No announcement yet.

[2E] Sacred Hunt Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5. How could mental-social searches work like Sacred Hunt in the setting? My players are looking for the Cure on the local Contagion and I feel that this should work as proper Sacred Hunt - I just cannot imagine how looking around into old manuscripts and asking spirits and other monsters would work as proper Hunt in the game...

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
      I just cannot imagine how looking around into old manuscripts and asking spirits and other monsters would work as proper Hunt in the game...
      Those are valid actions in all Sacred Hunts, as long as it furthers the goal of the hunt. The problem I have is that the Sacred Hunt rite assumes you only hunt actual entities rather than objects or information. I would err on the side of the players and tell them that they can choose the Contagion itself as a target of the Sacred Hunt, and finding (and distributing!) a cure for it would be a valid way of defeating the Contagion.

Bloodline: The Stygians
      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
        The problem I have is that the Sacred Hunt rite assumes you only hunt actual entities rather than objects or information.
        I remember vaguely reading about example Hunts on new districts or bypass projects in 2E corebook. Will check it out...

EDIT - Found one!

Originally posted by WtF 2E, p.66
        Protectorates overcome challenges too great or too abstract for any one pack to meet. For example, the city’s corrupt political machine condemns the most rundown, minority-in-habited neighborhoods to drug-ridden destitution. A single pack finds it difficult to deal with the result; the spirits are too many, grown fat on sickness-born Essence. Beshilu thrive in moldy basements, and the people are apathetic or violent. A pack can’t just kill its way to its goals there. Simply ripping a wicked mayor apart just opens the door for an even worse replacement.

A protectorate can devote multiple packs to the cause. They cull the worst elements like wolves choosing prey from the herd. Removing corrupt politicians is one part of it, and so is the hunting of the mayor’s unscrupulous lawyers, the dirty cops running a drug racket out of the evidence room, and the greed spirits that feast on all of them. Multiple packs hit these elements simultaneously, striking when they are at their most vulnerable. The packs hunt like wolves but plan and communicate like insurgent cells.
        Last edited by wyrdhamster; 06-19-2020, 01:54 PM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
        LGBT+ through Ages
        LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

First edition had Max Roman searching across the globe for a secret to what is the Gurdilag (an idigam) and how to defeat it. There's plenty of examples of mental or social hunts one could use as inspirational material, Indiana Jones jumps to mind pretty easily. And of course there's no reason why a hunt for a long lost secret would have to be an entirely non-physical one. Especially with the Contagion in play, there are known factions who also seek the answers to it, and want to control that knowledge rather than have it be used to cure the Contagion, so it's not like there won't be room for antagonists in the hunt.

Comment

Okay, but
            6. HOW to make it work in the game terms? I plan to run this whole 'mental Hunt' as Investigation Rules from CoD Rulebook.

Question is then not open -
            7. What should be Siskur-Dah target, precisely - Contagion at large ( and what it means then ) or 'healing our packmate Fiske from Contagion'? ( Examples will be from my Vikings Werewolf game. )

The Hunt target interpretation here is crucial, I think, as much of Uratha mechanics are based on Siskur-Dah, it will point what most scenes will be. There are two factors to be taken on this:
            A. Logical resolution.
            B. Mechanics implications.

From story perspective, for A target of Siskur-Dah should be 'healing packmate Fiske', followed by 'healing packmate Bjarni', etc. However, once we have Cure, we can apply to others rather easily.

8. Is this second Hunt really the Hunt for information if you more or less know what you are doing? But you still fight for the life of your next packmate, don't you?

From mechanical perspective, B maybe much more working in the game context - but also leading to much more chaos.
            9. When Siskur-Dah target is Contagion itself - does it mean that you can mechaniclly 'hunt' everyone stricken by it? HOW the Hunt ( as Condition ) will be resolved then? When you cure/kill those that have it? In your pack, in the city, on whole Earth? What would be scope then of applying Siskur-Dah?

Side note: When going for the Investigation rules as Sacred Hunt, I probably have one idea of Cure as Clues to collect for it. As I need to make this rather quick game finale, I will probably stick to 2 Clues per one Cure alternative.
            Last edited by wyrdhamster; 06-20-2020, 02:37 AM.

LGBT+ through Ages
            LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

You have a lot of different questions going on here.

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
              Okay, but HOW to make it work in the game terms? I plan to run this whole 'mental Hunt' as Investigation Rules from CoD Rulebook.
              Then you plan on using the Investigation system. Another option would be mapping out some more specific points for the players to reach, like taking a ring on a journey to throw it in a distant volcano.

Question is then not open - What should be Siskur-Dah target, precisely - Contagion at large ( and what it means then ) or 'healing our packmate Fiske from Contagion'? ( Examples will be from my Vikings Werewolf game. )
              That's up to the players to decide, but those are very different targets. 'Contagion' at large is a plot device, and something that could imply a life-long hunt across the world for every incidence of Contagion, or could only appear in one place in one time in your setting and be eradicated forever with a single deed. Healing your packmate, or even healing everyone affected by this outbreak, are also very different.

The Hunt target interpretation here is crucial, I think, as much of Uratha mechanics are based on Siskur-Dah, it will point what most scenes will be. There are two factors to be taken on this:
              A. Logical resolution.
              B. Mechanics implications.

From story perspective, for A target of Siskur-Dah should be 'healing packmate Fiske', followed by 'healing packmate Bjarni', etc. However, once we have Cure, we can apply to others rather easily. Is this second Hunt really the Hunt for information if you more or less know what you are doing? But you still fight for the life of your next packmate, don't you?
              A cure for a werewolf, even a pack of werewolves, does not mean it is something that can be used on others. If the cure involves eating some obscure healing spirit, it's not something everyone else can partake of. If it involves finding some ancestor spirit that was a master of werewolf healing, it has no reason to want to go around healing a bunch of strangers who didn't bother to hunt for it. If they're just healing their packmates, then 'A way to heal our pack,' but if they want to heal everyone affected by your outbreak, then they should be hunting for a more broadly used cure.

From mechanical perspective, B maybe much more working in the game context - but also leading to much more chaos. When Siskur-Dah target is Contagion itself - does it mean that you can mechaniclly 'hunt' everyone stricken by it? HOW the Hunt ( as Condition ) will be resolved then? When you cure/kill those that have it? In your pack, in the city, on whole Earth? What would be scope then of applying Siskur-Dah?
              The Contagion is a plot device, whose existence depends on the storyteller. But hunting down everyone stricken with it would only make sense if they were, for some reason, trying to kill everyone with whatever symptoms you've whipped up. Every Contagion has a Cause, usually revolving around a specific entity, event, or area, and most have a Cure that involves 'making right' whatever happened there, or destroying some sort of key point that the Contagion is spreading from.

It's worth keeping in mind that while a lot of mechanics revolve around hunting in general, there's not a lot of mechanics that rely on the Sacred Hunt specifically. There's five Moon Gifts, specifically the third dot in each Auspice. Of them, four of them work against obstacles in the Siskur-Dah. The only one that requires a living target (or at least one capable of sleep) is the third dot in Gibbous Moon, which allows you to sense and harry the dreams of the target.
              Last edited by nofather; 06-19-2020, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X