The Giftbox (Custom & Updated Gifts)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Giftbox (Custom & Updated Gifts)

Much to my surprise, I don't think a thread like this has been made before. In the spirit of the Yule Tide Season, post your custom gifts here. You can find the guidelines for creating new gifts here and here. As iteration is the most important part of tweaking Gifts to be balanced correctly, commentary and suggestions are absolutely allowed, just remember to be constructive.

I'll start us off with the Gift of Lunacy.

Gift of Lunacy (Wolf)

Know The Moon-Touched (Cunning)

Cost: 1 Essence
    Dice Pool: Wits + Investigation + Cunning
    Action: Instant

The Uratha can use this Facet to detect if any prey have fallen under the sway of Lunacy within 10 yards per dot of Cunning Renown she possesses.

Dramatic Failure: The Uratha gains the Ban Condition. She feels compelled to howl at the moon and make warding gestures at the sun.
    Failure: The Facet fails.
    Success: The Uratha becomes aware if prey have rolled a breaking point to resist Lunacy in the last scene or if they are currently under the influence of a Condition caused by Lunacy. The Uratha does not know the result of the breaking point roll or the Condition imposed. If the Uratha uses this information influence the way the prey rationalizes the events that cause Lunacy, she gains a +3 bonus to her dice pool.
    Exceptional Success: The Uratha knows the outcome of the Lunacy breaking point and/or what Condition was imposed.

Manipulative Lunacy (Glory)

Cost: None
    Duration: Permanent

When the prey fails a roll to resist Lunacy caused by a werewolf with this Facet, open one of the prey's doors.

Lunatic Fringe (Honour)

Cost: 1 Essence per packmate affected (minimum 1 Essence)
    Duration: 1 scene

All packmates targeted by this Facet gain 8-again on rolls against characters affected by a Lunacy-imposed Condition. This Facet does not apply to attack rolls or damage-dealing rolls.

Lunar Tidings (Purity)

Cost: None
    Duration: Permanent

When an Uratha with this Facet cause prey to suffer a Lunacy breaking point, the prey's roll is penalized by the Uratha's dots in Purity Renown.

Light of the Moon (Wisdom)

Cost: Varies

The Uratha gain Influence (Lunacy) equal to her dots in Wisdom. She can use this Influence in the same way as a spirit. Her dice pool for Influence (Lunacy) is Presence + Intimidate + Wisdom.

I do have some commentary on this gift, but I will have to save it for later. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Second Chances; 12-24-2017, 12:48 AM.

Freelancer - Dark Eras 2
    He/His Pronouns
    CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

The Cunning one seems tricky to work out the utility of, in most cases. It does have its niche, though. Same with the Glory and Honor Facets. Purity's is just mean, and the Wisdom Facet is where the real sexiness happens. But then, Influences are always fun to play with.

Gift of Giving (Shadow)

Anonymous Donor (Cunning)
    Cost:
    1 Essence per Size of the item
    Dice Pool: Dexterity + Larceny + Cunning - Wits + Primal Urge
    The Uratha can send small items through gaps in space, placing them up to Cunning * 5 yards away. You do not need line of sight to the target or location, but if you lack visibility you must know the precise location you are sending the object to. If possession of the item would be unwelcome (such as contraband or a primed grenade), the target reflexively resists it with Wits + Primal Urge (or equivalent).
    [Comments: Who needs chimneys when you can 'port it through space? Though I did think about sending it through the Gauntlet, and referencing the Gauntlet Strength. Technically this is meant for objects, but if your ST wants to allow it, you could for 5 Essence:

]

Impressive Generosity (Glory)
    Cost: 2 Essence
    Action: Reflexive
    The werewolf can give another a gift of such impressive nature that allies are heartened and enemies are shamed. When bestowing a gift upon another worth at least Resources 1 (relative to the receiver), provided the recipient accepts it, the Uratha can grant or impose one of the following Conditions on Glory + the Resources value of the gift to enemies or allies (whichever received it) - Confused, Guilty, Inspired, Leveraged, or Steadfast.
    [Comments: Still unsure of what to do here. I made it Condition flexible to offer the greatest options, but it seems... bland for that.]

Obligation (Honor)
    Cost: 4 Essence
    Action: Reflexive
    The Uratha can lace a physical gift with an implicit condition of behavior. The target object is infused with Essence such that anyone claiming ownership of it must accept a Ban (devised by the user of this Gift). The Ban Condition lasts for one lunar month.
    Special: If the werewolf spends a point of Willpower, the Ban lasts as long as the recipient possesses or owns the item - the Conditions resolves only if the item is given to (and accepted) by someone else. If they spend a Willpower dot, then the Ban applies to whoever owns the item, affecting any new owners as if they were the original recipient.
    [Comments: Cost is equal to the elements of obligation? Maybe make the optional cost a dot, since it is permanent? You are making the thing into a "cursed" item, basically.]

