No announcement yet.

Forsaken February - Heralds of the Firstborn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Knight is pretty amazing, and I love the depth it adds to a Storm God of Honor by being a proxy of it. Have to say I'm really digging all the fluff pieces that add an air of weirdness and intense mysticism to the game

Comment

Yeah it really took me by surprise but definitely in a good way, it's also nice seeing ways the Firstborn and their avatars interact with their tribes and suggests how others might work.

Comment

A cunning trouble-maker who challenges honor, associated with the cold and the storms? Sounds a lot like Odin.

It’s nice to see the gods of the Shadow not being one-dimensional entities. Which makes sense in retrospect, since high-Rank spirits aren’t usually confined to a single concept.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

I think that that's the best riff on What is Honor that I've seen. Awesome.

I call the Integrity-analogue the "subjective stat".
          An explanation how to use Social Manuevering.
          Guanxi Explanations: 1, 2, 3.

Comment

Another observation; the intro passage about honor being the ability to wield social laws and customs practically and ruthlessly, the old deal-at-the-crossroads motif, the Untraceable and Trickster’s Perspective and Invoke Challenge Numen all endow the Knight with a fae-like aspect. Which further feeds into similarities with Odin, one of the supposed leaders of the Wild Hunt. (And hey, the Hunt? Uratha!)

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Respectfully, looks like someone wanted to write stuff for Sagrim-Ur after all. I mean, think about it, supposed patron of the Lodge of Crows? A spirit who relishes banquets and celebrations on which it manifests? While the lodge's tenets all but discourage even the slight display of their influence in any overt fashion to the point it's virtually unknown outside itself? Why would they even call themselves Crows? Looks like rather than a knight motiff it'd had worked with a clockwork one.

Comment

Nah - as I mentioned before, a patron's already asked me to do a Red Wolf avatar write-up which I'll be posting here too, so any desire I might have to write Sagrim-Ur stuff is already catered for.

​Trying to avoid any overlap with any elements associated with other Firstborn would result in both excessively straightjacketed concepts here, and mean that one couldn't take such an element and throw it in a different light to how it's already used with another Firstborn.

- Chris Allen, Freelance Writer: Forsaken & Awakening 2nd Edition / The Pack / Dark Eras 1 & 2 / The Contagion Chronicle / Idigam Anthology / Night Horrors: Nameless & Accursed and Shunned by the Moon / Trinity Aeon / Aeon Aexpansion / And more besides...

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

I'd rather see it as a manifestation of Honor from Red Wolf than one of Cunning from Winter Wolf. Unreliable narrator style.

Comment

There's definitely nothing stopping you from using it in that way if you want

- Chris Allen, Freelance Writer: Forsaken & Awakening 2nd Edition / The Pack / Dark Eras 1 & 2 / The Contagion Chronicle / Idigam Anthology / Night Horrors: Nameless & Accursed and Shunned by the Moon / Trinity Aeon / Aeon Aexpansion / And more besides...

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

• I must say I really do like the Knight- it being cloaked in armor gives an whole new meaning for "never show your weakness", as it is practically the weakness of Winter Wolf manifested. More of it, it is how Winter Wolf utilize his own weakness as strength, and how he recognize his own limitations and work around them. The Knight is there to make sure that the Storm Lords would separate Honor from Laws, and true devotion from soulless following of the rules. Tradition helps to define honor- but when you put the former over the later, than you sacrifice your life for nothing more than your own, selfish goals. That's when the Knight comes in. Not something I would have thought about Winter Wolf at first glance, but it is a necessary part of his existence when you think about it. Good job

Also, loved the mention of Hisil's version of the "Ascension War" and the mention of the Pax Arcana. I would love to see sometime a post which touch the subject, in one way or another (not a Werewolf version of Imperial Mysteries, of course- but perhaps something which deals with the Old Gods of the Shadow, and how they interact with each other).

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

• Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                        gives an whole new meaning for "never show your weakness", as it is practically the weakness of Winter Wolf manifested. More of it, it is how Winter Wolf utilize his own weakness as strength, and how he recognize his own limitations and work around them.
                        Does it though? It's an irreverent being that challenges you to deviate from pragmatism for it's own amusement. If you accomplish it's challenge it wasn't because you had an inherent weakness which you turned into a strength, it was because you literally decided to take on a handicap to show how much of a badass you are.

