Eleven Shaman Blessings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blood and Salt is wicked.

I am loving all these, but Pariah Skin, Eat Your Name and Oak Prophecy are my absolute favourites. Damm Oaks, man...

I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Comment

The lunar elementals are really cool, and I may even have the company which distill lunes into them (unless those are Cheiron. Or the Hototogisu. Or Amalgama. Or Daeva. Or Last Dynasties. Or Whiteheart. Yeah, we have a lot of potential candidates for this). I wonder what would happen to regular humans who drink them- the easy answer would be "same as the Pure, more or less", but I think there are cooler options out there.

The Oak Prophecy thing is also really great. Loved the God Machine reference- makes me think what leverage does it have to force those ancient, spiteful spirits to its command. I also feel like I should know why oaks can lie in their prophesies, but I can't put the finger on it- which is a good thing. Loved that they are presented in a way which is so drastically different from the cultural representations of oaks- that is, of old, smart and generous trees. I wonder if other tree spirits would have similar quirks, which sounds kinda cool, IMO.

Pariah skin sounds like a classic trick which simply makes sense in the context. As for Sea Dogs, I must say that I've liked to read your thought process as much as I liked reading your fluffy writeups- you should describe those, from time to time.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

This one banged back and forth round my skull for a while; as I said, it started rather as a joke, and I really, really​ cannot vouch for any semblance of game balance to this one in particular. Note that it could be done quite a few other ways as well - as one or more rites, as a Blood Talon Tribal blessing from the Firstborn or something, etc etc. I ran it in this particular format in the end as it allows me to tier and thus add in all the many effects I was considering - a rite should probably be simpler, like the human/Wolf-Blooded merit version is, to make it easier to run.

​Infinite Rage is quite fun. I like the notion of a last-standing werewolf being utterly annihilated, disintegrated, or otherwise eradicated by something really horrifically heavyweight like an idigam and then still​ regenerating itself back together to keep fighting - bones and muscle and sinew rethreading themselves out of the dust and the air, pushed on by a rage that even death isn't enough to stop.

The Inverse Werewolf Law, or, Conservation Of Rage
        When a werewolf gets hurt, it gets angrier.

When the pack gets hurt, it gets angrier.

Fewer pack members standing just means more fury concentrated in those that remain.

Don’t get angry. Don’t get even. Get angry and get even.

Rising Fury (Style, •• to •••••)
        Prerequisites: Resolve 3, Occult 2, Primal Urge 2
        Your character is closely attuned to the pain and fury of their pack. The wounds of their comrades only drive them to greater heights of rage.
        For the purposes of this merit, pack members count as defeated if they are dead, unconscious, incapacitated or incapable of continuing to currently participate in the combat due to enemy actions (so a pack member entangled by a plant spirit’s Numina and this incapable of reaching anyone to attack would count as incapable); pack members count as gravely wounded if they have suffered aggravated damage due to enemy activity.

Rage Cascade (••): Whenever a pack member becomes gravely injured or defeated, your character’s Initiative score immediately increases by 2. Additionally, for the duration of the scene your character gains +1 Speed and enemies attempting to affect them with supernatural abilities suffer a -1 penalty to their dice pool; these latter two effects stack, each capped at a value equal to your Primal Urge.

Rivers Of Blood (•••): Whenever a pack member becomes gravely injured or defeated then your character can transfer a single point of Willpower or Essence from them if the pack member is willing, and gains a single additional health level until the end of the scene; the character can gain up to their Primal Urge in bonus health levels this way. If the injured or fallen were an Uratha pack member and they had yet to enter the Gauru form during the scene, the number of turns your character can spend in Gauru increases by 1 until the end of the scene.

Unstoppable Tide (••••): Whenever an Uratha pack member becomes gravely injured or defeated then your character gains +1 Strength, Dexterity or Wits for the duration of the scene, gaining up to their Primal Urge in bonus attributes in this way.

Infinite Rage (•••••): If your character is the last pack member standing after all others have been defeated, then once per scene, if they would be slain by aggravated damage, they can instead remain active for turns equal to the number of defeated pack members, capped at their Primal Urge; during this time they treat aggravated damage as if it were lethal and, if at the end of this period regeneration leaves them on any number of health levels, they will not be slain. If they would be killed by an effect that would slay them without dealing damage, it is instead treated as if it has filled their health boxes with aggravated damage, and they can continue as above while Infinite Rage lasts.

Drawback: At Harmony 5, your character is still subject to their specific Kuruth trigger, instead of lacking all triggers. After using Infinite Rage, your character is subject to all their Kuruth triggers for a month, instead of whichever ones their Harmony would usually subject them to.

Furious Devotion (••)
        Prerequisites: Resolve 3, human or Wolf-Blooded
        Your character is tied closely to your fellow pack-mates’ anger and determination; their sacrifice gives you strength. For each pack-mate in the scene who has any of their last three health boxes filled with damage due to enemy actions, or who is slain, unconscious, or incapacitated, your character gains +1 Initiative, +1 Speed and +1 to the dice pools on their attacks, up to a maximum equal to their Resolve attribute.
        Last edited by Acrozatarim; 12-30-2017, 02:00 PM.

- Chris Allen, Freelance Writer: Forsaken & Awakening 2nd Edition / The Pack / Dark Eras 1 & 2 / The Contagion Chronicle / Idigam Anthology / Night Horrors: Nameless & Accursed and Shunned by the Moon / Trinity Aeon / Aeon Aexpansion / And more besides...

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

I'm loving those Merits - will propose it for our Blood Talon Rahu viking berserker character!

