Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unofficial Werewolf Gift Errata (1st ed)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think these should be all gift trees left.

Gifts (available to everyone):
    Grotto Lodges of the Faithful 129 Lodge of the Grotto
    Halcyon Blood of the Wolf 84 Storm Lords
    Opening Lodges of the Faithful 50 Lodge of Doors
    Territory Territories 48 Open (all have affinity)
    Urban Blood of the Wolf 62 Iron Masters
    War War Against the Pure 46 -
    Wolfslayer War Against the Pure 48 -

Pure Gifts (mostly taught to pure):
    Agony The Pure 113 Ivory Claws
    Disease The Pure 113 Fire-Touched
    Fervor The Pure 116 Fire-Touched
    Savagery The Pure 118 Predator Kings
    Scourging The Pure 119 Ivory Claws

Bale Hound Gifts (mostly taught to Balehounds and other corrupted werewolves):
    Fever Blasphemies 82
    Eclipse Blasphemies 137
    Tainted Moon Blasphemies 138
    Wound Gifts Blasphemies 139

Lodge Gifts (granted only by Lodge patron spirits):
    Firestick Lodges of the Splintered 59 Lodge of the Firestick
    Retribution Lodges of the Faithful 115 Lodge of Wrath
    Spirit's Silence Lodges of the Splintered 129 Lodge of the Thin Shadow

Auspice Gifts (only open to corresponding Auspice):
    Cunning Signs of the Moon 33 Irraka
    Glory Signs of the Moon 142 Cahalith
    Honor Signs of the Moon 102 Elodoth
    Purity Signs of the Moon 178 Rahu
    Shererazade's Signs of the Moon 140 Cahalith
    Wisdom Signs of the Moon 69 Ithaeur

Alternate Auspice Gifts:
    Stellar Moon Signs of the Moon 195 Stellar Moon

Silver Road Gifts (only open to those on the Lunar Crusade):
    Silver Road War Against the Pure 144
    Last edited by Penta; 11-07-2013, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Fever is not a Bale Hound gift, it is from a Fire Touched lodge

Comment

The gift notes explicitly that it isn't exclusive to the Lodge, but is also taught to Bale Hounds and other corrupted werewolves. As this opens up the use of the Gift, I put it in the Bale Hound Gift list.
        I followed a similar rationale with the Grotto and Opening Gifts. These are also listed under a Lodge in the books, but aren't exclusive to their Lodge so I put them in the open list.

Comment

Originally posted by Penta View Post
          I followed a similar rationale with the Grotto and Opening Gifts. These are also listed under a Lodge in the books, but aren't exclusive to their Lodge so I put them in the open list.
          Opening's fifth Gift explicitly has a severe penalty applied by the lodge's patron if you use it offensively.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
          Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Originally posted by Satchel View Post
            Opening's fifth Gift explicitly has a severe penalty applied by the lodge's patron if you use it offensively.
            Well that'll have to go now won't it?

Thanks Penta. Heads up to all, I might end up playing with exclusivity the same way I altered the base Gift lists with Signature Renown.

Onyx Path Moderator
            Mod Voice is RED*
            *All other colors should be read aloud in the voice of Don Knotts.
            Hacks and House Rules Hub Thread

CofD Hacks By Splat: Vampire | Werewolf | Mage | Mummy | Demon

Comment

Originally posted by PenDragon View Post
              Well that'll have to go now won't it?
              Heaven forfend a fairly direct textual indicator exist that a Gift list is taught only within a given lodge after someone who wasn't involved in writing the lodge put it on a list suggesting it's taught freely.

I realize I don't always do a stellar job at making my meaning clear, but come on, man.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
              Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Heaven forfend a fairly direct textual indicator exist that a Gift list is taught only within a given lodge after someone who wasn't involved in writing the lodge put it on a list suggesting it's taught freely.

I realize I don't always do a stellar job at making my meaning clear, but come on, man.
                Perhaps I should have added a little smiley or something to my comment. It was intended to be a coy indication of my dislike for extreme exclusivity, not a comment on your observations.

Damn you text!

Onyx Path Moderator
                Mod Voice is RED*

Comment

TLDR: Gift 1-4 are accessible to all. Gift 5 is exclusive to the Lodge.

I just reread the Gift to see if I made an error catagorizing it, and that doesn't seem to be the case. The Gift list notes that the Gifts are both taught by the Lurker in Doorways (Lodge Patron) and spirits of creatures that excel in bypassing barriers, such as raccoons and rodents. As it nowhere notes that the Gifts are exclusive to the Lodge, in my opinion a werewolf could as a rodent spirit to teach it to him.

The only exception is the fifth Gift in the list. This Gift notes that it is only taught by the Lurker in Doorways, and only taught to the most experienced and wise members. I would keep the Gift this way and keep the mechanics related to the Lurker in Doorways.

Comment

I like some exclusivity. Take the Iron Master rites in Signs of the Moon. Spirits are banned from teaching those to non-Iron Masters. The same could be the case with the brood of Bloody-Shriek.

Comment

A canny viewer inspecting page 1 might notice the disappearance of the "Holding For Later" text, and the appearance of Signs of the Moon Gifts.

Onyx Path Moderator
                      Mod Voice is RED*

Comment

Ace! Not a lot of changes, I note, but then the Signs of the Moon stuff always seemed fairly solid. (Now the Pure Gifts, oy)

GM of the Walking Shadow Campaigns
                        New System and Setting Material

Comment

If you make Harmony's Reward cost Essence, then it's even more broken than say, Savage Might. If I can spend 2 essence per turn, and my Harmony is 7, I can add +14 dies to a roll.

Comment

Originally posted by Ephsy View Post
                            If you make Harmony's Reward cost Essence, then it's even more broken than say, Savage Might. If I can spend 2 essence per turn, and my Harmony is 7, I can add +14 dies to a roll.
                            Harmony's Reward can only be used once per turn (pg. 179)

I changed it to Essence because most characters only have between 4-6 Harmony. Meaning that the power was basically "add a few extra dice when spending willpower". For a five dot gift that felt lackluster. Given the other drawbacks of the Gift (rapid degeneration) I don't think it's OP. Though I can always be proven wrong.

Onyx Path Moderator
                            Mod Voice is RED*

Comment

4th dot gift, and the degeneration occurs only if you boost a roll which directly leads to it.

Comment

From Page 179
                                In game terms, if a player is called upon to make a degeneration roll during a scene in which the character has used this Gift, subtract one die from the degeneration roll for each use.
                                Fluff text is slightly contradictory, but hard rules wise it doesn't have to be the roll that was boosted.

Onyx Path Moderator
                                Mod Voice is RED*

Comment

Working...
                                X