X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wyrdhamster
    started a topic Contagion in WtF

Contagion in WtF

As I prepare to run Contagion Chronicle storyline in my Werewolf chronicles, I made analysis of how gameline setting ideas can relate to Plagues elements, for anchoring it in game. As I already done that, I thought I will share with fan community here and start broader discussion. Enjoy!

Enemies
    1. Fire-Touched – Uratha Tribe under patronage of Wolf God of Truth and Sickness sounds already as interested in Contagion. When you add that Izidakh are obsessed with Spirit World and it’s ecology, clearly any Plague that is affecting spirits is their first concern. Concerning Sworn/False divide, by their religious favor they often come to Jeremiad, and by more doomsday vibe they relate to Naglfar’s Army.
    2. Bale Hounds – Cursed wolves of Maeljin are aiming for the end of the world, so Naglfar’s Army is natural faction for them. Contagion outbreaks can point to literal Hell on Earth when Plague swept through the region.
    3. Hosts – Some Contagion strains are weakening Gauntlet, or even other dimensions. Hosts like Beshilu, that are dedicated in the end destroying of Barrier are natural allies for this forces, even if rats can be ignorant of the greater power they serve.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 04-17-2019, 04:09 PM.

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    So I return to the idea of Iconoclasm and Werewolf, returning to my game. Watching werewolf media, I think that my players need clear Prey to hunt the Contagion – werewolves stories are about hunting, in the end – and hunting the Iconclasm Contagion itself would be to nebulous as enemy. I think about Prey that would reflecting the spread of the Iconclasm in Constantinopole – leading to at least stop of the large stop of spreading in city, or as the ‘disease sample’ to devise the Cure. Maybe some sick and mutated Spirit Lord as Prey? What do you think?

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    As wanting to focus my Werewolf game on Contagion stuff…

Fighting Contagion as Hunt WtF 2E is all about Hunt, so even fight with Contagion should feel like it, yes? How would you make feel of going after Contagion to feel like Hunt? Can you declare Sacred Hunt on the Contagion strain? How to make Cure a probable Prey in the story?

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    My players are dwelling deep into Iconoclasm Contagion, to find a permanent cure. Any idea what can it be, from Werewolf: The Forsaken point of gameline?

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
    Symptoms

Outbreak Core: It starts with your secondary traces of being. People start to miss you in conversation. You lose reflection, then your shadow. Then people omit you in life. And, finally, you simply cease to exist.

Contagion started with Ephemeral Beings ( spirits, ghosts, goetia, angels, etc. ), worshiped as sacred items and anchored to those images. Spirits and ghosts started to lose Manifestations, then their Essence – then their Corpus, being erased from reality. As the Contagion spread, even non-infected individuals lose they reflections – like the mirrors and water resists to show anyone living in them. ( Non-infected undead like vampires and sin-eaters are still shown. ) And finally whole glory of Empire is forgotten and lost.

Stages of Contagion are describing firstly effects on Ephemeral Beings, then after ‘/’ for the humans and physical monsters. Beasts of Dark Mother, Bound Sin-Eaters and Uratha werewolves are in worst situation because of this Plague – they response they were are both Ephemeral and physical beings, at once. On Stage 2 they lose Essence/Plasm/Satiety and their shadow. And on Stage 3 they lose Corpus ( Health in reality ) and lose contact with outside world.

Contagion Carrier (Persistent)
    1. Contagion-Touched – Social penalty -1 to express oneself / Social penalty -1 as people subconsciously omit Touched in conversation.
    2. Infected (1) – Blocking of 1 Manifestation per day. When loss of last one – next stage. / Loss of reflection in water, mirrors and similar.
    3. Infected (2) – Loss of 1 extra Essence per day. Cannot use Numina and Influences as ephemeral entity lacks the bodily cohesion to interact with other beings in Twilight. ( From lack of Twilight Form. ) A ghost who suffers this fate drifts through Twilight unable to be seen or touched even by other Twilight ghosts, alone and helpless to affect the world in any way, even only the world of ghosts. Spirit is locked in Twilight and cannot move to Shadow Realm on it’s own. When loss of last one Essence point – next stage. If being has physical representation and at least 3 other material beings worship the representation – Essence lost is stopped for 24 hours. / Loss of shadow on any light source.
    4. Infected (3) – Loss of 1 Corpus point per day. Uratha are checking entering Basu-Im each night because of Essence hunger. Begotten has 0 Satiety. When loss of Corpus box – final stage. / People do not notice you unless you make physical contact ( transmitting Contagion then ).
    5. Disappearance – Final outcome, you cease to exist.
    Consequences of Contagion
    Ephemeral Beings:
    • Loss of Manifestations – Slow disappearance of Twilight Form, Reaching, Fetter and Posses or Claim makes ephemerals not possible to affect humans – so no healing, blessings and overwatching of spiritual entities of humanity. More deadly accidents, weaker tools, and first and foremost – no influence of ghosts and spirits on the mortals. People are becoming more and more agnostic in their worships.
    • Loss of Essence ( and a like ) – Weaker spirits ( and other ephemerals ) are easier prey for their enemies. Predatory spirits are more violent, weakened by Contagion spirits and ghosts looks for the way to jump over to the Flesh World and collect Essence directly. Spiritual landscapes madness. Hungry Werewolves without Essence and Beasts Satiety going down implies rampaging Uratha and Horrors in physical bodies on Flesh World. Mortals become more dull and detached from their emotions.
    • Ephemerals cease to exist – Like in Loss of Essence, but much more direct. Spirit World and Primordial Dream is turn upside-down with gaps in ecology. Underworld is much more ‘hungry’ as ghosts-slaves of it are disappearing. All the realms are starting to ‘steal’ mortals in place of their native ephemerals, to fill the roosters.

