Gift of the Serpent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gift of the Serpent

Writing up a Gift for this, sort of hung with Cunning. Was originally going to make it a distracting-weaving movement but now think hypnosis of a sort might fit. Immobilize or just keep the target watching you, utterly oblivious to anything else going on around them, and even how much time has past. Tempted to push it further with actual hypnosis commands but I don't think this would be the place for werewolf dominate to pop up.

Does anyone have any ideas for other facets? I'm heading to bed and thinking about them while I go. I know someone (on discord) said Thermal Vision but I feel like, given the senses we have now, it wouldn't really do much, even if it was a Passive that made it always available. You can already effectively see in the dark, thermal vision seems superfluous. I'dve loved it in first edition (it's in like 3 separate gifts) but something else for this. So far thinking poison, some sort of reaching ability, maybe an initiative jump-ahead thing, 'the serpent strikes!'.Few other ideas scattered around, maybe good with ropes.

If anyone hasn't thought of this stuff there's a nifty guide from one of the writers that gets into the details of making a Gift.

Again, any ideas or help would be appreciated.

There was homebrew by amechra , called Serpentblooded IIRC. It had some cool snake-themed powers that could be of inspiration.

EDIT: Just throwing ideas without looking at preexisting Gifts;
    Glory: Shapeshift into serpentine monstrosity, Gauru-lite or Urshul plus. Poison and grappling goes here.
    Honor: Hypnotic and/or intimidating gaze. Good for first impressions and Forcing Doors, or just Persuasion and Intimidation, respectively.
    Purity: Something about shedding skin to renew oneself, and/or cold-bloodedness.
    No idea for Cunning and Wisdom.
    Last edited by 21C Hermit; 06-28-2018, 09:59 AM.

MtAw Homebrew:
    Even more Legacies, updated to 2E
    New 2E Legacies, expanded

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
      Writing up a Gift for this, sort of hung with Cunning. Was originally going to make it a distracting-weaving movement but now think hypnosis of a sort might fit. Immobilize or just keep the target watching you, utterly oblivious to anything else going on around them, and even how much time has past. Tempted to push it further with actual hypnosis commands but I don't think this would be the place for werewolf dominate to pop up.

Does anyone have any ideas for other facets? I'm heading to bed and thinking about them while I go. I know someone (on discord) said Thermal Vision but I feel like, given the senses we have now, it wouldn't really do much, even if it was a Passive that made it always available. You can already effectively see in the dark, thermal vision seems superfluous. I'dve loved it in first edition (it's in like 3 separate gifts) but something else for this. So far thinking poison, some sort of reaching ability, maybe an initiative jump-ahead thing, 'the serpent strikes!'.Few other ideas scattered around, maybe good with ropes.

If anyone hasn't thought of this stuff there's a nifty guide from one of the writers that gets into the details of making a Gift.

Again, any ideas or help would be appreciated.
      Instead of direct-commands-hypnosis, what about buried-compulsions-hypnosis? You set up a trigger for another Condition or effect to occur later, like Distracted whenever they smell a particular scent (use it on all the guards of a place before sneaking in), or Frightened whenever they hear a certain growl (giving you an edge, should combat happen), etc.

Or something like the Unaware Hunter's Aspect Condition (or any Hunter's Aspect Condition) applied to a group instead of a single target?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

So here's something I cobbled up, deviating from my usual (bi)weekly Mage homebrewings. As usual, I have absolutely no idea whether it's balanced - even less so compared to my Mage stuff. But anyways, enjoy.

Gift of the Serpent

Serpent's Fangs (Cunning)
        The serpent is a creature of poison, and her white fangs drip with milky malice.
        Cost: None (or 1 Essence)
        Duration: Permanent (or 1 Scene)
        The Uratha's bite attacks in Gauru, Urshul, and Urhan forms become venomous. The venom has a toxicity equal to the Uratha's Cunning, and in combat inflicts the Poisoned (moderate) Tilt. By spending 1 Essence as a reflexive action, she may manifest the fangs in Hishu or Dalu forms. In any form the fangs become elongated, resembling that of poisonous snakes and obvious to anyone who sees it.
        The Uratha also becomes completely immune to all forms of snake venom, defined here as poison extracted from or injected by snakes. Serpentine spirits, Claimed, and other stranger creatures resembling or symbolically invoking snakes count as snakes for this purpose, but such supernatural venoms trigger a Clash of Wills.

