Four New Gifts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gryphon's Feather View Post
    And guessing from the title, we may be voting four times? With a different set of choices each time.
    I believe this 'day' we're just getting one Gift, as they're more mechanically intensive than the other offerings. Four Gifts would take a lot of work and more time to do right.

Comment

Also, should it be pertinent to Time and if we get it, a brief primer on how Shadow spiritualism approaches the idea of fate would be neat.

No, this is not attempting to push an Acanthus thing, it's just a topic that crossed my mind recently and would love a ready made excuse to talk about.

EDIT: In fact, we'll go ahead and make a thread on that subject, no need to weigh Gift's down with the stuff.
      Last edited by ArcaneArts; 01-31-2018, 12:05 AM.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
      Work Blog Coming Soon
      The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
      Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

As much as i want metal, Time sounds good out of the two with a chance.

Comment

As I've got a few games focused around the oceanfront, my vote is for Tides

Comment

I vote for Darkness, only to see Gift of it or Time.

LGBT+ in CoD games
            Dark Eras fan stuff hub ( with Eras inside ):
            Byzantine Empire in Middle Ages ( 330–1453 A.D.)
            Conquest of Paradise – Portugal and Spain in 15th century and their conquests
            My stuff for VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP

Comment

Current count, including changes of vote but not those that cannot decide between two:

Darkness: 9

Metal: 2

Tides: 5

Time: 15

I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Comment

Darkness need some love.

Comment

Right, closing the voting now! Will set to work soon.

- Chris Allen, Freelance Writer: Forsaken & Awakening 2nd Edition / The Pack / Dark Eras 1 & 2 / The Contagion Chronicle / Idigam Anthology / Night Horrors: Nameless & Accursed and Shunned by the Moon / Trinity Aeon / Aeon Aexpansion / And more besides...

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by Acrozatarim View Post
                    Right, closing the voting now! Will set to work soon.
                    It's about Time.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

The usual disclaimer: This is a first draft, without playtesting, completely unofficial and with no guarantees as to balance, usability or amusement value. I'm not 100% set on Sun Swallower; it's the Facet I'm least confident about and have rewritten several times already.

Gift of Time

Amber Snare (Cunning)
                      The prey is caught in a nightmare of dulled reflexes and sluggish time, the world seeming to slow to a crawl even as the hunters close in.
                      Cost: 2 Essence
                      Dice Pool: Wits + Subterfuge + Cunning - prey's Stamina
                      Action: Instant
                      Duration: 1 scene
                      ​This Facet can be used against a single prey that the Uratha can perceive.

Roll Results
                      Dramatic Failure:
                      The Uratha suffers the Exhausted Condition.
                      Failure: The Facet fails.
                      Success: Whenever the prey would take an action to interact with objects, structures or processes, the effort takes longer than it should. A Reflexive action takes an Instant action instead; an Instant action requires two Instant actions. Getting a door to open, reaching for a weapon, trying to start a car, trying to hammer the digits into a phone all take painfully long moments or are fumbled, sluggish or inept; for the victim, it feels like every movement is trying to push through something heavy and resisting. Additionally, the prey cannot raise their Defence above its normal value via any means, including the Dodge action or supernatural capabilities; they do not benefit from any reduction in Defence that a target of their attacks would usually suffer from multiple attackers in the turn; and they cannot use supernatural capabilities to pre-empt anothers' action or otherwise affect the sequence of events during the scene.
                      Exceptional Success: The prey also receives the Exhausted Condition.

Sun Swallower (Glory)
                      The great wolf chases the sun and devours it, stilling the cycles of the world. This Facet grants a splinter of that power and that moment.
                      Cost: ​1 Essence
                      Action: Reflexive
                      Duration: 1 scene
                      ​Upon activating this Facet, the Uratha strangles the flow of time in the immediate area of the scene. She can pause or slow down up to her Glory Renown in targeted time-reliant processes in the immediate area; if she does not immediately use her full quota of targets, she can reflexively add new ones during the scene until she reaches her maximum.

A clock, timer or other method of measuring the passage of time might halt (such as the timer attached to a bomb, or the watch that the prey is relying on to co-ordinate an activity). The sun or moon might halt in the sky, dimming and visually stuttering slightly; while illumination from it remains, it becomes weak and wan, preventing the manipulation of moonlight or sunlight for the duration. A blazing fire could be frozen in a single moment; it does not burn, consume fuel or spread. A bullet's propellant can be held in stasis rather than immediately igniting when the firearm's trigger is pulled; a grenade's fuse does not progress when the pin is pulled; a pebble that would start an avalanche pauses impossibly atop the boulder it will knock loose. A living being's body can be prevented from bleeding, preventing the loss of health levels from bleeding out. The Poisoned or Sick Tilts on a target can have their effects paused. Supernatural healing on a target can be stifled, although werewolf regeneration is unaffected.

