X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nofather
    started a topic Profane Mysteries

Profane Mysteries

The Secrets of the Pack Lodges has been put up.

If you noticed the homebrew lodges from Wolfmas onwards, you may have noticed these little 'Secrets of the Lodges' sections containing a few things that expand on their cultish behavior and sometimes offer further mechanics or benefits or plot elements. The five lodges in the Pack book had them as well, but they were cut, and are now available on the blog.

• nofather
    replied
    One of the problems with being dead for such a long time, lots of rivals and enemies and even new ideas come up to take your place. Come back and they're already in a strong position to recruit.

I've really been enjoying the Firstborn plots and the legacies of the original factions from Sundered World, seeing how they trickle down to today. Were they founded by the ancient spirit rivals that later backed the Pure? Or did they just take advantage, or maybe even spawn from the mindset of the ancient tribeless wolves?

Leave a comment:

• Sith_Happens
    replied
    So now that Shunned is out are we going to talk about

There is a schism in the ranks of the Lodge. Some Eaters favor close ties to the Lodge of Death; Chinese emissaries of the Lodge are offering alliance. Other cultists flock to a different banner — the Tesfurfarrahu, or Devourers. The Devourers are a small cabal claiming to have proof of an old, powerful pact that bound Isim-Ur, though she does not remember this. Devourer doctrine states there are other dead children of Mother Wolf that the Lodge must discover and devour as a holy duty, just like with Ravening Wolf.

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    I think Apollo's twisted helions would be different enough from representing the sun that they would probably manage vampires well. It is basically a vampire as it is, pretending to be a sun god and downing human souls to power its activities, even encouraging sin and vice. I don't think riding would automatically grant Sunwalking status (or that that should be off the table, just that it's more likely to come when the subject is inevitably claimed), and presumably like Eddie Vines the spirit would be able to instill enough paranoia if the host wanted to go public, or just force the issue.

But yeah I was thinking dead animated through a rite, perhaps to become guardians, with vampires being more trophy catches. It's easy to imagine a vampire becoming curious about a Temple of Apollo to try and sneak in or take advantage, especially given they already share vampire-party resonance.

Leave a comment:

• LostLight
    replied
    First- OH MY GOD HOW HAVE I MISSED THIS GLORIOUS THING

*ahm*

second- the way I read it was that it is meant to target an already undead (like vampires). The problem is that most of those dead already have something which is spirit like and rides them: Sin Eaters have their geists, revenants have their own ghosts, mummies are bound to their Judges, etc. Vampires, however, are known to be possessed by things (like infernal demons, and of course that's part of the whole horror of the strix), but the idea of a sun spirit ridding a vampire makes me think that it would definitely won't end up good.. like, at best case scenario, you'll get a pile of dust. At worst... yeah, I need to write that Sunwalker idea that is buzzing in my head for ages. Also, just imagine what would happen if the Temple would try to make the rite upon a strix possessed vampire/ corpse. Yeah, that definitely can't end up bad :P

So yeah, perhaps the other reading (that is, corpses animated by magic) is the more correct one. No one wants a sunwalking vampire motivated by a broken sun spirit which claims it found Golconda, right?

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    I was re-reading the Temple of Apollo's secrets and saw this:

Spirits of the hyacinth plant are either close allies or rabid foes of the Temple. Thebans anoint human sacrifices with extracts of the plant as it has the favor of the Sun Wolf. Furthermore, anointing the animated dead with hyacinth allows Thebans to vomit a blazing soul out of their Lodge bond in a reverse of the sacred hunt, turning the undead into a Ridden bound to a twisted, distorted helion spirit.
    Emphasis mine.

Do you think this refers to dead animated on their own, such as with a rite? Or more specifically this would be used against something like vampires?

Leave a comment:

• Second Chances
    replied
    Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
    good 40k analogy actually. both have their own traditions and such, with the good ones still having heretical practices that are kept secret (and rarely are just BARELY tolerated by those in the know) while adhering to the general consensus. meanwhile others go overboard and risk batshit insanity
    And on the more positive side of the coin, the Lodges are about cross-sectional connection, a way for there to be back doors between packs and tribes that allow them to speak freely and bind the packs/tribes together into a stronger whole. They also allow for connection and comradary with other werewolves and spirits who aren't as distant and godly as the Firstborn. Ideally the pack does that... but tension grows when you are with same people all the freaking time. The Lodges provide an outlet that helps to stabilize the pack and lets werewolves relate to one another.

Leave a comment:

• Primordial newcomer
    replied
    good 40k analogy actually. both have their own traditions and such, with the good ones still having heretical practices that are kept secret (and rarely are just BARELY tolerated by those in the know) while adhering to the general consensus. meanwhile others go overboard and risk batshit insanity

Leave a comment:

• Second Chances
    replied
    Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
    sweet beautiful heresy. do tribes sort of accept that heretical practices happen in lodges, just not vocally and without knowing the full extent?
    Different world, different lodges, and different heresy, but... I can't say.

The relationship between the lodges and legions in first trilogy of the Horus Heresy is probably an excellent touchstone for the relationship between Lodges and Tribes. The difference being that the Forsaken's lodges are much smaller and most of them are probably more trustworthy. Hopefully.

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    Well, you're not supposed to disrespect your tribe, but it's pretty easy to be a good member of a tribe. There's one ban, just follow it and for the most part you're good.

As the Pack points out, joining a lodge can give you a more focused system of belief. The tribes are pretty broad in scope, and while you can be a very staunch member of one, the lodges seem to offer much more of a sense of belonging and vision than a tribe.

Sure, ideally it's something you could be getting from a pack, but not all packs are going to have a higher spiritual cause about them. 'For a werewolf who finds herself adrift in the world, a Lodge can provide her with answers that make sense of the violence and madness of Uratha existence.'

Leave a comment:

• Primordial newcomer
    replied
    it is very interesting. especially with (correct me if I'm wrong, probably am) the fact that uratha are expected to stay loyal to their pack, not their tribe. even if they tolerated it, it could make enemies of other packs

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    Since tribes aren't monoliths with regulatory agencies it would be hard to really do anything about it. I do imagine there are lodges dedicated to stamping out what they view as heresy.

They are Secrets of the Lodges, after all, not well known aspects of them. And as the Pack makes clear lodge members tend to keep their beliefs and activities among themselves.

It's an interesting way to let players in a pack have their own secrets and blasphemies without being 'secret traitor who's going to kill his packmates.'

Leave a comment:

• Primordial newcomer
    replied
    sweet beautiful heresy. do tribes sort of accept that heretical practices happen in lodges, just not vocally and without knowing the full extent?

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    I like Isim-Ur's increased links to vampirism. The temples of clotted gore and banquets of putrid meat are pretty big red flags when pursuing a (mortal) mate, presumably the suitors would be considered obscene and horrifying by even the most extreme of Pure.

These secrets do a fantastic job of adding more mystery and heresy to the lodges.

Leave a comment:

• Primordial newcomer
    replied
    it's going to be a big problem if the prospective werewolf could even survive, otherwise a possibly heretical practice that brings even more trouble than any other lodge secrets

also really love that lodges are cults for 2nd edition, meshes well with tribes having loose traditions open to interpretation (to an extent) to having lodges which are crazy secret

Leave a comment:

Working...
X