• Time
  • Show
Clear All

B, please!

Comment

Definitely B.

Bloodline: The Stygians
      Ordo Dracul Mystery: Coil of Smoke
      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

it will be B for me.

Despite the user name I am actually bigender.

My Savannah Setting for CofD can be found here

My heroes as monster tamers rules for BtP can be found here

Comment

My vote for A

Currently running: VtR - The most serene requiem of Venice
          Currently playing: Tomb of Annihilation (DnD5e) - Thulwir, Aasimar Circle of Dream Druid.

Comment

I vote for B.

Comment

Both sound cool, but I have to go with B.

Comment

I'll leave the voting open for an extra day, as I need to get up early tomorrow to catch a flight

- Chris Allen
                Freelance Writer, Deviant: the Renegade / The Pack / Dark Eras / Forsaken 2nd Edition / Idigam Anthology / Awakening 2nd Edition / Trinity Aeon / And more besides...

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

Looks like the Bs have it! Will set to work soon.

- Chris Allen
                  Freelance Writer, Deviant: the Renegade / The Pack / Dark Eras / Forsaken 2nd Edition / Idigam Anthology / Awakening 2nd Edition / Trinity Aeon / And more besides...

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

Spirit Noble Numina
                    Bear with me on this one. This is rickety stuff, a frail sketch of an early idea of a notion; this is the first gluing together of what I've been noodling about in my head and slowly building through play experience in my own chronicles.

​I'm not going to go into deep examples and illustrated set-ups of spirit courts, broods, choirs, power structures - not here and now, anyway. What I do need to cover, in order to give meaning to the following rules, is a definition of what I mean by 'spirit noble'.

​A spirit noble is a spirit who has influence, power and authority over a number of other spirits, forming a coherent group recognised by other spirits due to the weird natures of the Shadow itself. A spirit noble's control is reinforced by a symbolic, spiritual bond between the spirits of its group - some might look at this and wonder at what relation it bears to the similar spiritual bindings holding together Uratha packs. Often, a spirit noble receives tithes of Essence from the other spirits, which reinforce these bonds and also free the noble from the constant need to gather Essence or predate on other spirits; thus spirit nobles are particularly capable of building and pursuing agendas that run beyond the immediate desire to feed. Those spirits who pay allegiance to a spirit noble are often called vassals; a spirit noble can itself be a vassal, offering allegiance to a yet greater spirit noble.

​As well as the Essence, resources, and direct service that a spirit noble receives from vassals, the strength of the spiritual bond that it possesses with its fiefdom strengthens its Essence further with the potential development of numina that tap into this web of power. A spirit noble often directly displays a more profound control over the Shadow and its vassal spirits than might be expected for its Rank. This, in turn, reinforces its strength and control over its fief, protecting it from usurpers and predators.

​Access to Noble Numina
                    A spirit needs more than just a handful of vassals to gather the spiritual might required for noble numina. As its power grows, it can manifest a larger number; it can replace existing numina with noble numina as it gains access to them and, if its power later falters so that it can no longer sustain as many, the noble numina will be once again overwritten by regular numina.

A spirit noble that controls a relatively small and local group (such as a decay spirit lording over a crumbling neighbourhood of several streets) may gain the strength to acquire 1 noble numina; a noble that controls a significant regional group (perhaps a lord of the fear spirits of an entire city) may acquire up to 3; a noble that controls a massive group across a wide area (the spirit-mandarin in charge of the death choir of all China, for example) can acquire up to 5; and a noble that controls a worldwide group can acquire up to 7.

​Noble numina can be powerful and weird, particularly where they allow the spirit to affect the nature of the Shadow or to exert its influence over other spirits. A noble numina can also just be a plain upgrade to an existing one, amplified by the noble's greater power resonating through an entire network of spirits.

​Here follow ten sample noble numina. This is not meant to be an exhaustive list, or even necessarily what I would consider a 'core' conceptually for noble numina - these are numina that I have used for the specific nobles that have appeared in my own game, or notions that have just caught my fancy when writing this up. I would absolutely encourage new and unique noble numina matched to the nature of a given spirit noble.

