[Moonshunned] Briar Wolves

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Moonshunned] Briar Wolves

This is the first draft of an idea that had been marinating in my head, inspired by some of the Ghost Wolves in Shunned by the Moon. I'll probably add on some more stuff later on as I refine the concept a bit.

Sometimes, the Hunt leads an Uratha down strange paths, Places-That-Aren’t filled with twisting thorns and enfleshed dreams. Linger too long, and even your superhuman senses might begin to falter as doubt and confusion take hold in your heart. Get lost in a maze of brambles, and something might come to your aid—a withered elf or grinning geode or dethroned queen. Accept help from strangers at your own risk: It’s not always obvious what they want in return, and even when the way forward is clear, you still may never go home again.

Systems
    • Werewolves gain the Hedge Denizen Condition the same way changelings and mortals do. As non-fae, they acquire three Goblin Contracts in the process. Use Essence instead of Glamour, and substitute Primal Urge for Wyrd.
    • The Hedge has no direct connection to the Shadow, and so a werewolf at Harmony 0 does not fade into the Hisil. If she ever reenters the real world, however, the standard rules apply. The Briar Wolf cannot gain Renown or Shadow Gifts from denizens of the Hedge; that said, Uratha who go deep enough into the Thorns sometimes come back out with strange, wondrous, and terrible Gifts unknown to the world of iron carved into their Essence.
    • A werewolf Returns to What Was by working off at least one point of Goblin Debt, and then taking an action that moves her Harmony one step closer to five. She keeps her Goblin Contracts, though now accrues Debt from their employment.
    • A werewolf Embraces What Might Be by failing two Breaking Points that move her Harmony away from five, then losing a Touchstone, either from willfully disconnecting herself, or in the normal fashion. She resolves Hedge Denizen and gains the Briar Wolf Condition. Curiously, only Ghost Wolves can take this step; the strength of the Tribal Bond keeps the Hedge from forming such an encompassing connection to the Uratha. Bale Hounds as well cannot become Briar Wolves.
    Briar Wolf (Persistent Condition)

The Hedge’s thorns have scratched their way into your Essence, and you find yourself shaped into a new type of predator, a Big Bad Wolf that stalks an oneiric veldt.
    • While this Condition is active, the werewolf cannot join a Tribe; her Essence has changed enough that the Firstborn cannot fasten their spiritual bond.
    • The Briar Wolf can gain Essence from hunting and feasting on fae creatures, whether hobgoblins, Hedge beasts, or even changelings. Biting into the prey’s flesh steals Glamour equal to successes rolled, converting it into Essence as it goes down the gullet.
    • At low Harmony, the Briar Wolf gains Frailties instead of Bans. The ones acquired at Harmony 4 & 2 are Minor Frailties, while Harmony 1 & 0 impose Major Frailties.
    • The werewolf can enact subtle shifts in the Hedge, spending Essence instead of Glamour.
    • The Briar Wolf cannot leave the Hedge, except by wrapping pieces of it as a mantle around her, to travel into the mortal realm or Arcadia for up to a number of hours per day equal to her Primal Urge. She still suffers the Deprived Condition in the real world.
    • The Hedge can impose the Siskur-Dah condition on the Briar Wolf with a paradigm shift. While under the effects of the Condition, the werewolf adds her quarry’s Wyrd to any dice pools to track or ferret out her prey.
    Resolution: The werewolf hunts down and devours a mortal in the Hedge. Alternatively, if the werewolf pays off five points of Goblin Debt, she resolves this Condition and gains Hedge Denizen once more.

Beat: The Briar Wolf’s player allows the Hedge to impose the Siskur-Dah Condition without a roll, once per chapter.