Boon of Power (Purity)
    Cost: 1 to 5 Essence
    The werewolf can temporarily bestow a portion of their spiritual might upon another willing recipient. Select 1 Gift Facet - the target character gains the Facet and the amount of Essence spent upon activation. They use your Renown in place of their own (if any), and spend only the Essence given to them via this Gift's activation. If the Facet is a permanent effect, the recipient can activate it for 1 Scene for the cost of 1 Essence.
    Drawback: For as long as the Gift Facet is held by another, you lose access to it. You can cancel the effects of this Gift with an Instant action, provided you have line of sight with the recipient.
    [Comments: This is more useful when bestowed upon Wolf-Blooded and mortal Pack members, but it can be a nice boon for even other Werewolves in a pinch. The limited Essence investiture gives the effect a shelf life, and the Facet lockout prevents you from spamming the gift. Though considering the Essence cost, that could be eliminate or reduced to a penalty.]

Heart's Hunger (Wisdom)
    Cost: 1 Essence
    Dice Pool: Manipulation + Empathy + Wisdom - Composure + Primal Urge
    Roll Result
    Dramatic Failure: The prey intuits what the werewolf is doing. In addition, the scents are misinterpreted to give a wrong Aspiration.
    Failure: A tangled mess of smells obscures the nature of their wants. The Storyteller might give one or two words from an Aspiration.
    Success: The Uratha smells the hidden yearnings of the target's heart. For each dot of Wisdom, reveal one of the target's Aspirations. Short term Aspirations are uncovered before long term ones.
    Exceptional Success: In addition to uncovering the target's Aspirations, the werewolf gains the Informed Condition regarding the target's desires.
    [Comments: A shameless version of the Embed Heart's Desire. It doesn't uncover Virtue or Vice, but it does give the Informed Condition on ES.]
    Last edited by Vent0; 02-03-2018, 11:25 AM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
      The Cunning one seems tricky to work out the utility of, in most cases. It does have its niche, though. Same with the Glory and Honor Facets. Purity's is just mean, and the Wisdom Facet is where the real sexiness happens. But then, Influences are always fun to play with.
      Yeah, I didn't want to overshoot the power level, so I errored on the side of weaker. I like them though. Cunning can be used to indirectly track other Uratha indirectly by the Lunacy they cause or intentionally cause Lunacy, then manipulate their memories. Glory can similarly be used to weaponize Lunacy. Would it be too powerful to open a number of doors equal to dots in Glory? Honour should be flexible as long as Lunacy is inflicted.

Anyhow, here is another gift. It is very much based on Gift of the Elements, but the Influences it grants are sufficiently different that I think they should both coexist reasonably. Also, it clearly demonstrates how much I love mixing Science and Sci-Fi elements into my fantasy horror.

Gift of Radiation (Shadow)

Heat's Caress (Cunning)
      The Uratha gains Influence (Infrared Radiation) equal to her dots in Cunning. She can use this Influence in the same way as a spirit. Her dice pool for Influence (Infrared Radiation) is Dexterity + Survival + Cunning.

Spread Radiation (Glory)

Cost: 5 Essence per level Influence being used
      Dice Pool: Occult + Presence + Glory
      Action: Extended (15 success; each roll represents 1 hour)

This Facet is used in conjunction with the Influence granted by another Radiation Facet, making it operate on a catastrophic scale. An Uratha who posses this Facet is also unaffected by the effects of Influence that other Uratha have augmented with Spread Radiation.

Dramatic Failure: The Uratha suffers the Essence Overloaded Condition.
      Failure: No successes are gained, and the Uratha suffers the Stumbled Condition.
      Success: Successes are gained. If the target number of successes is hit, the Influence is unleashed on a massive scale, affecting an area of a radius in miles equal to twice the Uratha's Glory Renown. Even minor manifestations of radiation on this scale can be catastrophic, causing mass blackouts, jamming communications, or causing widespread radiation poisoning.
      Exceptional Success: The Uratha is infused with the power of the electromagnetic spectrum. She may use any of her Radiation Facets' Influences at no cost in Essence for the next day, although further uses of Spread Radiation still cost Essence as normal.

Flower's Path (Honour)
      The Uratha gains Influence (Ultraviolet Radiation) equal to her dots in Honour. She can use this Influence in the same way as a spirit. Her dice pool for Influence (Ultraviolet Radiation) is Socialize + Presence + Honour.

Nuclear Blessing (Purity)
      The Uratha gains Influence (Ionizing Radiation) equal to her dots in Cunning. She can use this Influence in the same way as a spirit. Her dice pool for Influence (Ionizing Radiation) is Intelligence + Science + Purity.

Heart of Deep Space (Wisdom)
      The Uratha gains Influence (Radio Waves) equal to her dots in Wisdom. She can use this Influence in the same way as a spirit. Her dice pool for Influence (Wisdom) is Wits + Investigation + Wisdom.
      Last edited by Second Chances; 12-24-2017, 12:46 AM.

