Strix Totem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strix Totem

hey peepz i saw this idea in WTF 2nd The Pack were it mentioned the idea of having a strix totem. Have any of you actually explored that possibility either in a game or in your heads? Ideas for ways it would affect the pack in question and rules for how to make it work?

Can a strix give a pack bond?

WoD-Dark Eras!! (Backed for Viking Age Werewolf)

Comment

well i presume so, like Geists can do it if they become a pack totem. I would presume the wtf 2nd pack book would not have mentioned strix totems as a possibility unless they could in theory give the pack bond.

Comment

Probably going to be a pretty scary pack. Might be particularly interesting for a VtR-WtF crossover game.

Comment

the reason i am considering it is cuz the main character in a solo game i am running will have a strix following her, cuz it was born from the murder she committed during her first-change as she hunted down her ex hubbeh and killed him!. So the strix follows her around cuz it a new born lil bird and it appreciates the gusto of the murderizing she did in her death rage. It also doesn't sense any humanity in her((cuz harmony not humanity :P)). Since the strix is a newborn it will form it's personality from watching the main character who is a single mother and a homeless woman, so i think it will develop a very twisted caretaker sort of persona. Possessive or something similar will become it's vice!

Comment

Generally speaking, stuff that isn't an actual spirit can fill the social role of a totem but lacks the metaphysical anatomy to work like a spirit in terms of providing boons and Aspirations and connections. If a Strix is serving as a totem in a way that actually sustains a pack bond, there's a reason for that that bears consideration.

Resident Lore-Hound
            Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Traditionally while things can take the place of a spirit as a totem, it seems to be mostly due to the shifty nature of the werewolf, and just like following a lune leads to moon-madness, following other things can lead to other deviations.

I'd say go for it (you seem intent on the idea) but also think about how such a bond would affect the werewolf player. You're bound to be able to come up with many ideas that will make the character's adventures even more thrilling.

Comment

Even if the Strix can't form the kind of bond a Spirit would, it could try to imitate such with its natural abilities. An idea that comes to mind is letting the Strix inhabit a Werewolf body, with the host still in control. Uratha are spiritually malleable, so perhaps one could channel Dread Powers that the Strix possesses, or even develop new ones, such as turning into a shadow or sensing oncoming doom. Such a bond could permanently alter the character, having her exhale smoke while transformed, fuse her shadow with the Strix (dr Facilier style), turn her eye color golden, grant her an extra Vice, brand her with Strix Bans and Banes (to be farmed for Beats - be fair). The Strix may be altered as well. You can use the mechanics for a Totem, without it being a classical Totem.

~

Comment

Originally posted by Caedus View Post
                  the reason i am considering it is cuz the main character in a solo game i am running will have a strix following her, cuz it was born from the murder she committed during her first-change as she hunted down her ex hubbeh and killed him!. So the strix follows her around cuz it a new born lil bird and it appreciates the gusto of the murderizing she did in her death rage. It also doesn't sense any humanity in her((cuz harmony not humanity :P)). Since the strix is a newborn it will form it's personality from watching the main character who is a single mother and a homeless woman, so i think it will develop a very twisted caretaker sort of persona. Possessive or something similar will become it's vice!
                  Interesting I’ll like to see how that Develops,

Comment

One of the big issues with a non-spirit totem is that spirits usually act as an ambassador between the pack and other spirits. Spirit totems are native to the hisil, they may know power players in the area, even if they're no longer part of the social circle there, while a pack can't learn gifts from their totem, totems may know spirit rites that can be taught. A strix totem would not have any of that, with no inherent ties to the hisil and possibly not even knowing the hisil or spirits exist, as they're pretty much entirely physical.

For more information about the Strix, Rose Bailey put up a book of ideas about them on the storyteller vault that drove her development and writing.

Comment

I must say that a strix developing a special Embodiment that allows it to serve as a totem and practically embody itself in a Pack could be an interesting crossover material- especially if it could perform that Embodiment also in vampires. Perhaps the Weihan Cynn's golden eyed mystics were, in fact, tied all through such a "strix totem".

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Isn’t there a gyro that behaves that way?

WoD-Dark Eras!! (Backed for Viking Age Werewolf)

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                          One of the big issues with a non-spirit totem is that spirits usually act as an ambassador between the pack and other spirits. Spirit totems are native to the hisil, they may know power players in the area, even if they're no longer part of the social circle there, while a pack can't learn gifts from their totem, totems may know spirit rites that can be taught. A strix totem would not have any of that, with no inherent ties to the hisil and possibly not even knowing the hisil or spirits exist, as they're pretty much entirely physical.

For more information about the Strix, Rose Bailey put up a book of ideas about them on the storyteller vault that drove her development and writing.
                          So I remember eating that STV supplement of Rose's and now I have a question after reading through this thread. Wasn't it revealed that the Strix were indeed Spirits? Even if they don't really need the Shadow, shouldn't they work mostly like other Spirit Totems?

Due to Rose's supplement, I kind of considered the Strix somewhere between traditional Spirits, Hosts, and Idigam. Basically like traditional Spirits but they've done their own thing since a long time ago.

Side Note @OP, not saying anything against the idea. To be honest, no matter how you treat it for your game, I can see a lot of really great story moments and drama coming of it . Mostly seeing the consensus of the Strix being treated like any other Non-Spirit Totem rather than just like a Spirit Totem (but different) has me thinking I may have misread the STV document.

Frequent Story Teller for the Circle of Five gaming group.

Comment

Originally posted by xiongrey View Post
                            So I remember eating that STV supplement of Rose's and now I have a question after reading through this thread. Wasn't it revealed that the Strix were indeed Spirits? Even if they don't really need the Shadow, shouldn't they work mostly like other Spirit Totems?
                            It's more that they -were- spirits, and now are unrecognizable after being warped from what they were after thousands of years (which is why mechanically they're specifically not an ephemeral).

Comment

Originally posted by xiongrey View Post
                              I think she wrote that Strix used to be spirits, but they certainly aren't anymore. Not made out of ephemera, have no Rank, doesn't feed on or use Essence, can only access Twilight through a high-Shadow Potency Embodiment (which allows them to interact with both spirits and ghosts), etc. I haven't read what Rose wrote (because it's an unofficial supplement that costs seven times more per page (with a much larger font and spacing) than the actual core book) but it's clear to me that whatever happened to the spirits that became Strix has to have changed them on a fundamental level considering that any similarities to spirits are only superficial at this point.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                              Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                              Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Working...
                              X