2e Brainstorm: Kuruth Triggers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2e Brainstorm: Kuruth Triggers

Sorry for the silence on the 2nd Edition front, lots of things all happened at once.

Anyway. I'm getting the book ready for editing and one thing's staring at me. Kuruth triggers.

Long story short, each werewolf has a thing that triggers death rage. If she's at the end of the Harmony scale, this could be something like "my auspice moon is in the sky". If she's not quite at the extremes, it might be "I saw my auspice moon in the sky". If she's close to balance, it might be "spending a scene in the light of my auspice moon". And I'm trying to come up with plenty of examples, in three categories.

Passive triggers are the "auspice moon in the sky". They're events or circumstances that just happen. The werewolf can't avoid them, something happens and boom, Kuruth.
    Common triggers are the "seeing auspice moon". They're common, but they need the werewolf to interact with them. You need to see the moon, or taste blood, or whatevs.
    Specific triggers are the "scene in the moonlight". They're not common, but a werewolf may be pushed to encounter one.

I've got a couple of examples of each, but could do with more. So I'm throwing it open to the forums. Help me out and suggest things!

--
    Stew Wilson
    Werewolf Developer
    My games. Buy them.
    The maturity of the developer might go down as well as up. Bum. Willy. Fart. Nietzche.

Quick query for clarification for the readers, Stew - Kuruth triggers cause a roll to resist Death Rage rather than automatically shoving you into Death Rage, if I remember correctly?

- Chris Allen, Freelance Writer & Developer

​Like my work? Feel like helping me stay supplied with tea? Check out my Patreon

Comment

Triggers send you into Wasu-Im, the first stage of Death Rage. You can pull yourself out of that, but it does make you go a bit weird while you do.

--
      Stew Wilson
      Werewolf Developer
      My games. Buy them.
      The maturity of the developer might go down as well as up. Bum. Willy. Fart. Nietzche.

Comment

I will try to think of some...
        About seeing the auspice moon, how it would work for the Irraka?
        And what about silver triggering Death Rage?

Comment

Ummmm, wow...I will think on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Felipe View Post
            I will try to think of some...
            About seeing the auspice moon, how it would work for the Irraka?
            And what about silver triggering Death Rage?
            The new moon is still a moon. The only time it doesn't give light is during an actual eclipse.

Some things, like taking damage from silver, are triggers for every werewolf regardless of Harmony.

--
            Stew Wilson
            Werewolf Developer
            My games. Buy them.

Comment

Y'know what? Here's the current triggers section:

Passive Triggers
              Your auspice moon is in the sky
              Smelling blood

Common Triggers
              Seeing your auspice moon
              Swallowing human blood

Specific Triggers
              Spending a scene in the light of your Auspice moon
              Swallowing your own blood

General Triggers
              Spending too long in Gauru
              Taking Gauru outside of combat
              Taking damage from silver
              Forced into Kuruth by an Elodoth

--
              Stew Wilson
              Werewolf Developer
              My games. Buy them.

Comment

Passive A non pack Werewolf enters your territory without permission.
                Common You see a non-pack Werewolf in your territory.
                Specific A non-pack Werewolf challanges your pack's authority within the territory.

Passive A Spirit crosses the gauntlet in your territory.
                Common You hear animals react to the Spirit.
                Specific You hear and understand the animals specifically warning about a Spirit.

Passive Auspice moon in the sky.
                Common You hear wolves howl at your Auspice moon.
                Specific You hear wolves howl at your Auspice moon while moonlight touches your flesh.

Passive A wolf dies nearby.
                Common You meet a human who's recently killed a wolf (you must be able to smell the blood and see his face).
                Specific You see a human kill a wolf for sport.

Passive A human shaman performs a ritual nearby
                Common You meet a human who practices a Spirit based religion.
                Specific And you know about it (see an religious necklace, they talk about it).

I've long felt since Werewolves want to keep the spirit and Flesh apart; humans who wish to harmoniosuly merge Material and Spiritual would make brilliant antagonists / foils.

I can't think of a themed set for this one. I know it's more Changeling than Werewolf, but here it is anyway.

Specific: Seeing a young girl lost in the forest. ("young" can mean "pre puberty", "pre menstruation" or "virgin" - depending on which metaphor Werewolf is using)

Another one without a set.

Specific: Seeing a lost sheep. (I'm riffing on the idea that savagely eaten cattle is sometimes portrayed as the first warning sign of a nearby Werewolf; and sheep are stereotypical wolf victims).

Before I continue, are these useful DigitalRaven?
                Last edited by The Kings Raven; 10-13-2014, 05:25 PM.

