Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fallen-Lost: Spirits of Extinct Animals

This Story is True

Humans are a scourge on the earth. Consider, for a moment, a farm. It is kept in order by farmers and sheepdogs, and the ever-present threat of wolves in the forest.But when you take away the wolves and the fences and all the other controls on them. They have nothing to limit them, they'll eat all the grass the plants and render the lands barren.

Such is what has happened to humanity, the wolves have grown lax and no longer keep the sheep out of the wolves. And nothing illustrates this better then the Fallen Lost. When man first learned to make spears, and stone axes and other tools, they turned to the wilderness and sought to master it. In those days, the Gauntlet had been freshly raised...but quickly did they forget the Hisil and the cool shade of the spirit world.

Mamut, the Great Bull Mammoth was a powerful spirit in those days. But in time, he felt himself growing strangely weaker. There was less essence for him to feed on, he saw less of the Mammoths running through the Tundra in herds. And then one day, they where all but gone. He found the last Mammoth sitting alone on the tundra, near death, and asked him 'who has done this to you? Why are there so few of you? There must be more of you, simply hidden away.'

The Last Mammoth died shortly after, but not before telling Mamut about the clever beasts clad in fur that was not theirs with weapons they where not born with. How they had ran them over cliffs, stabbed into them with spears, turned their tusks into huts to shelter themselves from conditions they had no fur to protect themselves against.

Mamut became the first of the Fallen-Lost. A spirit of a species which humanity has utterly destroyed to the last specimine. When it happens naturally, the spirit simply fades, such is the way of the Spirits. But, when something that has no reflection in the spirit world, who kills so fast and heedlessly exterminates the species the Fallen-Lost was tied to...they linger.

And has they linger, they change. Without the proper essence to feed them, many or even most become maddened Magath, sucking on the essence of whatever they can find. Devouring spirits, guarding powerful Loci, making pacts with the Incarnae so they might obtain a small tithe of essence enough to prevent their ultimate end.

And of course, we preserve a number of them.

In those ancient times, Mamut came to those who would be called the Ivory Claws. We where young then, our brands burned fresh, and the Firstborn still mourned Urfartha openly. The war against the Forsaken had just barely begun, and we sat in a clearing, debating what must be done about the humans and the Forsaken. Mamuts tale left no doubt in the hearts of all of our Alphas, the Humans MUST be brought to heel.

But fighting a war on two fronts is not easy. Culling the humans proved hard, for their tools and weapons where strong. And the Forsaken still lurked, resisting our attempts to exterminate them. Mamut was granted a place at one of our greatest Loci, a place the Firstborn themselves once sat to listen to the words of Urfartha. He still sits there today, thousands of years later, speaking of the atrocities he suffered and serving has a Totem to those packs most determined to heal the wounds of the Earth by bringing the humans under control.

Not all the Pure Tribes share the same concern for the Fallen-Lost, however. The Predator Kings have nothing to do with them, seeing the Fallen-Lost has spirits clinging on past their time when they could not protect what was theirs. They lost, so they reason they should fade away like any other defeated spirit. But we know better, our pups can learn much from the Fallen-Lost about the worst crimes of humanity. And in so doing, steel their hearts against the Forsaken who would seek a false balance between their world and the Hisil.

Shoulf you ever encounter one of the Fallen-Lost, and you may if you should be lucky enough to make your way to one of our greater Loci, sit and listen to their tales. For many of the Fallen-Lost we preserve through gifts of essence and rites that purify the essence of Loci into something they can consume without becoming Magath know much. Gifs, rites, methods of making Fetishes, secret lore about the world, and more then you might think will consider becoming your Pack's Totem...but be warned their bans are often difficult to manage, for they sense that in us which is human, and detest it utterly. But if you earn the respect of a Fallen-Lost, their power and wisdom is great.

Example Fallen-Lost Totem

Mamut, the First of the Fallen-Lost (Totem Cost: Fifteen)

A massive bull mammoth out of a history book stands before you. Its fur blue and frozen, with icicles hanging down from its tusks and trunk. Spears stick out of its back, but do nothing to hinder it, has its thick hide and fur protects the flesh beneath. Despite its frozen appearance, its beady eyes burn with the fires of hatred and the pain of regret.

Power: 7 (6 Totem Points)
    Finesse: 3
    Resistance: 7 (6 totem points)

Influences: Ice **

Numen: Material Vision, Blast (Three Points), Materialize (Three points)

Benefits: Two dots in Brawl (Given, Mamut fondly remembers the days when Bull Mammoths would fight for the rights to mate, clashing tusks against each other on the Tundra. Furthermore, he gets viceral joy from seeing his chosen pack gut humans with their bare hands. Ten points). Four points of essence (Two points)

Ban (Severity Three, Fifteen Totem Points): Mamut loathes human hunters, should the Pack come into contact with any Human they believe has ever engaged in the sport of hunting...they must slay him. Mamut is patient, however, and will permit the pact to be subtle or plan long term to slay him, so long has they make steady progress. He has no desire to see his chosen pack cut down like the Mammoths where, though this is more to do with reliving this trauma then actual care for the Pure.

