No announcement yet.

Wizards have Wands, Werewolves have...?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wizards have Wands, Werewolves have...?

Happy New Year! This is one of my stranger questions, so bear with me.

I'm outlining a Harry Potter fanfic where instead of wizards, everyone is a Werewolf. I'm actually finding the translation of stories and themes works really well, but I'm stuck on one part. In HP&PS, there was a lot of foreshadowing of wands being important and the physical, tangible parallel between Harry and Voldemort was made by their wands sharing the same core (also foreshadowing). When I write HP up as a Mage story, it's pretty easy, I just make the dedicated tools of all the Mages in the region wands as a cultural quirk. Try as I might, I can't come up with something similar for Werewolves to take its place. I tried fetishes, but I can't seem to make it click. Any thoughts?

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Spiritual resonance? As in, the way the spirit world naturally resonates with them. The impression they initially leave on spirits before even saying a word. Ephemeral imprint, essentially. Might even spice it up with personal totems, making them so that two people sharing connected totems (or two aspects of the same ones)

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

This is specifically about Forsaken werewolves, or werewolves in general? In the former case, a Wolf-Blooded Tell shared before the First Change, esp. one that leaves a mark upon the transformed wolf-body after the Change.

Comment

I was going to suggest Fetishes. Maybe "moonstones"? Are you going for full Uratha, or are you just aiming for the general "werewolf" feel? Because many of the themes might work with Wolf-blooded, and you can have the Wolf-skin that lets them transform stand in for a wand.

What is the exact theme you are aiming for with "wand equivalent"?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
        Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid Loserman View Post
          This is specifically about Forsaken werewolves, or werewolves in general? In the former case, a Wolf-Blooded Tell shared before the First Change, esp. one that leaves a mark upon the transformed wolf-body after the Change.
          Specifically Forsaken. Awakening may be the stupidly obvious CofD line to crossover with Harry Potter, but think Forsaken may be more thematic.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
            Specifically Forsaken. Awakening may be the stupidly obvious CofD line to crossover with Harry Potter, but think Forsaken may be more thematic.
            I'm guessing the "Pure = Death Eaters" comparison will get made at some point?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
            Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

I'll throw in a suggestion for Horcruxes themed after a specific Maeljin if Voldemort turns out Bale Hound. But Death Eaters as Pure makes a lot of sense too, probably more

Comment

Wait and see. I'm planning to post them once I finish writing each book and I do want people to be surprised. That said, if you really want to know...

Nope. Even if the Pure show up, and I'm not 100% sure they will, the Death Eaters will be either whole or mostly Forsaken.

Comment

I was thinking rites. They're not quite spells, which would be more like gifts, where not including a fetish my Command Artifice Gift is going to do the same as yours.

But rites were made to be highly individualized, and passed down that way. So you might have a pack where three members have the Sacred Hunt rite, and each member performs it in an entirely different way, with an entirely different dicepool. One may be a highly ritualized 'mock' hunt, one might be a much more professional power point presentation depicting all the known information of the target where everyone drips blood into a goblet the ritemaster drinks from, and another might involve psychedelic drugs and sadomasochistic sex around an effigy.

With a warning that I'm not that well versed in the Harry Potter Universe, it seems like Draco Malfoy, for instance, would probably have a highly ritualized and perhaps cruel-seeming rite of the sacred hunt with blood and curses, while Harry Potter would probably have to scrounge one up from his friends or research one from an old book because his parents weren't around to teach him, so it could be, basically, anything. And the Weasley Family a more family-dinner or party related thing that focuses on the bond they share (that, in school, away from his family, he would perform with his closest friends).

They're obviously nothing you can whip out in a quick-draw duel but they tend to be personalized and having a rare ritual (you saw Acrozatarim's Eleven Shaman Blessings) can be a huge game changer.

Otherwise you might have Gifts. And while my Command Artifice may be the same as yours, you could have a fetish that alters hows your works to give it more vesatility.
                  Last edited by nofather; 01-01-2018, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Wait and see. I'm planning to post them once I finish writing each book and I do want people to be surprised. That said, if you really want to know...

Nope. Even if the Pure show up, and I'm not 100% sure they will, the Death Eaters will be either whole or mostly Forsaken.
                    Cool. I liked your previous work. Definitely looking forward to this one

Comment

Okay, I wrote up a whole thing about how necklaces/pendants worked, but...

