[2E] Sacred Hunt Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2E] Sacred Hunt Questions

Dwelling deeper into topic of sacredest of rituals for Uratha - Siskur-Dah - some unknowns rise with my players to begin with...

1. How precise Prey must be marked and hunted? If broad category is okay - like Rat Spirits? If then taking Hosts, instead of Spirit, of the same kind as stated prey is okay? Hosts are flesh and spirits hybrids, yes? So if I hunt Rat Spirit, in broad term, would killing Rat Host count as fulfilling Sacred Hunt or not?
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 04-06-2020, 02:55 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
    Dwelling deeper into topic of sacredest of rituals for Ueatha - Siskur-Dah - some unknowns rise with my players to begin with...

1. How precise Prey must be marked and hunted? If broad category is okay - like Rat Spirits? If then taking Hosts, instead of Spirit, of the same kind as stated prey is okay? Hosts are flesh and spirits hybrids, yes? So if I hunt Rat Spirit, in broad term, would killing Rat Host count as fulfilling Sacred Hunt or not?
    An individual or a group, which does not need precise details or names.

A spirit is not a Host any more than a human is a werewolf. This is a hunt — you are pursuing an indicated prey in a spiritually significant fashion, not wandering around in search of rattish-looking things to take down a rat-spirit.

You as a ritualist have to be able to identify the prey to the participating werewolves. That means you don't need a driver's license or an intimate secret, but you do need to be able to say "this is what we're hunting" and have that answer be reasonably concrete in the narrative. "The rat-king in the abandoned parking garage." "The gang on Third Street." "Whatever it is that tore Billy's arm off last week." Something that is something.

Resident Lore-Hound
    Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
      An individual or a group, which does not need precise details or names.

A spirit is not a Host any more than a human is a werewolf. This is a hunt — you are pursuing an indicated prey in a spiritually significant fashion, not wandering around in search of rattish-looking things to take down a rat-spirit.
      Okay, but what are viable Prey targets for the Siskur-Dah then? 'Any Rat Spirit', 'Rat Court members in area' or 'Rat-The-Resilient, Lord of the Constantinopole Sewers'? I look for most broad interpretation here.

Of course, naming Prey is working with the Rite. But would pointing 'Any of Rat-the-Resilient children' would also work? There are only handful - well, maybe dozen - of spirits like those, in the end.
      Last edited by wyrdhamster; 04-06-2020, 04:03 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
      LGBT+ through Ages
      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Okay, but what are viable Prey targets for the Siskur-Dah then?
        Anything that you can name, be it rat spirits at large, or a single rat-spirit.

Dam da namsithim.

Comment

It still needs to be a specified prey or group of prey since the Sacred Hunt rite applies a supernatural effect on all targets. You can't say "rat spirits" (unless you intend to hunt literally all rat spirits) but you can say "the rat spirits plaguing this territory" in order to specify a group.
          You also can't say "any of the rat spirits plaguing this territory" because it can't be ambiguous whether any given member of that group is prey or not. You need to specify which one of them if you only want to hunt one individual, or you need to hunt the entire group. Fortunately, you don't necessarily have to fight the entire group that is marked as prey. You could bring down just one of the rat spirits, thereby setting an example for the rest of them, and consider the hunt to be over.
          You can play around with the wording of the group in order to make it more or less specific. If there are rat spirits not affiliated with Rat-the-Resilient then you could say "the rat spirits of Rat-the-Resilient's court" in order to exclude them, or you could define the prey as "the rat creatures plaguing this territory" in order to hunt both rat spirits and rat hosts. But don't get overly pedantic about the wording. It's pretty obvious that regular rats aren't intended even if they're technically "rat creatures".

Bloodline: The Stygians
          Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
          Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

2. Can Siskur-Dah Rite be performed in Hisil? I assume yes, but it would be dangerous to perform, with spirits and other dangers? ( Probably more general Rites question, but still crucial to the utility of Siskur-Dah )
            Last edited by wyrdhamster; 04-15-2020, 05:24 AM.

LGBT+ through Ages
            LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Yes, it can.