Freelancer - Dark Eras 2
      He/His Pronouns
      CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
        Yeah, I didn't want to overshoot the power level, so I errored on the side of weaker. I like them though. Cunning can be used to indirectly track other Uratha indirectly by the Lunacy they cause or intentionally cause Lunacy, then manipulate their memories. Glory can similarly be used to weaponize Lunacy. Would it be too powerful to open a number of doors equal to dots in Glory? Honour should be flexible as long as Lunacy is inflicted.

Anyhow, here is another gift. It is very much based on Gift of the Elements, but the Influences it grants are sufficiently different that I think they should both coexist reasonably. Also, it clearly demonstrates how much I love mixing Science and Sci-Fi elements into my fantasy horror.

Gift of Radiation

Heat's Caress (Cunning)
        The Uratha gains Influence (Infrared Radiation) equal to her dots in Cunning. She can use this Influence in the same way as a spirit. Her dice pool for Influence (Infrared Radiation) is Dexterity + Survival + Cunning.

Spread Radiation (Glory)

Cost: 5 Essence per level Influence being used
        Dice Pool: Occult + Presence + Glory
        Action: Extended (15 success; each roll represents 1 hour)

This Facet is used in conjunction with the Influence granted by another Radiation Facet, making it operate on a catastrophic scale. An Uratha who posses this Facet is also unaffected by the effects of Influence that other Uratha have augmented with Spread Radiation.

Dramatic Failure: The Uratha suffers the Essence Overloaded Condition.
        Failure: No successes are gained, and the Uratha suffers the Stumbled Condition.
        Success: Successes are gained. If the target number of successes is hit, the Influence is unleashed on a massive scale, affecting an area of a radius in miles equal to twice the Uratha's Glory Renown. Even minor manifestations of radiation on this scale can be catastrophic, causing mass blackouts, jamming communications, or causing widespread radiation poisoning.
        Exceptional Success: The Uratha is infused with the power of the electromagnetic spectrum. She may use any of her Radiation Facets' Influences at no cost in Essence for the next day, although further uses of Spread Radiation still cost Essence as normal.

Flower's Path (Honour)
        The Uratha gains Influence (Ultraviolet Radiation) equal to her dots in Honour. She can use this Influence in the same way as a spirit. Her dice pool for Influence (Ultraviolet Radiation) is Socialize + Presence + Honour.

Nuclear Blessing (Purity)
        The Uratha gains Influence (Ionizing Radiation) equal to her dots in Cunning. She can use this Influence in the same way as a spirit. Her dice pool for Influence (Ionizing Radiation) is Intelligence + Science + Purity.

Heart of Deep Space (Wisdom)
        The Uratha gains Influence (Radio Waves) equal to her dots in Wisdom. She can use this Influence in the same way as a spirit. Her dice pool for Influence (Wisdom) is Wits + Investigation + Wisdom.
        I <3 Nuclear Power. I feel like it should almost have one Facet called Silent Spring.

Any feedback on my stubs? I'm trying to work out the exact mechanics (and names).

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

I <3 Nuclear Power. I feel like it should almost have one Facet called Silent Spring.

Any feedback on my stubs? I'm trying to work out the exact mechanics (and names).
          I like you ideas, but I don't know how to execute the mechanics off the top of my head. They seem like they would be fun to play with though.

Freelancer - Dark Eras 2
          He/His Pronouns

Comment

Re: Lunatic Fringe; why not specify that it was to be attack rolls or damage dealing rolls are exempt? That way you also close the loophole of throwing weapons with Athletivs without losing access to (admittedly rare) rolls like Wits + Brawl to recognize what fighting style an opponent uses.

Bloodline: The Stygians
            Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
            Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
              Re: Lunatic Fringe; why not specify that it was to be attack rolls or damage dealing rolls are exempt? That way you also close the loophole of throwing weapons with Athletivs without losing access to (admittedly rare) rolls like Wits + Brawl to recognize what fighting style an opponent uses.
              I like it! I'll make the edit sometime later tonight.

Freelancer - Dark Eras 2
              He/His Pronouns

Comment

Hmm. The opposite of giving is taking, so why not some Gift related to that? No idea on the name, but maybe Facets related to Co-opting a target's Merits, syphoning Essence, or even a kind of "counter magic" for neutralizing active supernatural effects?

Comment

There's merits for that.

Comment

Yeah.

I think we'd be likely to get some things like that in the Crossover Chronicle. Gifts of Magic and Necromancy. More in line with the game, though, they would be scattered across various Gifts, as a Gift doesn't represent a hard counter to something so much as using it to hunt. So Gifts of the Mockingbird, of the Leech, of Theft, Envy, Greed, Magic and Sorcery would probably offer different sorts of counters or neutralizations or outright stealing of superpowers.

Comment

The radiation gifts are fascinating, I just wish I knew more about what the individual waves actually do. I wonder how they would function in the Shadow where things are decidedly... different.

With your permission I'd love to steal and experiment with these gifts in my own games.

Comment

Working...
                      X