Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doing First Tongue Translations

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by nikink View Post
    Bwahahah! Awesome, thanks!
    I even have an etymology behind it:

    nikkik: Forbidden knowledge, lost arts, dark magics and dangerous gifts or powers; often used to refer to things so dangerous they must be kept away, or anything associated with severe Wounds and the realm of the Maeljin.

    kinkh: To work with; to coax, to be skilled at, to manipulate.

    Ergo, the word and name of the Nikinkhim would refer, in the oldest texts, to spirits that guarded wellsprings of forbidden and unknown knowledge, though today it's more of a catch-all term for any spirit that guards a hoard of arcane knowledge or power. The Nikinkhim don't seem to mind the broadened term.


    Comment


    • #17
      I'm working on something and could really use a word which cognates to the Greek Furies and Nemesis, the emphasis - in the usual confusing way of ancient languages - is on a person who is both a hunter for retribution and the relationship to that which they hunt. In essence the hunter is both the nemesis and his enemy is his nemesis, the Furies come in conceptually with the idea that these two combatants will mutually destroy each other in their respective quests for retaliation. This should also describe a hate that runs deeper than tribe or oath, but not the out of control fury of death rage, more akin to an obsessive suicidal ambition. It should be as close as the People come to 'suicide by cop'.



      That guy you've never heard of.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by RuneKnight3 View Post
        I'm working on something and could really use a word which cognates to the Greek Furies and Nemesis, the emphasis - in the usual confusing way of ancient languages - is on a person who is both a hunter for retribution and the relationship to that which they hunt. In essence the hunter is both the nemesis and his enemy is his nemesis, the Furies come in conceptually with the idea that these two combatants will mutually destroy each other in their respective quests for retaliation. This should also describe a hate that runs deeper than tribe or oath, but not the out of control fury of death rage, more akin to an obsessive suicidal ambition. It should be as close as the People come to 'suicide by cop'.
        Suicide By Cop: That's actually a pretty easy one, I think, as I had a concept bouncing around in my head before my hiatus on my translation work. If you're Pure, the term is "tagayaskir Taga Dan", a term originally coined by the Fire-Touched; it means "to make a hunting cry for Taga Dan", Taga Dan being the canonical Eden the Fire-Touched preach that is free of lies and a hunter's paradise. The hunting cry part means you are actively pursuing it, i.e. chasing down your own way into the paradise. That being said, Predator Kings have their own version: "Huzurutag", or "Huzuruth's hunt". If you're Forsaken, it's tag kunamus, "the death hunt" or "hunting one's own demise".
        Last edited by Sikla Alkis; 05-20-2014, 07:58 AM.


        Comment


        • #19
          Translation for Ephsy's character's name into First Tongue: Ursufgutha Serthahagaranzhudur, or "Scourge, Child (Member) of the Lodge of Wrath". "Scourge" in FT is translated as usangurim, meaning to be a terrible troublemaker, vermin or problem, but that has many negative connontations; ursufgutha refers to a beast or monster, especially a monstrous werewolf, and can also refer to a werewolf considered a scourge. It may or may not be negative, depending on the context in how it's used; for example, a ferocious Blood Talon might be called an ursufgutha in a complimentary way as if to say, "Dude, you took on that Azlu nest like a BEAST!"


          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Sikla Alkis View Post
            Translation for Ephsy's character's name into First Tongue: Ursufgutha Serthahagaranzhudur, or "Scourge, Child (Member) of the Lodge of Wrath". "Scourge" in FT is translated as usangurim, meaning to be a terrible troublemaker, vermin or problem, but that has many negative connontations; ursufgutha refers to a beast or monster, especially a monstrous werewolf, and can also refer to a werewolf considered a scourge. It may or may not be negative, depending on the context in how it's used; for example, a ferocious Blood Talon might be called an ursufgutha in a complimentary way as if to say, "Dude, you took on that Azlu nest like a BEAST!"
            More literally, since Serthaha means "Those who Punish", or Punisher singularly, it could be "Child of the Punisher".

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Ephsy View Post

              More literally, since Serthaha means "Those who Punish", or Punisher singularly, it could be "Child of the Punisher".
              That too! Thank you for pointing that out as well.


              Comment


              • #22
                I've been curious about a thing for quite a while now. It sprang from the talk of translating some of the names into Swedish. I realised that I was only translating a translation, so I wonder: What are the literal translations of the first tongue tribe names (into English, Swedish would be great, but I doubt you know it. )? The Ivory Claws would be the most needed ones, but alas, I don't remember their first tongue name.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Seidmadr View Post
                  I've been curious about a thing for quite a while now. It sprang from the talk of translating some of the names into Swedish. I realised that I was only translating a translation, so I wonder: What are the literal translations of the first tongue tribe names (into English, Swedish would be great, but I doubt you know it. )? The Ivory Claws would be the most needed ones, but alas, I don't remember their first tongue name.
                  I will try to remember my best of what they literally mean, as I actually did this a while ago, but never posted it!

                  Suthar Anzuth: "Bloodied eagle's talons" or "bloody eagles". Also could be translated as "blood-drenched talons of the eagle".

                  Hirfarthra Hissu: Literally "ghosts of the bones" or "shades of the bones". Hissu is a term for a human or humanoid ghost.

