Incite Fury in Werewolf on Werewolf clashes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incite Fury in Werewolf on Werewolf clashes

One of the fury gifts, the one for Wisdom, is incite fury which enables a werewolf to call out another werewolf and force them into the Soft Rage or Wasu-ilm. This strikes me as being a very powerful and devastating attack on a rival werewolf pack. Basically one pack can use this gift when in earshot of another pack, force one of their members into a rage, then run away and come back after the carnage has basically demolished the territory of the afflicted pack (not to mention, probably wiping out a few pack members in the attempt). I would imagine that some Pure Packs like the Predator Kings or the Fire Touched would have a field day using this gift in forsaken territories and basically demolishing them, or even weakening protectorates. Would that be a viable strategy or would there be some way to counter it?

First of all, you would have to expose yourself to the other pack, and there's no guarantee you'd be able to run away. It's also fully possible that the enemy werewolf pulls out of Wasu-Im, in which case no carnage would ensue at all. Additionally, it's not really going to have any effect except inconvenience unless you're targeting the enemy pack when they're in an area where they would care about collateral damage. You mention losing pack members, but that's relatively easy to avoid.

Bloodline: The Stygians
    Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
    Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by maryshelly View Post
      One of the fury gifts, the one for Wisdom, is incite fury which enables a werewolf to call out another werewolf and force them into the Soft Rage or Wasu-ilm. This strikes me as being a very powerful and devastating attack on a rival werewolf pack. Basically one pack can use this gift when in earshot of another pack, force one of their members into a rage, then run away and come back after the carnage has basically demolished the territory of the afflicted pack (not to mention, probably wiping out a few pack members in the attempt). I would imagine that some Pure Packs like the Predator Kings or the Fire Touched would have a field day using this gift in forsaken territories and basically demolishing them, or even weakening protectorates. Would that be a viable strategy or would there be some way to counter it?

While triggering werewolves into rage is a viable strategy, it's sort of a weak one as yes there are ways to counter it, especially from a standpoint of Pure using it against Forsaken. In this case the most obvious is the Half Moon's auspice ability to shut down Kuruth.

But aside from that, there's the infectious nature of the rage, so that if one member begins to rage, another member may follow suit and since raging packmembers don't attack other raging packmembers you wouldn't have as much an issue, at least regarding them killing each other. There's also the point that Wasu-Im can be very long, giving a Harmony 5 werewolf up to 15 minutes of time to do things like get away, warn others, move to the Hisil, or try to tamp down their rage, which is another point. In addition to any werewolf being capable of breaking out of rage while in Wasu-Im by rolling an exceptional success on their resistance, there's a variety of options that act to make it easier (Chain Rage, Still Small Voice, Controlled Rage). The farther you are from Harmony 5, the less time you have to try these things, but even at the extreme edges of Harmony 0 and 10 you have enough for an instant action.

The other flaw to the power comes from the instigators side. It's not just an ability you can use at range without the targets even knowing you exist, they have to hear the 'mocking or challenging snarl' you make to instigate the rage. Given that the target may have a lot of time to close the gap between target and instigator, and represents an apex predator with tremendous tracking skills, it's possible that for the most part the one who uses the Gift is going to be one of the first to regret doing so.

Again, like I said in the first place, it's a viable strategy. But it's not nearly the nuclear option it may seem. You're bound to find werewolves who do nothing to sort out Harmony or work on protecting their triggers, or find a target that is in a position where they can't do anything about it, but the bulk of the Gifts bonus seemed to be that when used against non-werewolves it causes the Berserk Condition, which would keep them from running from a fight with a werewolf in gauru, and potentially keep them from fighting at their optimum ability.

Comment

Both valid points. I reckon it can still work because it can be done at range. A pure werewolf can get to the edge of the territory, yell out to a pack member, then he can his pack can change to their wolf forms and run away until the rage wears off (since they are all werewolves they would know what is going on).

Sure the half moon can calm down rage, but what if he is the one being targeted. I am sure the Pure would consider doing that to cripple the pack.

