Help me with some custom Rites

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me with some custom Rites

I'm trying to work up some ritual goodies for my Black Hills setting, and struggling a bit. I have a few design goals here:
    1: The local uratha are heirs to a long, treasured oral history and spiritual legacy. The knowledge they hold is significant enough to draw uratha from across the continent to serve in hopes of receiving some of this knowledge. This stuff should feel special.
    2: The local spiritscape is home to massively powerful spirits, which even the Forsaken have to keep on good terms with if they want to keep their territories. Rites that involve coercing spirits are not going to be terribly useful here. Rites that encourage their good behavior in a mutualistic way are better.
    3: There are various RL human rites (or stories of rites) that I'd like to incorporate as inspiration, mainly from Lakota traditions but also elsewhere. They include: the Ghost Dance, the Sun Dance, the Great Race, vision quests, as well as the modern "rites" of competitive rock climbing and spelunking.
    4: The area includes many powerful, highly sacred areas/loci in very close proximity to human activity. Many of them have been actively developed by government agencies. Rites that help protect, hide, or otherwise keep them secure are good.
    5: Anything involving nuzusul or wolf-blooded lineages, as these are a matter of great concern to the local uratha.
    6: Other elements I'd like to incorporate-
    fossils and stuff to do with them
    storms and weather more generally
    forest fires
    ghosts
    ancient battlegrounds/massacre sites
    highways and roads (the area sits at more or less dead-center in the US national highway system)
    livestock and fertility

Any help, even super half-baked ideas, would be welcomed.
    Cheers!

1: The local uratha are heirs to a long, treasured oral history and spiritual legacy. The knowledge they hold is significant enough to draw uratha from across the continent to serve in hopes of receiving some of this knowledge. This stuff should feel special.
    Sounds like a good beginning for a local cahalith lodge, probably with a deep understanding of the local spirit courts and spirit wilds.

2: The local spiritscape is home to massively powerful spirits, which even the Forsaken have to keep on good terms with if they want to keep their territories. Rites that involve coercing spirits are not going to be terribly useful here. Rites that encourage their good behavior in a mutualistic way are better.
    Seasonal rites that increase the effectiveness or growth of Essence/loci in the area?

4: The area includes many powerful, highly sacred areas/loci in very close proximity to human activity. Many of them have been actively developed by government agencies. Rites that help protect, hide, or otherwise keep them secure are good.
    Go with the ward-rites from the core.

5: Anything involving nuzusul or wolf-blooded lineages, as these are a matter of great concern to the local uratha.
    There's a rite in signs of the moon that reveals if a wolf-blood child will remain wolf-blood, or if they're destined to go through the First Change. Something like this, maybe?

6: Other elements I'd like to incorporate-
    fossils and stuff to do with them
    storms and weather more generally
    forest fires
    ghosts
    ancient battlegrounds/massacre sites
    highways and roads (the area sits at more or less dead-center in the US national highway system)
    livestock and fertility
    How about: the spiritually and historically rich environment makes it especially nourishing for ancestor spirits?

Dam da namsithim.

Comment

My advice would be starting with a specific thing you want a rite to do, then working backwards from there. A lot of elements around local culture can be folded into the specific ways that local werewolves interpret the symbols needed for a rite, rather than necessarily requiring a whole new rite just to represent them.

I've littered a few new rites around the forum, oft from my own games. The one that comes to mind as possibly being relevant to your points would be Drain The Well, relating to your point 4. Copying it across from the Eater of Names thread:

Drain the Well (Pack Rite ●●●)
      This rite uses a locus to draw in its Resonance from the surrounding area, draining the Shadow of Essence attuned to its nature. Paradoxically, this ensures the locus surges deep with Essence of that kind; if left untended, it will wash back out again stronger than before.
      Symbols:
      Water, pain, piercing or draining, the Resonance type.
      Action:
      Extended (20 successes; each roll represents 10 minutes)
      Duration:
      1 month
      Success:
      The rite must be performed at the site of a locus, draining Resonance into it. This has several effects: spirits and Uratha within 100 yards per dot of the rating of the Locus, or within the entire territory (whichever is larger), take the locus's rating as a penalty to all rolls for Influences that match its Resonance when outside its direct area. The Resonance is reduced in general, removing many incidents of the Resonant Condition across the affected region; draining a locus of pain would cause injuries and aches to inflict less pain, humans and animals will recover faster from harm and may simply not notice minor damage. This will have long-term effects on the Shadow and the material world.
      The ritemaster gains a persistent Ban Condition for the duration of the rite's effect, reflecting the Resonance of the locus; this Condition lifts when the rite ends. If the ritemaster ever violates the ban, the effects of the rite immediately end. If ended via ban violation, or if this rite is not performed on the locus again within a week of its duration ending, the locus becomes empowered for one month as if it were the subject of the Wellspring rite.

- Chris Allen, Aberrant Line Developer, Freelance Writer

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

Working...
      X