Of Firstborns Less Told [Brainstorming]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of Firstborns Less Told [Brainstorming]

Everyone know the names of Father Wolf's greatest children, as each of them acts as a patron of one of the People's Tribes- Destroyer Wolf, Death Wolf, Black Wolf, Red Wolf and Winter Wolf; Rabid Wolf, Silver Wolf and Dire Wolf. Five on the side of the Forsaken, three on the side of the Pure, eight overall. However, what most of the modern Uratha don't know is that those Firstborn, while being the greatest, were not the only ones. Other Firstborn have lurked the wilderness of Pangaea in the ancient days, hunting either alongside their siblings or on their own. With the fall of the Predator Paradise, some of those Firstborn have fallen to sleep. Others have died, just like their Father. Others have found solace in the furthermost reaches of Hisil or other realms unknown, and few have suffered from even stranger, weirder fates. This thread is for those Firstborn, both lost and found, so their story could be told- and by telling their story, they would become true.

In short, in here I'm going to list all of the "bastard children" of Father Wolf which have not established a Tribe of their own, and some thoughts about what such tribe would be. Adding new, homebrew Firstborn is more than welcomed, and feel free to add your thoughts about the subject :P

Soulless Wolf- the most famous of the "unknown Firstborn", Viruhk- Ur is the secret shame of the family. While there are many versions for his existence, I personally prefer the "fallen Firstborn" version, with him serving as the power which units the many Maeljin cults and lodges of the Bale Hounds together. Being a Firstborn who fell to Inferno's clutches, he is undoubtedly one of the most dangerous spirit lords out there. Perhaps once his chosen prey were demons, and like any other Firstborn, he adjusted himself to be more like his prey to hunt them better.. until he took one step too far, and fell to the abyss from which he can no longer be reclaimed (like what may have happened if Black Wolf would have shattered her Omphalos Stone). Or maybe, it is just a trick- maybe Soulless Wolf is still loyal to his hunt, and he simply works to feel the Maeljin themselves- he seemingly support their cause, yet behind the scenes work to downplay the influence of the Bale Hounds and teaches under cover the secrets of the Wounds for potential demon hunters. It takes a demon to fight a demon, after all- and one day, when Virukh- Ur's true Tribe would rise among the ranks of the Bale Hounds, the Asah Gadar would be shattered for once and for all.

Watcher Wolf- being presented in the Rage, Udzhalla- Ur is presented as a potential totem of the "secret police" Tribe (the Tower Hounds). While some parts may be adjusted (as the Blood Talons cover some bits of the concept), she could undoubtedly still be around. For some reason, it feels more naturally in my eyes for her and her Tribe to side with the Pure than with the Forsaken, as their Sacred Hunt feels to be focused less around a certain breed and more ideologically bent, like the Fire Touched target lairs and the Ivory Claws hunt for those of tainted lineage (I think?).

Growling Wolf- another of the optional Tribe patrons, Ramammu- Ur patrons a Tribe of diplomats called the Speakers of the Vine. In general, the Firstborn feels like the one who would prefer to not choose sides, as he tries to negotiate between them. I kinda wonder about what prey he may have, as once more he feels more focused around a concept than a supernatural breed- a political hunt of some kind. Perhaps his prey is "kings", or something of that concept? You know, leaders of some kind, something which would focus around a political hunt.

Ravening Wolf- being introduced in the Pack, Isim- Ur was dead for a long, long, long, loooooooong time, before she was revived in the wilds of Mongolia. Under her guidance, the Eaters of the Dead were established, and it has started to hunt her ancient prey- the dead, and the undead. As she returns to her former strength, the Lodge may become a Tribe, and the chances are the Forsaken would gladly accept her help (even if the Iron Masters would frown a little bit, as currently vampires are under their Hunt).

Eater of Names- a mystery wrapped in enigma, the Eater of Names has been introduced in the Sundered World, and has drawn more and more attention since then. Focused around mages and other occultists as her favored prey, she has been mentioned by our dear old Chris Allen more than once. She may be active in Hong Kong, if to believe the title of Chris's actual play, and may be responsible to the mysterious force which devours the Change of young Uratha (I think, I need to check the original thread). She also seems to have some symbiotic relationship with Death Wolf- for as the one search for wisdom, the other devours it.