Desolation
                    ​The spirit can inflict its Essence on the local Shadow, warping it with the spirit's resonance into a hostile and uncompromising state. The numen costs 25 Essence and takes a week to use; the Essence cost can be paid over the duration of the week, but at least 5 must be paid to begin the process. Once complete, the spirit must pay an additional 5 Essence per month to sustain the numen.​ Once complete, all beings apart from the spirit and its vassals that move through the local region suffer a penalty to Initiative and perception rolls equal to the spirit's Rank, and treat all distances as twice what they actually are; it may be that the landscape is simply choked or difficult to cross, or it may be that the fabric of the Shadow literally warps and twists to stretch away ahead of intruders. Additionally, choose or create a low-intensity environmental Tilt; this will randomly affect parts of the local Shadow or can be specifically invoked by the spirit spending a single point of Willpower, and will not affect the spirit or its vassals.

Essence Gatekeeper
                    The spirit can bind its Essence with that welling up within a locus that it is standing within the zone of influence of. The numen costs 5 Essence, and the spirit can bind a number of loci up to its Rank to itself. It is immediately aware of the presence and identity of any being that draws Essence from the locus or uses it to cross over and can, by spending 1 Willpower, seal the locus for as long as it wishes; only the spirit and any vassals that have been targeted with Investiture of Power can draw Essence from a sealed locus or cross over at it. Sealed loci are visible in the Shadow as having been closed or barred in some way that reflects the spirit's nature. Each sealed locus also increases the corpus of the spirit by 3 and its maximum Essence by 5, and reduces its Speed and Initiative by 1.

Investiture of Power
                    The spirit grants a vassal spirit a fraction of its power. The numen costs 3 Essence, but also reduces the maximum Essence pool of the spirit for as long as it sustains the investiture - by 1 if it grants a numen or manifestation, or by 2 if it grants armour or damage. The vassal either gains access to 1 regular numen or manifestation possessed by the spirit, or may split the spirit's Rank between armour and bonus damage on the vassal's attacks; it also gains the spirit's Rank in additional Corpus, and applies the spirit's Rank as a penalty to all dice pools that would influence, compel or control the vassal other than those of the spirit itself. A vassal spirit affected by Investiture of Power has its appearance altered in some way to reflect its' liege's power.

Mass Influence
                    The spirit can greatly augment one of its Influences, chosen when the numen is selected. The numen can have one of several effects, enhancing the Influence's use for an additional 3 Essence per effect added: causing the Influence to affect an area of up to a mile, increasing the duration on the Influence duration chart by one step, or rendering the Influence's effects subtler and applying the spirit's Rank as a penalty to all attempts to detect, analyse or identify the Influence at work.

Panoply
                    The spirit is empowered by the Essence of its vassals. This numen can be taken several times; each time it is selected, the spirit gains a different one of the following benefits. The spirit can gain levels of corpus and Armour equal to its Rank; add its Rank to the damage it deals with its attacks; gain the autofire quality on any ranged numina it possesses; or gain the ability to ignore a single Tilt inflicted on it each round.

Shadow Invasion
                    ​The spirit can intrude the fabric of the Shadow into the Flesh, overwriting mundane reality with the madness of the Hisil​. The numen requires a locus that matches the resonance of the spirit, costs 25 Essence and takes a week to use; the Essence cost can be paid over the duration of the week, but at least 5 must be paid to begin the process. Once complete, the spirit must pay an additional 5 Essence per month to sustain the numen.​ The Shadow expands over to the other side of the locus, covering an area equal to the zone of influence of a locus of 1 dot at first and expanding each week by one step on the table of zone of influence, to a maximum of 5. The affected area is treated as the Shadow for the purposes of spirits, rites and other phenomena; a feedback loop forms that generates Essence as normal on both sides of the Gauntlet as the twin Shadows reflect each other. The Gauntlet strength of the entire affected area becomes that of a locus, and obviously spirits do not need Manifestations to materialise or act in the Flesh-side Shadow that has slithered into the world. The Shadow-Flesh is clearly evident as such to anyone who stumbles into it, and its original form will begin to twist and warp like the true Shadow does. If the spirit ceases to upkeep the effect, the locus is closed, or the spirit is discorporated, the effect will end; the Shadow retreats back to the locus, withdrawing a step on the zone of influence table per day until it is gone. Changes remain, though, and so the area is likely to look very strange indeed after the Hisil has withdrawn.

