variously called the Turning of the Circle, the Swirling War or the Dance of the Lights. Widespread spiritual disruption accompanied the movement or disruption of the city's foci of spiritual power, resulting in packs desperately struggling over a suddenly shifting landscape of resources. The White Masques collapsed during the strife, with many dying and others moving on to new territory and new packs.

The territory was then unclaimed for about a decade or so, until in the late 70s a predominantly Ghost Wolf pack moved into the area and attempted to hold it. This pack, the Mirrors, clung on until the 90s when internal struggles and conflict with the Pure caused them to disband and move on. Since then, singular Ghost Wolves have sometimes tried to claim turf in the banlieue but have never stayed for long.

This changed a few years ago. A Ghost Wolf called the Changeling, going by the name of Louis Moreau, established a cult in the banlieue. Hidden from the gaze of Blood Talon and Iron Master witch-hunters, the Changeling created the New Association of Illuminated Thought, a supposed self-help/New Age spiritual group known to the inner circles as the Transmutative Path. The Path's philosophy was one of self-change at a powerful, spiritual level - cult members believed that they would be fundamentally changed as they were immersed in the mysteries, gaining enlightenment and a release from the needs of the material world. This was literally true - the Changeling selected promising candidates for Claiming to be promoted to the innermost ranks of the Path, offering the flesh-shells to the spirits of hope, despair and madness that thronged around him. Other cultists 'disappeared' to far-off training courses or 'left the faith' - in fact consumed by the Changeling and his Claimed for the bounty of Essence in their meat. By harnessing the cultists as his pack, the Changeling was also able to work strange rites over them, further strengthening his influence. When the local government flagged the NAIT as a cult, finally bringing the attention of watchful Iron Masters and Storm Lords to bear, Written-in-Blood's former life was already entangled in the cult, resulting in the explosive showdown that began the Changeling's defeat. While the cult was torn down by the combined efforts of the newly formed pack, the Changeling itself escaped to destinations unknown.

The Base of Operations
                  The pack holds as their base the former junkyard, now sculptor's trove, that Howling Phantom's family money acquired. Within the junkyard is a relaltively potent Locus of Metal, born from years of iron and steel being crushed and smashed and left to rust, and from older traces of fire and bronze. The junkyard has several buildings and sheds within it, relatively high walls with barbed wire at their height, and grounds that are well concealed from neighbouring buildings.

Across the road from the junkyard are the last crumbling ruins of a very old bronze foundry. Part of the foundry actually ran under where the junkyard now stands, but the skeleton of the rest of the building remains a haunting reminder of the region's industrial past. This foundry is the home of the totem spirit, the last vestiges of its own former reflection; the Enduring Smith has only survived this long through drinking from the Locus of Metal to sustain itself, and it is now a clattering thing of verdigris, rust and dying embers rather than its former glories of gleaming bronze.

The former cultists of the Transmutative Path who have now joined the pack's ranks live in their own homes scattered around the banlieue. Some are very remote, coming together with the rest of the pack only on those specific nights when a fire is lit out in the junkyard and they come to find comradeship with their fellow survivors; but even these packmates always keep their eyes open, make sure to send emails or texts in for anything suspicious that they encounter, and ensure that their trades and places of work offer pack members good prices and favourable opportunities. The other pack-mates are more dedicated to the here and now, throwing themselves into pack work with enthusiasm or desperation - helping guard the junkyard, actively patrolling the streets or even trying to worm their way deeper into the occult community of Paris.

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

As to your specific questions in the OP:

How
                    much
                    tribes matter? Are the tribes their own political entities that exceed the boundaries of packs? Or are the packs the ultimate authority between themselves?

​Significantly, as particular Tribes' philosophies dominated in the different Protectorates. The Zero Point were primarily Storm Lords and Bone Shadows, while the Lamplighters were primarily Blood Talons and Iron Masters. The Tribes did not work as entirely separate political entities, but offered strong links to Uratha outside Paris. Either pack or protectorate would be the ultimate authority depending on which was stronger in a given situation; but shared Tribe gave a lot​ of hooks for bonding, fellowship, preferential treatment, etc.
                    They'd receive some training from patron packs or mentors. Mentoring is largely done via Tribe, but who exactly does the mentoring can depend on family/friend/favours-owed links. A pack that then chooses to go independent will have to sink or swim on its own capabilities; a big part of the protectorates' deal was that they were both courting the PC pack, each offering only limited aid as the pack hadn't yet chosen a protectorate to join, and promising greater support if the pack chose them over the other.
                    ​Yes. They would generally co-operate over any threat too great for a single pack to deal with, but the Zero Point heavily co-ordinate on dealing with the weird shit to do with essence surges around the Zero Point itself, while the Lamplighters basically exist to fight the Pure so are quick to co-ordinate whenever particularly intense fighting with the Anshega happens. Each pack is expected to handle a certain amount of 'normal' violence/spiritual threats/whatevers by themselves, though.

Varies a great deal depending on the issues at hand. Might be expected to be handled in-pack or between rival packs, but for serious shit, Uratha could try and escalate it to Tribal or protectorate heavyweights. There's no official procedures or whatever, and it may well come down to who can get the most leverage on their side, but in some cases a Tribe may be willing to lean heavily on a situation to the favour of a Tribal member involved.

