Question about 2 similar Dread powers: "Prodigious Leap, and Leap"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about 2 similar Dread powers: "Prodigious Leap, and Leap"

In Chronicles of Darkness corebook, there is a dread power called Prodigious Leap at p.146
    Cost only 1 willpower, wich is fairly easy to gain back, enables you to jump 4 stories straight up, or cross in a single jump a 6 lane Highway. Now... that's a cool power.

In Werewolf the Forsaken second edition corebook, there is the dread power called Leap at p.211
    Cost 1 essence, wich is harder than willpower to gain back, enables you to triple your jumping power...

So... they do not have the same name... and one use a fuel wich is easier to gain back, for a more powerful effect...

Are they both still valid ? Why pick one when you have the other that is more powerful ? Is prodigious leap "legal" in Werewolf the forsaken ? What are your view on this ?

Originally posted by Warriorshaman View Post
    In Chronicles of Darkness corebook, there is a dread power called Prodigious Leap at p.146
    Cost only 1 willpower, wich is fairly easy to gain back, enables you to jump 4 stories straight up, or cross in a single jump a 6 lane Highway. Now... that's a cool power.

In Werewolf the Forsaken second edition corebook, there is the dread power called Leap at p.211
    Cost 1 essence, wich is harder than willpower to gain back, enables you to triple your jumping power...

So... they do not have the same name... and one use a fuel wich is easier to gain back, for a more powerful effect...

Are they both still valid ? Why pick one when you have the other that is more powerful ? Is prodigious leap "legal" in Werewolf the forsaken ? What are your view on this ?
    Spirits (and I think it's fair to say Claimed) only get Willpower back by stealing or gorging upon Essence, and they need to get 3 Essence to get 1 Willpower. They might have the Drain Numen, though, which allows them to steal Essence or Willpower. But generally it's easier for one of these things to use Essence.

Also, Prodigious Leap seems to work for a single leap. While Leap in Werewolf works for a scene.

I'd have Leap for a creature that, naturally, moves in powerful leaps, like a frog-claimed. And Prodigious Leap for something that can, if pushing themselves, make one larger huge leap, like Doomsday or the Hulk. They can work together, or you can have one or the other.

I wouldn't be against putting them together, having Leaping give you your generous scene worth of jumps as well as being able to spend a Willpower to make a larger jump.
    Last edited by nofather; 03-15-2018, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Related question: though I don’t have the book with me now, I remember Mist Form & Air Elemental having a similar problem, and Fire Elemental having different rules. Does anybody have how these work?

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
        Related question: though I don’t have the book with me now, I remember Mist Form & Air Elemental having a similar problem, and Fire Elemental having different rules. Does anybody have how these work?
        Mist Form and Air Elemental are the same thing, but powered differently.

The two fire elemental ones are different as well (one requires powering up and only reduces damage, while the other is constant and grants immunity).

Chronicles was made after Werewolf, and the Horror rules weren't officially a thing when Werewolf came out. Since most creatures with Dread Powers in Werewolf are going to power themselves off of Essence and be made with those rules. Horrors generally don't use Essence, their big power source is Willpower. It really seems like you would just use the Dread Powers in whichever system you're making your Dread Power-equipped monster for, or if you want the most recent one, Chronicles' version. If you're making it a Claimed, though, I'd suggest changing the power source to Essence.

I could be wrong but I don't think we have a 'legality' thing. Presumably if a group decided to start up they could decide which rules to use.
        Last edited by nofather; 03-15-2018, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
          I could be wrong but I don't think we have a 'legality' thing. Presumably if a group decided to start up they could decide which rules to use.
          True. Just wanted to check, though. Good call on different power sources and durations.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Working...
          X