No announcement yet.

How problematic are Pure Tribes Vows?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing I've done in my home brew is to make a mechanic that extends Aspirations to represent common motives within supernatural subgroups in a way that promote play that fits with Canon. In Werewolf this came down to Tribal Ban, Auspice/Pure, and Pack Aspiration. Defining these common desires as Aspirations also have the benefit of giving common understanding of motives, which is applicable in Social Manuevering as any other Aspiration.

Originally posted by Pale_Crusader View Post
    Shared Aspirations
    Each Major Template gain three Aspirations beyond their three Personal Aspirations, for mages these are Arcane Aspirations which is a source of Arcane Beats and thus Arcane Experience, vampires have Requiem Aspirations which is a source of Requiem Beat and thus Requiem Experience, werewolves have Primal Aspirations which are a source of Primal Beats and thus Primal Experience, changelings have Stray Aspirations which are a source of Stray Beats and thus Stray Experience, Sin-Eaters have Ossurary Aspirations which are a source of Ossurary Beats and thus Ossurary Experience. These different aspirations often define the unifying goals of the groups they represent, and/or promote styles of play conducive to maintaining themes and motifs presented in Chronicles of Darkness canon. These Aspirations are by definition implied to already exist in the source material but in Frailty Chronicles we assign mechanical weight to them to reward playing to type and promote play consistent with the canon setting. Also let it be pointed out these are the types of Experiences that are spent on supernatural powers and benefits, which are often the most sought after mechanics to add to characters, so the motivation to play towards canon should be significant. Aspirations that naturally fit character types it promotes play consistent with those character types, and rewards playing towards type, making a more consistent setting. Many role players may want to play a special snowflake, but universal application of that trend is detrimental for a cohesive fiction or internally consistent world

...snip...

Primal Experience is earned from beats gotten from Conditions gain in the Sacred Hunt, and from pursuing Auspice, Tribe and Pack Aspirations

Auspice/Pure Aspiration (Static)
    Irraka: Out-smart and out-maneuver the prey
    Ithaeur: Seek the deeper mysteries about the prey
    Elidoth: Respect the dignity of the prey
    Cahalith: Cause the prey to flee by letting it know that it is hunted
    Rahu: Kill the prey with swift mercy

Pure: Punish the Forsaken for the death of Urfidum

Tribe Aspirations (Static)
    Iron Masters: Respect your territory in all things
    Boneshadow: Repay a spirit for how it has treated you and yours
    Stormlord: Conceal your weakness from friend and foe
    Blood Talons: Bravely stand against foes
    Hunters in the darkness: Defend or avenge a sacred place

Predator King: Achieve all goals without human tools
    Fire Touched: Always challenge falsehood
    Ivory Claws: Treat those of lesser lineage as lesser

Pack Aspiration: This Aspiration is chosen by Pack Consensus, and is gained by the whole pack when earned. This is to promote teamwork and pack mentality.

...snip...
    This means Pure trying to persuade or intimidate other Pure into Punishing the Forsaken or following the Tribal Ban gain the benefits in Opening Doors for pushing in a direction and Aspiration already goes.

Also if you think of these as Aspirations, which is a fair way to thinking of them, then they aren't impossibly harsh.Predator King's don't technically need human made things since they can eat as wolves and make anything they need for themselves. Also since it isn't like a Bane which damages them they merely need to Break towards Spirit in standard Werewolf to recover Balance, like Eating Humans, after they deal with the Breaking Point Condition.... Predator King's that happily eat people?? Sounds like a pre-existing stereotype to me...

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
    "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

So, you've basically gentrified stereotypes in your setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Malus View Post
        So, you've basically gentrified stereotypes in your setting.
        I've made it so playing to type within Canon has actual rewards, encouraging a setting that at least partially resembles canon. I've seen many a game, particularly in large scale LARPs, where players choose their character's group memberships like they are solely a buffet of powers and not actual in world organizations or groups sharing common motivations. I've noticed groups in real life share goals and motives, since motivation is part of what define one group from another. I think giving mechanical consequences of story elements such as the Social Maneuvering taking into account Aspirations that would reflect the in world group's motivations gives the whole setting more 'life'. Besides, who doesn't like additional opportunity for XP, and isn't it all the better if that XP helps explains trends in behavior?

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
        "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

Originally posted by Pale_Crusader View Post

I've made it so playing to type within Canon has actual rewards, encouraging a setting that at least partially resembles canon. I've seen many a game, particularly in large scale LARPs, where players choose their character's group memberships like they are solely a buffet of powers and not actual in world organizations or groups sharing common motivations. I've noticed groups in real life share goals and motives, since motivation is part of what define one group from another. I think giving mechanical consequences of story elements such as the Social Maneuvering taking into account Aspirations that would reflect the in world group's motivations gives the whole setting more 'life'. Besides, who doesn't like additional opportunity for XP, and isn't it all the better if that XP helps explains trends in behavior?
          All of that is an issue with the player, not the game. I don't need Totemic-like aspirations from from my Firstborn, if it captured my loyalty, I'd come up with my own personal aspirations in relation to my tribal patron, expressively based on the uniqueness of my own character. For example: If I had an Elodoth Blood Talon who's prone to leave a trail of crippled, tortured Oath-breakers and Pure, who behaves more like a serial killer would and will inconspicuously kidnap them, how would that even begin to resemble "respecting the dignity of my prey" or "stand bravely against my opponent"? But hey, you do you.

Comment

Working...
          X