A dark eras beast/werewolf in the 1200s eastern steppes chingis khan era

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A dark eras beast/werewolf in the 1200s eastern steppes chingis khan era

I was watching a video series about Temüjin and I think it fits into the themes, also mongol werewolves seems to be a cool concept

Eh, I prefer Mongols as a Geist era for a variety of reasons, but Werewolf/Beast would work.

Freelancer - Dark Eras 2
    He/His Pronouns
    CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
      Eh, I prefer Mongols as a Geist era for a variety of reasons, but Werewolf/Beast would work.
      Why is that ?ps Mongolian werewolves are still awesome right

Comment

The Horde was basically a protectorate, sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Konradleijon View Post
          Why is that ?ps Mongolian werewolves are still awesome right
          Sin-Eaters arise from mass death. The Mongols were so vicious that the Islamic World thought that Chinggis Khan was the return of Gog and Magog. There are arguments that the population of the Middle East didn't recover from the Mongol invasion until modern times. So there will be Sin-Eaters arising in droves in the wake of the Mongol expansion. Then, the Mongol Empire was the first time the Silk Road was united under one ruler. That led to an unprecedented level of cultural exchange between the East and the West, which is very much in tune with Geist's 1e themes.

(Oh and just so we are clear, I'm neither for or against the Mongols. Chinggis Khan was a serial rapist who willingly committed one of the worst genocides in history. He was also a loving husband and father that tried to rule justly and allowed religious freedom in an era where it was unheard of. Chinggis Khan is one of my favourite historical figures and I feel he has an unfairly harsh reputation compared to the likes of Julius Caeser and Alexander the Great... but that's because we lionize the Western generals and treat their atrocities generously. Perhaps we need to recognize that many of our historic "heroes" are actually not heroic.)

But like I said, nothing is wrong with pairing the Mongols with Werewolf. I just think Geist has strong themes with the period and is less obvious, thus more interesting.

Freelancer - Dark Eras 2
          He/His Pronouns
          CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
            I think all three have some pretty decent points toward them.

You (in another post) mention why Sin-Eaters fit the period so well. For the Forsaken, I think that the Mongol invasions and conquests would turn the Hisil into a roiling tempest of change and upheaval, as spirits of fear, violence, fire, desperation, honor, pride, excitement, despair and much more are born and engorged by an explosion of Essence as the Horde moves across the land. You're likely to get huge numbers of Forsaken shaken out of their comfort zone, as pack boundaries are rewritten, protectorates are destroyed — or greatly expanded — and everywhere the spirit population grows rapidly. You could have players as local Uratha, standing in the path of the Khan, or perhaps riding alongside his armies. Do they attempt to keep to their charge of policing the boundaries of the Shadow, even as the world is on fire, or do they try to just hang on and survive as everything changes?

For Beasts, it's much more individual, I think. The Primordial Dream is shaped by people's fears, so you're definitely going to get a lot of new nightmares arising from the approach of the Horde and the atrocities left in its wake. (Just the word that they were coming was enough to get many to flee) I do think that the best way to invoke the Begotten in a Chronicle in this era might be to explore how fear and despair have become a part of everyday life for many people, and how that shapes the Dream and its chambers. Do the player characters adapt, taking advantage of this "easy in," even though it might cause the society around them to further crumble (and potentially even dissolve entirely), or do they stick to the old ways, and try to remind the populace that, as bad as things are, there are worse things still out there?

(An interesting Horror for this period might be some sort of monstrous horse; maybe an Anakim that takes the form of a giant equine that tramples everything underfoot and cannot be slowed)

Comment

Wait how whould vampires deal witch steppe life a nomadic life where there aren’t a lot of hides holes in the sun, and my idea was that the PCs were mongols like civilian mongols wife’s of warrior or herders

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                The Horde was basically a protectorate, sure.
                Is that sarcastic?

Comment

Is that sarcastic?
                  No. It's a combined group of packs brought to a united purpose. I'm not big on turning historical figures into supernaturals, but other people don't seem to mind in general. If you did, it's easy to imagine Chinggis (or Attila, or Tamerlane) as a werewolf leading a protectorate.

It's not too different than the Romulan Protectorate in Forsaken by Rome. Just more mobile than sentinel. Not as centrally-oriented.
                  Last edited by nofather; 03-05-2018, 07:02 PM.

Comment

The great khan could be a wolf blood he also claimed to speak to great blue sky and other Mongolian spirts

Comment

Wait how whould vampires deal witch steppe life a nomadic life where there aren’t a lot of hides holes in the sun, and my idea was that the PCs were mongols like civilian mongols wife’s of warrior or herders
                      The nomads also traveled with great wooden carts, pulled by horses or oxen, on which were either placed the disassembled tents (yurta) or fully assembled ones. It would not be hard for vampires to hide among the nomads, just as they follow armies on the march by lurking in the baggage train. (Camp followers are very much not missed, either, when it comes dinnertime.)

I like to imagine that Chinggis was very much aware of the supernatural and used it to good effect. In my headcanon he made pacts with werewolves, mages and vampires at minimum in order to get the best bang for his army and incur the smallest losses on both his own forces and the lands he intended to conquer. The Khan was ruthless and murderous when angry and generous and benevolent at peace--it's a distinction that's pretty common throughout the ancient and medieval world, but what makes him Chinggis notable was his consistency, the longevity of the horde (the largest conquests actually followed during his sons' reigns), and the scale of conquests of course.

He did a lot of damage, but Timur the Lame actually did more: obliterating Bagdad and making a habit of building skull pyramids out of cities that even looked funny at him. He managed raiding as a serious business and didn't bother conquering lands (like Georgia) in order to return and raid again and again.

--Khanwulf

Comment

So skulls for the skull throne! and also Mongolians where are Animism witch is also that I picked werewolf

Comment

Iirc, one of the ideas I mentioned back when there was a thread wondering what new eras could go into a new Dark Eras book was Vampire/Werewolf Mongolia. I still stand by that as a solid pitch.

- Chris Allen, Freelance Writer: Forsaken & Awakening 2nd Edition / The Pack / Dark Eras 1 & 2 / The Contagion Chronicle / Idigam Anthology / Night Horrors: Nameless & Accursed and Shunned by the Moon / Trinity Aeon / Aeon Aexpansion / And more besides...

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

So, OP, you are going to do the Mongolian Uratha invasion of the Vampire Kingdom of Hungary, right? Right?

Comment

Or, the Mongolian Urathra invasion of the Vampire Kingdoms of New England?

Comment

Working...
                              X