​The Zero Point packs largely got on with their own stuff, *except* when it came to the Zero Point itself, when they were expected to work together. The Lamplighters largely got on with their own stuff, *except* when it came to defending Paris against the Pure, in much the same way. No ranks in either, but an informal hierarchy of respect and known capability, with charismatic leaders at the head. Zero Point had all sorts of ceremonies, but those were literally the point - occult rituals bleeding off the gathering power surging into the Zero Point, and spiritual bandaging of fractured reality.

​Packs who don't want to join, well, once they've made it clear they're not interested, they're left to their own devices. This is probably bad; for central packs it means they lack the considerable resources and occult knowledge of the Zero Point, so have to scrabble for whatever table scraps they can get. For banlieue and suburb packs, it means they've got no-one to call on when the Pure come knocking, and the Pure are pretty good at sniffing out vulnerable packs like that. There are a few exceptions, like the Tithed Scribes, a pack performing a significant symbolic role on behalf of all the Forsaken of Paris and who can't get involved in either Protectorate as a result.

Comment

Acrozatarim Would you describe the Hunters in Darkness as making the bulk of the insular Forsaken in that setting? Is there an example of successful packs like that? What causes that insularity given it's drawbacks?

Comment

Originally posted by Malus View Post
                        Acrozatarim Would you describe the Hunters in Darkness as making the bulk of the insular Forsaken in that setting?
                        Only in that the Apollonians in Paris absorbed an existing HiD heresy. Most current Hunters in Darkness are spread between the Zero Point and the Lamplighters.

Is there an example of successful packs like that?
                        Apart from the Tithed Scribes and the Apollonians, not really; most of the non-Protectorate non-Pure packs don't manage to last more than a decade at most, iirc. Even the Amazigh packs tend to technically be part of a Protectorate.

What causes that insularity given it's drawbacks?
                        ​Usually either a) being Ghost Wolf hellhounds who are subscribing to a wildly different theology to the Forsaken that doesn't have any space for co-operation with the Tribal Protectorates, or b) due to personal grudges/events, like a loathing for the 'tyrants' running the Lamplighters, unwillingness to submit to the overly-controlling focus of Zero Point, bad blood or rivalries that can't be overcome, etc. Occasionally it might be down to bloody-minded or overly optimistic 'we don't need your help and we can stand tall on our own'.

​Oh, and there was the Drinkers of the Well, a literally subterranean Bone Shadow heresy/Lodge who worship a colossal thing-that-should-not-be, the Lou Carcohl, which is (I kid you not, this is actually from French folklore) a truly immense snake/snail thing that lives in an underground cave. They harvest and drink its hallucinogenic, maddening ichors. They're largely fine because no-one else really even knows they exist any more, as they're troglodytes most of the time and largely restrict their interactions with the surface to operating through human cultist minions.

Comment

Originally posted by Acrozatarim View Post
                          Apart from the Tithed Scribes and the Apollonians, not really; most of the non-Protectorate non-Pure packs don't manage to last more than a decade at most, iirc. Even the Amazigh packs tend to technically be part of a Protectorate.
                          The Pure seem to be an ever-present enemy (especially in Paris). Are they an organized threat, with a protectorate or something similar of their own? Or do they just take advantage of isolated Forsaken and Ghost Wolves?
                          Last edited by nofather; 12-08-2017, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post

The Pure seem to be an ever-present enemy (especially in Paris). Are they an organized threat, with a protectorate or something similar of their own? Or do they just take advantage of isolated Forsaken and Ghost Wolves?
                            ​There's the bit in the write-up above that touches on it:

"
                            As for the Pure? Well, they have their own divisions and rifts. The Ivory Claws of the Silver Principality, centred in Versailles, are united but their influence in
                            Paris
                            itself is strictly limited. The rival Fire-Touched sects of the Iron Banner, the Blind Sight and the Scarlet Cathedral squabble with each other and the other Tribes for power. Old families of Ivory Claw lineage sneer at the Fire-Touched masses but carefully trade their knowledge and skills to Rabid Wolf's children in return for the lore and the blood that they seek. Even their totems are divided, and not along Tribal lines; a small enclave of Fire-Touched in the far west recently came under attack by both Fire-Touched and Predator King packs, whose totems sought the destruction of the enclave's own spirits due to some transgression or other."

​But basically, yeah, there are a number of organised, powerful Fire-Touched sects. Additionally, just beyond Paris in Versailles, an old, very established Pure Protectorate run by the Ivory Claws exists, called the Silver Principality. They're serious heavyweights with an occult armoury harvested from the farthest excesses of France's once-colonial reach, possibly including a relic from Father Wolf's carcass. If I remember correctly, during the chronicle there were hints the Principality were ramping up their operations against the Parisian Forsaken, possibly in competition with the Fire-Touched sects.

​So basically you have a patchwork with multiple factions on both sides, plus wierdoes like the Apollonians and the Drinkers of the Well. Then throw in two idigam, one for each side of the City of Lights' light/darkness dichotomy, and you have a recipe for disaster

Comment

Damn, if I’d only cared more about the city I live in, enough to write settings like that.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Working...
                              X