Staking a Werewolf

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staking a Werewolf

I want to know if staking a werewolf through the heart will kill it.

I understand that werewolves with low harmony can shift to Gauru form as a reflexive action, how does this affect the outcome?

Is it a matter of the damage to the heart being greater than the werewolf's stamina?

RE: Staking a Werewolf

In the Chronicles of Darkness combat system, called shots never really enhance lethality. The system already assumes that in most combat with weapons involved, you are already actively trying to kill your opponent. Regardless of where you are aiming your attack, the lethality will be based on how well the blow landed (ie. the number of successes plus weapon modifier). Driving a stake through someone's heart and getting any result other than "severe and/or fatal injury' tends side case specific to creatures that don't need a working heart to live.

Now that being said, a Storyteller can play the scene a few different ways. I personally like the Vampire Hunter stabbing a Werewolf in the heart but only inflicting 2-3 pointsof damage, in which case the Werewolf pulls the implement from their chest with an an understated "Ow" and begins to transform.

Curios, Relics, and Tomes - A collection of Relics (Cursed and Otherwise)
    The Horror Lab - A collection of Beasts, Monsters and less definable things.
    Strange Places - A collection of Dark, Mysterious, and Wondrous Locations
    Twilight Menagerie - A collection of Ephemeral Entities

Comment

Staking a heart takes a -3 roll, and you need to do 5 damage to actually pull it off. The end result is doing (at least) 5 damage. If it's a vampire, they're also knocked into torpor unless they have a special method of avoiding that bane, but werewolves don't really suffer from that weakness. For a werewolf, they take 5 damage. You could potentially do more, if you had a really nice roll, but you would need to do so much Lethal damage that it fills all their Lethal and Aggravated health boxes. That's how you would kill a human with a stake, too.

You need 4-6 Harmony to shift to gauru reflexively for free. At 7-8 and 2-3 you can spend a point of Essence to reflexively do it, as well and at 0-1 you would probably just reflexively go gauru without any player input. Gauru form regenerates all Bashing and Lethal per turn so you would regenerate that damage.

Comment

I did 15L with the stake to that heart. We wanted to know if It killed the thing or if he would just regenerate >.> Thanks!

Comment

That's a big dicepool, from there it would depend if they had 7 or less Health.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
            That's a big dicepool, from there it would depend if they had 7 or less Health.

I dont know the health, but I am going to guess it's more than 7..

And yes. Huge dice pool.

Also:
            Originally posted by nofather View Post
            Staking a heart takes a -3 roll, and you need to do 5 damage to actually pull it off. The end result is doing (at least) 5 damage. If it's a vampire, they're also knocked into torpor unless they have a special method of avoiding that bane, but werewolves don't really suffer from that weakness. For a werewolf, they take 5 damage. You could potentially do more, if you had a really nice roll, but you would need to do so much Lethal damage that it fills all their Lethal and Aggravated health boxes. That's how you would kill a human with a stake, too.
            I thought everyone suffered from the weakness of needing their heart. Kind of die when something gets rammed through it. ^.^
            Last edited by Vitalis; 12-29-2017, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vitalis View Post
              I thought everyone suffered from the weakness of needing their heart. Kind of die when something gets rammed through it. ^.^
              Poking it isn't necessarily getting rid of it, and vampires just fall to torpor (though in character people might not know that, since torpor does look like death).

It probably would have killed my werewolf but he was sort of a weakling from a combat standpoint.
              Last edited by nofather; 12-29-2017, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone !

Comment

There are no instant death hits. The rules are specifically made for vampire so they're the only ones that are affected in any way. I wouldn't apply those rules in any other gameline since then you end up with the possibility of piercing someone's heart (even regular humans) without not even causing full lethal to someone who really should be rapidly dying. Werewolves, just like anyone else, dies at full aggravated. If you didn't fill that werewolf's health track with aggravated damage, they'll just keep on rolling. (But at 15 lethal you probably made some aggravated due to roll over, so next hit, if as powerful, could very well kill the werewolf from damage alone.)

Bloodline: The Stygians
                  Ordo Dracul Mystery: Coil of Smoke
                  Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

A stake through the heart with an exceptional success would also cause stun and bleeding tilts, not to mention a -5 penalty to all rolls just to stay awake, maybe not an insta kill in the case of a werewolf with 10 health in hishu but would give a huge ouch and death rage that woust still leave upon him a 5 aggravated damage wound that would take a long time to heal. Also werewolves don't bleed out easily, even unconcious they spend essence to heal lethal which can be more than one damage per round.
                    Last edited by Story Letter; 12-31-2017, 05:44 AM.

Comment

I can't remember if werewolves have to roll to stay awake, but the damage would only be lethal; not aggravated.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                      Ordo Dracul Mystery: Coil of Smoke
                      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                        I can't remember if werewolves have to roll to stay awake, but the damage would only be lethal; not aggravated.
                        Nope. Regeneration happens before they need to roll to remain conscious.

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                          It depends on the story teller, on how he handles regeneration on initiative roster .

If the werewolf plays first and takes damage that would knock him off, in the next round, assuming he plays first, will regenerate first and will ignore the consciousness roll later, since regeneration is reflexive and always happens in the start of a werewolf's turn, while the stamina roll comes right before a character takes an action in order to see if the character can act at all in the same round.

If the werewolf plays last and takes damage that would knock him off, then he simply regenerates and ignores the consciousness roll and he plays his turn.

Now if you rule that the consciousness roll happens before regeneration then simply in both cases at the beginning of his turn, no matter if he plays on the same turn or the next one, will roll to stay awake with the imposed penalties (if any) and if he stays awake then regenerate and take an action if able. If the werewolf fails to stay awake then he still regenerates and automatically wakes up, even though knocked down.

Werewolves are falling unconscious and bleeding if they are full with lethal, except if they spend essence to heal or regenerate, or both.

I am supporting the idea that shapeshifting and regeneration happen before consciousness roll, but thats a personal taking.
                          Last edited by Story Letter; 12-31-2017, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Unconsciousness rolls also happen at the start of a character's turn.

Comment

Then do consciousness rolls and regeneration count simultaneously and get confused on what should happen first.
                              The easy solution in order to keep the game smooth is to take in consideration what game you play, since its obviously a non werewolf game with a werewolf encounter and the story teller wants to keep the encounter difficult he will regenerate the wounds before the roll. If not then he will knock the werewolf down, since its lethal damage.

A 1st edition rule though is that shapeshifting regeneration and consciousness rolls to happened in such an order that would allow the werewolf up to fighting shape for the longest time possible. So a regeneration can easily be the reaction that fights back the need to struggle for consciousness.

Comment

Working...
                              X