Obviously, the Pack should probably avoid GI Joes and Sportsmans Warehouse locations, and any sort of Tea Party Rally. And Forsaken may not take Mamut has a pack totem for obvious reasons.

Developers Notes: Mamut is tied to a powerful Pure-controlled Loci. He may leave this Locus, but may not regain essence from any other source, save gifts from Werewolves, without steadily becoming more akin to Magath. Its icy appearance is due to eating a number of polar and tundra spirits out of despiration, though this was not enough to turn him to full Magath-hood. Most of his power is based in the gifts he grants his pack, though in emergencies he can and will materialize to trample Forsaken beneath his feet, and to gore human hunters to death on his tusks.

He is utterly unforgiving on his unusually strict ban. But he has existed for millenia and knows much of the Spirit World, the real benefit of such a totem is this ancient knowledge, and less the raw power he has. Though a Pure who expects him to simply spill his guts is in for a sore dissapointment, for Mamut is bitter and angry, and gives nothing for free. If you want that new Rite, you'd best be willing to work to earn it! If a member of the Pure Tribes manages to impress him with some great feat, they may be able to take the Mentor merit to represent a degree of trust with the spirit beyond the totem bond (They may not even be part of his pack), indicating what amount of knowledge the spirit might share if he truly thinks the Werewolf can aid his agenda beyond the norm.

While it could be pretty cool with ancient spirits of extinct animals I think this could lead us down to the idea of Dinos and stuff coming around as well. So I'm a bit torn on the issue.

In regards to the ban it should be much harder. It should be to kill the freaking hunter NOW and not some other time.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurkhal View Post
      While it could be pretty cool with ancient spirits of extinct animals I think this could lead us down to the idea of Dinos and stuff coming around as well. So I'm a bit torn on the issue.
      And nothing illustrates this better then the Fallen Lost. When man first learned to make spears, and stone axes and other tools, they turned to the wilderness and sought to master it.
      That should disqualify Dinosaurs right there. While the large Dinosaurs did die out (With their small survivors already on their way to becoming birds), they didn't fall to humankind.

Creatures that would be Fallen-Lost:
      Aurochs
      Dodo
      Bali tiger/Caspian tiger
      Great auk
      Moa
      Quagga
      Thylacine
      etc.

There is some debate over megafauna species in the Holocene Extinction, and whether their extinction was caused by man or not.

Rage CCG Collector and Artist. Visit the Rage CCG Forums.

Comment

There's a rather scary dinosaur/something spirit in the Rockies book.

Comment

Here's something from an old collaborative project - to make a Book of the Sea in the vein of Book of the Dead. The ultimate spirit of predation, or second to Father Wolf. I did some research to see what the largest preditor of all time was, but I think the scientific estimates might have changed since I wrote this. (If I remember Sharur Sar translates to "king hunter" - I didn't translate it back into the first tongue)

Sharur Sar

Quote: Look at it. The last of its kind. Like you and I. If you destroy it, the world will never see its kind again.
          Background

It speaks of a more primitive time, a more savage time. A time where starvation and survival were just a hairs width apart, when life and death depended upon the hunt. It knows these things because it is Sharur Sar, the king of the hunt.

Description

It's enormous. That's the first thing anyone notices. Sharur Sar is Is over fifty meters long. It's jaw is wide enough to swallow people whole by the dozen and filled with rows of enormous teeth. It's body is sleek and streamlined with four flippers. It makes a terrifying figure ploughing through the shadowed depth, if you can see it then it can see you and it wants to eat you.

Storytelling Hints

When close to Sharur Sar you could almost mistake the surroundings for a barren for it's truly empty. The reason is simple, Sharur Sar has eaten everything. The king of the hunt lives a nomadic existence, a one Spirit mobile banquet.

Yet there is more to Sharur Sar than the hunt. He is the last of his kind, presumingly he ate the others. Once he was the spirit of a flesh and blood creature but the svalbard plesiosaurs are all gone. He understands this and remembers the pain he felt when half of his great hunt ended. This has left him great respect for the sanctity of the hunt. Every spirit he devours he leaves with enough Essence to reform, other creatures gain the same respect: He leaves them with the minimum they need to limp home; this can be as harsh as killing should his prey have a way to return from the dead. In turn Sharur Sar expects his prey to understand the hunt, you run, you hide, you seek shelter, you only fight in a corner. Know your place in the hunt or Sharur Sar will express his... displeasure.
          Be warned Sharur Sar's charity has it's limits, he will at a minimum fill someone's health track with Lethal damage. While Sharur Sar allows people to survive after the hunt he won't end the hunt early to out of pity.