Sky Hunter- nothing more than a sentence, Sky Hunter is mentioned as one of the greatest hunters of the Firstborn, just next to Dire Wolf and Destroyer Wolf. Heck, they are described as being "terrible" in that sentence. That makes me think that Sky Hunter may be truly a terrifying sight to behold, a monster capable of mass destruction like the other two. As a "Sky Hunter", I assume that they focus their efforts around flying monsters of some kind, perhaps with things like the Distant Ones, or maybe anyone who dares to cross the heavens, no matter if it comes from above or bellow. From planes and aircraft to invading spirits from the Outer Space, Sky Hunter attacks anything which dares to cross the firmament. With its "windy" elemental nature, they may be a good patrons to the Savage Priests suggested in the Rage, even if they'll need some rework to different them from the Fire Touched.

Whisperer Wolf- or Wolf Who Whispers, is another lesser known member of the Firstborn from Dark Eras. There is nothing told about them other than the fact that they aren't really famous and are of limited nature, such as Black Wolf. Sure, Mother Wolf may be an important figure now, but apparently the Hosts were not seen as much of a threat back than, and the Sacred Places didn't need a lot of protection. As having "whispers" as a theme, I wonder if they could perhaps be better totems for the Savage Priests, as they do seem to have some mystical nature. With Death Wolf focusing around the spirit worlds, and the Eater of Names being based around mages, I wonder what niche would Whisperer have- perhaps she could be focused around the God Machine and its angels, as she works against the heaven presented by the Machine's cold logic?

Opalescent- one part of the Twins, they are mentioned to rise "whole clans" of man and wolf in the name of Warden Moon. While they are undoubtedly connected to Luna much more than the rest of the Uratha, I wonder what kind of prey they could have. Perhaps as they serve as "those enlightened by another", they would hunt for sources of light? Celestial spirits, perhaps? I do tend to lean them toward being Artemis as their twin is Apollo, I think that Black Wolf has already the "virgin huntress" theme going for her. Perhaps, on the other hand, we have already met Opalescent. After all, there is already one silver coated Wolf among the Firstborn, and while he has a different name, it is not uncommon for the Firstborn to change their name with a change of their nature (such as Seeking Wolf becoming Death Wolf, or Creation Wolf turning into Rabid Wolf).

Incandescent- the other twin, Incandescent is to the sun what Opalescent is to the moon. Considering we are talking about a sun-aligned, golden wolf, we already have such a spirit lord in the canon, one who is actually said to serve as the totem of a Lodge which claims neutrality between the Forsaken and the Pure, and that has an Omphalos Stone- Apollo the Sun Wolf. Again, a change of name means a change of nature, and as it seems Sun Wolf may have truly changed through the years, after he was banished to the reaches of the sun for being more of a Void spirit than anything else. While Incandescent seems much friendlier than Apollo, who knows why the Firstborn was banished in the first place, and how the fall of Pangaea has influenced him?

Well, that's what I got for now. I may think about a few homebrew Firstborn later. Feel free to detail your thoughts about the subject :P

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

There's also Secondborn, the offspring of Urfarah's Firstborn. Unlike them, Secondborn could arise at any time, and a conflict like a titanomachie seems fitting. What sort of thing could spring from Fenris or Kamduis-Ur? Or even Husuruth-Ur?

Comment

What book are the second born from?

Comment

They're mentioned in The Rage: Forsaken's Player Guide (1e)

Comment

They're also in some other books, Garm is probably the most well-known Secondborn. But there's also Ankakumikaityn the Nomad Wolf, child of Dire Wolf, who is the totem of the lodge of swords.

Lodges the Faithful gets into it, and how some powerful spirits might lie about being Secondborn. In the book there's a likely example, as the Lodge of the Feast, a Bale Hound Lodge, has a 'Ravening Wolf' as a totem that is theorized by some to be an aspect of Baalphegor, the King of Gluttony.

Regarding the Firstborn, I imagine there's some water-based one to match the Sky Hunter.

