Fossil spirits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fossil spirits

Something I'm ginning up for my Pbp game. Anyone who wants to expand on, criticize, or otherwise contribute to this concept is warmly welcomed.

he spirits of rock and earth are generally regarded as passive, disinterested, and sedentary by both uratha and other sorts of spirits. In reality, nothing could be further from the truth- they are enmeshed in deep, complex, high-stakes political and military relationships with each other and the spirits of wind, rain, and plant life that shape their world. While their machinations unfold over aeons, rather than seasons or years, they are no less heated and dramatic for their ponderous pace, and the destruction or consumption of rivals is a commonplace (again, in a geological timescale) occurrence.
    Animal life, and the spirits who watch over it, also have dramas and conflicts which unfold over great expanses of time. Moreso than the spirits of rock, they are subject to cataclysmic, genocidal conflicts, which time and again have led to the utter destruction of many of their number.
    At times when these critical junctures in the lives of spirits of earth and animal coincide, spirits of both kinds may find themselves bereft of physical reflections to sustain their existences. In the wake of mass extinctions, coupled with dramatic geological activity, unlikely marriages of flesh and earth become possible.
    When an animal-spirit whose fleshly reflections have become extinct meets with an earth-spirit who has failed to hold its own against more powerful cousins, they sometimes begin a process of melding. Each willingly allows the other to feed from itself, exchanging Essence over a period of years or centuries. Eventually, the animal-spirit will allow itself to be utterly consumed by its rock-spirit "host". While on one level this entails its destruction, the gradual and carefully-managed nature of the exchange results in something almost akin to a Claimed: a rock spirit which retains a portion of animal consciousness. The animal-spirit is able to persist beyond the destruction of its physical form, albeit in a radically changed state- the rock-spirit is quickened and transformed, gaining the ability to move and act on a quicker timescale and thereby outmaneuver its less motile kin.
    Naturally, these rock-spirits are absorbing non-resonant Essence, which changes their nature. Technically speaking, this makes all fossil-spirits magath, although they are not generally regarded as such within the wider spirit community. Their role in spiritual politics is much like the shaman or witch of human societies: powerful, valued, but also strange anddangerous, belonging neither to one world or the other, but standing as a bridge between them. Mineral-spirits and animal-spirits alike will generally refuse to prey upon them. They are known as uniquely insightful, having the perspective of both biological and geological beings, with long memories that are capable of capturing the details which pure rock spirits are incapable of perceiving.
    Anthropologists who studied the Lakota observed their ritual use of ancient ammonite fossils in buffalo-calling ceremonies. The trite explanation of these whitemen was that patterns in the fossilized shells of these ancient sea-dwellers sometimes resembled bison. The truth is that the spirits attached to some of these fossils were able to compel bison-spirits to urge their herds into the waiting arms of human hunters.
    They did so through the capacity of fossil spirits to read the memories of animal spirits. This numina is a unique advantage of fossil-spirits, making them both honored lorekeepers and feared blackmailers of the spirit world. The fossil spirits know the weaknesses, the sins, and the secrets of the animal people, and anything that crawls, runs, or flies in the spirit world thinks carefully before defying them.

This looks awesome!
    But what about plant fossil spirit?
    And crude oil spirits?

Comment

I'm imagining these fossil spirits as huge, animate masses of petrified bone, creatures of death, to a mild extent, but primarily a blend of stone and beast. A good number of fossils may remember Pangaea, to some small extent. Something so ancient as to remember a time before the Uratha at all.

A small lodge may have been built around one of these spirits, as I imagine certain Bone Shadows would see something to be gained in the wisdom of the ancient dead.

Currently Playing: A large, mixed splat game of CofD. As: Nobody. I'm between characters and haven't been able to get a new concept to stick.

And can you hear the choir sing? For pale blood satellites, to watch the end of everything, on this longest night.

Comment

Some of them probably remember a time before Urfarah. If the Great Predator was even remotely linked to wolves, those hadn't even evolved yet for some of those fossils.