Shadow Stele
                    The spirit can craft an ephemeral receptacle and embed its own power within, letting another spirit take and use the embedded capabilities. The numen costs 5 Essence per numen or dot of Influence the spirit wishes to place within. It takes the form of a substantial object in the Shadow such as a pillar or menhir the appearance of which reflects the powers invested into it; the stele has Durability equal to twice the spirit's Rank and Structure equal to ten times its Rank, and can be moved by a spirit with Power equal to twice the Rank of the creator. The creator suffers a -3 penalty to dice pools using the invested numina and Influences as long as they are linked to the stele; it can withdraw its investiture from the stele at any time, and if the stele is destroyed then the link immediately ends while also dealing a single point of lethal damage to the spirit.

Another spirit can access the power invested in a stele by spending 1 point of Willpower while touching it. This allows the spirit to use a single numen or Influence stored in the stele as if it possessed the ability itself. For as long as the spirit wields any of these loaned powers, it gains the Bane of the stele's creator alongside its own Bane. Note that noble numina can be invested into a stele, but only another noble can wield the loaned power - but it does not need to be powerful enough to have even a single noble numina of its own to do this.

Shadow Throne
                    The spirit can invest its power into a location in the Shadow. The numen costs 25 Essence and takes 1 week to use; the Essence cost can be paid over the duration of the week, but at least 5 must be paid to begin the process. Once complete, the spirit must pay an additional 5 Essence per month to sustain the numen. The location is visually affected, changing to more closely reflect the spirit's nature. While in the shadow throne, the spirit gains a +3 bonus to its Resistance attribute and to dice pools to perceive or detect lies, regenerates 1 Bashing or Lethal damage every turn, and the cost of using its Influences is reduced by 1 Essence.

Additionally, at an additional cost of 25 Essence over a week, the spirit may change the rules of the shadow throne's internal properties; each such change increases the cost of Essence the spirit must pay each month by a further 5. These changes can be powerful and unique, reflecting the symbolic nature of the spirit and the location. Examples could include writhing chains or roots that attempt to grapple intruders, intruders' shadows become animate spies that tattle about their every move to the spirit, the throne granting the effects of certain merits such as a library, a font of bloody Essence welling up that can heal spirits that drink from it once per week, attempts at writing anything down resulting in the words slithering away to manifest as a hostile entity of vitriolic poetry, gravity reorientating itself to the closest surface in an Escheresque tangle of architecture, a shroud that makes it impossible to perceive within the throne through supernatural means, environmental tilts such as deathly frost that do not affect the spirit or any vassals, supernatural mazes, and plenty more possibilities besides.

Tyrant Mask
                    The spirit binds another spirit with a splinter of its Essence, overwriting a portion of its nature with the spirit's own and forcing it into vassalage even if it does not desire to serve. The numen costs 1 Essence, and is contested by Resistance if the target is unwilling. The target becomes a vassal, suffers a penalty equal to the spirit's Rank to any dice pools to resist the spirit's influence or commands, and has its Bane replaced by the spirit's Bane. The vassal also gains the spirit's Rank in additional Corpus. The spirit can sense any attempts to influence, control or subvert its masked vassals and can reflexively spend 1 Essence should such an attempt suceed to enter a Clash of Wills with the rote quality on its roll and the full +4 bonus for duration of effect. A vassal spirit affected by Tyrant Mask has its appearance altered in some way to reflect its enslavement, usually as one or more masks cruelly embedded in its flesh. The numen lasts until the spirit noble willingly releases a vassal or until the spirit noble or vassal are discorporated.

Web of Power
                    The spirit is aware of the rough location and state of its vassals, and is alerted if any of them are destroyed. The spirit can spend 1 Essence to perceive any vassal and its immediate surroundings, and can communicate through the vassal directly. If both spirit and vassal spend 1 point of Willpower, the spirit can use a single numen through the vassal as a conduit; a vassal can only serve as a conduit once per day in this way.