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    The Contagion seemed the situation where people who would not normally join together would join together, because there's something awful there. A Contagion that threatens the existence of both parties, requiring them to team up to defeat them. After that, when the Contagion is gone people get to doing their own thing. They may stay in contact with members, but they may just try to forget them as they go back to their hopefully back to normal lives.

If the beshilu and Hunters had an agreement to work against something that was screwing both of them over, then they might give each other a pass under certain occasions. Hunters agreeing not to kill the beshilu in a certain area, providing they stay in that area. Beshilu agreeing to avoid the Hunter in Darkness territory. But hosts aren't people, they're rabid monstrosities that only seem to care about three things, themselves, their drive to revive their progenitor, and hating werewolves. The hate represents itself in different ways and most established hosts are not going to go berserk at the sight of a werewolf, when they know there's more cunning ways to deal with the ancient enemy that has been bent on their genocide for thousands of years. If a Contagion affects them both similarly, they may relax enough to work at it, but they may just as likely kill each other to study the remains, or ensure that the other party isn't going to try it first. And if it affects one side and not the other it's hard to imagine either side lifting a finger to do anything to help the others.

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    Returning to the topic with interesting game example. I run my Constantinople in 800s AD setting. I have underground Cisterns system ('sewers') defended by Hunter of Darkness pack. And there I have surely rats population in area.

Seeing how Contagion of the past in New Rome ( CoD canon event Plague of Justinian / Black Death ) lead to rise of rats and then decline - as humans were fighting the sickness and brought more and more cats to the streets - the rats survived in Cisterns that are now half-forgotten. Now, some of you implied possible cooperation between Sworn and Hosts. With Hunter in Darkness joining religion lead Jeremiad Sworn and possible Beshilu in Cisterns system - is there a way for them to cooperate? I thought about possible twist for players - 'Hunters in Darkness are working with Rats Host! ' - but more I imagine this, less I see that as possible. HiD pack still needs to call Sacred Hunts from time to time, and what's better target that their 'favorite' Prey?

Originally posted by nofather View Post
    Their drive is to rebirth their progenitor. It's possible some will gain the intelligence to realize the Contagion may be aspects of their progenitor sending instructions on how to do so, thus join the Rosetta Society. The Cryptocracy offers power and knowledge that most groups wouldn't refuse. Something like the Theseans could be appealing to particularly powerful and torn members like Ariadne, who wish to try to change themselves to avoid their destiny, but could also be appealing to hosts who perhaps think changing what they are might be a better way to bring back the Spinner Hag, Carrion Prince or whoever.
    ​Calling nofather, Nicolas Milioni & LostLight on this
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 04-04-2020, 03:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    I need a bit help with NPCs ideas. I need to introduce Bone Shadows wolf-blooded and Uratha pack related to Contagion, that is cantered on the hunting for the interlopers on medieval library. They would be from predecessor to Rosetta Society Sworn, so they would see Contagion as universe massage to decipher and to beat by knowledge. Bonus points if I could use ideas in 800s Constantinopole. Easiest would be using Paeon idea – but those are pointed as Pure werewolves in Forsaken By Rome from Dark Eras Companion. :/ I have only one idea for particular character – blind monk guarding secrets of Libarary by second century now, that is going by name Eater of the Dead. And, well, he really eats the dead for knowledge. ( He is the Bone Shadows Ithaeur, after all. )
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 03-28-2020, 12:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    Probably not until the book is officially out. WoDcodex will likely list them all and offer page numbers. Maybe in the Locales page.
    Last edited by nofather; 10-24-2019, 03:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Logothétēs
    replied

'Contagion' is broad term over vastly different regional events that break base reality in area, in some way. They are only put together as it's seem all those different effects are 'spreading' like a disease in various ecologies they start in - going even to mortals and other supernatural beings.

For now we have those shown as example Contagions:
    • Parallel universe bleeds of beings and places ( Edinburgh, New Zealand )
    • Vampires rising blood addiction and light sensitivity in all around them ( Edinburgh )
    • Suicidal depression sticking to every self-conscious being ( Odense )
    • Ghosts becoming material, permanently ( San Francisco )
    • Corruption that makes you immortal and/or mutated ( Kyoto )
    • And few other I did not read yet...
    My own example idea: Contagion of Being, that slowly erase ephemeral and physical beings from reality.