What is the connection between Briar Wolves and the notorious hobgoblins of the same name (sans the space, anyway)? No one knows. Maybe one becomes the other over a sufficient length of time. Maybe their Hedge-bound counterparts are the consequence of millennia of Uratha influence on the human psyche. Briarwolves will gladly let Briar Wolves join their packs, and always treat them with the courteous respect of a fellow predator, unless the Uratha does something to displease them. In fact, Briarwolves with a Briar Wolf in their pack enjoy all the benefits of being werewolf packmates for the purposes of Gifts, Merits, and so on. A few tall tales whispered around Goblin Market stalls even tell of such packs finding a way to take a Hedge ghost for a Totem. Some Briar Wolves get domesticated, finding themselves pressed into the service of a Goblin Queen, or worse. The Gentry might be enamored of a werewolf’s wild spirit, but. . . they wouldn’t dare. Would they?
    Last edited by espritdecalmar; 02-26-2020, 06:14 PM.

I really like this.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her (I saw the Chief Technology Officer for a big company do this so I guess I’ll do it too).

Comment

This would be a really good way for a Ghost Wolf to forge their own identity apart from the restrictive archetypes imposed by the tribes (at least, that’s how Ghost Wolves might see it).

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her (I saw the Chief Technology Officer for a big company do this so I guess I’ll do it too).

Comment

I love this as well, though I'd love to see it as losing an Auspice instead of (or in addition to) a Tribe. Even the name moonshunned implies they're not quite in Luna's good graces. Replace their Auspice with Briar, and let them buy a contract per dot of their "Moon Gift" or something.

In any event, this is awesome. Cheers.

My ideas are bad and I should feel bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
          This would be a really good way for a Ghost Wolf to forge their own identity apart from the restrictive archetypes imposed by the tribes (at least, that’s how Ghost Wolves might see it).
          I'm glad you like it. That's an interesting idea. In general I find myself intrigued by the notion of Uratha putting their natural bonding instincts & abilities to more extracurricular uses.

Originally posted by Kvark
          I love this as well, though I'd love to see it as losing an Auspice instead of (or in addition to) a Tribe. Even the name moonshunned implies they're not quite in Luna's good graces. Replace their Auspice with Briar, and let them buy a contract per dot of their "Moon Gift" or something.

In any event, this is awesome. Cheers.
          Thanks. I hadn't even considered how the Thorns might affect a werewolf's Auspice. The "Moonshunned" title is just a reference to the Night Horrors book, as I really liked its explorations of some of the strange things that can happen to Ghost Wolves (and the writing for 2nd edition in general keeps giving me ideas for ways in which werewolves can go if not wrong, then odd). I'd have to mull over all the implications of the Hedge ripping out the Auspice (Would their silver bane become worse, like with the Pure? Would they develop a bane of iron in its stead?), but this could be a cool development.

Comment

Might I use this in my own games? It's too sweet to NOT use, to be honest...

Comment

Originally posted by Demigod Beast View Post
              Might I use this in my own games? It's too sweet to NOT use, to be honest...
              Go for it. I'm very flattered.

Comment

I love well-thought-out crossover, and this is well-thought-out.

Do you have plans for further such "Moonshunned"?

Comment

Originally posted by Demigod Beast View Post
                  I love well-thought-out crossover, and this is well-thought-out.

Do you have plans for further such "Moonshunned"?
                  Sort of. I really enjoy this angle Second Edition Forsaken has been pushing of just how strange werewolves can be, with more of an emphasis their being shapeshifting horrors. I've got a few other scattered ideas I'd like to develop further at some point in the future, so who knows?

Comment

Uratha tainted by the Abyss would be positively Stone Age-era Lovecraftian..

Comment

Tindlosi, eating space-time and shitting Z̸͎̑̈́̓̽͑͌̿̑́̒̿͐ȁ̶͕͓̳̭͈̤̗̼̀̂ĺ̶̜̰̲̰̤͕̗̩̩̯̬͈̰́̄̉̆͝g ̶̧̛̠̥̥̭͈̥̯̲̜̳̲̱ȯ̴̡̢̧̳͖̪̫͔̦̱̣̙̪̺̈́̆͊̎͌͊͜͝.

Comment

Ghost Wolves that try to take an Angel for a totem and start shifting into bio-mechanical horrors seems like a cool-ass plot hook.

Comment

So would an Uratha somehow connected to Duat. Corpse-witch werewolves with alien Gifts commanding dust and time!

Comment

Working...
                          X