Stopping Power?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stopping Power?

Had a conversation with a coworker while working the local fair as security, familiar with WW:tF about a hypothetical situation in which a newly changed Uratha could, in theory, take out about a dozen law-enforcement at the fair due to the fact they only have handguns and the People can move / heal faster than they can fire on them; granted, most LE were in groups of two or four at any given time. Can one, sole Uratha take out that many law-enforcement if they are dispersed?

1. It would cause a HUGE ripple and both the Pure and the Forsaken would come to the area.
    2. Hundreds of law-enforcement agents would descend on the area looking for the killer of their fellow deputies.

I mean they’re all gonna suffer lunacy. Also the insane healing rate makes it doable, unless they’re packing silver, which I doubt they Are

WoD-Dark Eras!! (Backed for Viking Age Werewolf)

Comment

Originally posted by Iguazu View Post
      Can one, sole Uratha take out that many law-enforcement if they are dispersed?
      Yeah. Not every werewolf going through a First Change could do it, so they might just kill some people, fall out of Kuruth, then keel over dead without anyone really knowing what went on. But if they had some Brawl and were healthy beforehand they'd be wiping out groups of 3-4 officers with one roll through Down and Dirty Combat. Mechanically it's pretty easily doable. Though if it's at a fair, there would be other people there too and it would probably slow down the werewolf enough that they wouldn't physically have the time to kill everyone before passing out and looking like another victim.

These two lines seem to be more about repercussions:

1. It would cause a HUGE ripple and both the Pure and the Forsaken would come to the area.
      I wouldn't say it's not a big deal, but it's not likely to summon the Pure, who may not even care. There probably wouldn't be a lot of witnesses who could be coherent about what happened, with spirit shenanigans really muddying the waters. Forsaken might try to cover it up (it's possible they never find out about it) but their focus would probably be to sweep the First Changed away. Odds are the one who changed would wake up drenched in blood among others, and could be seen as a lucky survivor as much as a perpetrator.

2. Hundreds of law-enforcement agents would descend on the area looking for the killer of their fellow deputies.
      I'm guessing by this you're referring to them being able to figure out who did it fast and stop them. I don't think it would last that long. Maybe, but werewolves can be law enforcement agents too or get there and hinder an attempt to witness what was going on. Plus being able to step into another world most humans have no idea even exists, or turn into animals or other people gives them a lot of escape routes.

In the Pack book, one of the example packs is a band that all went into death rage at once (it can be infectious, but this was likely spirit-induced) and ended up leaving 'a street of popular shops covered in blood.' They went the repentance route and now live as hermits avoiding human-kind and the risk of it happening again.

There's two parts of the Oath of the Moon that'd come up here, providing Forsaken and Pure are involved. The herd must not know, and the people do not murder the people. I think some, especially werewolves in law enforcement or who had family members at the fair, would be more willing to break the second rule. But for the most part the mindset would probably be 'get them out of there, cover it up or try to shift blame, then make sure it doesn't happen again.'

That said, there's always folks like Bale Hounds or tyrants or Ghost Wolves and even some kinds of Pure or even Forsaken who would use it as leverage to screw over the town or werewolves or spirits nearby.

It would make for a good plot point, I imagine First Changes among PCs are an even mix between 'total bloodbath' and 'lucky it happened in the middle of nowhere.' I probably wouldn't want to play the character, as it would be a rather big burden of guilt to deal with. But it shows a good reason why you would want to keep an eye out for new changes in the area.
      Last edited by nofather; 01-19-2020, 01:43 AM.

Comment

Something if this stemmed from a section of the fair called, "Carnival", with rides, lights, noise, music etc. Enough to drive a young Uratha to frenzy. If it tried to live a normal teenage-life with its friends, it would have to go to Carnival with wielding goggles and hear-plugs. And yes, patrolling a fair when it is closed for the day is very, very creepy with no one around.

Comment

Originally posted by Iguazu View Post
          Something if this stemmed from a section of the fair called, "Carnival", with rides, lights, noise, music etc. Enough to drive a young Uratha to frenzy.
          That's not how Death Rage works. Maybe you've got a non-universal trigger that the Carnival happens to fall into at the Common level, but by default werewolves don't risk falling into a berserk killfrenzy from sensory overload.

Resident Lore-Hound
          Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

I say if you want Deathrage to work that way it totally makes sense, sounds fun, makes it more dangerous to be Uratha. I sometimes like to include little involuntary triggers that would sensibly overload a Werewolf's senses and drive them into Wasu-Im that they can contest with a resolve+composure check. Even if it doesn't Wasu-Im them, they might start acting more obviously...inhuman, so to speak.

Now concerning fighting a bunch of LE? Guns are nasty. In Gauru you get defense vs. firearms which is great, but that defense goes down each shot fired, and if you're not focused on being mobile or have high speed, you might aggro a bunch of police nearby and end up facing 5-6 cops. If they got light handguns our little Nuzusul here may very well survive - Shotguns? Rifles? Anything dealing 4L on a single suxx is to be seriously reckoned with, that can quickly roll over into aggravated damage.

Then again, lunacy affected cops are going to go ape-shit and act nutso, and even if they succeed against resisting lunacy, they get a -2 to their actions cuz they're wigging out. I'd say it'd be a serious challenge and would probably be a huge, awful mess that a First Changer could conceivably come out from with some aggravated/mental scars.

Comment

Working...
            X