Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can Ephemeral Entities do in Twilight?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can Ephemeral Entities do in Twilight?

In Twilight a Spirit or other Ephemeral Entity is technically on this side of the Gauntlet and does not need the reaching condition correct? So it can use influences on material beings to change the resonant condition to Open or does it need reaching to do so? How about Numina like Blast? Can a spirit use Blast while invisible in twilight on something in the flesh or must it be materialized to do so? I think it can use telekisis since that numina says a spirit does not need to be manifested. But a Spirit in twilight still suffers essence bleed and ought to fetter itself to something in the material world to stay here correct?

Reaching is only for applying powers across the Gauntlet, which is why only spirits have access to Reaching in the first place.

All Influences and Numina can be used on material things and beings while in Twilight, unless otherwise noted. (By which I mean some Numina might require interacting with the target in a way that is impossible from Twilight.)

Yes, spirits suffer Essence bleed unless they use an appropriate Manifestation to stave that off for a while. Fetter and Claim are the two best ways to do so. Possession also works, but the duration is so short it'd risk spending more Essence than it would prevent losing through Essence bleed.
    Note that this only applies to spirits. Angels and ghosts only needs to be close to their Infrastructure and Anchor Conditions, respectively. Resonant does not offer the same safe zone to spirits.

Bloodline: The Stygians
    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

That is pretty scary, that a spirit can smite an enemy while being invisible and insubstantial to flesh is pretty overpowered. Having a Bone Shadow in the pack is essential, but I wonder how packs without a bone Shadow or an Ithaeur can cope with hostile Spirits. I guess the same applies to packs without a Storm Lord as well, half of the town could be urged and the pack might not be aware of it. Since packs are seldom perfect some of these blind spots can be quite frightening.

Comment

Some people do rule that Blast is one of the Numina that requires interaction with the target in a way that is impossible from Twilight. They see it as the Blast originating from the entity, thus the Blast is in Twilight if the entity is in Twilight. I think that is contradicted by the given examples. How you interpret it is up to your discretion.

Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
          Reaching is only for applying powers across the Gauntlet, which is why only spirits have access to Reaching in the first place.
          If "Reaching" is the ability to reach across the Gauntlet, can a being on our side Reach back into the Twilight and reach the Spirit?

Comment

Originally posted by KieranMullen View Post
            If "Reaching" is the ability to reach across the Gauntlet, can a being on our side Reach back into the Twilight and reach the Spirit?
            A spirit in the Flesh (doesn't matter if it's in Twilight or Materialised) can use Reaching to apply Influences and Numina in the Shadow.

Comment

Regarding Blast, I would imagine that, since everything in the real world is murky and hazy, a Spirit will probably miss or not see what he is trying to shoot at.

Comment

If you're going to have Blast behave as an attack (rather than the "you take successes damage" type power that it is) you're better off ruling that it stays on the same "level" as the spirit. It's much more believable that the spirit can only Blast things in Twilight when it is in Twilight than the spirit always missing due to poor visibility.

Comment

The important thing is the strengthen influence, simply because that is what will turn resonant to the open condition which is a pre-requisite for most other manifestations. Since most spirits probably dont have reaching, I assume being in twilight is enough to use an influence in the material world.

Comment

Originally posted by maryshelly View Post
                    The important thing is the strengthen influence, simply because that is what will turn resonant to the open condition which is a pre-requisite for most other manifestations. Since most spirits probably dont have reaching, I assume being in twilight is enough to use an influence in the material world.
                    All Influences and Numina can be used on material things and beings while in Twilight, unless otherwise noted. (By which I mean some Numina might require interacting with the target in a way that is impossible from Twilight.)
                    You're either in the Shadow or in the Flesh (material world), and you can use your powers freely in the realm you're in. (Reaching allows you to use Influences and certain Numina in the other realm.)
                    Twilight only makes it so that you can't physically interact (and communicate, generally) with non-Twilight, which only prohibits powers that require that kind of interaction. It is not a different realm (unless you're playing Mummy, but that doesn't affect spirits).

Comment

Note that this only applies to spirits. Angels and ghosts only needs to be close to their Infrastructure and Anchor Conditions, respectively. Resonant does not offer the same safe zone to spirits.
                      It either applies to everything except ghosts or ghosts are just the only one whose base Condition specifies a range for their exemption from Essence bleed; Infrastructure offers different benefits to angels operating near it, but it likewise lacks the specification about Essence bleed that Anchor does. Personally I read it as the latter.

Resident Lore-Hound
                      Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Infrastructure protects angels without a cover from Essence bleed. Angels with a cover are protected from Essence balled anyway by their cover.

Writer. Developer. World of Darkness | Chronicles of Darkness | The Trinity Continuum

Comment

Working...
                        X