“There are no rules. Only Principles and natural laws.” - Promethius
                My Homebrew no longer fits in a signature, you can find an index of it here.
                Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalRaven View Post
                  Y'know what? Here's the current triggers section:

Passive Triggers
                  Your auspice moon is in the sky
                  Smelling blood

Common Triggers
                  Seeing your auspice moon
                  Swallowing human blood

Specific Triggers
                  Spending a scene in the light of your Auspice moon
                  Swallowing your own blood

General Triggers
                  Spending too long in Gauru
                  Taking Gauru outside of combat
                  Taking damage from silver
                  Forced into Kuruth by an Elodoth
                  Bolded, the specific trigger is easier than the common one. As anyone whose been in a fist fight can attest it's pretty easy to end up swallowing some of your own blood, especially if you receive a solid smack to the face.

Onyx Path Moderator
                  Mod Voice is RED*
                  *All other colors should be read aloud in the voice of Don Knotts.
                  Hacks and House Rules Hub Thread

CofD Hacks By Splat: Vampire | Werewolf | Mage | Mummy | Demon

Comment

I don't think that's the case for werewolves. It's basically "take a targeted shot to the face" vs. "deal damage with a bite attack".

--
                    Stew Wilson
                    Werewolf Developer
                    My games. Buy them.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kings Raven View Post

Before I continue, are these useful DigitalRaven?
                      Those are the kind of thing I'm looking for, yes. Cheers!

--
                      Stew Wilson
                      Werewolf Developer
                      My games. Buy them.

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalRaven View Post
                        I don't think that's the case for werewolves. It's basically "take a targeted shot to the face" vs. "deal damage with a bite attack".
                        I dunno. The Common trigger can be deliberately avoided, and only occurs when hunting a specific breed of prey. The Specific trigger can occur in any fight, or as a result of a botched athletics roll. Basically I can think of whole arcs I've run where the first would never have been an issue, while I can think of few chapters where the second wouldn't have been a possibility.

Onyx Path Moderator
                        Mod Voice is RED*

Comment

A few more then

Common: Get attacked in a dishonourable fashion.

Common: Smell non-pack Werewolf urine in your territory.
                          Specific: They've pissed on the spot where you've marked your territory.

Specific: You encounter a moon rock.
                          Specific: Someone who brought land on the moon mentions it to you.
                          Specific: You talk to a neo-pagan about her worship of the Moon - practices that Mother Luna would find offensive if she cared enough to notice.
                          Specific: You witness a Mage using a Moon related Yantra that contradicts Mother Luna's history/personality/known attributes.
                          Specific: You encounter a legitimate worshipper of/an actual Luna deity unrelated to Mother Luna.

“There are no rules. Only Principles and natural laws.” - Promethius
                          My Homebrew no longer fits in a signature, you can find an index of it here.
                          Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

Now for genuine input!

Affection
                            • Passive: Hear about someone you love or respect being injured or insulted.
                            • Common: Seeing someone you love or respect being injured or insulted.
                            • Specific: Seeing someone you love or respect being injured.

Aspiration
                            • Passive: An event happens to runs counter to one of your Aspirations.
                            • Common: Someone verbally opposes the pursuit of one of your Aspirations.
                            • Specific: Someone physically opposes the pursuit of one of your Aspirations.

Condition
                            • Passive: You are subject to a negative Condition
                            • Common: You are subject to a Persistent Negative Condition
                            • Specific: You gain a Beat from a Persistent Negative Condition

Hunt
                            •Passive: An obstacle stands in the way of your hunt
                            • Common: You fail to capture your prey during a hunt
                            • Specific: Your efforts are not helpful in capturing the prey during a hunt, even if your pack does succeed

Social
                            • Passive: You fail to Open any Doors (in Social Maneuvering)
                            • Common: You're Alternatives are refused (in Social Maneuvering)
                            • Specific: You attempt to Force Doors and fail (in Social Maneuvering)

Onyx Path Moderator
                            Mod Voice is RED*

Comment

With the emphasis on sacred prey I could see something cool based off of that, but actually thinking about it, encountering new humans and spirits and werewolves bringing you close to rage would be an unnecessary burden. So what about contact with a (new) supernatural they can't identify (maybe just in their own territory)? Being threatened in their own territory? Seeing non-Uratha packmates killed? Being immobilized or confined? The presence of a rage-influenced Wound? I'm not exactly sure how Wounds work. Being forced to do something they don't want to do by a non-Uratha?
                              Last edited by nofather; 10-13-2014, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X