​Happy New Year!

- Chris Allen

Comment

Originally posted by Acrozatarim View Post
                      Spirit Noble Numina
                      Bear with me on this one. This is rickety stuff, a frail sketch of an early idea of a notion; this is the first gluing together of what I've been noodling about in my head and slowly building through play experience in my own chronicles.

​I'm not going to go into deep examples and illustrated set-ups of spirit courts, broods, choirs, power structures - not here and now, anyway. What I do need to cover, in order to give meaning to the following rules, is a definition of what I mean by 'spirit noble'.

​A spirit noble is a spirit who has influence, power and authority over a number of other spirits, forming a coherent group recognised by other spirits due to the weird natures of the Shadow itself. A spirit noble's control is reinforced by a symbolic, spiritual bond between the spirits of its group - some might look at this and wonder at what relation it bears to the similar spiritual bindings holding together Uratha packs. Often, a spirit noble receives tithes of Essence from the other spirits, which reinforce these bonds and also free the noble from the constant need to gather Essence or predate on other spirits; thus spirit nobles are particularly capable of building and pursuing agendas that run beyond the immediate desire to feed. Those spirits who pay allegiance to a spirit noble are often called vassals; a spirit noble can itself be a vassal, offering allegiance to a yet greater spirit noble.

​As well as the Essence, resources, and direct service that a spirit noble receives from vassals, the strength of the spiritual bond that it possesses with its fiefdom strengthens its Essence further with the potential development of numina that tap into this web of power. A spirit noble often directly displays a more profound control over the Shadow and its vassal spirits than might be expected for its Rank. This, in turn, reinforces its strength and control over its fief, protecting it from usurpers and predators.

​Access to Noble Numina
                      A spirit needs more than just a handful of vassals to gather the spiritual might required for noble numina. As its power grows, it can manifest a larger number; it can replace existing numina with noble numina as it gains access to them and, if its power later falters so that it can no longer sustain as many, the noble numina will be once again overwritten by regular numina.

A spirit noble that controls a relatively small and local group (such as a decay spirit lording over a crumbling neighbourhood of several streets) may gain the strength to acquire 1 noble numina; a noble that controls a significant regional group (perhaps a lord of the fear spirits of an entire city) may acquire up to 3; a noble that controls a massive group across a wide area (the spirit-mandarin in charge of the death choir of all China, for example) can acquire up to 5; and a noble that controls a worldwide group can acquire up to 7.

​Noble numina can be powerful and weird, particularly where they allow the spirit to affect the nature of the Shadow or to exert its influence over other spirits. A noble numina can also just be a plain upgrade to an existing one, amplified by the noble's greater power resonating through an entire network of spirits.

​Here follow ten sample noble numina. This is not meant to be an exhaustive list, or even necessarily what I would consider a 'core' conceptually for noble numina - these are numina that I have used for the specific nobles that have appeared in my own game, or notions that have just caught my fancy when writing this up. I would absolutely encourage new and unique noble numina matched to the nature of a given spirit noble.

Desolation
                      ​The spirit can inflict its Essence on the local Shadow, warping it with the spirit's resonance into a hostile and uncompromising state. The numen costs 25 Essence and takes a week to use; the Essence cost can be paid over the duration of the week, but at least 5 must be paid to begin the process. Once complete, the spirit must pay an additional 5 Essence per month to sustain the numen.​ Once complete, all beings apart from the spirit and its vassals that move through the local region suffer a penalty to Initiative and perception rolls equal to the spirit's Rank, and treat all distances as twice what they actually are; it may be that the landscape is simply choked or difficult to cross, or it may be that the fabric of the Shadow literally warps and twists to stretch away ahead of intruders. Additionally, choose or create a low-intensity environmental Tilt; this will randomly affect parts of the local Shadow or can be specifically invoked by the spirit spending a single point of Willpower, and will not affect the spirit or its vassals.