There is one other thing that interests Sharur Sar aside from the hunt. Once long ago he ignored the world changing to focus on his feast. He daily lives with the consequences of that choice. If the world itself is threatened and the problem can be solved by eating someone or something then go to Sharur Sar but make sure it's worth the cost of asking such a dangerous predator to cross the gauntlet.

“There are no rules. Only Principles and natural laws.” - Promethius
          My Homebrew no longer fits in a signature, you can find an index of it here.
          Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

Originally posted by Gurkhal View Post
            Unless an Archmaster of Time, Space, and Matter somehow managed to cause the extinction of the Dinosaurs, then...

...Okay, lets just...say there aren't any Dinosaur Fallen-Lost and NOT follow that to its potential conclusion! We'll just blame the Exarchs if anybody asks.

Regardless of minor joking, only those killed by beings that lack a spiritual equivalent in the Hisil become Fallen Lost. Humans and other Supernaturals lack a spiritual reflection, and that combined with the general haste and ease we can kill entire species...it tends to have severe consequences for the Spirit world. Furthermore, I've cooked up some plot seeds that might serve your campaigns well.

* Pacific Gyre: At the center of a circle of currents running all around the Pacific Ocean, there's a massive patch of garbage. Every so often you hear about seagulls or sea turtles who've eaten a large amount of trash and died a slow, painful death. A few minor species have gone extinct, with a sizable portion of these unknown to science; humanity simply didn't discover them before they killed them indirectly.

However, a number of those species had their spirits become Fallen Lost...and Werewolves are not exactly suited to aquatic life. These spirits want to clean the Ocean...and ensure the pollution stops utterly. Unfortunately, their idea for stopping it involves eco-terrorism at best, and genocide at worst, and to make matters worse, they've managed to convince some of the Brineborn populations on the West Coast that they can speak with Mother Ocean and convince her to lift the drowning curse on the Bith Balag.

They cannot, but the Brineborn are desperate, saddened creatures. They're simply grasping at straws, but to grasp at these specific straws involves ritual sacrifice of polluters, the sinking of ships, and other problematic behaviors...

* The Thylacine: A curious thing that those aware of the existance of the Fallen-Lost may of noticed. There is no Fallen-Lost of the Thylacine, or Tasmanian Tigers. The reason for this is simple enough, they're not entirely dead yet, with a few surviving in the deep outback away from humans. Every so often, you hear of some Aussie or another seeing something that looks an awful lot like a Tazzy Tiger. The Thylacine spirit has no hate for the Forsaken, and may be willing to work with them if they can help preserve the few remaining Tasmanian Tigers from extinction.

Although this will be difficult, for a few radical Predator Kings are convinced that the time of these marsupials has passed, and must fade away into death. They've heard these rumors of Thylacines yet surviving, and feel it is their duty to ensure they are culled. A pack in Sydney is already preparing themselves for this 'sacred duty'...

Comment

I feel like I ought to bring up Relict Spirits from BoS here, given that the concept both overlaps with the aforementioned predator-nightmare-dinosaur spirits from Rockies and is broader than just animals and allows for creepy stuff like predatory ghost-towns and such.

Resident Lore-Hound
              Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                I feel like I ought to bring up Relict Spirits from BoS here, given that the concept both overlaps with the aforementioned predator-nightmare-dinosaur spirits from Rockies and is broader than just animals and allows for creepy stuff like predatory ghost-towns and such.
                You do bring up a good point, though I think that these spirits are meant to be more fleshed out and defined than the predator magath to give them more individuality as antagonists than being represented by a generic load out. Plus, it is rather cool to see things like Mammoth and Liopleurodon/plesiosaur-esque spirits.

And hey, it doesn't have to be a ghost-town to be creepy; Lonesome Forest does a good job and it has a pretty significant population, even if said population is little more than meat puppets lol.
                Last edited by Korogra; 07-17-2014, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Autochthon View Post
                  Obviously, the Pack should probably avoid GI Joes and Sportsmans Warehouse locations, and any sort of Tea Party Rally. And Forsaken may not take Mamut has a pack totem for obvious reasons.
                  I don't understand - why Forsaken can't choose Fallen-Lost as Totems?

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
                  LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Mega-fauna And something interesting...Creodonts dominated before losing out 8 million years ago, (give or take a hot minute) to carnivorans. (Carnivorous species).

Let the imagination fly!