​Sun Swallower does not prevent a character taking actions and, at the end of the scene, any effects held in check immediately resume their usual progression.

Efficiency (Honor)
                      The efforts of the hunter are honed to perfection, every moment exploited to its full.
                      Cost: 1 Essence per interval reduced
                      Action: Reflexive
                      When the Uratha participates in an extended action, whether alone or as the primary or secondary actor via teamwork, she can eliminate the time taken for a number of additional intervals up to her dots in Honor. The rolls still take place and count towards the limit on how many rolls can be made during the extended action; Efficiency cannot reduce the time taken below the minimum of a single interval for the entire action, and it cannot be used more than once during a single extended action.

Out Of Time (Purity)
                      No matter the prey's efforts, they're never ready for the wolves at the door.
                      Cost: 5 Essence
                      Dice Pool: Presence + Survival + Purity - prey's Composure
                      Action: Instant
                      Duration: 1 week

Roll Results
                      Dramatic Failure:
                      The prey gains the 8-again quality on the first Initiative roll they make in a combat facing the Uratha during the next week.
                      Failure: The Facet fails.
                      Success: A significant defensive effort or preparation the prey makes when facing the Uratha is not ready for the first scene in which the Uratha and prey face off during the coming week, and the prey cannot complete that effort until that scene has ended. A human fortifying his house will not manage to get all the doors and windows nailed over with planks by the time the Uratha arrives at his home; a sorcerer, hearing the howl of the wolves, stumbles over the efforts to raise a protective spell around her; a pack take too long about gathering their resources and preparing the rite to call a potent spirit guardian. The exact form the reason for the delay takes will vary depending on the context, and the type of action that the preparation takes is irrelevant - even an Instant or Reflexive action, including throughout the scene of the confrontation. Each use of this Facet will only affect a single preparation or defence and a target can only be under a single effect at a given time, so if the prey is making several such efforts, the Storyteller will pick the most significant or meaningful of those judging on what will actually prevent the Uratha from achieving their goals. Out Of Time does not affect inherent capabilities such as shapeshifting, or defensive measures already taken before the Facet is used.
                      Exceptional Success: As well as failing to prepare a particular defence or effort in time, the prey is also struck with the Paranoid Condition.

​Split Second (Wisdom)
                      With the flesh of time itself caught between her jaws, the Uratha reacts to threats before they are even made real.
                      Cost: None
                      Duration: Permanent
                      ​The Uratha adds her Wisdom Renown to dice pools to avoid being surprised. Additionally, she can make such rolls against any threat that would surprise her, regardless of the impossibility of her being aware of it before it happens, and can thus take reflexive actions such as spending Willpower to increase a resistance traits, etc, before the threat manifests if she is successful. The originators of such threats still use Dexterity + Stealth in their dice pool to establish surprise for the threat, regardless of whether they are taking a direct physical approach - a sniper on a building over a mile away, an occultist in an unseen sanctum and an IT admin remotely triggering a security device, all use the same dice pool as a man with a knife trying to sneak up on the Uratha would.
                      ​Should the Uratha achieve an exceptional success on her dice pool to avoid being surprised, she instead surprises the source of the threat, adding an entire surprise turn just for her (and any other Uratha with this Facet and exceptional successes on the same role) before regular turns begin for other characters.

- Chris Allen, Freelance Writer: Forsaken & Awakening 2nd Edition / The Pack / Dark Eras 1 & 2 / The Contagion Chronicle / Idigam Anthology / Night Horrors: Nameless & Accursed and Shunned by the Moon / Trinity Aeon / Aeon Aexpansion / And more besides...

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

Acrozatarim
                        You managed to turn the time theme into werewol horror element,
                        <3 I admire you. <3

Comment

That's a very Werewolf take of "time magic"- not god like ability to manipulate and twist time as if it was arcane process, but a very primal and down to earth version of it- slowing the enemy, making them linger with their actions, messing up with their perception of time. I really do like it. Good job

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Amazing,Chris! Seriously good stuff!

Comment

Pre-Dawn practice. While definitely rough, I think this is definitely a good take on the idea, and it's hella-functional and playable.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
                              Work Blog Coming Soon
                              The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                              Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

Fascinating.

At a glance, it seems only the Glory Facet deals with physical time, and the others with conceptual time. Fitting since Glory Facets in general are often the most blatant, and the Purity Facet implies that the spirit of the Gift lies in hamstringing the prey.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Working...
                                X