Essence Gatekeeper
                      The spirit can bind its Essence with that welling up within a locus that it is standing within the zone of influence of. The numen costs 5 Essence, and the spirit can bind a number of loci up to its Rank to itself. It is immediately aware of the presence and identity of any being that draws Essence from the locus or uses it to cross over and can, by spending 1 Willpower, seal the locus for as long as it wishes; only the spirit and any vassals that have been targeted with Investiture of Power can draw Essence from a sealed locus or cross over at it. Sealed loci are visible in the Shadow as having been closed or barred in some way that reflects the spirit's nature. Each sealed locus also increases the corpus of the spirit by 3 and its maximum Essence by 5, and reduces its Speed and Initiative by 1.

Investiture of Power
                      The spirit grants a vassal spirit a fraction of its power. The numen costs 3 Essence, but also reduces the maximum Essence pool of the spirit for as long as it sustains the investiture - by 1 if it grants a numen or manifestation, or by 2 if it grants armour or damage. The vassal either gains access to 1 regular numen or manifestation possessed by the spirit, or may split the spirit's Rank between armour and bonus damage on the vassal's attacks; it also gains the spirit's Rank in additional Corpus, and applies the spirit's Rank as a penalty to all dice pools that would influence, compel or control the vassal other than those of the spirit itself. A vassal spirit affected by Investiture of Power has its appearance altered in some way to reflect its' liege's power.

Mass Influence
                      The spirit can greatly augment one of its Influences, chosen when the numen is selected. The numen can have one of several effects, enhancing the Influence's use for an additional 3 Essence per effect added: causing the Influence to affect an area of up to a mile, increasing the duration on the Influence duration chart by one step, or rendering the Influence's effects subtler and applying the spirit's Rank as a penalty to all attempts to detect, analyse or identify the Influence at work.

Panoply
                      The spirit is empowered by the Essence of its vassals. This numen can be taken several times; each time it is selected, the spirit gains a different one of the following benefits. The spirit can gain levels of corpus and Armour equal to its Rank; add its Rank to the damage it deals with its attacks; gain the autofire quality on any ranged numina it possesses; or gain the ability to ignore a single Tilt inflicted on it each round.

Shadow Invasion
                      ​The spirit can intrude the fabric of the Shadow into the Flesh, overwriting mundane reality with the madness of the Hisil​. The numen requires a locus that matches the resonance of the spirit, costs 25 Essence and takes a week to use; the Essence cost can be paid over the duration of the week, but at least 5 must be paid to begin the process. Once complete, the spirit must pay an additional 5 Essence per month to sustain the numen.​ The Shadow expands over to the other side of the locus, covering an area equal to the zone of influence of a locus of 1 dot at first and expanding each week by one step on the table of zone of influence, to a maximum of 5. The affected area is treated as the Shadow for the purposes of spirits, rites and other phenomena; a feedback loop forms that generates Essence as normal on both sides of the Gauntlet as the twin Shadows reflect each other. The Gauntlet strength of the entire affected area becomes that of a locus, and obviously spirits do not need Manifestations to materialise or act in the Flesh-side Shadow that has slithered into the world. The Shadow-Flesh is clearly evident as such to anyone who stumbles into it, and its original form will begin to twist and warp like the true Shadow does. If the spirit ceases to upkeep the effect, the locus is closed, or the spirit is discorporated, the effect will end; the Shadow retreats back to the locus, withdrawing a step on the zone of influence table per day until it is gone. Changes remain, though, and so the area is likely to look very strange indeed after the Hisil has withdrawn.

Shadow Stele
                      The spirit can craft an ephemeral receptacle and embed its own power within, letting another spirit take and use the embedded capabilities. The numen costs 5 Essence per numen or dot of Influence the spirit wishes to place within. It takes the form of a substantial object in the Shadow such as a pillar or menhir the appearance of which reflects the powers invested into it; the stele has Durability equal to twice the spirit's Rank and Structure equal to ten times its Rank, and can be moved by a spirit with Power equal to twice the Rank of the creator. The creator suffers a -3 penalty to dice pools using the invested numina and Influences as long as they are linked to the stele; it can withdraw its investiture from the stele at any time, and if the stele is destroyed then the link immediately ends while also dealing a single point of lethal damage to the spirit.

