No announcement yet.

And A Trophy Made From My Enemies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She has to fight for the time she has free from the Spinner Hag's overwhelming drive. Every day is precious. Each fake life is built as a researcher or academic with as much access as she can get not just to the laboratories and equipment of cutting edge establishments, but to the people thereof and their minds. She treasures them, treats them like precious jewels to be turned and tilted in the light of discovery so that she can see what marvellous shapes shine out of their facets. Sometimes, she becomes entranced, and falls in love with them. She's looking for the parts of reality where humans have found those vibrating threads that weave through the universe and learned how to pluck at them - string theory, quantum mechanics, artificial intelligence, even weirder areas of inquiry. She's analysing her origins not as a myth made real but as something more akin to a computer program - a spiritual encoding that forces certain behaviours in the copies of the Spinner Hag's data fragments. She'll harness the ingenuity of beautiful, mad, wonderful humankind, and she'll fucking well cut herself free from the Spinner Hag's binding thread. And then she'll be free to be whatever she wants to be, just her, at last.
    Chris, this is why I love your vision for Werewolf. You keep finding ways to encode science and reality into the mythical and symbolic. It is utterly gorgeous and fascinating.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD- Dark Eras 2; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

See, my theory about the number imagery for Pangaeans is its about orders of magnitude. We have two example Pangaeans whose Ranks are known. Harvest is Rank 4 and uses a pattern with a magnitude of 101 (IE. 44). Fox is a Rank 5 Pangaean that uses a pattern with a magnitude of 102 (IE. 333). Centipede we don't have stats for, but they use the number 33 as their pattern number, which if the above holds would suggest they are Rank 4.

Hypothetically, a Rank 3 Pangaean has a pattern with a magnitude of 100 (IE. Any whole number from 1-9), while a Rank 6 Pangaean would have a pattern with a magnitude of 103 (IE. Any four-digit number where each individual numeral is the same). If that pattern holds, then Spider is Rank 6, which seems kind of low for the Spinner Hag but still makes it possible for them to actually put up something resembling a fight against Wolf.

I think Fox uses three as their number as a lot of their special powers are about wisdom and insight, and their Wisdom Influence has a rating of three. And I'm pretty sure that Harvest uses four either because their Hunger Influence has a rating of four, or because the parts of the world where Harvest would primarily be relevant have four seasons. And I'm definitely sure that Spider uses the number eight because Spider is Spider.

My Homebrew Hub

Comment

Originally posted by Arcanist View Post
        And I'm definitely sure that Spider uses the number eight because Spider is Spider.
        I was thinking that, but didn't see how Harvest and Fox would fit in before your post. Though Spider (or, at least, Ariadne) isn't really complete, and we are not seeing them in their entirety so maybe that's counting for the Rank 6 (or it could be spot on).

The ranks are a cool catch.
        Last edited by nofather; 02-28-2018, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcanist View Post

Close, but not quite. Arachne (hence, arachnid, arachnaphobia, etc.) is cursed by Athena into becoming a spider for making impious images in a weaving contest with the goddess. Ariadne is the daughter of Minos, king of Crete, who leads Theseus to her brother Asterion, the Minotaur, out of a massive crush and escapes with him until he abandons her on the island of Naxos, where she is then made into the divine wife of Dionysius (if she wasn't reframed as a Cretan princess after a stint as a pre-Mycenaean goddess). This is presumably where her compulsion to find the person most likely to love and hurt her comes from. Ariadne means "utterly pure", and she is the Mistress of the Labyrinth.
          Oops.

See, that’s what I get for letting my brain run on caffeine.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Well, I definitely didn't see that coming. Poor Ariadne..

That's definitely a beautiful piece, both tragic and wonderful. Seriously, I can't make myself think of her as an antagonist- I just want her to achieve her dream, and become independent from the Hag's terrible instincts and attempts for rebirth- which actually, makes a lot of sense. Ariadne is not the antagonist- it is the Spinner Hag, which Ariadne hates and fears like any other sane being. If there is a way for her to escape (other than death), I really want her to find it out (and if one could also get the said trophy from the Hag's defeat, it would also be great :P).

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

In my game Ariadne will likely succeed in her endeavor to be divorced of the hideous essence of the Spinner Hag... but it's essence will coalesce into another avatar that's not quite capable of being contained by another, more humane consciousness.

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

I'm tempted to come up with a cross-splat group whose goal is to help her and others in the same situation. Spiting in the Eyes of Demon-God and Fate alike.

Acrozatarim can you create a thread that has links to (the start of) all 12 days of material? Or just copy the content posts? To condense all the goodness in one easy-to-reference place. I (or another) can, if you'd prefer.
                ​Someone's been condensing the material together into one document, I believe, but I'm not sure what their username is!

​I figure it'd be nice to eventually have a new thread with that document linked to, for ease of reference.

- Chris Allen, Freelance Writer: Forsaken & Awakening 2nd Edition / The Pack / Dark Eras 1 & 2 / The Contagion Chronicle / Idigam Anthology / Night Horrors: Nameless & Accursed and Shunned by the Moon / Trinity Aeon / Aeon Aexpansion / And more besides...

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by Acrozatarim View Post

​Someone's been condensing the material together into one document, I believe, but I'm not sure what their username is!