Comment

Heh, The Salty Sea Dog

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post

Regarding the Firstborn, I imagine there's some water-based one to match the Sky Hunter.
              Something in the style of the "Wave Rider" (that is, a Firstborn focused around the upper level of the sea, like storms and beaches), or "Darkness Beneath the Waves" (which cares more for the horrors in the depths of the ocean)? I assume that both versions could be combined into one, as Sea and her spawn was one of the greatest threats of the Pangaean world, and it would make a Tribe of sailors and explorers which guard against the horrors that hide in the depths of the abyss? (no, not that Abyss.. I think).

Also, some thoughts about homebrew Firstborn-

- a Firstborn focused around hunting ancient artifacts of old, which would probably put it at odds with the Arisen, Sin Eaters, the AKD and other people with strong attachment for their objects. "Collector Wolf" sounds a bit awkward, but I think that "Buried Wolf" sounds cool.

- Dream Wolf, which hunts after beings from the Astral, and perhaps even horrors of the Primordial Dream.

- a Firstborn which hunts for other shapeshifters, such as the Baal Hadad or the Changing Breeds. I think that "Wearer of Skins" could be a nice name for it.

- Hedge Wolf, which search for anything fey, may be nice (no, I'm not calling them "Big Bad Wolf").

- a Firstborn which hunts after abyssal entities (unless it would fall into Wave Rider's alley)

- Inspiration Wolf, of course! They hunt after the best ideas and bring them to to writers who they deem worthy :P

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                - Hedge Wolf, which search for anything fey, may be nice (no, I'm not calling them "Big Bad Wolf").
                If we're talking about missed opportunities, the go-to name for a Changeling-crossover Firstborn would be Briar Wolf.

Resident Lore-Hound
                Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                  If we're talking about missed opportunities, the go-to name for a Changeling-crossover Firstborn would be Briar Wolf.
                  What about Br'er Wolf?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                  Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                    - a Firstborn focused around hunting ancient artifacts of old, which would probably put it at odds with the Arisen, Sin Eaters, the AKD and other people with strong attachment for their objects. "Collector Wolf" sounds a bit awkward, but I think that "Buried Wolf" sounds cool.
                    Glitter Wolf? The Taker of Things? Might be able to tie this into the Maeljin of Greed or Envy.

- a Firstborn which hunts for other shapeshifters, such as the Baal Hadad or the Changing Breeds. I think that "Wearer of Skins" could be a nice name for it.
                    This might actually work as a second edition version of Scavenger Wolf, from Skinchangers. It might even be the progenitor of skinchangers, having been a Pangaean Firstborn that became a human to avoid the fate of other Pangaeans and, from there, anything else. It could fit more for Envy.

- a Firstborn which hunts after abyssal entities (unless it would fall into Wave Rider's alley)
                    I believe there's a Dreaming Wolf mentioned in the Australia Hunting Ground but it might fit here too.
                    Last edited by nofather; 03-02-2018, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

What about Br'er Wolf?
                      You and Satchel are precious. Both are delightful and likely alternate names for the same entity. I really can't see how the Firstborn would miss out on Arcadia, even as it would be very strange to them. (Do spirits, even Pangaeans, dream?)

--Khanwulf

Comment

Originally posted by Khanwulf View Post
                        You and Satchel are precious. Both are delightful and likely alternate names for the same entity. I really can't see how the Firstborn would miss out on Arcadia, even as it would be very strange to them. (Do spirits, even Pangaeans, dream?)
                        Pangaeans can meditate themselves into the Temenos and Anima Mundi. And there's a lot of spirits associated with dreams, like the Omen Grinder and Luna herself, who shares them with the Cahalith. We even had some simple Dream Manipulation mechanics in first edition.

That said, if something exists, or even doesn't exist, there's likely something that can hunt it. One can wake from any dream, and every story has an Ending, after all. I've been leaning towards considering the True Fae as a host, if only due to their mention of being a stereotype in the Hunters in Darkness section, perhaps from some original Dream or Tale.

Comment

How are they like hosts

Comment

They are smaller parts of a larger whole, take each others titles, parasitize aspects of the world while also having effect on a Gauntlet equivalent, with the Hedge.

Comment

Don’t forget they can spread and effect changing. Also werewolves hunting true fae that would be a interesting story

Comment

Working...
                              X