​Shadows Of Things To Come-Fate, Spirits, and the Uratha

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ​Shadows Of Things To Come-Fate, Spirits, and the Uratha

So, we know that fate has some bearing on the Uratha and the world of the Shadow-look at the Cahalith's main MO-but what the concept is and how it works within their sense of metaphysics is somewhat vague beyond it being considered, for the most part immutable. Is it a matter of great tides of Resonance? Could you have a spirit of misfortune? If a Cahalith-or any kind of thing from this side of the world, be they a shartha or an idigam or a werewolf-wanted to try and change fate, texturally, in the way that a changeling or a mage might in their respective metaphysics, could they? How would they go about it?

Basically, how do the denizens of Forsaken's corner of the world understand, approach, and try to manipulate fate?

PS: Freely admit I might just be daft and not properly remembering my Werewolf right now.

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
    Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.
    Currently Working On: The Noble and the Sovereign, Blog

I’d say that creatures of the Shadow perceive fates as, like you said, tides and waves of Resonance that flow like winds and water. Seeing doom is like seeing a tsunami build up before it strikes the coast. Chance and luck are ever-shifting like the clouds, and to ride it is to float up a kite in the winds.

And besides... wind and water. Guess what “feng shui” literally means.

EDIT: Oh, and let’s add surfing and swimming to how fate manipulation “feels” for the Uratha. Fits with how werewolves are very physical about things, and we can’t waste the image of a werewolf on a surfing board.
    Last edited by 21C Hermit; 01-31-2018, 12:55 AM.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's immutable. The Lodge of the Lost is a good example of werewolves dodging their fate. All werewolves who would fight the Great Darkness would be annihilated, 'All divination and fate-foretelling methods were clear on this fact,' yet some survived, and have gone on to recruit others from similar situations (not without cost, or reward, depending on your stance on such things). There's also the various powers scattered across the spirit, like the well of fate fetish, supposedly forged by Luna and Urfarah, which is supposed to allow an Uratha 'to correct a misdeed from the past or remove a doom.'

That said you do have lodges like the Lodges of Death and Prophecy and the Harbingers. The first know their own death, and are made confident by knowing their fate. The Harbingers go around warning people or spurring packs into action. But the prophets go over oracular histories and divinations to dissassemble prophecies. They've come to the conclusion that the future is not set, as everything people do, including knowing the future, will shape things to come. There's a sidebar that gets into 'Can the players change fate?' and leaves it up to the individual troupe.

I think 21C Hermit's got a point, things shift, it's just 'the way' of things, and because they can shift they're not locked in, even if they're very much in tune with it. Cahalith get dreams all the time, and there's so many of them, and visions and divinations aren't limited to the one auspice, there's a simple Gift 'Read the World's Loom' that can let you know about something happening in the future. Then at the risk of getting 'crunchy' if you check out the Cahalith's auspice ability, it can be used to gain a benefit to avoid something or instantly fall into it, which, mechanically, still leaves a vision of something happening up in the air as to whether it will succeed or not.

And yes there's spirits of misfortune. One's likely the patron of the Lodge of Kletby, goes by name of Jinx.
      Last edited by nofather; 01-31-2018, 01:40 AM.

Comment

If we go by the shadow metaphor, what happens when an object has light cast from two (or more) directions at the same time? it gets diffused into several shades. Consider those branching shades to be the possible fates. A Cahalith's blessing basically allows them an snapshot of that picture at a dramatically appropriate time.

Comment

so, my two cents on the subject:

It is pretty clear that there is no single definition of what "fate" may be in the CofD- or, more exactly, it is very likely that is more than one "fate". Now, I'm not talking about "there are many different paths and we choose our own". No, I'm talking about "fate" as a system, a mechanism which dictate how objects move from state A to state B. It is like the way there are many different Quantum Mechanics interpretations- Wavefunction Collapse, Many Worlds, Pilot Wave, etc. Each presents a mechanism which explains how an object interacts with the surroundings, and how it may act under the influence of external forces or without them.

Now, in the real world, we are yet to know which if the known interpretations (if any) is the right one. All of them work, and all of them give the same result to the same problem (as far as we are currently able to confirm in experiment). As such, each scientist kinda choose the one which makes the most sense for them (most accept the Wavefunction Collapse. I personally prefer the Many Worlds, and not out of whim- I actually read the original thesis and found it made a lot of sense, IMO, and I've met a number of professors which support the Pilot Wave interpretation). While there are controversies about the right interpretation, everyone agree that there is only one right interpenetration. If someone would come to them and actually try to suggest that maybe, just maybe, all of the known interpretations are equally true, then the chances are that the scientist in questions would simply sigh, facepalm or roll their eyes (or all three. I would probably do the all three).