Sure Wasu-ilm allows for a werewolf to regain control, but the whole system seems stacked against that. Since a roll must be made per turn, he would get only about 3 seconds of time before blowing up in a rage. Besides, if the werewolf in Wasu-Ilm does run away from his packmates then the pure has essentially split the pack. Who says that you cannot try it on another pack member and keep picking off individual members.

Once a pack member flies into a rage, I am sure that it is a tactical inconvenience for the target pack to say the least. If they do try to constrain their raging packmate, they might sustain enormous damage in the meantime. Plus...rage is contagious and it is possible that all of them will fly into a rage of Basu Ilm…

...meanwhile..for the Pure who instigated this, I would assume that they can flee in wolf forms and find a place to watch, or at least hear, the fireworks. At this point all they would need to do is wait for the rage to wear off before going in for the kill. Also, if this was done in a populated area I am sure that the humans would send a response which the Pure can use to their advantage as well.

Comment

Originally posted by maryshelly View Post
          Sure Wasu-ilm allows for a werewolf to regain control, but the whole system seems stacked against that. Since a roll must be made per turn, he would get only about 3 seconds of time before blowing up in a rage. Besides, if the werewolf in Wasu-Ilm does run away from his packmates then the pure has essentially split the pack. Who says that you cannot try it on another pack member and keep picking off individual members.
          That's 3 seconds at Harmony 10 or 0. At Harmony 7 you have a 60 seconds. At Harmony 5 you have 900 seconds.

The basic point is that rage is not an unknown for werewolves, and any werewolf who has been around enough to join a tribe (or decide to eschew doing so and be a ghost wolf) would be aware of that. Also without having access to the Half Moon Auspice, Pure are more vulnerable to this than Forsaken.
          Last edited by nofather; 07-21-2020, 04:45 PM.

Comment

So, it was mentioned by nofather, but I want to add that Still Small Voice is pretty much a hard counter to this strategy. Anyone can have it, it stops Wasu-Im with a contested roll, it can theoretically target the entire pack, and its use is only restricted by how much Essence a character has. Combined with Wasu-Im's length, and that is a lot of opportunity to just fizzle out a rage bomb. Especially because Incite Fury can only target a given werewolf once per scene.

Sure, it doesn't help if nobody in the pack has the Facet, or the only one with it is targeted, but it is difficult to know that unless you do a lot of legwork first. It is another unknown that makes rushing into the heart of a rival pack's domain and snarling at them in the hopes of catching them in a vulnerable state thirty minutes [or more] later really risky.
            Honestly, it would be smarter for the Pure [or Forsaken] to try and get someone with Incite Fury while they're alone, denying them anyone who might be able to knock them out of it should they fail to resist. It becomes a harrying tactic, which feels more appropriate for pack-hunting apex predators.
            Plus, you don't have to divide your attention if your "victim" happens to have a bunch of Facets that auto-activate in Basu-Im. Running away in Urhan is a lot harder when a raging Gauru werewolf is rocketing after you at double its normal Speed.
            Last edited by SomethingFishy; 07-23-2020, 03:22 AM.

Consistently Inconsistent
            Website
            She/Her

Comment

Both valid points. I reckon it can still work because it can be done at range. A pure werewolf can get to the edge of the territory, yell out to a pack member, then he can his pack can change to their wolf forms and run away until the rage wears off (since they are all werewolves they would know what is going on).

Sure the half moon can calm down rage, but what if he is the one being targeted. I am sure the Pure would consider doing that to cripple the pack.
              I think you are overlooking an important part of how this gift is worded

This Facet may be used against a single target that the Uratha can perceive
              So the person using the gift has to be able to clearly perceive their target - likely meaning they are within about a dozen metres in your typical urban setting. Being that close to a raging enemy Werewolf is dangerous at the best of times, and as SomethingFishy said, god help you if they happen to have Predator's Unmatched Pursuit.

Comment

Working...
              X