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                        The Knight is there to make sure that the Storm Lords would separate Honor from Laws, and true devotion from soulless following of the rules. Tradition helps to define honor- but when you put the former over the later, than you sacrifice your life for nothing more than your own, selfish goals.
                        How is putting tradition above say, one's personal promises selfish when you had no hand in conceiving tradition? Specially when those traditions are concerned with a notion of duty?

Comment

• Originally posted by Malus View Post
                          Does it though? It's an irreverent being that challenges you to deviate from pragmatism for it's own amusement. If you accomplish it's challenge it wasn't because you had an inherent weakness which you turned into a strength, it was because you literally decided to take on a handicap to show how much of a badass you are.
                          It's not 'for its own amusement' it's clearly attempting to make things harder on people. Just like the Storm Lords who expose themselves to extreme temperatures. It's not necessary, but getting out of a linear way of thought is in itself its own strength.

How is putting tradition above say, one's personal promises selfish when you had no hand in conceiving tradition? Specially when those traditions are concerned with a notion of duty?
                          You just touched upon it in your other quote. Locking yourself into tradition doesn't lead to strength, it leads to weakness and linearity. Traditions were created for a specific reason, but one should also know when to put them aside when it's necessary, or even show that you are capable of it. That doesn't mean you take tradition and wipe your ass with it, but you don't let it become an obstacle or limiting burden.

This all fits in with the concept of evasion, too. It's not just avoiding physical dangers.
                          Last edited by nofather; 03-08-2018, 11:30 PM.

Comment

• I don't know. The Hunt's only rules are the bans imparted by totem, your own Harmony and the Oath. It's far easier to do as you please than constrain yourself over those regulations and balances.

True Evasion in my book is doing what's required in every underhanded fashion, even if it clashes with tradition without getting caught for it, and without having your praise sung.

Comment

• Originally posted by Malus View Post
                              I don't know. The Hunt's only rules are the bans imparted by totem, your own Harmony and the Oath. It's far easier to do as you please than constrain yourself over those regulations and balances.
                              On its own, but it's entirely possible a werewolf has their own codes or methods. Like one of the examples was not using your powerful fetish weapon in a fight against a Pure champion, or turn the mad spirits against each other rather than just slaying them outright. These methods would, for most, be harder but likely expand your 'toolbox,' letting you keep in mind that you have other options and don't have to confine yourself to the usual method.

True Evasion in my book is doing what's required in every underhanded fashion, even if it clashes with tradition without getting caught for it, and without having your praise sung.
                              While it does mention celebration that seems to be only when a Storm Lord hits Cunning 5. The rest seems like it could be kept as quiet and personal as possible, especially considering for a Rank 5 spirit it's notoriously hard to keep an eye out for. As a member of his tribe, Winter Wolf likely already knows what you're doing, but it doesn't seem like you or the Knight are under any obligation to make a big deal of it, if it deals with you one on one. It seems like the Knight is likely to appear to an individual as it is to a pack or a great gathering.

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post
                                On its own, but it's entirely possible a werewolf has their own codes or methods. Like one of the examples was not using your powerful fetish weapon in a fight against a Pure champion, or turn the mad spirits against each other rather than just slaying them outright. These methods would, for most, be harder but likely expand your 'toolbox,' letting you keep in mind that you have other options and don't have to confine yourself to the usual method.
                                Risking your neck unduly with methods that aren't proved, honed and tested doesn't strikes me as either Cunning or Wise.

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                                While it does mention celebration that seems to be only when a Storm Lord hits Cunning 5. The rest seems like it could be kept as quiet and personal as possible, especially considering for a Rank 5 spirit it's notoriously hard to keep an eye out for. As a member of his tribe, Winter Wolf likely already knows what you're doing, but it doesn't seem like you or the Knight are under any obligation to make a big deal of it, if it deals with you one on one. It seems like the Knight is likely to appear to an individual as it is to a pack or a great gathering.
                                Sure, spirits will see and notice their area of influence, but given those would encourage the behavior, they're probably banned from divulging it on the first place. I mean society at large.

Comment

Working...
                                X