I would use tattoos instead. Why? First, because it hurts to get a tattoo. Werewolves are much more about the viscerality of their experience than the arms-distant wand-using wizards. Second, because tattoos have multiple components that are much more flexible to work with. You have a palette of inks, which are clearly not mere pigment, but derived from various magical creatures and plants. You have the actual image of the tattoo, which in HPverse would naturally also be able to move. And you have the location of the tattoo, which matters the least, but it says something.

I'm going back and forth on whether a werewolf automatically gets their first tattoo.

Tattoos can, and should, tell a story by themselves. Think of them as Auspice markings, but in this case, there's direct association with the Moon and the Pure/DeathEaters of course have them too. Think Maui from Moana. Seriously, go re-watch the music video from "You're Welcome".

I would expect older Wolves' tattoos to become more detailed. The colors should be reflected somewhat in the fur coat they wear when transformed.

I would also expect that tattoos would work a little differently. 1) You can give yourself a tattoo, and it makes sense to try (even if it might be uncommon), because 2) the tattoos draw themselves. They take some direction from the artist and from the werewolf, but they have a mind of their own and are entirely happy to depict something no one expected. You want story potential from apparent coincidence? Ding.

I'd probably throw down a few rules like... tattoos that aren't really images are non-magical. They're just normal tattoos. You can't do something like "Jenny + George 4ever" on your arm: you'd come up with a way to represent them both as an image and entwine them: a great way to represent an Elodoth Gift, perhaps.

The reason that tattoos can move is a function of lycanthropy. Look, your flesh is mercurial as it is. Why wouldn't it be able to mess around with the inks invested into it?

I feel a distinct desire to incorporate this back into the game.

I call the Integrity-analogue the "subjective stat".
                      An explanation how to use Social Manuevering.
                      Guanxi Explanations: 1, 2, 3.

Comment

In first edition you had tattoo and scar fetishes, that could be a thing too.

Comment

What is the exact theme you are aiming for with "wand equivalent"?
                          Excellent question. Its not exactly a theme, more of narrative role.

The role Harry's wand plays is as a reminder of his connection to Voldemort. It introduces the connection in book one through the phoenix feather cores, it acts a a reminder of that connection whenever the wand or phoenixes are mentioned, and then there is a payoff to the wands having a connection in books 4 to 7. Now, obviously Harry's scar also fulfills this roll, but the two of them working together set up in reader's minds from very early on that there is a strong connection between the primary protagonist and antagonist.

I have some ways of doing this, but I feel like I need something more. But I could also be overthinking things.

Originally posted by Cinder View Post
                          Cool. I liked your previous work. Definitely looking forward to this one
                          Thanks! I still want to finish that one and will keep trying to update it, but I bit of more than I could chew, and I didn't properly plot it out that time. This time I'm learning from my mistakes.

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                          In first edition you had tattoo and scar fetishes, that could be a thing too.
                          Where were these in 1e?
                          Last edited by Second Chances; 01-01-2018, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Where were these in 1e?
                            The core book. It was basically a modifier to existing fetishes, sort of. Second edition you might have a separate rite for it, a specialized thing that involves scarification or binding spirits into symbols or inks. It also pops up in the fiction and character write-ups a few times, most memorably in the beginning of Lodges the Faithful.

'Scar/Tattoo Fetish (••+)
                            Nearly all tribes make use of scar or tattoo fetishes to one degree or another. They have the advantage of being permanently part of a werewolf (unless someone physically removes the skin into which the spirit is bound, which happens sometimes). The effects of nearly any type of fetish (except for fetish weapons) can be incorporated into a scar or tattoo. Simply add one dot to the rating of the fetish in question (the Storyteller might also need to make some other judgment calls on how the scar/tattoo fetish works).'

Comment

I'm wondering whether Renown and Auspice Brands would fit your requirements. However the incident at Godric's Hollow came about, part of Voldemort's spirit got imprinted upon Harry, including an until then unique Brand. That fact wouldn't have been obvious to everyone, unless they saw both Voldemort and Harry flair their brands and knew enough of the Occult to realize the importance of that. With Voldemort being as paranoid as his was, the number of such people would be very slim. Additionally, the Brand could play the role of both a Twin Wand and of the Lightning Scar and would have an advantage of being an unrepeatable event, unlike an ordinary scar.

Find my Homebrew Fangs of Mara 2ed update Here

Comment

Working...
                              X