Another spirit can access the power invested in a stele by spending 1 point of Willpower while touching it. This allows the spirit to use a single numen or Influence stored in the stele as if it possessed the ability itself. For as long as the spirit wields any of these loaned powers, it gains the Bane of the stele's creator alongside its own Bane. Note that noble numina can be invested into a stele, but only another noble can wield the loaned power - but it does not need to be powerful enough to have even a single noble numina of its own to do this.

Shadow Throne
                      The spirit can invest its power into a location in the Shadow. The numen costs 25 Essence and takes 1 week to use; the Essence cost can be paid over the duration of the week, but at least 5 must be paid to begin the process. Once complete, the spirit must pay an additional 5 Essence per month to sustain the numen. The location is visually affected, changing to more closely reflect the spirit's nature. While in the shadow throne, the spirit gains a +3 bonus to its Resistance attribute and to dice pools to perceive or detect lies, regenerates 1 Bashing or Lethal damage every turn, and the cost of using its Influences is reduced by 1 Essence.

Additionally, at an additional cost of 25 Essence over a week, the spirit may change the rules of the shadow throne's internal properties; each such change increases the cost of Essence the spirit must pay each month by a further 5. These changes can be powerful and unique, reflecting the symbolic nature of the spirit and the location. Examples could include writhing chains or roots that attempt to grapple intruders, intruders' shadows become animate spies that tattle about their every move to the spirit, the throne granting the effects of certain merits such as a library, a font of bloody Essence welling up that can heal spirits that drink from it once per week, attempts at writing anything down resulting in the words slithering away to manifest as a hostile entity of vitriolic poetry, gravity reorientating itself to the closest surface in an Escheresque tangle of architecture, a shroud that makes it impossible to perceive within the throne through supernatural means, environmental tilts such as deathly frost that do not affect the spirit or any vassals, supernatural mazes, and plenty more possibilities besides.

Tyrant Mask
                      The spirit binds another spirit with a splinter of its Essence, overwriting a portion of its nature with the spirit's own and forcing it into vassalage even if it does not desire to serve. The numen costs 1 Essence, and is contested by Resistance if the target is unwilling. The target becomes a vassal, suffers a penalty equal to the spirit's Rank to any dice pools to resist the spirit's influence or commands, and has its Bane replaced by the spirit's Bane. The vassal also gains the spirit's Rank in additional Corpus. The spirit can sense any attempts to influence, control or subvert its masked vassals and can reflexively spend 1 Essence should such an attempt suceed to enter a Clash of Wills with the rote quality on its roll and the full +4 bonus for duration of effect. A vassal spirit affected by Tyrant Mask has its appearance altered in some way to reflect its enslavement, usually as one or more masks cruelly embedded in its flesh. The numen lasts until the spirit noble willingly releases a vassal or until the spirit noble or vassal are discorporated.

Web of Power
                      The spirit is aware of the rough location and state of its vassals, and is alerted if any of them are destroyed. The spirit can spend 1 Essence to perceive any vassal and its immediate surroundings, and can communicate through the vassal directly. If both spirit and vassal spend 1 point of Willpower, the spirit can use a single numen through the vassal as a conduit; a vassal can only serve as a conduit once per day in this way.

​Happy New Year!

Fascinating! Those powers are enough to put the fear of gods into any werwulf.
                      Ive got some questions
                      1) Could Pangaens become nobles of their own spirit court back when they roamed the Shadow?
                      2)If a Spirit Noble Claims a person,could the Noble still uses it's Numina?
                      3)if a Magath manages to find enough spirits to be loyal to it,could the Magath become a Spirit Noble?

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post

Fascinating! Those powers are enough to put the fear of gods into any werwulf.
                        Ive got some questions
                        1) Could Pangaens become nobles of their own spirit court back when they roamed the Shadow?
                        I'm inclined to say no - they're not spirits, after all - but it's not like they can't have an array of Dread Powers with similar effects anyway.

