No announcement yet.

Forsaken February - Heralds of the Firstborn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The small tidbits of Dire Wolf’s personality and being in the writeup makes me think of an old man, a sort of some war veteran, who has clearly seen his better days and yet burns with fire in his eyes and sinuous strength in his limbs, who projects his self-resentment and lament of loss at the younger generation’s faults. Much richer of a personality than a mindless engine of destruction that I for some reason used to think all he was.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

• Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
      The small tidbits of Dire Wolf’s personality and being in the writeup makes me think of an old man, a sort of some war veteran, who has clearly seen his better days and yet burns with fire in his eyes and sinuous strength in his limbs, who projects his self-resentment and lament of loss at the younger generation’s faults. Much richer of a personality than a mindless engine of destruction that I for some reason used to think all he was.

"Back in my day..."

I'm still waiting for the write-up for Inspiration Wolf.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• A brief one for Black Wolf!

The Custodian
        The nature of the sacred lies at the heart of the Hunter in Darkness experience. What is truly sacred, what is worth bleeding for and dying for, what must be conserved and protected from the world beyond its boundaries—these are the fragments of Father Wolf’s duty that the Meninna shoulder, the perimeter-urges turned towards purity of purpose. Black Wolf inherited that aspect of her progenitor most strongly, and expects its expression in those who would claim to be her followers. Yet she does not simply rely on the lipservice of Uratha; even for a lesser god such as she, there are places where she feels she must lay her own touch, boundaries that she must herself guard to protect the sanctity of what lies within.

The Custodian, then, is a splinter of Black Wolf, a royal avatar turned to this purpose. The Custodian does not normally exist; indeed, until someone intrudes on one of the rare few places that Black Wolf deems worthy, it is nothing more than a possibility, a concept, unresolved in the same manner as Schrodinger’s notorious cat. Yet, as soon as the interloper sets foot past the limits that must be maintained, thus is the Custodian present and manifest and, far from the confusion of the freshly-forged, it bears the ancient wiles of a being that has spent eternity preparing for this very moment. The places where the Custodian manifests to prowl and protect are strange in the manner that any selection dictated by a colossally powerful spirit is strange. Black Wolf does not necessarily deem purity and sanctity in the same conceptual categories as mere werewolves; the Custodian almost always appears to protect a location in the Deep Shadow, but these places can be desolate, bleak wastelands as much as lush oases of spiritual harmony and holiness. Some of the places may be the domains where once Black Wolf laired; others are locations of vital spiritual importance in some other way, the resting places of fabled artefacts or the fonts from which a hero might find fresh vigor or purpose. Some are prisons, holding nightmares within; others are brief, temporary things, the momentary expressions of the Shadow’s deep and unfathomable laws that offer an opportunity for the brave and the clever yet must, at the same time, be protected with obstacles. Black Wolf’s avatar often acts in accordance with rules that seem more narrative than anything else; it sometimes emerges to block the way of righteous Hunters in Darkness as they quest for salvation, as if purely born from the notion that they must be resisted, that their transgression across a boundary must be opposed, so that they can be tested and proven virtuous—and thus worthy of the sacred that lies beyond.

The Custodian is huge, yet relatively simple in appearance—a great, shadow-furred wolf that seems more like a photo-negative than anything else, its edges limned with brightness and its eyes purest white. Despite the fluorescing iridescence and considerable size of its form, the Custodian can fold itself away in the darkness to become near-undetectable, treads without a sound, and can hide its bulk behind the least pebble in a barren field. It prefers to watch, wait, and assess intruders, acting once it is ready to block their path and drive them back—if that’s the appropriate measure. For some, however, the Custodian acts more like a testing sphinx, a trial-keeper and challenger, particularly where werewolves would seem to enter far, sacred recesses of the Deep Shadow far from the shallow currents of the Shadow and the flitting existence of the Flesh. The Custodian offers little malice, but will fight ferociously against genuinely profane interlopers, and takes quiet, vital glee in the pumping excitement and frenetic physicality of a battle.

The Custodian
        Rank 5 Royal Avatar of Black Wolf

Power 13 Finesse 15 Resistance 15

Willpower 10 Essence 50

Initiative 30 Defence 13

Speed 38 Size 15 Corpus 30

Influences: Protection 5, Wolves 2

Manifestations: Discorporate, Gauntlet Breach, Materialize, Reaching, Shadow Gateway, Twilight Form

Numina: Awe, Drain, Emotional Aura, Guardian’s Trial, Hidden Guardian, Purity Scourge, Regenerate, Speed, Watcher

Ban: The Custodian cannot interfere with the progress of any character who has successfully passed its Guardian’s Trial, suffering a -5 penalty to all attributes for the duration of any attempt to halt such characters.

Bane: The bones of a Bale Hound [REDACTED TIL SHUNNED] of the Maeljin [REDACTED TIL SHUNNED]

New Numina – Guardian’s Trial: Once per scene as a reflexive action, costing 1 Essence per target, the Custodian can place one of the Confused, Cowed, Exhausted, or Paranoid Conditions, and the Shadowlashed Condition, on any number of prey who have intruded into the Custodian’s sacred ground. These Conditions are suspended at first; the Custodian must state a challenge, riddle, puzzle, or other trial that the prey may attempt. Should the prey succeed at the challenge, the Conditions in question are removed; should they fail, or depart the scene without attempting such, the Conditions immediately take effect. Prey can only be subjected to this Numina once each time they intrude on the Custodian’s territory.

New Numina – Hidden Guardian: The Custodian has the rote quality on Stealth rolls, and can hide regardless of intervening cover, concealing itself behind a mote of dust or glimmer of shadow if necessary.

New Numina – Purity Scourge: Any werewolf who enters the Custodian’s presence gains the Pure Condition. A character who suffers a Breaking Point that would take them farther from Harmony 5 if failed while in the Custodian’s presence suffers the Shadowlashed and Guilty Conditions. By spending 1 Essence per target and naming a specific breach of the Oath of the Moon, the Custodian may apply the Demoralized Condition to any prey who has ever committed a breach of that tenet of the Oath.

New Numina – Watcher: The Custodian is perfectly aware of any being that enters the area of sacred ground it protects.

- Chris Allen, Freelance Writer & Developer

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

• I can't help but think of when Black Wolf met Shrike-bloody-beak when I think of this aspect of her

Comment

Working...
          X