Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hunters in Darkness "territory" theme in high-travel games/limited "home base" time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunters in Darkness "territory" theme in high-travel games/limited "home base" time

I wanted to tap the community's thoughts on how to square playing a Meninna in a game where the characters are potentially not staying in the same place long enough to truly "claim territory." Or, we may have a Dedicated Locus, but it's not going to be our consistent Batcave where we regroup every single session, if we're traveling out of the area.

In case it's relevant, this is also going to be a game set in Antiquity. We're doing Werewolf/Mage in the "Fall of Isireion" Dark Eras setting with the implications of "Forsaken By Rome" added in (i.e., the Roman Protectorate alliance between the Ivory Claws and the Iron Masters is in play) - 4 Forsaken and 2 Awakened. So it's not like modern travel or communication technology will be in play, unless we start to really abuse the Space Arcana as the game goes on. I know Dark Eras gets into this a little in the "Wolf & Raven" chapter - the rites to placate the spirits in your territory while traveling during the raiding season - but this also implies an intent to return there within a given timeframe and I'm not sure if that's really what will happen frequently in this game.

Meninna really appeal to me. Of all the antagonists, I find the Hosts some of the most creepy and compelling - they're not like other werewolves or humans where you "know your prey," and they can't really be bargained with unlike many spirits. I also see them as an obvious allegory for actual germ-plagues and some of the methods to prevent them are similar - you just cannot let them take root. The character I've planned is also fitting into the Roman politics of the era in a way that greatly appeals to me, to not be part of the Protectorate structure in a central way despite being born a patrician.

My ST is just a little concerned that the Tribe focus on territory won't work particularly well if we're going from Alexandria to Memphis to Thebes to Syria. My personal take is that "your territory is what you claim and hold right now, and that may change with the dictates of your duties to the Oath of the Moon." So if my initial territory is the Alexandrian docks due to my obsession with preventing foreign Host-plagues from going home and infecting Rome, then if we go to Memphis I might claim a similar dock-area as primary territory for the same reasoning. The character is a former legionary, so he's used to going around place to place, and basically claiming the new camp or occupied area as "territory" as Meninna see it and in terms of preventing the spread of the Hosts wherever it is. I do want feedback on whether my view of "territory" here lines up with what's printed and makes sense as well.

FWIW I don't plan on investing heavily into the Gift of Warding - at least not initially. The cost seems high, especially for a game where we might not be going back to the same place all the time, and I think it's a valid concern my ST might have if a Gift I'm heavily invested in gives little to no benefit in game, but that's not really what I'm aiming for here.

So...thoughts?

"Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

"Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

Generally speaking, the Hunters apply "territory" about as broadly as the Iron Masters do — defining who/what/relative-where your character's/pack's mus-rah is an added wrinkle, but as long as they have an understanding of what delineates the holy killing ground they should be solid.

Separately, are you interested in the Meninna for any reason other than their sacred prey, or would being a member of another Tribe with a personal focus on the Hosts still work out for you?

Resident Lore-Hound
    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

You don't need to focus on your own static territory with the Hunters in Darkness. The hosts don't. And 'sacred places' can be many things, such as historical sites relevant to them (found far and wide) and relatives, human or not. As a legionaire you have battle grounds and sites where wars have been fought.

As an aside, I wouldn't overlook the Warding gift out of hand. It's really useful even if you're just using it for a night or a couple nights.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
        As an aside, I wouldn't overlook the Warding gift out of hand. It's really useful even if you're just using it for a night or a couple nights.
        One concern here is I am not sure how easy/fast it is to get Essence back and all but one Facet requires 5 Essence a pop.

That and - as new characters, having a "1" in the relevant renown type really limits the space covered. Though maybe I am overthinking that/have too modern of a take on the amount of space needed to cover. A 100-500 yard radius area is probably bigger area than I am mentally visualizing. Using Knotted Paths to get a target into an area affected by Predator's Claim is super nasty to boot.

Also for Boundary Ward...

Originally posted by Werewolf: The Forsaken 2e, page 135
        The area can be increased to up to Wisdom Renown in miles if used within the pack’s territory.

Emphasis mine - it feels like this should be a defined term of art but probably isn't and as such I'm not sure how it would be defined or if I'd have to argue for its application constantly with the ST

"Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

"Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

Comment

Originally posted by Zelbinnean View Post
          One concern here is I am not sure how easy/fast it is to get Essence back and all but one Facet requires 5 Essence a pop.
          The fact that all of those Facets last for a month and every auspice can get at least that much Essence per month as long as they can see the sky at night is worth pointing out.

Emphasis mine - it feels like this should be a defined term of art but probably isn't and as such I'm not sure how it would be defined or if I'd have to argue for its application constantly with the ST
          See the Hunting Ground Rite on pages 143-4.
          Last edited by Satchel; 12-17-2019, 12:44 PM.

Resident Lore-Hound
          Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
            Separately, are you interested in the Meninna for any reason other than their sacred prey, or would being a member of another Tribe with a personal focus on the Hosts still work out for you?
            Part their Sacred Prey, part their territory focus, part the descriptions of how they share info and come together and the like. I think "territory" as a concept plays really well into the ideals of the Roman soldiers of the time, as well as defending their borders from threats. Part of it too is I really like their Merit in finding the Safe Place of their prey.

Hunters in Darkness also fits the mental aesthetic of the character I've developed best given his backstory, aside from the Iron Masters, which I am explicitly not picking just as a point given the specifics of the setting we're playing in.

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
            The fact that all of those Facets last for a month and every auspice can get at least that much Essence per month as long as they can see the sky at night is worth pointing out.

See the Hunting Ground Rite on pages 143-4.
            Thanks for the cites! The game hasn't started so I don't know how much we're moving around, but it was a consideration I needed to keep in mind at the start. Definitely picking up that Rite, I had forgotten that it existed.

Comment

Originally posted by Zelbinnean View Post
              True but it is just one facet. How much Essence you get and go through will depend a lot on your game.

That and - as new characters, having a "1" in the relevant renown type really limits the space covered. Though maybe I am overthinking that/have too modern of a take on the amount of space needed to cover. A 100-500 yard radius area is probably bigger area than I am mentally visualizing. Using Knotted Paths to get a target into an area affected by Predator's Claim is super nasty to boot.
              100 yards is a football field, but if you are travelers it's a good way to keep the place you're camping at safe. And All Doors Locked is always useful.

There's a rite for it, I think it's called Hunting Ground, where you basically define the limits of your territory. This would probably be something you would skip.

Comment

I'm writing as ST of 3 years in Wolf & Raven Viking times. And I agree, getting Hunters in Darkness to work in traveling chronicles can be problem. But here is my solution: Change the HiD Territory need to the Pack of the characters.

Recontexting Mennina to defending their packmates and health of pack at whole makes characters much more hanged on traveling crew - and, generally, works in those long journey games. Yes, changing HiD focus to their Packmates much more as Iron Masters - but two Tribes are still different over Sacred Pray and Renown their point. HiD still looks first for Hosts and IM are still after humans organisations.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                LGBT+ through Ages
                LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

That's a really interesting idea, wyrdhamster, thank you!

Comment

Working...
                  X