My stuff for Scion 2E, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
          LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Great use of Styles there. I particularly like how it can be a simple power for the lone combat-oriented member of a standard pack, or can be blown out of proportions and used by some manipulative or charismatic monster in junction with the Great Hunt or Forge Alliance rites as they drive human and wolf-blooded packmates before them, growing more powerful by the death.

Though I suppose the Primal Urge cap does limit that a pack of werewolves could still take advantage of more replaceable pack members that way.

Comment

I can see my Ancestor Spirit with Revenge influences handing out this style on totemic benefit. Mad props.

Comment

Acrozatarim, I love the idea - but more I think about it, I have one gripe with Rising Fury - WHY it need Occult Skill as Prerequisites? It's not like they are biding spirits or using truly obscure arcane laws. What does have lore and knowledge about legends to becoming more and more angry as your pack mates fall in the battle? I could understand here high Stamina or maybe Composure - but knowledge of myths?

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Because it relies in a transcendence of flesh.

Comment

Originally posted by Malus View Post
                    Because it relies in a transcendence of flesh.
                    Which is nothing related to how Occult work as Skill.

Originally posted by CoD Rulebook, p. 34
                    Occult
                    The Occult Skill is a character’s knowledge of myth, folktales, and urban legends about the strange things that exist in the dark corners of the world. Occult can help a character separate fiction and myth from fact and determine which stories are likely to be actual supernatural events and which are just rumors. That said, there are a lot of strange things out there, and many of them defy easy categorization. The Occult Skill doesn’t necessarily give a character a line on the absolute “truth” about what’s going on, but instead represents an array of knowledge about encounters and theories that others have had, and the ability to build on those theories herself.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

P155 'The Occult Skill is your character’s knowledge of things hidden in the dark, legends, and lore. While the supernatural is unpredictable and often unique, the Occult Skill allows your character to pick out facts from rumor. This is a common Skill for werewolves interested in the Shadow; being able to piece together the nature of a spirit from all manner of stories and tales can give insight into the Hisil.'

The style seems to be something learned from rage and understanding about the pack bond and potentially the regenerative nature of werewolves.

Allowing you to pick out facts from rumor is an aspect of the Skill, not the sole use of the Skill, similar to how Weaponry can let you identify a fighting style.

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                        Which is nothing related to how Occult work as Skill.
                        A general but firm occult knowledge base doesn't make any sense as the basis for letting you exploit the magical connection between yourself and members of your pack to take unused bits of their strength when they fall in battle, unlike hitting a werewolf so that a bit of their Essence falls out, seeing the last sights of a dead person, moving water around, bringing on a cold snap or a heat wave, or turning your pack totem into an angry werewolf.

Naturally.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                        Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Thanks, nofather and Satchel

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post

(seriously, will we ever get a Lodge/ cult/ potential tribe/ anything more about that elusive Firstborn? Because they are awesome).
                            ​Who can say?

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
                            I wonder if there is any promise in a "treat the vessel as the Uratha" Rite. Just general Gift boosts or crazy " my galleon enters Death Rage/Gauru Form"?
                            ​I think this would depend a lot on how the rules for a vessel actually worked. Most Gift Facets aren't going to have an easy way to be applied to a vehicle, but there are a few that could work for 'upscale this to the entire ship', like Feet of Mist. Most of the rest of the ways to really gel a werewolf to a vessel strike me as working best via treating the crew as pack - probably by just having them literally be inducted into the pack via the normal means, tbh.

- Chris Allen, Freelance Writer: Forsaken & Awakening 2nd Edition / The Pack / Dark Eras 1 & 2 / The Contagion Chronicle / Idigam Anthology / Night Horrors: Nameless & Accursed and Shunned by the Moon / Trinity Aeon / Aeon Aexpansion / And more besides...

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                              The lunar elementals are really cool, and I may even have the company which distill lunes into them (unless those are Cheiron. Or the Hototogisu. Or Amalgama. Or Daeva. Or Last Dynasties. Or Whiteheart. Yeah, we have a lot of potential candidates for this). I wonder what would happen to regular humans who drink them- the easy answer would be "same as the Pure, more or less", but I think there are cooler options out there.
                              ​I'm roughly inclined to say that they get turned into doppleganger-style shapeshifters; they go mad and their flesh turns into mannequin-like featurelessness, but they gain the ability to perfectly copy other human beings via shapeshifting, and are compelled to do so by the changing phases of the moon.

The Oak Prophecy thing is also really great. Loved the God Machine reference- makes me think what leverage does it have to force those ancient, spiteful spirits to its command. I also feel like I should know why oaks can lie in their prophesies, but I can't put the finger on it- which is a good thing. Loved that they are presented in a way which is so drastically different from the cultural representations of oaks- that is, of old, smart and generous trees. I wonder if other tree spirits would have similar quirks, which sounds kinda cool, IMO.
                              ​My preference runs for there being lots of local/regional/subspecies-style unique quirks and traits. Makes it so that knowing the Shadow's irregularities has meaning, and so that going to a new area means you have to try and tap into the existing Uratha knowledge base of how to deal with stuff even if you're a veteran Shadow explorer.

Comment

Originally posted by Acrozatarim View Post
                                ​I think this would depend a lot on how the rules for a vessel actually worked. Most Gift Facets aren't going to have an easy way to be applied to a vehicle, but there are a few that could work for 'upscale this to the entire ship', like Feet of Mist. Most of the rest of the ways to really gel a werewolf to a vessel strike me as working best via treating the crew as pack - probably by just having them literally be inducted into the pack via the normal means, tbh.
                                True. Maybe a Fetish (Figurehead?) that specifically expands only certain Facets over the entire ship, then?

Though the mental image of a ship repairing all damage in moments, continuously, to their opponent's horror (Ship in Death Rage) is amusing.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                                Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Working...
                                X