Storm Lords in Lakota lore

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storm Lords in Lakota lore

So I always thought the Storm Lords' affinity for weather was a bit incongruent- weather-witching was never something I associated with werewolves. Then I found this:

Wolves were highly wakan to the Lakotas, and they were known as the messengers of Waziya [the North Wind] (Tyon, Garnett, Thunder Bear, Sword, and Blunt Horn in Walker 1980:101, Red Rabbit in Walker 1980:125, Tyon in Walker 1980:160) and able to produce wind or fog when they howled (Wissler 1912:91; Brown 1992:35). Warriors emulated wolves because they were hardy, fast, and agile (Densmore 1918:71; Wissler 1912:91). They were valued for their stealth and ability to come upon a camp unseen (Tyon in Walker 1980:160). Those who dreamed of wolves were given powers to create foggy weather conditions. A day of dense mist and fog was known as a “wolf‟s day” (Wissler 1912:54, 91).

Originally posted by robothedino View Post
    So I always thought the Storm Lords' affinity for weather was a bit incongruent- weather-witching was never something I associated with werewolves. Then I found this:

Wolves were highly wakan to the Lakotas, and they were known as the messengers of Waziya [the North Wind] (Tyon, Garnett, Thunder Bear, Sword, and Blunt Horn in Walker 1980:101, Red Rabbit in Walker 1980:125, Tyon in Walker 1980:160) and able to produce wind or fog when they howled (Wissler 1912:91; Brown 1992:35). Warriors emulated wolves because they were hardy, fast, and agile (Densmore 1918:71; Wissler 1912:91). They were valued for their stealth and ability to come upon a camp unseen (Tyon in Walker 1980:160). Those who dreamed of wolves were given powers to create foggy weather conditions. A day of dense mist and fog was known as a “wolf‟s day” (Wissler 1912:54, 91).

Snazzy find, there.

Grump, grouse, and/or gripe.

Comment

Working...
    X