Could a werewolf survive a petrol tanker explosion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could a werewolf survive a petrol tanker explosion

Its a rather specific question but one likely to come up in the game i'm running. Its a hard one to answer as, how much damage does a petrol tanker explosion even do? I'm pretty bad at the raw sciences so its a tough one, a lot comes to mind, and likely a napalm like continuous burning effect I imagine, but then again its petrol not oil so what would I know.

The plan is to reflex shift into Gharou at the point of explosion, so the auto healing per turn will at least be in effect, as will the Armor (does that even help here?) and the extra health. I'm generally curious what people think here.

If they shift into Garu, yeah, definitely. Werewolves don't take agg damage from mundane sources, and the supercharged healing will help with the whole "burning to death" aspect.

Comment

Yes, but even with the killing form, it may take a mixture of luck and how much the ST likes your character in order to see if they can survive the initial explosion before their regeneration kicks in.

It all boils down to how much damage they receive in that turn, and while the odds are far more in the Uratha’s favor than a squishy human when it comes to survival, there is still a chance it’ll kill them instantly.
      Last edited by Korogra; 08-05-2019, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Even if it doesn't kill the werewolf immediately, they can still die on the succeeding turns. An explosion that size will likely cause damage to roll over to aggravated. Combined with the fact that the fire will cause 5-6 lethal each turn the werewolf remains lit on fire, you might continue to take aggravated damage (at a rapidly increasing pace) if you don't have enough health boxes to contain all the lethal damage before regenerating it. (Made even worse if someone were to shoot at the flaming monstrosity, but didn't seem like it from the description of the scene.)
        And even if the werewolf does survive all of that, exiting basu-im causes you to automatically go to hishu, and that's a loss of four health boxes. If that's all you had left you die.

Bloodline: The Stygians
        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by MysticJackal View Post
          Its a rather specific question but one likely to come up in the game i'm running. Its a hard one to answer as, how much damage does a petrol tanker explosion even do? I'm pretty bad at the raw sciences so its a tough one, a lot comes to mind, and likely a napalm like continuous burning effect I imagine, but then again its petrol not oil so what would I know.

The plan is to reflex shift into Gharou at the point of explosion, so the auto healing per turn will at least be in effect, as will the Armor (does that even help here?) and the extra health. I'm generally curious what people think here.
          Most likely. Even the feeblest of Gauru (1 Stamina, Small-Framed) is going to have 9 health unless they're going out of their way to get even smaller. While there's no mechanic for a petrol tanker explosion, its probably reasonable to compare it to sitting on a heavy frag grenade as it goes off (currently the highest way to take damage from explosives, and the most damaging explosive in the mechanics). The damage would be lethal (normally Aggravated, so while it could vaporize a mortal your werewolf would be more durable, and their armor would fit in). Then the fire damage would do 6 (3 for Inferno, 3 for Chemical fire), though the armor might not help this forever (Most armor can block its general rating in fire damage automatically for a number of turns equal to that rating).

All that said, unless this is in combat, you might not want to use the combat system for it, and 'simply' have them roll to see how well they pulled off the maneuver, then let them deal with some Aggravated damage and maybe a Condition to represent some longer to heal issues (eyes, carbonized leg or lungs) that won't go away until the Aggravated goes away. This way they can still be in play but will be pretty hindered due to their action. One thing to note is that werewolves feel the regeneration, and can be addicted to spending Essence to numb the sensation of their body rebuilding itself.
          Last edited by nofather; 08-06-2019, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X