Hmm. Which means they probably be repsect the Forsaken more than the Pure - at least they know Luna and can see her favor. The Anshega yip about their "Father/Mother Wolf" as if some mammal means something.
        Last edited by Vent0; 09-20-2018, 01:55 PM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
        Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Dinosaurs where birds Right. Or Birds are a type of Dinosaurs

Comment

Birds are descended from a common ancestor with dinosaurs, is closer to it?

But I'm still trying to work out what the ban of such a thing would be, while I try and get a totem made for this concept.
            Last edited by Gryphon's Feather; 09-21-2018, 06:58 PM.

Currently Playing: A large, mixed splat game of CofD. As: Nobody. I'm between characters and haven't been able to get a new concept to stick.

And can you hear the choir sing? For pale blood satellites, to watch the end of everything, on this longest night.

Comment

Like humans and chimpanzees. On the subject of ancient animals has any book had describsions of Shark Spirts

Comment

The Black Moon eXtreme pack has a shark as their totem, with stats in Hunting Ground: Rockies. The same book has dinosaur spirits.

Comment

This looks awesome!
                  But what about plant fossil spirit?
                  And crude oil spirits?
                  Thanks for the note- the plant fossil spirits would presumably work similarly, but read memories from plant-spirits rather than animal-spirits.
                  Oil spirits are a cool idea, but not really of the same sort as what I'm talking about here. Note that these are not spirits of fossils, but spirits that have "fossilized". While fossils are resonant with them, and they can draw essence from them, they don't spring into being as reflections of fossils.
                  (My take on the spirit world strays a bit from the canonical one. I much prefer to view the spirit world as being "realer" than the flesh, and that physical things are somewhat epiphenomenal relative to the spiritual. So physical fossilization is an effect of spiritual fossilization, rather than the reverse.)

Originally posted by Gryphon's Feather View Post
                  Birds are descended from a common ancestor with dinosaurs, is closer to it?

But I'm still trying to work out what the ban of such a thing would be, while I try and get a totem made for this concept.
                  As the science now stands, birds are considered to be dinosaurs- that is, they are grouped in a monophyletic clade with all other dinosaurs. The distinction, of course, is purely semantic.

My players are opting for a fossil-spirit totem, so any ideas you come up with would be of great interest to me. As for bans/banes, this is something I'm working on.
                  Anybody holding a piece of rock that is older than the fossil spirit can compel it to tell one secret. This works only once per person per fossil spirit, however.
                  Organisms lacking any solid parts (such as jellyfish), or the spirits of such organisms, are immune to all attacks and Numina of a fossil spirit.
                  Ummm... yeah. Gotta come back to this later.

A small lodge may have been built around one of these spirits, as I imagine certain Bone Shadows would see something to be gained in the wisdom of the ancient dead.
                  Within my setting, there is a Lodge of Predator Kings called the Proven of Ages who reside in Badlands National Park (one of the best sites of Eocene fossils in the world) who revel in endless combat against the fossil-spirits of smilodons, dire wolves, and giant sloths that fill the park. PKs from across North America make pilgrimages here to test themselves against the greatest predators of the spirit world, and wrest powerful half-forgotten Gifts from them.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Comment

Topic necromancy, as I have perfect fit for Fossile Spirit - I prepare Predator Kings pack that live now in caves that were once inhabited by cave bears. So quick look for the cave bear Totem for them.