Serpent's Form (Glory)
        The serpent no longer hides his form, bursting into an ophidian nightmare of sinuous muscle, hissing poison, and adamant scales to devour his prey.
        Cost: 1 Essence per turn
        Dice Pool: Presence + Survival + Glory
        Action: Instant
        Roll Results
        Dramatic Failure: The Uratha loses control of the serpent within, and suffers a level of aggravated damage as his flesh rips itself apart to unleash several small, quivering snakes that quickly scurry away.
        Failure: The Facet fails.
        Success: The Uratha transforms into a gigantic, monstrous snake, and stays so as long as he keeps spending Essence. The snake form follows the same rules for teeth, Defense, Perception, Lunacy, and Primal Fear that the Gauru form uses. Traits are changed as the following: Strength +1, Dexterity +3, Stamina +1, Size +2, Speed species factor +1 (Health +3, Initiative +3, Speed +7), armor +1/1. Without Rage, he retains full mental and social faculties. Claws and limbs are inaccessible unless the Uratha uses the Quicksilver Flesh Facet, upon which arms and talons spring forth from between his scales. The Uratha's fangs bear poison with a Toxicity equal to half his Glory Renown, rounded down, but may substitute it for what the Serpent's Fangs Facet grants. Lastly, when grappling the Uratha adds her Glory Renown to his Strength + Brawl rolls, and always wins in case of a tie.
        While in the snake form, the Uratha cannot use any non-Reflexive Facets from other Gifts.
        Exceptional Success: Upon his shapeshifting, a number of characters present equal to the Uratha's Glory Renown who are not the his packmates immediately lose a point of Willpower.

Serpent's Blood (Honor)
        The serpent's blood runs cold, and all the supposedly sweet words of outside are nothing but cloying lies to her.
        Cost: 1 Essence
        Action: Reflexive
        The Uratha adds her Honor Renown to her Doors against Social Maneuvering, and to any contested rolls or Clash of Wills that attempt to read or appeal to her emotions.

Serpent's Skin (Purity)
        The serpent tears himself apart to bring forth new flesh, and in it finds rejuvenation.
        Action: Instant
        The Uratha immediately heals a physical Tilt or Condition, but inflicts a point of lethal damage to himself in the process as the skin around his wounds peel away to reveal new flesh. Lethal damage inflicted by this Facet do not benefit from Essence-empowered regeneration, but are healed as usual by that of the Gauru form and external sources of healing.
        This Facet becomes reflexive while the Uratha is in Gauru form, and both reflexive and costless while the Uratha is using the Serpent's Form Facet.

Serpent's Eyes (Wisdom)
        The serpent is both a seducer and an accuser, and with her eyes she may whisper sweet promises or deliver chilling threats.
        Action: Reflexive
        The Uratha may augment a Persuasion or Intimidation roll so that it requires nothing but a gaze into the target's eyes, requiring no words and even no body language. Also, all her Empathy or Subterfuge rolls to read the target's emotions and intentions add her Wisdom Renown as a bonus, but only if she looks into their eyes.
        Last edited by 21C Hermit; 07-01-2018, 10:04 AM. Reason: oops, some mistakes

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

Hey, I like those!

Edit: Maybe some gift that exploits the dislocated jaw of some snakes? I honestly can't remember if there's a 2nd Edition Gift for that (but it's late and I'm barely awake, so forgive me if I'm wrong)

Might have more tomorrow, when my knowledge of snakes (nothing major, I just liked them for years) emerges from the slumber
          Last edited by Cinder; 07-01-2018, 08:15 PM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

Comment

Originally posted by Cinder View Post
            Hey, I like those!