2)If a Spirit Noble Claims a person,could the Noble still uses it's Numina?
                        Well, normally a Claimed can't use any of the spirit's numina anyway, so by default no. However I could see a noble numina that explicitly empowers a spirit noble when it does Claim a target - call it Tyrant of Twisted Flesh or whatnot - and that lets it continue to access all its numina even as a Claimed.

Magath manages to find enough spirits to be loyal to it,could the Magath become a Spirit Noble?
                        ​Yes. I mean, it'd be tricky - most nobles probably come about because their attempt to assert their dominance is reinforced by natural Shadow reflections that give them a bunch of other spirits inclined to obey them - like the Sparkblood Seneschal, which has a constant flow of lesser electricity spirits coming through its lair which are, by their nature, easy vassal prospects for it. Magath lack that natural place, so getting other spirits to vassalise will be difficult, but not impossible. The less batshit insane a magath is, the easier it'll be.

​I had two duelling spirit-broods in one chronicle I ran - factions of the fear choir, one run by a spirit noble who represented fear of what lies in the dark or beyond the circle of firelight, fear of the unknown, etc, while the other was run by a magath of violence, fear and glass and inclined much more heavily towards visceral fear of pain and violence and murder. The magath was pretty unhinged, but had enough stability of concept to run its herd through intimidation, violence and coercion - which fit fairly well with its brood's symbolic concept, so worked.

- Chris Allen

Comment

Originally posted by Acrozatarim View Post

I'm inclined to say no - they're not spirits, after all - but it's not like they can't have an array of Dread Powers with similar effects anyway.

Well, normally a Claimed can't use any of the spirit's numina anyway, so by default no. However I could see a noble numina that explicitly empowers a spirit noble when it does Claim a target - call it Tyrant of Twisted Flesh or whatnot - and that lets it continue to access all its numina even as a Claimed.

​Yes. I mean, it'd be tricky - most nobles probably come about because their attempt to assert their dominance is reinforced by natural Shadow reflections that give them a bunch of other spirits inclined to obey them - like the Sparkblood Seneschal, which has a constant flow of lesser electricity spirits coming through its lair which are, by their nature, easy vassal prospects for it. Magath lack that natural place, so getting other spirits to vassalise will be difficult, but not impossible. The less batshit insane a magath is, the easier it'll be.

​I had two duelling spirit-broods in one chronicle I ran - factions of the fear choir, one run by a spirit noble who represented fear of what lies in the dark or beyond the circle of firelight, fear of the unknown, etc, while the other was run by a magath of violence, fear and glass and inclined much more heavily towards visceral fear of pain and violence and murder. The magath was pretty unhinged, but had enough stability of concept to run its herd through intimidation, violence and coercion - which fit fairly well with its brood's symbolic concept, so worked.
                          Thank you!

Comment

I really like how spirit nobles are presented- it really gives an interesting aspect to the politics of the Shadow, and grounds a concept which always was out there. Well done. Also, is it me, or that the powers of a spirit noble- shaping the terrain, vassals and itself- kinda reminds of the Essence Shaping abilities of the Idigam? Makes you think, ha?

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Yeah, those Spirit Nobles sounds a lot like lesser versions of Idigams - whitch is good thing. More ompf to your Shadow Realm rulers - without changing everything to manipulations of alien, cosmic monsters wanting to kill Uratha PCs on sight.

LGBT+ in CoD games
                              Dark Eras fan stuff hub ( with Eras inside ):
                              Byzantine Empire in Middle Ages ( 330–1453 A.D.)
                              Conquest of Paradise – Portugal and Spain in 15th century and their conquests
                              My stuff for VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                                Yeah, those Spirit Nobles sounds a lot like lesser versions of Idigams - whitch is good thing. More ompf to your Shadow Realm rulers - without changing everything to manipulations of alien, cosmic monsters wanting to kill Uratha PCs on sight.
                                Hey, this may work as a better framework for your dragon than as an idigam while still catching some of the feeling you want. I know that ship has sailed already, but if you revisit it in the future, it may be worth considering.

Freelancer - Dark Eras 2
                                He/His Pronouns
                                CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Working...
                                X