Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wound (Spiritual Kind) Questions

Looking for some help RE: Wounds

1. In the discussion of Wounds in the WtF2e book, I see the discussion of effects inside the Wound on the Hisil side of the gauntlet, but what would the Flesh side of the Gauntlet be like inside the area of a Wound? I'm sure it would be noticeable, but what would the effects be?

2. Also, am I understanding correctly that (at least theoretically) the Wound would be surrounded by either a Barren or a Shoals as the essence of the surrounding area is drawn into the Wound (and then corrupted)?

3. I am intrigued by the concept of the worst parts of the corruption of the Wound area coming from a rend into "something else" - that part of the corruption stems from some other dark alien force intermingling with the already corrupted spirits of pain/horror/torture/etc. that created the Wound in the first place. I am disappointed, however, to not really have much to go on as to what this "other" might be. Anyone have thoughts on the nature of this other place/entity that is the ultimate root of the Wound corruption? Has anyone explored this aspect in a game yet?

4. What are the possibilities that the "other" in this case could be another dark unknowable, alien antagonist from one of the other game lines (Gentry? Abyss? Chthonian? other?)

5. Do we have any ideas on how a Wound might be "healed" or closed?

The answers to some of these will be found in the upcoming Shunned By The Moon book.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post
      The answers to some of these will be found in the upcoming Shunned By The Moon book.
      Cool - any ideas on when release will be? The couple previews that have been released are intriguing, but my game should hopefully be launching sometime in the next month or so and I was kinda hoping for at least some clue as to what the Flesh side of a Wound looks/feels like sooner rather than later.

Comment

First edition sets some standards in Lore of the Forsaken. Keep in mind a lot could change before we get Shunned and be willing to adapt (or not, depending on what you want) and you might use it. I'll answer your questions from the perspective of first edition stuff, though.

1. Generally it's not noticeable. You might have a Verge, where the worlds become one, but generally the Gauntlet keeps a lot of the Hisil -> Gurihal taint limited. People would feel 'off' there, someone with empathy or mild psychic powers would recognize that 'Something bad has happened here.' And depending on what the wound is about, there may be some mechanical differences. If it's a house where a serial killer slowly tortured and killed his victims with agonizing pain over a course of decades, maybe injuries are more likely (damage gets upped, 'accidental' damage like from a fall goes lethal). And of course you have spirit influence. Wounded spirits might take advantage of humans in the area to spread some woundage. In an abandoned building that townspeople threw those inflicted by a horrible plague that struck the town 60 years ago, and left them without treatment until they died, a spirit of disease might reach out and touch an urban explorer who might bring that disease back to their own town.

2. Nah, shoals and barrens are different. Shoals are more of a negativity, compared to wounds 'obscenity.' They become mires, hard to get out of. Barrens can form from a variety of reasons, and might actually be a particularly heavy-handed way to cleanse a wound. In a barren the Essence of a place is all gone, usually from a mix of a thick Gauntlet that keeps Essence from coming through, but also due to some sort of magical disturbance (like a big fight between a pack of wolves and powerful spirits, or the passing of an idigam). In these places, in the gurihal, you have a sense that things are unimportant, bland, that even sharp emotions are dulled.

3. Remember, this is just first edition. It seemed to imply that Wounds opened up to some place, either a Place-That-Isn't, or the hellscape of another world entirely. It gets explored very little (mostly in Lore of the Forsaken and a bit in the fluff of other books; there's one with a legend of a werewolf tracks down a Maeltinet deep in its hellhole). However, eventually the Inferno book came out, and effectively said 'It's hell, full of infernal demons and things that are embodied by and seek to spread sin.'

4. I preferred the idea that the Wounds led to their own sort of thing, and not the general hell of the Inferno. Going so far as to mix second edition things, I'd say it's some sort of Pangaea but for sin, full of Pangaeans but entities that exemplify the foundations of what is wrong with the world (the Maeljin, and others) and seek to spread it. That's just me though.

5. It should be hard work (though I mentioned the heavy-handed way above, which could be quicker). It's like terraforming. Bind away all the Wounded spirits, drain or seal any wounded loci, then begin building a better place there. Put up a real clinic in that abandoned building that actually treats and cares for sick people. Bulldoze the serial killer's house and build a playground. They'd still need to keep an eye on it, lest the clinic attract a Typhoid Mary or some kid at the playground find a knife and get urged into doing bad things with it. Time helps.

Comment

Originally posted by jmkoontz1980 View Post

Cool - any ideas on when release will be? The couple previews that have been released are intriguing, but my game should hopefully be launching sometime in the next month or so and I was kinda hoping for at least some clue as to what the Flesh side of a Wound looks/feels like sooner rather than later.
          Hopefully very soon now!

- Chris Allen, Freelance Writer & Developer

‚ÄčLike my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

Working...
          X