This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, so a bit of a progress report:

- I'm going to have to redo my fanon grammar from the ground up. Canon grammar is closer to Sumerian grammar than I thought — one of the devs said that they had to learn Sumerian's basics for some translations in...Signs of the Moon from 1e, I think? Sentence translations and complex will have to be on hold for now, but I can still do simple Adjective-Noun translations.

- I lost track of a bunch of word lists. Other than all the translations I need to get to on this page, as well as the ones listed in the OP, are there any others I need to get on that people requested? I know I'm still trying to figure out the eras of mankind for The Young Man In the Cafe.

- I'm going to go back and clean up a bunch of words I think rely too heavy on apostrophes/stereotypical fantasy spellings (like "ah" for a long A vowel).

- I'm going to find CatDoom's pronunciation guide and put it in the original post, for reference. I don't see anything in canon that gives a definitive contradiction to anything he came up with, and the 2e glossary entry of Cahalith actually has the final syllable pronounced as "it", which lends to the idea that the th are aspirated (spoken with a noticeable puff of air) consonants.
    Last edited by Sikla Alkis; 02-18-2017, 04:15 PM.

Comment

• Awesome work. Simply awesome work.

Comment

• The Anubi, Threadwrought, @milo v3

Uzu-Kur: Flesh-Ripper (lit. “rends flesh asunder”)
        Muth Luzukag-Uzuh: He Who Lays With Blood Demons (lit. “blood thief’s whore”, and that Uzuh is considered a very strong word, ESPECIALLY to the Forsaken; something not quite as bad [but would still curl the hairs off of polite company] is Muth Luzukag-Shiniduth)

ghen: to move, to be in motion, to flow (as a liquid does)
        kum: the flow of a bodily liquid, such as urine, sweat or blood; to bleed, to secrete something
        hane: to blaze, to burn fiercely; a conflagration, a firestorm, a great and destructive fire; an out-of-control wildfire or bush fire

Silighelum-Ur: Singing Wolf
        Mammudh-Ur: Dreaming Wolf
        Zibbu-Ur: Painted Wolf
        Talakgil-Ur: Screaming Wolf
        Mekhar-Skirthufhal: The Silent Howlers

uzurih: a carnivore, a predator
        tag-uzurih: a hunting animal; a carnivore that obtains food by hunting
        gadh: an itch, a scratch; an irritation of some kind; to be agitated
        mirgadh: a sense of indignation, great anger or irritation; to be agitated, rowdy or riled up greatly; a fury that can move and change worlds (such as that of a political movement)
        ummia: an expert; a professional; one who is established in their field
        su-suhiak: a doctor, a medical professional (lit. “body-fixer”)
        namarusu: a reflection; a mirrored image

Namzutag-Uzurihag Zizu: The Assamites ("life thieves of the Wise Hunter")
        Mirgadh-Skir: The Brujah ("agitated voices")
        Namusag-Ummia: The Cappodocians ("death's own experts")
        Namus-Nir Dum: The Giovanni ("the family of dead lords")
        Sahfala-Mirska: The Setites ("the rebellious snakes")
        Nu-Numarusu: The Lasombra (“the reflectionless”)
        Mag-Ihdar: The Malkavians (“raving prophets”)
        Thakh-Lakha: The Ravnos (“wandering criminals”)
        Suthar-Su-Suhiak: The Salubri (“doctors covered in the blood of the slaughtered”/“those who mend mangled and bloody bodies”)
        Sagh-Hespar: The Toreador (“those trapped by beauty”)
        Muth-Ummaluzuk: The Tremere (“blood witch-thieves”)
        Uzu-Gheskihdi: Tzimisce (“flesh crafters”)

Ventrue’s already been translated.

shargus’urlul: “Many-skinned liar-wolves”, or Prometheans made out of wolves that need to feed on essence, or they lose control of themselves and their forms

I’m still getting the basics of the grammar. I need to come up with something that isn’t a complete cut-and-paste of Sumerian itself, but still falls in line with what the devs had in mind. This is what I’ve got so far.