Edit: Maybe some gift that exploits the dislocated jaw of some snakes? I honestly can't remember if there's a 2nd Edition Gift for that (but it's late and I'm barely awake, so forgive me if I'm wrong)

Might have more tomorrow, when my knowledge of snakes (nothing major, I just liked them for years) emerges from the slumber
            Glad you liked it.

About dislocated jaws; I picture that it happens when the Uratha grapples a prey to death while using Serpent’s Form, after which she swallows it whole. But not sure if that needs mechanical representation.

And I note that I had the Snake Hosts in mind while I wrote this (along with the aforementioned Serpentblooded by amechra). Maybe I should add lore that this Gift is taught not by spirits but the Snake Hosts...

MtAw Homebrew:

Comment

A gift taught by hosts... Would have to be a good one, because a certain amount of the Uratha are gonna apply stigma to that, and temptation is the best way to keep them from breaking out the fangs and claws over it. Actually want to know how that would work now, as a wider concept of Host gifts.
              Last edited by Gryphon's Feather; 07-01-2018, 10:56 PM.

Currently Playing: A large, mixed splat game of CofD. As: Seraph du Salomon, Voice on the concordance. Unsubtle man reluctantly participating in the business of Magi. Awakening 2E homebrew http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...=1569864567692

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
                And I note that I had the Snake Hosts in mind while I wrote this (along with the aforementioned Serpentblooded by amechra). Maybe I should add lore that this Gift is taught not by spirits but the Snake Hosts...
                I should probably update those. I made them seven years ago and it shows, but I do feel like there's something cool to be done with the idea of agents of change, cycles and death and rebirth. The problem with the Snakes, unlike my dear Bats and Bees, is that they're not "mine" and thus whatever I write risks to be undone by future books. Which is a price I'd gladly pay to have official material on the Snake Host, but still.

Anyways, the concept of Host-taught Gifts is something that would be cool to explore, even if (or perhaps, because), as Gryphon's Feather said, there's gonna be a stigma in the Uratha and Pure communities against the werewolves that learn those. Snakes are good candidates to teach them, given the role serpent have as knowledge keepers, if alien and dangerous ones. Maybe the Night Horrors book will give us some tidbits to work with (or just an update about the Razilu along with a character and a clearer purpose for the Host)

Also, "Snakes, Bats & Bees" makes for a cool band name.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up, No Father. That Gift doesn't quite go the direction I was seeking, but it certainly has a solid theme. I like it.

I'm still trying to figure out mechanics, but here's something related that I'm working on:

Gift of Burning Blood

The "Burning Blood", or "ningsasa mud", primarily refers to poisons, but can refer to a set of related diseases from fevers, heatstroke, and rage to raving forms of madness and Lunacy. It is taught almost exclusively by spirits of venomous things like scorpions and vipers, but only those associated with madness, fevers, or rage. Both Sol and Luna have servants that can teach this Gift.

The wisdom of the scorpion and viper is not conveyed through comfortable conversation, but by experiencing the pain and privation. This Gift represents that aspect of toxins. The body is a crucible in which mind and spirit are transformed. The burning blood is a catalyst for that change. The duration of effects is normally that of the Burning Blood condition the effect alters.

Cunning: Share the Vision - The Facet grants the bearer the ability to see the hallucinations and visions caused by the burning blood. These illusary phantoms are clearly distinct from reality ang do not impair the senses.

This insight grants bonuses to Empathy towards (and usually helps open Doors with) someone so afflicted.* The hallucinations can be interacted with to prompt a reaction from the visionary. Anyone not witnessing the visions would see those interacting with the vision as reacting very strangely to things not present.

When the bearer of the Gift hallucinates, this Facet expands the vision to other things, such as mental projections and astral phenomena. The downside is that astral and mental presences are perceived exclusively as part of the Gift bearer's own hallucinations, indistinguishable from them. Visions of others usually remain clearly distinct. In such a hallucination, certain circumstances allow entry into Astral Realms, a strange place linked to the Sacred Dream hunts.