                  Iminir: "Lords of the rain", "lords of the storm" or "rulers of the storm".

                  Izidakh: "Fire's touch" or "touched by fire". Pretty straightforward there.

                  Tzuumfin: "Claws of white" or "white claws". The tzuum part appears to be derived from Sumerian "hum", which possibly means white, but in First Tongue, it appears to refer to ivory the material or a shimmering, polished white.

                  Ninna Farakh: Very interesting etymologies for this! It appears that it can either mean "the hunters/predators that spread out", "the hunters (that are a part) of the body", or "the hunters/predators who rule over all". There's also "the seat of the predators", meaning that the Predator Kings claim the throne of all hunting beasts of the world.

                  Farsil Luhal: "Masters of canal-splitting" or "masters of digging irrigation ditches". Irrigation was an essential development in the practice of agriculture — could this be a hint that the Iron Masters helped humanity rise to power by teaching them certain technological advances?

                  Meninna: "The crowned hunters". Another boastful name to compete with the Predator Kings.

                  Thirhirtha Numea: "Natives of the forests of nowhere". This took me entirely too long to figure out. @_@

                  Edit: Almost forgot:

                  Anshega: "The geas (sworn sacred oath) of heaven".

                  Urdaga: "The wolves of the sacred hunt". Note the similarities between daga and dah, which refers to a sacred hunt in the context of the Siskur-Dah from the Idigam Chronicles.
                  Last edited by Sikla Alkis; 06-19-2014, 09:17 PM.


                  Comment


                  • #24
                    One piece of text I would love translated is the phrase "This is the way the world ends."

                    In Tribes of the Moon, it is said this phrase was found painted on the wall in a cave and serves as a warning for those who are part of the Lodge of the Final Winter. I have no idea if it will affect your translation, but the phrase has served as the foundation for a lodge who believe that the Pure will bring about the Apocalypse, Luna herself will fall from orbit, and shards of her stone flesh will rain upon the world like atom bombs.

                    Always has been one of my favorite lodges especially since I am running a game which will eventually utilize the W:TA Apocalypse book where this can indeed happen.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Sikla Alkis View Post

                      I will try to remember my best of what they literally mean, as I actually did this a while ago, but never posted it!

                      Suthar Anzuth: "Bloodied eagle's talons" or "bloody eagles". Also could be translated as "blood-drenched talons of the eagle".

                      Hirfarthra Hissu: Literally "ghosts of the bones" or "shades of the bones". Hissu is a term for a human or humanoid ghost.

                      Iminir: "Lords of the rain", "lords of the storm" or "rulers of the storm".

                      Izidakh: "Fire's touch" or "touched by fire". Pretty straightforward there.

                      Tzuumfin: "Claws of white" or "white claws". The tzuum part appears to be derived from Sumerian "hum", which possibly means white, but in First Tongue, it appears to refer to ivory the material or a shimmering, polished white.

                      Ninna Farakh: Very interesting etymologies for this! It appears that it can either mean "the hunters/predators that spread out", "the hunters (that are a part) of the body", or "the hunters/predators who rule over all". There's also "the seat of the predators", meaning that the Predator Kings claim the throne of all hunting beasts of the world.

                      Thirhirtha Numea: ...Still trying to figure this one out.

                      Edit: Almost forgot:

                      Anshega: "The geas (sworn sacred oath) of heaven".

                      Urdaga: "The wolves of the sacred hunt". Note the similarities between daga and dah, which refers to a sacred hunt in the context of the Siskur-Dah from the Idigam Chronicles.
                      How about Meninna and Farsil Luhal?

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        The tribal ban of the StormLords is one I have been wanting for a while.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          - How about when a wolf goes on a Rogue Hunt despite not having approval of the rest of the pack or maybe without warning (so possibly puts the pack in danger)?

                          - how about a meaningless squabble between non-werewolves? The meaning less squabble between two spirits.

                          - Climbing a Social Ladder? Growing up and changing physically?



                          Frequent Story Teller for the Circle of Five gaming group.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Finally have a chance to breathe and update this thing!

                            Farsil Luhal: "Masters of canal-splitting" or "masters of digging irrigation ditches". Irrigation was an essential development in the practice of agriculture — could this be a hint that the Iron Masters helped humanity rise to power by teaching them certain technological advances?

                            Meninna: "The crowned hunters". Another boastful name to compete with the Predator Kings.

                            Thirhirtha Numea: "Natives of the forests of nowhere". This took me entirely too long to figure out. @_@

                            Storm Lord Tribal Ban: "Nuthask kal igim lu nu akkal nuku kenser."


                            I'll get to the other translations in a minute.
                            Last edited by Sikla Alkis; 06-03-2014, 05:10 PM.


                            Comment


                            • #29
                              I have to say, you are doing an awesome job as always bud, keep up the amazing work ^^.

                              I do have one that I have been meaning to ask, but keep forgetting or never having the time for it, a translation for Ant Hosts

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Sikla Alkis View Post

                                Storm Lord Tribal Ban: "Nuthask kal igim lu nu akkal nuku kenser."


                                I'll get to the other translations in a minute.
                                Awesome. Now I have to get this inked somewhere near the SL tat on my shoulder.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X