Most fundamental question is how powerful should local Fallen-Lost be? Ensah (Rank 4) as local spirit court ruler? Dihir (Rank 5)? More above? / More I think will be too much – it comes on area of Lunes and Helions there /

Totem: Paw in Darkness

<Echo of roar of the raged bear in cave>
                    Totem Type: Hunting Bear Spirit ( Cave Bear )
                    Totem Rank: 4 (?)
                    Background: Paw is prehistoric being, first created when Neanderthals killed local cave bears colony. By death of biggest male, the spirit awoken, taking it’s form. It’s survived and roused in power when first humans took the bones and relicts from its physical bodies, starting to worship it as ancient primordial god. In a year or two, first local Uratha that later become Predator Kings found the spirit – and sign the bloody compact. Werewolves will bring the spiritual hunting offerings to Paw, and it will grant ‘the might of 10 bears’ for them. It’s the same now from the millennia. Pure kidnap humans and Wolf-Blooded to run primitive cult in caves nearby that’s worship generate Essence for the Paw to survive all this years. Spirit lord also guide and watch over local brown bears population, like his own grandchildren.

Description: Paw physically is great cave bear male – looking like weighting over 500 kg - only shrouded in darkness ( like permanent shadow ) and dirty in blood of it’s victims.

Storytelling Hints: Paw understand that time of his kind is over. He is using Pure and humans as Essence generators, but in secret he loathes them. However, he is not stupid and knows that without constant spring of worship, he would perish quickly. He then transfer his inner rage on the civilized settlements of humans he destroys with his Uratha adopted children.

Aspirations:
                    To resurrect glory of bear-kind
                    Destroy human civilization

Attributes: Power 12, Finesse 8, Resistance 10
                    Willpower: 10
                    Essence: 25
                    Initiative: 18
                    Defense: 8
                    Speed: 25
                    Size: 10
                    Corpus: 20
                    Influences: Bear ••••, Hunting •••, Darkness ••
                    Manifestations: Gauntlet Breach, Image, Materialize, Posses, Twilight Form
                    Numina: Awe, Blast (Claw marks on victim ), Host Jump, Might*, Pathfinder, Regenerate, Shadow Form**
                    Ban: Cannot rest in man-made den ( Paw is nocturnal creature of darkness - and Helios make Shadow Realm more dormant in day - so rest means in the light of day hours. )
                    Bane: Stone weapons of the Neatherdals that killed it’s physical original

New Numina

Might
                    Spirit can blessed itself – or other being it is touching – with supernatural strength. After activating power with touch, next roll based on Strength or Power of the target use this trait multiplied by the Rank of spirit. Each blessing costs 3 Essence and takes one action of the spirit if made on other being. If spirit is Totem for the pack, it can bless pack members from the other side.

Shadow Form
                    Spirit can take form of living shadow, indistinguishable from normal lights effect. It became two dimensional and moves on any surface just like shadow could. Change cost 1 Essence and is instant. Change back to more physical form cost the same.
                    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 06-24-2019, 10:08 AM.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
                    LGBT+ through Ages
                    LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

A spirit can be high rank and not have much in the way of a court around them. Especially if they already have a human and Uratha cult. Though you might put some minor Rank 1 and 2 spirits around it, nothing too powerful since this would come from a far more predatory time.

Comment

Idea for Ban of the Paw is always look for - I really have a problem to come up with good Bans for my ephemeral entities.

LGBT+ through Ages
                        LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Maybe can't live in a man-made den? This would keep the cave bear in caves, but also force the pack members to not live in huts and cabins.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                            Maybe can't live in a man-made den? This would keep the cave bear in caves, but also force the pack members to not live in huts and cabins.
                            Idea is great! I just have a small problem with one detail - Can't live or can't be in man-made den? Distinction is crucial here - When can you say someone is living in particular site? When it's pack is raiding human settlement - are they living there? If they stay for the night on the streets of the town - are they living there?

I would probably rephrase Ban to: 'Cannot rest in man-made den' - But are spirits possible to rest in our common sense of humanity? Do spirits 'sleep' in normal day? They clearly can hibernate when lost in Essence. But beside that?

LGBT+ through Ages
                            LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by Konradleijon View Post
                              Like humans and chimpanzees. On the subject of ancient animals has any book had describsions of Shark Spirts
                              Yes but no, the family lines diverged before modern humans and modern chimpanzees existed.

Comment

Working...
                              X