However, as strange as it may be, that is the mechanism behind the CofD- there is more than one fate, or at least, that's how it seems. Each splat has its own, separate system of magic, and behind each such system acts a different mechanism which produce an whole different kind of physics. Vitae mechanics may interact with Essence mechanics, but the two mechanics are, by themselves, separate from each other. There may exist a "unified field theory" which creates a single system for all the different supernatural dimensions, but if so, it is worth to mention we are yet to describe such unification in our world, and we do not need to deal with 10 (and counting) different, unrelated forms of magic. And each such mechanism, each such process which described how a object which obeys the principles of a certain mechanics goes from point A to point B- well, that's just another fate.

Why am I bothering to tell you all of this? Well, it's simple- if "fate" is "simply" the mechanism which provides how object moves from point A to point B through a certain supernatural dimension, than in order to understand how a certain fate works, we need to understand the principles of the dimension it works upon. Vampires, for example, have their fate, as it is described through the eyes of the strix and words of dhampirs. Mages have their own, both in the form of their looming destiny and the symbols of Fate in the Supernal. Changelings make pacts with fate, which mummies watch the cold stars and listen to the words of madness, and even prometheans watch the fires of Elpis for a vision of where their Pilgrimage leads to. Each of those fates, however, interacts differently, for the physics they work upon is different- for vampires, fate is Doom, which is generated from the wicked heart and inner darkness. For mages, it is probability- the unseen force which makes Time a part of heaven, as much as Time makes Fate a part of earth. For changelings, it is a story- it is the power which binds connections, ideas and imagination to each other. For mummy, it is an eternal, constant entity, the blueprints of the worlds which were written in the world's creation, and dictate everything until its bitter end. For the Created- it is hope, pure and simple, the principle that the world may be improved, may be changed, and in the end of every night there is a new dawn.

And what about Werewolves?

Essence is, at its bases, a level of the object's "Existence". As such, Hisil's fate should dictate how the level of Existence of the object moves, changes and evolves through time. We all know that Essence resonates with the physical world, and as such is able to influence it- and the physical world does the same upon it. As such, the mechanism of resonance should indeed be a part of the way the fate of the Shadow works. While it is a bit tempting to examine the way the Cahalith receive their vision in order to better understand the mechanism of "Shadow Fate", I would suggest a different path, and that we should instead examine a different kind of phenomena- that is, bans and banes.

Think about is for a second- what is actually a ban? What is a bane? What has assigned those strange properties upon the denizens of the Shadow? Those are, in fact, expressions of the spirit's fate- how it is allowed to interact, and what is destined to destroy it. It is a part of how their Existence express itself, a mechanism which dictate what they are allowed to do, and not allowed to do. Sure, werewolves have it easier- but their are only half spirits, and as such their physics is much, much more complex than that of a pure ephemera. The fate of the spirit is decided the moment they are born- but it also evolves and change as they rise in Rank and establish their existence better upon the world. The more important is the spirit's existence, the more refined is its fate becomes. As the nature of the spirit becomes more dominant, its resonance frequency becomes more and more accurate- it is no longer a wide spectrum which resonant with any tree, but it is a very narrow range of frequencies which resonant only with an oak tree which grows on Irish land. As such, Resonance is not the fate of the Shadow- it is how that fate comes to be.

So what is the "Shadow Fate"? It is not pre-chosen, of course. It evolves and changes, rise and falls with the Essence it governs. Small things don't have important fates, for they simply don't have enough existence to influence the Shadow. Important things do. The Cahalith reads fate by "sniffing" those important factors, recognize the way they start stir the Essence of Hisil and the future path through the item must go through in order to move from point A to B. The Shadow Fate is not something elusive or hidden, it doesn't express some hidden agenda or has some sort of endgame. It is a primal, brutal power, where the strong forms the trail, and others follow. The Uratha have only two choices- either to diminish the importance of the subject in question, or become important enough to force Fate to follow their trail. That's the law of Hisil- the strong eats the weak, and why would you think that the why its Fate would work would be any different? After all, Gaea herself may have devoured the fate of an whole planet. Why? Because she was more important than Theia, and as such she had to devour her. That's what fate has decreed, and as such Theia had to obey.

That's the fate of the Shadow- violent, cannibalistic, primal and brutal.

I think I like it that way.

tl.dr- yes, Resonance is a good way to follow the path of the Shadow's fate, but is only the expression of the phenomenon, not the mechanism itself.

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Working...
          X