Pardon me, but is there some sort of list and/or codex putting together all these 'contagion' scenarios?

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied
    Awesome!!!

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    Originally posted by Penelope View Post
    And my friend thinks the Malkavia virus is another strain of the Contagion (although that’s not really WtF).
    I steal your idea for Alternative Contagion Origins!

Leave a comment:

• Penelope
    replied
    There’s some stuff about the Contagion in Shunned by the Moon. And my friend thinks the Malkavia virus is another strain of the Contagion (although that’s not really WtF).

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    Development on my Iconoclasm Contagion - Viking PCs where in small chapel in North Greece. Contagion-Touched Uratha player was trying to drink mass wine. But he already has Blood of Human as Kuruth Trigger. Player in joke wondered if character will react to it as 'they believe it's blood of human'. Went with that, describing how PCs is resisting Basu-Im, changing to Urshul in Wasu-Im he is, with some black veins on the mouth and something that looks like blood, not wine, on his face. Good times! ( Later I described how he has slight fever in even normal temperature room. )

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    Symptoms
    (...)
    Stages of Contagion are describing firstly effects on Ephemeral Beings, then after ‘/’ for the humans and physical monsters. Beasts of Dark Mother, Bound Sin-Eaters and Uratha werewolves are in worst situation because of this Plague – they response they were are both Ephemeral and physical beings, at once. On Stage 2 they lose Essence/Plasm/Satiety and their shadow. And on Stage 3 they lose Corpus ( Health in reality ) and lose contact with outside world.

Contagion Carrier (Persistent)
    1. Contagion-Touched – Social penalty -1 to express oneself / Social penalty -1 as people subconsciously omit Touched in conversation.
    2. Infected (1) – Blocking of 1 Manifestation per day. When loss of last one – next stage. / Loss of reflection in water, mirrors and similar.
    3. Infected (2) – Loss of 1 Essence per day. When loss of last one – next stage. / Loss of shadow on any light source.
    4. Infected (3) – Loss of 1 Corpus point per day. Uratha are checking entering Basu-Im each night because of Essence hunger. Begotten has 0 Satiety. When loss of Corpus box – final stage. / People do not notice you unless you make physical contact ( transmitting Contagion then ).
    5. Disappearance – Final outcome, you cease to exist.
    Consequences of Contagion
    Ephemeral Beings:
    • Loss of Manifestations – Slow disappearance of Twilight Form, Reaching, Fetter and Posses or Claim makes ephemerals not possible to affect humans – so now healing, blessings and overwatching of spiritual entities of humanity. More deadly accidents, weaker tools, and first and foremost – no influence of ghosts and spirits on the mortals. People are becoming more and more agnostic in their worships.
    • Loss of Essence ( and a like ) – Weaker spirits ( and other ephemerals ) are easier prey for their enemies. Predatory spirits are more violent, weakened by Contagion spirits and ghosts looks for the way to jump over to the Flesh World and collect Essence directly. Spiritual landscapes madness. Hungry Werewolves without Essence and Beasts Satiety going down implies rampaging Uratha and Horrors in physical bodies on Flesh World. Mortals become more dull and detached from their emotions.
    • Ephemerals cease to exist – Like in Loss of Essence, but much more direct. Spirit World and Primordial Dream is turn upside-down with gaps in ecology. Underworld is much more ‘hungry’ as ghosts-slaves of it are disappearing. All the realms are starting to ‘steal’ mortals in place of their native ephemerals, to fill the roosters.
    Okay, revisioning my Inconclasm Contagion idea. Reading more rules on Contagion, I see character simply goes from Infected (1) to Infected (2) and then Infected (3) simply by passing times of chapters without cure ( number of Stage +1 ). However, how character goes from Contagion-Touched to Infected (1) Condition? There is a way for stoping the Contagion ( avoid contact with source ), but there are not the rules for when character goes from Touched to Infected, finally.

Other idea I have - I thinking about adding extra rule for Infected (1) stage for werewolves - where Ephemerals are losing Manifestations, Uratha would get extra Kuruth Triggers. But this seems to imbalance them against other hard hit supernaturals by Contagion - Beasts and Bound/Sin-Eaters - as those groups would not have something this hard on this stage. Also, deciding extra Kuruth Triggers could be a problem on itself - Do infected Uratha get's new Kuruth Trigger set, with Passive, Common and Specific forms? Only one of them? If only one,which should character get? Maybe it's a too much a hurdle to get werewolves even worst than rest of afflicted monsters...

Leave a comment:

• LostLight
    replied
    The Beshilu may have deeper connection to the Contagion than the other Hosts (I mean, Rat is known as the Plague King for a reason- who knows? Maybe it went crazy after being infected by the Contagion during Pangaea). Not sure where it would put them, as carriers of ages old strain, but it could serve as a storybook.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X