​Toxin in the Garden-Clarifying Coalesence for Chambers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ​Toxin in the Garden-Clarifying Coalesence for Chambers

So, the first question is a simple check-Coalesence causes damage and warping to place (and creatures) in the area that it happened in, right? Whole people can get consumed, landscapes chewed up, etc, etc, correct?

The more interesting concept-What happens when an idigam Coalesces in a Beast's chamber? Even weirder, what about when it's in a Chamber appropriated by one of the Insatiable?

Just poking around for thoughts.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
    Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
    Coalesence causes damage and warping to place (and creatures) in the area that it happened in, right? Whole people can get consumed, landscapes chewed up, etc, etc, correct?
    It can, I don't think it necessarily does that automatically, though. Certain Dread Powers lean towards it, like Crazed Evolution and Mad Fecundity (which affect the area around the idigam). Also if the idigam happens to Coalesce in reaction to a certain creature (one of the sample ones Coalesces around a lune), but that's not really a given.

The more interesting concept-What happens when an idigam Coalesces in a Beast's chamber? Even weirder, what about when it's in a Chamber appropriated by one of the Insatiable?
    It would depend on why it Coalesced, and why it Coalesced there. I imagine there would often be some combat just because I don't think Beasts or Insatiables like things popping up in their Lairs. But if the Coalesced formed in response to some yearning from the Beast, like wanting there to be the Dark Mother, then the idigam becoming the Dark Mother, it might be able to manipulate a peaceful accord out of the situation. Or it could just rip out the Beast's soul and turn it into a slave or something. Or if there was a Beast who didn't want to be a Beast anymore it might usurp the Horror and leave the human alone as it began a quest to purge the world of fear. Alternatively it might take advantage of some oddity in a Lair and become some sort of transmittable dream inferno, ignoring the Beast entirely.
    Last edited by nofather; 01-11-2018, 08:52 PM.

Comment

I'm a little more interested in the direct results of what Coalescence does to the Chamber, as all that goes. Motives and circumstances are things I can always work out. Given the way I remember it(I'm away from my books/PDF's right now), I also needed a quick check on what Coalescence did when executed.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)

Comment

Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
        I'm a little more interested in the direct results of what Coalescence does to the Chamber, as all that goes. Motives and circumstances are things I can always work out. Given the way I remember it(I'm away from my books/PDF's right now), I also needed a quick check on what Coalescence did when executed.
        Motives and circumstances would cause different things to the Chamber, is the thing, ranging from having no effect on it at all to violating it entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post

Motives and circumstances would cause different things to the Chamber, is the thing, ranging from having no effect on it at all to violating it entirely.
          'Bout what I expected with the clarification. Thanks!

Comment

Coalescence itself likely has no direct effect on the Chamber, but there are probably good odds the newly Coalesced idigam will possess Dread Powers or Essence Shaping that allow it to tap into Chambers and the general metaphysical stuff that Beasts draw on, so I'd expect things to go very badly pear-shaped in there very quickly indeed.

- Chris Allen, Freelance Writer: Forsaken & Awakening 2nd Edition / The Pack / Dark Eras 1 & 2 / The Contagion Chronicle / Idigam Anthology / Night Horrors: Nameless & Accursed and Shunned by the Moon / Trinity Aeon / Aeon Aexpansion / And more besides...

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
              Or it could just rip out the Beast's soul and turn it into a slave or something.
              Probably not this; Beasts are immune to any soul-ripping or similar power that doesn't specifically say it works on them, and latter kind kill them in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
                Probably not this; Beasts are immune to any soul-ripping or similar power that doesn't specifically say it works on them, and latter kind kill them in the process.
                I believe that was in the version first available in the Kickstarter, but when it finally came out they had changed it so that you can do it, you just need to do it from within the Lair. There are apparently reapers among mage who go about targeting Beast souls.

P226, 'Due to Beast’s connection to their Lair mages can’t steal the soul of a Begotten just by casting a spell in the physical world. It requires as much ability with the Arcana as taking the soul of a mage, and can only be cast inside the Lair.'

But as said the idigam tends to have unique powers attuned to where it Coalesces, and just being in a Lair means it's already halfway there.

Comment

Huh, I could have sworn there was a sidebar somewhere about Beasts and soul loss but I can't find it anywhere. You must be right and I'm remembering it from the first draft. On the upside that means soul loss doesn't kill them like I remembered that saying.

Comment

And now I have this idea of an idigam that decided it would become the physical incarnation of the Dark Mother, or the even more mythical Primogenitor.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

They're not that much of a stretch, we already have an idigam deciding to be the new Father Wolf.

Comment

Working...
                      X