Mankind was once an endangered species. It will likely be so again. And mankind will only have itself to blame.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowflame View Post
                      And something interesting...Creodonts dominated before losing out 8 million years ago, (give or take a hot minute) to carnivorans. (Carnivorous species).
                      So Fallen-Lost not by humans, but probably from the Uratha themselves. So there's spirits of the Creodonts who seek out revenge against all Uratha (Forsaken, Pure, Ghost Wolf, Balehounds; they don't care) and any other Shapeshifter that belongs to Carnivora. They may not be fast or very clever, but once they have you in their jaws...

One of the reasons could be is that the Creodonts were on their way to becoming their own shapeshifting race. And thus competed for the same resources that the Uratha did. Something happened for the Uratha to completely destroy their rivals.

Rage CCG Collector and Artist. Visit the Rage CCG Forums.

Comment

I definitely remember that the Forsaken core book always said that the Pure often had totems of prehistoric monstrous creatures driving them to destroy civilization and so on.

I imagine that the reason why the Forsaken don't have such spirits as totems is that the Pure are generally nigh-on slaves to their totems with really restrictive and powerful bans, whereas the Forsaken almost always avoid that. These spirits are generally going to be ancient and powerful, which means those restrictive and powerful bans, and thus they are unfavoured by the Tribes of the Moon.

Comment

Topic necromancy, as I have perfect fit for Fallen-Lost - I prepare Predator Kings pack that live now in caves that were once inhabited by cave bears. So quick look for the cave bear Totem for them.

Most fundamental question is how powerful should local Fallen-Lost be? Ensah (Rank 4) as local spirit court ruler? Dihir (Rank 5)? More above? / More I think will be too much – it comes on area of Lunes and Helions there /

Totem: Paw in Darkness

Totem Type: Hunting Bear Spirit ( Cave Bear )
                          Totem Rank: 4 (?)
                          Background: Paw is prehistoric being, first created when Neanderthals killed local cave bears colony. By death of biggest male, the spirit awoken, taking it’s form. It’s survived and roused in power when first humans took the bones and relicts from its physical bodies, starting to worship it as ancient primordial god. In a year or two, first local Uratha that later become Predator Kings found the spirit – and sign the bloody compact. Werewolves will bring the spiritual hunting offerings to Paw, and it will grant ‘the might of 10 bears’ for them. It’s the same now from the millennia. Pure kidnap humans and Wolf-Blooded to run primitive cult in caves nearby that’s worship generate Essence for the Paw to survive all this years. Spirit lord also guide and watch over local brown bears population, like his own grandchildren.

Description: Paw physically is great cave bear male – looking like weighting over 500 kg - only shrouded in darkness ( like permanent shadow ) and dirty in blood of it’s victims.

Storytelling Hints: Paw understand that time of his kind is over. He is using Pure and humans as Essence generators, but in secret he loathes them. However, he is not stupid and knows that without constant spring of worship, he would perish quickly. He then transfer his inner rage on the civilized settlements of humans he destroys with his Uratha adopted children.

Aspirations:
                          To resurrect glory of bear-kind
                          Destroy human civilization

Attributes: Power 12, Finesse 8, Resistance 10
                          Willpower: 10
                          Essence: 25
                          Initiative: 18
                          Defense: 8
                          Speed: 25
                          Size: 10
                          Corpus: 20
                          Influences: Bear ••••, Hunting •••, Darkness ••
                          Manifestations: Gauntlet Breach, Image, Materialize, Posses, Twilight Form
                          Numina: Awe, Blast (Claw marks on victim ), Host Jump, Might*, Pathfinder, Regenerate, Shadow Form**
                          Ban: Cannot rest in man-made den ( Paw is nocturnal creature of darkness - and Helios make Shadow Realm more dormant in day - so rest means in the light of day hours. )
                          Bane: Stone weapons of the Neatherdals that killed it’s physical original

New Numina

Might
                          Spirit can blessed itself – or other being it is touching – with supernatural strength. After activating power with touch, next roll based on Strength or Power of the target use this trait multiplied by the Rank of spirit. Each blessing costs 3 Essence and takes one action of the spirit if made on other being. If spirit is Totem for the pack, it can bless pack members from the other side.

Shadow Form
                          Spirit can take form of living shadow, indistinguishable from normal lights effect. It became two dimensional and moves on any surface just like shadow could. Change cost 1 Essence and is instant. Change back to more physical form cost the same.
                          Last edited by wyrdhamster; 06-24-2019, 10:12 AM. Reason: Added Ban to write up

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Idea for Ban of the Paw is always look for - I really have a problem to come up with good Bans for my ephemeral entities. EDIT: Ban solved with the help of nofather - thank for advise!
                            Last edited by wyrdhamster; 06-24-2019, 10:12 AM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

This is where cross-game resources can come in handy. 'Signs of Sorcery' has great suggestions on how in your game maybe some of these extinct species...might not be.

Comment

Working...
                              X