X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nightsyko
    started a topic Dark eras : viking setting

Dark eras : viking setting

So i am storytelling a game werewolf game in the dark eras viking setting and wanted to shoot some ideas by reddit and get some feed back or ideas and just start a discussion.

I was thinking taking some inspiration from the new God of war game and having a helion ridden who thinks/is the avatar of Baldur as main antagonist.

He learn by going in the roots of the world tree that Ragnarok will never happen and is trying to force it by forcing the hand of the sons of Fenris (werewolves) to kill him. (P.98 of shun by the moon for inspiration)

In the root of the world tree he allied him self with Orocheiros a geryo who is the second antagonist.
    Playing in the viking dragon mythos. (P159 of shun by the moon)

Mixed with some Lance sanctum vapires protecting chapels from raids and changeling elves in the wood maybe?

Looking for some more setting ideas or just conversation to get the ball rolling

• Nightsyko
    replied
    Thank you all for your help you guys have great recommendations. I had to switch group so i decided to change my setting a bit.

I am going to set in in the beginning of the viking era with the first raids in the British Iles and the north of France. But i want the main focus to be in the mainland of the viking. Probably during winter.

I still want to portray some raids, maybe on some christian settlements or the last Romain stronghold. Mix in some vampire as antagonist or even allies during these raids. Maybe some other pack of werewolves also.

But my players wanted to feel a sort of survival type horror, so i was thinking making the main problem of my chronicle a undead invasion of the north. Maybe have a Tremere as the main antagonist with Orocheiros a geryo who is closely link to death and the dragon mythos. Except for Hel are their any folklore gods or creature that could represent a lich?

I am also thinking of home brewing the gods as spirit avatars or riden or possed mortals. I actually want the god to be in the game like they were in Viking folklore.

I like the idea of the changeling court need to read more on their lore tho.

Any ideas comments on this change of direction in the main conflict of the chronicle?

Thanks a lot

Leave a comment:

• nobby
    replied
    For the Lancea et Sanctum, they like to test the faithful and show them just how bad this world is compared to heaven. So you can use them as more then just antagonist as I can imagine them as sometimes even encouraging raids on monasteries for that reason.

For changeling, you could use alternate courts( maybe Dusk and Dawn) and so tie them to the helion. And/or use a True Fay who embodies the story of Ragnarok.

Also, using ghosts and the underworld might be fun and fitting, especially if you go for a darker/bleaker atmosphere.

Leave a comment:

• Lyrics Of War
    replied
    Your helion should set himself up to be the trigger for ragnarok so his death causes a flood of snow spirits. Get that fimbulvinter on

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    Originally posted by Nightsyko View Post
    Thank you for the advice will take into consideration for my prep
    Write with any questions/advises - on last years I become somehow knowledgeable in Byzantine setting and future Russia, as I make fan version for my games. ( On other locations I can advise some ideas, going deep into Norse lore in this last years. )

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    Originally posted by Nightsyko View Post
    I was thinking taking some inspiration from the new God of war game and having a helion ridden who thinks/is the avatar of Baldur as main antagonist.
    He learn by going in the roots of the world tree that Ragnarok will never happen and is trying to force it by forcing the hand of the sons of Fenris (werewolves) to kill him. (P.98 of shun by the moon for inspiration)[/quote]

I haven't played the video game but that sounds good.

In the root of the world tree he allied him self with Orocheiros a geryo who is the second antagonist.
    Playing in the viking dragon mythos. (P159 of shun by the moon)

Mixed with some Lance sanctum vapires protecting chapels from raids and changeling elves in the wood maybe?

Looking for some more setting ideas or just conversation to get the ball rolling
    Sounds really good, you might look at the Fall of Fenris for some ideas, mostly the inclusion of hive-claimed for giants, and the Lodge of Muspell. I kind of like the idea of Predator Kings maybe breeding with giants, getting stronger and more vicious stock, which was something done a lot in Norse myth.

The Fall of Fenris write-up has Wolves of Hel, but in our recent game we had some Winter Wolves that popped up, they weren't exactly a huge threat on their own but tended to travel in packs around a lot of our bigger cold-based antagonists. Wolves claimed by spirits of winter, cold, and the hunt.

Winter Wolf
    Attributes: Intelligence 2, Wits 5, Resolve 2, Strength 5, Dexterity 4, Stamina 4, Presence 3, Manipulation 2, Composure 1
    Skills: Athletics 3, Brawl 4, Stealth 2, Survival 3
    Merits: Iron Stamina 3
    Willpower: 3
    Essence: 10
    Health: 9
    Initiative: 5
    Defense: 7
    Speed: 15
    Influences: Cold •• Predation •
    Dread Powers: Armored Hide 2, Blast 4 (2 DD, 2 ED), Natural Weaponry 3, Regenerate 1
    Melee Attack: 9 +3L (On Exceptional Success, Bite causes Extreme Cold Condition for 3 days)
    Breath of Ice: 7 +2L (this is just their Blast attack, which was not the Numen but the Dread Power from Mortal Remains).
    Last edited by nofather; 09-09-2019, 08:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Nightsyko
    replied
    Thank you for the advice will take into consideration for my prep

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    As I run Viking Dark Eras game third year now, I must give one, important advice - Game setting location and time is crucial for chronicle. Wolf & Raven Era spans 700-1100 AD - and each 100 years in this period is different than other. Not too add games looks totally different on the North settlements, English shores, inner fights of Normans in France - or being mercenaries at Byzantine courts. Totally different games they will be.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X