[2E] How to get Essence?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2E] How to get Essence?

So in my game, I see the Essence can become very large issue, quickly. How Uratha and Wolf-Blooded can get Essence? Are there any ideas beside those in 2E corebook?

Corebook points those Essence sources for Uratha ( WtF 2E, page 100):
    • They can absorb Essence through the wellspring of a locus. In the physical realm, this means physically touching the the locus at its heart. In Hisil, this means devouring the strange bits of meat and vegetation that appear near the locus.
    • The Sacred Hunt rite, the Siskur-Dah, allows a pack to hunt and devour spirits in the Hisil. When eaten, the spirit’s Essence flows through the Uratha.
    • They can eat the flesh of wolves and humans. For every point of damage caused by an Uratha’s bite, they can choose to ingest the flesh and gain a point of Essence. This is a stark violation of the Oath of the Moon, and always a Harmony breaking point toward the spirit. When devouring flesh for Essence, the Uratha causes aggravated wounds.
    • Fetishes store Essence. By destroying a fetish, the Uratha can take the Essence within.
    • The first time an Uratha sees her auspice moon at night, she gains a point of Essence.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 04-03-2020, 11:55 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Aren't they supposed to do the Siskur-Dah fairly often? Wolf gotta hunt after all.

You've been playing around the magic that is black
    But all the powerful magical mysteries never gave a single thing back

Comment

You most often get them via loci, then sacred hunts or eating flesh.

Comment

I don't remember, is there a Tell that grants an Essence pool to a Wolf-Blooded? If there is, then that Tell should probably describe a way for the WB to gain Essence.

Bloodline: The Stygians
        Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
        Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

I know they have a Tell to produce Essence.. I think the Primal Urge one gives them an essence pool, but I’ll have to check The Pack book

Comment

Essence is meant to be a limited resource. Uratha should choose what they spend it on wisely. If they need more, go hunt.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Would lower spirits - Rank 0 or 1 - be enough to sate Uratha? When most areas are under thumbs of spirits of Rank 2-4, maybe hunting low Rank spirits will not been seeing as too much 'war-mongering' by Uratha in area? It surely would not be Harmony Breaking Point?

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
              LGBT+ through Ages
              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                Would lower spirits - Rank 0 or 1 - be enough to sate Uratha? When most areas are under thumbs of spirits of Rank 2-4, maybe hunting low Rank spirits will not been seeing as too much 'war-mongering' by Uratha in area? It surely would not be Harmony Breaking Point?
                It depends. With a sacred hunt, Essence is split among pack members. A Rank 0 spirit has a max of 5 Essence. That could be one Essence per packmate, one member getting 5 and others getting 0. The more powerful the spirit the more Essence (unless it's been used up) and the more you can spread it around.

The book says, 'doing so is usually a breaking point toward Spirit and is seen as disrespectful if done without good reason.' It's up to you to decide if 'I was hungry' is a good reason.

Comment

A very wise friend of mine addressed this in a game once by making auspice gifts cost 1 essence less to activate, all the way up to being free. I liked it, gave me a little more juice to work with. Another alternative is to embrace cannibalism and make it more palatable ingame so you're not automatically on the path toward becoming Zi'ir, but yeah otherwise Essence is kind of limited as a resource and you can end up burning a lot of it in Werewolf. I personally find hunting spirits kind of tedious, so you can off-screen that stuff too if you're the ST to help things move alone.

Comment

Loci generate (3*Rating) Essence per day. If you’re having Essence problems, find or grow yourself a better locus.

Comment

Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
                      Loci generate (3*Rating) Essence per day. If you’re having Essence problems, find or grow yourself a better locus.
                      Seriously. Loci are usually a core element of a werewolf territory.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post
                        Essence is meant to be a limited resource. Uratha should choose what they spend it on wisely. If they need more, go hunt.
                        Not so limited then, really

Comment

As far as I can gather, wyrdhamster's game revolves around a Contagion that effects werewolves and makes them lose Essence. It might also make them rage when they're at 0 Essence, because they seem to hunger for it. So he may be looking for a way for them to avoid or deal with the raging hunger.

A Siskur-Dah is a good idea, but can be a problem if you need to pull them off every day, just like a locus is a great reserve but not if you're eating more than it fills. Humans have the same problem as spirits, eating too many can raise eyebrows among their community.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                            As far as I can gather, wyrdhamster's game revolves around a Contagion that effects werewolves and makes them lose Essence. It might also make them rage when they're at 0 Essence, because they seem to hunger for it. So he may be looking for a way for them to avoid or deal with the raging hunger.
                            Basically, yes. More true as our PCs 'patient zero' is already on Essence 0, so things will escalate quickly on next game session.

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                            A Siskur-Dah is a good idea, but can be a problem if you need to pull them off every day, just like a locus is a great reserve but not if you're eating more than it fills. Humans have the same problem as spirits, eating too many can raise eyebrows among their community.
                            More than that in Constantinopole in 800s setting I run. Queen of Cities is under Pure control - and even if they let Forsaken run things in lower strata of societies - when Forsaken are hunting spirits on left and right, I suspect Ivory Claws and Predatory Kings dispatch 'police' that will Siskur-Dah you. Pure are much more in friendly relations with Spirits Lords, in the end. And when Forsaken eat half a sprit's court, they Lords will be concerned.

LGBT+ through Ages
                            LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                              More than that in Constantinopole in 800s setting I run. Queen of Cities is under Pure control - and even if they let Forsaken run things in lower strata of societies - when Forsaken are hunting spirits on left and right, I suspect Ivory Claws and Predatory Kings dispatch 'police' that will Siskur-Dah you. Pure are much more in friendly relations with Spirits Lords, in the end. And when Forsaken eat half a sprit's court, they Lords will be concerned.
                              In that case you can supplement your spirit diet with Pure. Eat the rich.

Comment

Working...
                              X