Comment

3. If I declare Prey of Siskur-Dah as broad group - like 'spirit children of Rat-the-Resilient' - I need to hunt ALL of it's members to resolve Siskur-Dah Condition? Or only one member of group? Or if I hunt only one member - the Condition will be broken, as hunt is unsuccessful?
                Last edited by wyrdhamster; 04-17-2020, 10:28 AM.

LGBT+ through Ages
                LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

3. If I declare Prey of Siskur-Dah as broad group - like 'spirit children of Rat-the-Resilient' - I need to hunt ALL of it's members to resolve Siskur-Dah Condition? Or only one member of group? Or if I hunt only one member - the Condition will be broken, as hunt is unsuccessful?
                  If you define a broad group, you have to bring down that whole group. You can hunt just one member, but bringing them down won’t give a successful end to the hunt because you have many more.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Getting an answer from a dev is pretty nice, but you could've also checked three posts above yours.

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post
                    If you define a broad group, you have to bring down that whole group. You can hunt just one member, but bringing them down won’t give a successful end to the hunt because you have many more.
                    ​I think it could still be possible to hunt only one member of a group, but defeating that member needs to be a victory over the group as a whole. The most obvious example would be to declare the hunt on a group and take down that group's leader in order to scare the rest into submission or retreat. It'd also depend on the goal of the hunt, imo. Scaring away a group of invaders from your territory is one thing (since then you would've thwarted their attempt at invasion, thereby defeating them), but if the group is in a territory you don't care about then it has only relocated and is merely weakened rather than defeated.

Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                      Getting an answer from a dev is pretty nice, but you could've also checked three posts above yours.
                      It's wyrdhamster. This is what he does.

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                      ​I think it could still be possible to hunt only one member of a group, but defeating that member needs to be a victory over the group as a whole. The most obvious example would be to declare the hunt on a group and take down that group's leader in order to scare the rest into submission or retreat. It'd also depend on the goal of the hunt, imo. Scaring away a group of invaders from your territory is one thing (since then you would've thwarted their attempt at invasion, thereby defeating them), but if the group is in a territory you don't care about then it has only relocated and is merely weakened rather than defeated.
                      Sure, but if you call a Hunt against an entire group there's a significant difference between taking down one member and wanting that to count as a successful hunt, and taking down a specific member that will bring the rest of the group down. One of these things satisfies the spiritual pact you've made, the other doesn't.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Originally posted by Bunyip View Post
                        Sure, but if you call a Hunt against an entire group there's a significant difference between taking down one member and wanting that to count as a successful hunt, and taking down a specific member that will bring the rest of the group down. One of these things satisfies the spiritual pact you've made, the other doesn't.
                        So hunting one member that leads to downing all other other - like leader - can end successfully Hunt. But taking random, regular member of the group does not fulfill it, you need to Hunt still all other members of group to end Siskur-Dah successfully - correct?

LGBT+ through Ages
                        LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

If you're trying to bring down the Illuminati, you gotta bring down the Illuminati. If you know the head of it, or one member, and only want to bring them down, then hunt them, not their entire group.

All that said, there's no mechanical punishment for calling off s hunt, but the whole thing being Sacred, werewolves shouldn't treat it like going shopping, 'oh I brought down one member, that's just as good'
                          Last edited by nofather; 04-18-2020, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Wait, leading question coming...

4. If I break or call of Sacred Hunt in motion I got Breaking Point on my Harmony? If yes, on what side - to Spirit or to Flesh?
                            Last edited by wyrdhamster; 04-19-2020, 10:39 AM.

LGBT+ through Ages
                            LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

4. If I break or call of Sacred Hunt in motion I got Breaking Point on my Harmony?
                              Hunts can fail, and breaking off a failed hunt should be natural. But if you break it off without a good reason it could count as refusing to participate in a Sacred Hunt.

If yes, on what side - to Spirit or to Flesh?
                              To which side is it a Breaking Point to not hunt often enough as determined by your Primal Urge, or to refuse to participate in a Sacred Hunt?
                              Last edited by Tessie; 04-19-2020, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X