Glory: Withstand the Bloodfire - Toxicity damage is reduced by Glory after resistance is rolled, to a minimum of 0. This has no effect on Toxicity or speed of recovery but makes poisons significantly less dangerous, even at low Renown. Any related Poisoned Tilt is reduced by one stage. (i.e. The moderate tilt ceases to have an effect and the dire tilt becomes moderate.) Supernatural poisons invoke Clash of Wills. Success prevents them completely.

When in Kuruth, the blood boils hotter than ever, and complete immunity to poisons applies.

Another benefit of this facet is the ability to reduce the Toxicity of one's natural venoms by up to Glory. For 3 Essence, the personal venom can also reduce the effects of other poisons on a subject's system by Glory + Purity. (The Facet user's natural venom's Toxicity remains unaffected by this, though it can still be reduced by up to Glory.)

Honor: Sacred Rage - A burning blood effect can be made to become volatile anger. When that sparks into rage, it is always focused on a specific target. The target is not specified by the Facet, however, but by the anger and conditions. The gift can only target someone with a burning blood condition;

Die Pool: Manipulation + Persuasion + Glory
                  Cost: 1 Essence, 1 Willpower

Dramatic Failure: The Rite fails and the ritemaster enters Kuruth.
                  Failure: The Facet fails and the ritemaster suffers the Stumbled Condition.
                  Success: Rolls to resist or control rage are penalized by the Honor of the Facet's user. When the original Burning Blood condition ends, any triggered rage has a chance to end at the same time. Roll Resolve + Composure to end it immediately, even if the normal state wouldn't allow this.

Even in a werewolf who falls to Kuruth, this effect makes itself known. If the selected target is in sensory range, Resolve + Composure rolls may be made to keep the rage focused on that target. Obstacles, even packmates, are removed efficiently and brutally, but no time is wasted on such attacks. The goal is a path to the prey. (Lesser forms of rage are more focused.)

When beginning Siskur-Dah, the Facet can have an even more profound effect. If the Ritemaster has this Facet, they can activate it as part of performing the Rite of the Sacred Hunt to convert it into a Burning Blood condition. The penalty to resist Rage applies as normal but only the sacred prey (any/all of them, if multiple) becomes the focus of the Werewolf's rage. This is imperfect, but powerful. The gift can sometimes be overwhelmed by the savage fury of the Uratha.

Gauru and Wasu-Im now count hunting and tracking as valid actions against sacred prey. While sacred prey is in perceptive range, the hunters will always select their primary target from the prey, even in Basu-Im. Any time the prey is sighted, the clock on Wasu-Im resets, permitting the rage be continued much longer without succumbing to Basu-Im. Basu-Im functions as normal when outside perception of the target, except the other participants of the sacred hunt aren't considered valid targets. Everything else still is.

Completion of the Sacred Hunt allows a werewolf in Basu-Im to roll Resolve + Composure to revert to Wasu-Im, as well, and any in Wasu-Im at the completion of the hunt can choose to exit Kuruth immediately.

Exceptional Success: As success, except now the Facet user can direct the rage a bit: The penalty to resisting rage can be selectively removed.

Purity: Envenom Self - Grants poison to bite. This is a permanent transformation that results in poison glands that release under conscious control. Toxicity of the venom is equal to (Purity + Resolve) and applies the moderate Posioned Tilt.

Wisdom: Grant the Vision - A burning blood effect can grant visions. In some sort of enhanced circumstances (possibly when applying the gift to a state that already induces visions; maybe on some Exceptional Success) the facet unveils mental projections and spirits to the visionary senses.

Visions during Siskur-Dah are focused on the prey. Successful tracking or examination of the prey automatically grant a single brief vision of the target.

Any personal venom becomes a mild hallucinagen, as well. *

*Still trying to find mechanics.
                  Last edited by thenate; 09-16-2018, 04:38 PM.

Grump, grouse, and/or gripe.

Comment

Working...
                  X