[New Rites] 'Orrible Curses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [New Rites] 'Orrible Curses

Here's some new rites that someone asked me to put together - don't think I've posted them on the forum as yet! These are a bunch of curses, very much focused on being unpleasant to hapless victims.

Nightmare Rain (Wolf Rite •••••)
    Through invocations that bind spirits of rain and darkness, this curse besets a region with a torrent of rain and misfortune.
    Symbols: Rain, darkness, fear, poison
    Cost: 5 Essence
    Action: Extended (20 successes; each roll represents an hour)
    Duration: 1 month
    Success: The Essence used to fuel this rite must come from a locus of water or rain, darkness, fear or poison. The rite affects an entire geographical region of up to fifty miles across. Within the region, the weather sours rapidly; the sky becomes a rolling blanket of dark grey clouds that constantly pour down rain, while the air becomes stiflingly humid or stingingly chill. The entire region is treated as Resonant for spirits of rain, darkness, fear, and poison, and the rate at which they bleed Essence when in the material world is halved; they also halve the Essence costs of all Manifestations halved, and gain 2 points of Essence at the end of any day during which they have harrassed, terrified, or otherwise made trouble for humans.

Blood Vex (Wolf Rite •••)
    The bonds of blood and family resonate with this curse, its power sickening them and turning them against those who they tie together.
    Symbols: Blood, loyalty, pain, chaos
    Cost: 5 Essence
    Action: Extended (10 successes; each roll represents half an hour); resisted by the target’s Composure
    Duration: 1 year
    Success: The ritemaster names a single character as the target of this rite; they must have a possession of the prey, a lock of their hair, a nail clipping, or some other bodily substance from the intended victim. At the culmination of the rite, the curse weaves itself into their blood; the prey suffers from the loss of any beneficial dice tricks at all on any teamwork rolls with members of their family or rolls to directly aid or protect a family member, has their Impression with family members worsened by one level for social manoeuvers, and no longer benefits from any family member Touchstones. The first time they fail any social skill roll involving interacting with a family member, it is automatically aggravated to a dramatic failure and, furthermore, the curse then copies itself onto the family member in question, affecting them just as it did the original target. The curse will continue to leap and infect family members, but will not spread any further than two steps of relationship to the original target.

Dismemberment (Pack Rite •••)
    This curse calls upon spirits of dreams and fear, promising to feed their ravening hunger in return for terrorising the prey.
    Symbols: Dreams, smoke, teeth, fingers
    Action: Extended (15 successes; each roll represents ten minutes)
    Success: This rite targets a single character who is asleep within the territory sanctified by the pack. The ritemaster must have a possession of the prey, a lock of their hair, a nail clipping, or some other bodily substance from the intended victim. The ritemaster also chooses which arm or leg they wish the spirits to gnaw away. At the culmination of the rite, the victim gains the Leg Wrack or Arm Wrack Tilts as appropriate for the chosen limb. Upon waking, the victim is afflicted with nightmarish visions of the limb having been chewed apart, dissolved into dust, or simply vanished into thin air; the limb still exists, but the prey will repeatedly hallucinate its absence and, even when they are assured it is there, it feels numb and clumsy. If the prey leaves the territory, a single night’s sleep frees them from the curse’s effects, but if they return to the territory again within the duration, it will return in full force. At the end of the month, if the victim sleeps within the territory on the final night, they will waken to find that the limb really has gone, and the Tilt becomes permanent.

Excoriate (Pack Rite ••••)
    This curse draws on spirits of pain and suffering to levy punishment upon those who betray their pack.
    Symbols: The pack, pain, betrayal, blood
    Action: Extended (10 successes; each roll represents half an hour); resisted by the target’s Composure
    Success: This rite targets a single character who either is a member of the pack, or shared the pack bond within the last month. That character must be named during the rite’s invocation, but does not need to be present. The curse settles upon the prey and sinks into their flesh, causing skin to fester and slough off, blood to sour, and hair to fall out in clumps. For the next month, whenever the character suffers any damage, the amount inflicted is increased by 1 point; all their healing times are doubled; and they suffer the moderate Sick Tilt.

- Chris Allen, Aberrant Line Developer, Freelance Writer

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Beasts would love Nightmare Rain and Dismemberment, and changelings Excoriate.

Does Blood Vex work on vampires and their “family members?” I think the Ivory Claws’ Sacred Hunt treated vampiric family as blood family too, but I’m not sure right now.

MtAw Homebrew:
    Even more Legacies, updated to 2E
    New 2E Legacies, expanded

Comment

Quality work as always, Acrozatarim.

the Dismemberment curse could be a very effective way of evicting certain people from the pack's territory.

Currently Playing: A large, mixed splat game of CofD. As: Seraph du Salomon, Voice on the concordance. Unsubtle man reluctantly participating in the business of Magi. Awakening 2E homebrew http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...=1569864567692

Comment

Yeah my players stumbled across these recently, having a lot of fun deciding what to do.

Comment

Working...
        X