​I figure it'd be nice to eventually have a new thread with that document linked to, for ease of reference.
                  I think I said I may try to pull it together once all is said and done so that I can link to it in the forthcoming Werewolf Resource thread. I don't know if anyone else has mentioned doing something similar.

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
                    I think I said I may try to pull it together once all is said and done so that I can link to it in the forthcoming Werewolf Resource thread. I don't know if anyone else has mentioned doing something similar.
                    ​There's someone on the discord channel who has been collating it and doing the word count etc.

- Chris Allen, Freelance Writer: Forsaken & Awakening 2nd Edition / The Pack / Dark Eras 1 & 2 / The Contagion Chronicle / Idigam Anthology / Night Horrors: Nameless & Accursed and Shunned by the Moon / Trinity Aeon / Aeon Aexpansion / And more besides...

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by Acrozatarim View Post

I have all your "optional" material in one big word document (with correct capital/bold letters), I am including the Pagaeans (Fox and Harvest), The Fall of Fenris, the stats of Lycaeon-Ur, and the 12 days threads. Does anyone want this to edit further?

Comment

Originally posted by lbeaumanior View Post

I have all your "optional" material in one big word document (with correct capital/bold letters), I am including the Pagaeans (Fox and Harvest), The Fall of Fenris, the stats of Lycaeon-Ur, and the 12 days threads. Does anyone want this to edit further?
                        Do you have a link to it?

Acrozatarim could you add such a link to your signature, like others have done with their material? Makes it easy to find by author.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                        Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by lbeaumanior View Post

Any chance they are all in a google doc that everyone can see?

Comment

Right, I know I promised the last bits of material for this thread tonight, but I am knackered after a commitment went overtime and now just need to relax then sleep. Will get it sorted tomorrow - sorry for the delay.

Comment

Right, have popped the E entry for the human mastermind and her trophy up on Patreon, and here's the trophy from Ariadne. Sorry about the delay!

​And with this, the Twelve Days series is officially over!

Trophy: Hagstone
                              There’s rarely much to take as a trophy from the site of a Host’s defeat. All that an Uratha is let with is a carpet of vermin, a twitching mass of dying life. Handfuls of burned insects or crushed rodents are hardly an exciting prize, although werewolves don't look down on seemingly lowly trophies such as rat-skull necklaces or fetish-bags of spider husks - the People appreciate the threat that such a trinket shows the defeat of, after all. Still, for once, there's something else here.

​The largest of the spiders that spilled forth is bloated and misshapen even for an Azlu shard. Its body is clearly distended from within and, like an overripe fruit, the arachnid is now splitting apart. Its carapace cracks and its meat sours, sloughing away from something nestling inside - a gnarled bezoar of stone or bone, a lumpen gobbet of coalesced, sickening power.

​The hagstone thrums with ancient strength. Malformed, not just incomplete but incoherent, its touch stings with a stomach-churning loathing for the Uratha - an inchoate emotion that's not even attached to any sort of true mind. It's an idiot hatred, a blind spite. The energy stirs at the touch of a werewolf's Essence nonetheless. Its ancestral rage does not prevent an Uratha from harnessing it.

​If the hagstone is set as a weight in a device for weaving or creating threads, it grants all Craft rolls with the device the rote quality, but sometimes the device will also spontaneously produce a venomous spider, or weave spider patterns into the fabric, or catch small animals in its weave that will perish and stain the threads with their fluids. Used in a rite of Shadowcall to conjure up a spider spirit, the hagstone offers the rote action ​and 8-again quality on the ritemaster's dice pool, but when they first open their mouth, or are cut, after the summoning completes, spiders will spill out instead of words or blood. Wield the hagstone when levying Facets against the Azlu, and the possessor benefits from the 8-again quality, but will dream deeply of spiders the following night, and all Azlu within a mile will dream of the Uratha and her life.

Swallow the hagstone, let it sink into the gut and the churning cauldron of Essence within the Uratha, and it fuses their soul with Ariadne's own spark of Pangaea. The Uratha gains Ariadne's abilities to read and tamper with fateful connections and to read the doom of others; whenever they take the Gauru form, they take on certain unsettling arachnid features and become able to Spider Climb as per the Dread Power; and their Primal Urge rises by 1. However the hagstone slowly poisons their very being. Each year, it removes the 10-again quality from another Allies or Contacts merit, or strips away a Touchstone. If the Uratha has none of these left to be affected, they are rendered Soulless, their fundamental nature leeched away into the stone. If they perish with the hagstone still in their gut, their body comes apart in a tidal wave of spiders, leaving nothing but bones and skin behind. The hagstone can​ be removed within a year, taking all its benefits with it, but doing so rips out all of the Uratha's Essence and deals 5 aggravated damage in the process. After being in the body for over a year, it is no longer possible to remove the hagstone without killing the Uratha.

Finally, the one who possesses the hagstone, whether swallowed or not, has a subconscious ability and compulsion to sense and seek out the human, Wolf-Blooded or Host within 8888 miles of their position who will fall most deeply in love with them, then hurt them. Should they fall in love - if they already are in love - then sometimes, in the glint of a mirror, the reflection of a window, the chiaroscuro of passing shadows in the sunlight, they will see her for a moment, just a passing glimpse, a fanciful impression: Ariadne, waiting forever, alone on an empty shore.

Comment

Poor Ariadne. In death she’s free, but still alone.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Working...
                                X