Comment

• Thanks for remembering that request.

My Savannah Setting can be found here

My heroes as monster tamers rules can be found here

Comment

• This is so amazing! I will have to dig through this whole thread at some point.

Comment

• I'm looking for a translated name for a curiosity spirit whose English name is "Shiny Thing Found!" He's magpie-shaped, if that helps.

Currently playing at Fabula Rasa in the Cold Equations venue; planning an Obrimos for Fallen London.
              I can also be found at http://darkersolstice.tumblr.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Sikla Alkis View Post

I don't see anything in canon that gives a definitive contradiction to anything he came up with, and the 2e glossary entry of Cahalith actually has the final syllable pronounced as "it", which lends to the idea that the th are aspirated (spoken with a noticeable puff of air) consonants.
                You might have a pre-errata version of the PDF? That got corrected to represent a voiceless dental fricative in the glossary.

Sam Young | Vampires ruin everything freelancer

VtR: 13 Licks: The Curses of Caine in Blood and Smoke13 Licks: Tricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: Mysterious Place: The Cabin
                Actual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines

Comment

• Yossarian: I do, thank you for pointing that out.

@Heu: Oh, this was a tough one. I'm still struggling to understand the verb chain in Sumerian, so I fell back on my old, homebrewed grammar for the name: Zalah-Bisirium-Kal-Fath. Because of a magpie's tendencies to pick up all the shiny things as their special treasures, the name literally means "A Shiny Piece of Treasure Is Found!".

And there are a huge chunk of translations I did, but I lost the file to them. Here are some translations from another list, mostly cobbled together from canon 1e words but with some other stuff thrown in. Now, most of this is pretty much guesswork, but this is what I managed to come up with:

ethal: the ashes of the dead; ashes of a burned or cremated body
                  huz: to have raised hackles; to be bristling with rage or fury; the state of a wolf or animal in an attacking or aggressively defensive position, i.e. claws out, teeth bared; a word to describe berserking attacks or a berserk individual
                  inim: the words one has spoken and which are directly quoted from or attested to an individual
                  udta: a position or point; in regards to the military, a line or place held or defended by something
                  zith: loyalty or dedication, especially to a cause believed to be true and good (such as the cause of an archetypical paladin)
                  zidh: formerly known as "zith", this is now the spelling that refers to flour
                  ahar: a metal lead, i.e. something like the ring put through a bull's nose to lead it along
                  dul: to gather, to harvest; to reap
                  ilthum: a band, a group; cohorts, reinforcements, aid; a term for a band of mercenaries or a group for hire in some way (such as a group of freelance artists)
                  husa: the muscles of the neck
                  de: the cheek
                  shumm: garlic; an onion
                  ba: allotments, halves, pieces; pieces cut out from something; a part sourced from something else
                  bah: formerly "ba", this is a catch-all term for marine creatures whether supernatural or mundane
                  dagu: something or an action that destroys or kills by throwing or thrashing around
                  kurum: curving, bending around, winding; something that is serpentine or river-like in how it winds
                  dakabh: to ooze or drip; to be so soaked or saturated with something that you're dripping with it
                  garga: the destruction associated with the destruction of kingdoms, the toppling of empires, the raiding of lands, etc.
                  shula: to flood or overwhelm something to bring about a negative or destructive result, such as to spam e-mails or send a swarm of fighters against opponents to overwhelm them
                  ghu: to devour, to consume, to ravenously eat (more vicious and savage connotations than rih)
                  ghabha: the chest; the breast; a word used to refer to one's heart
                  sughar: the fallen, the dead; a corpse
                  hala: one who sings lamentations; one who delivers eulogies or speaks/sings in rememberance
                  maaz: to be bursting with happiness or good feelings; to rejoice
                  hon: to spawn heavily or reduce/replace in copious amounts, such as a population of rabbits that is breeding out of control
                  endi: something that is appealing or valuable to children; something that provokes a childish response of "I want it" or "oooh, shiny"

Comment

Working...
                  X