Profane Mysteries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Profane Mysteries

The Secrets of the Pack Lodges has been put up.

If you noticed the homebrew lodges from Wolfmas onwards, you may have noticed these little 'Secrets of the Lodges' sections containing a few things that expand on their cultish behavior and sometimes offer further mechanics or benefits or plot elements. The five lodges in the Pack book had them as well, but they were cut, and are now available on the blog.

Yo, that is awesome! I'm so stoked we finally get to see these!

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

direct rejection of the people do not kill the people? that's so brave its foolish. and that's why I love Garm. and the steel teeth are as wild as always

Comment

Yep, pleased to have finally gotten this stuff out there!

- Chris Allen, Freelance Writer & Developer

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by Acrozatarim View Post
          Yep, pleased to have finally gotten this stuff out there!
          Thank you for doing so! It is some pretty cool stuff.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Am I the only one who’s concerned that Isim-Ur is trying to mate with her half flesh siblings? Is this going to be the genesis for the Unihar (now that werewolves can have sex with each other), the result of a werewolf impregnating or getting pregnant from a wolf spirit?

Comment

it's going to be a big problem if the prospective werewolf could even survive, otherwise a possibly heretical practice that brings even more trouble than any other lodge secrets

also really love that lodges are cults for 2nd edition, meshes well with tribes having loose traditions open to interpretation (to an extent) to having lodges which are crazy secret

Comment

I like Isim-Ur's increased links to vampirism. The temples of clotted gore and banquets of putrid meat are pretty big red flags when pursuing a (mortal) mate, presumably the suitors would be considered obscene and horrifying by even the most extreme of Pure.

These secrets do a fantastic job of adding more mystery and heresy to the lodges.

Comment

sweet beautiful heresy. do tribes sort of accept that heretical practices happen in lodges, just not vocally and without knowing the full extent?

Comment

Since tribes aren't monoliths with regulatory agencies it would be hard to really do anything about it. I do imagine there are lodges dedicated to stamping out what they view as heresy.

They are Secrets of the Lodges, after all, not well known aspects of them. And as the Pack makes clear lodge members tend to keep their beliefs and activities among themselves.

It's an interesting way to let players in a pack have their own secrets and blasphemies without being 'secret traitor who's going to kill his packmates.'

Comment

it is very interesting. especially with (correct me if I'm wrong, probably am) the fact that uratha are expected to stay loyal to their pack, not their tribe. even if they tolerated it, it could make enemies of other packs

Comment

Well, you're not supposed to disrespect your tribe, but it's pretty easy to be a good member of a tribe. There's one ban, just follow it and for the most part you're good.

As the Pack points out, joining a lodge can give you a more focused system of belief. The tribes are pretty broad in scope, and while you can be a very staunch member of one, the lodges seem to offer much more of a sense of belonging and vision than a tribe.

Sure, ideally it's something you could be getting from a pack, but not all packs are going to have a higher spiritual cause about them. 'For a werewolf who finds herself adrift in the world, a Lodge can provide her with answers that make sense of the violence and madness of Uratha existence.'

Comment

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
                          sweet beautiful heresy. do tribes sort of accept that heretical practices happen in lodges, just not vocally and without knowing the full extent?
                          Different world, different lodges, and different heresy, but... I can't say.

The relationship between the lodges and legions in first trilogy of the Horus Heresy is probably an excellent touchstone for the relationship between Lodges and Tribes. The difference being that the Forsaken's lodges are much smaller and most of them are probably more trustworthy. Hopefully.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

good 40k analogy actually. both have their own traditions and such, with the good ones still having heretical practices that are kept secret (and rarely are just BARELY tolerated by those in the know) while adhering to the general consensus. meanwhile others go overboard and risk batshit insanity

Comment

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
                              good 40k analogy actually. both have their own traditions and such, with the good ones still having heretical practices that are kept secret (and rarely are just BARELY tolerated by those in the know) while adhering to the general consensus. meanwhile others go overboard and risk batshit insanity
                              And on the more positive side of the coin, the Lodges are about cross-sectional connection, a way for there to be back doors between packs and tribes that allow them to speak freely and bind the packs/tribes together into a stronger whole. They also allow for connection and comradary with other werewolves and spirits who aren't as distant and godly as the Firstborn. Ideally the pack does that... but tension grows when you are with same people all the freaking time. The Lodges provide an outlet that helps to stabilize the pack and lets werewolves relate to one another.

Comment

Working...
                              X