Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unofficial Werewolf Gift Errata (1st ed)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PenDragon
    started a topic Unofficial Werewolf Gift Errata (1st ed)

Unofficial Werewolf Gift Errata (1st ed)

This list covers every Gift from the W:tF Core book, Lore of the Forsaken, and The Rage, focusing primarily on those that are considered under powered. I am balancing with an eye for making the effects enjoyable, and roughly along the power lines of Changeling and Vampire. The changes to Gifts vary from tiny tweaks for clarity to completely rewrites and restructuring of whole Gift progressions. I have done my best to maintain the theme and flavor of each Gift and stick to the original effect where possible.

My goal was twofold. First, to balance Gifts amongst themselves and improve those that had extremely limiting drawbacks or needless weaknesses that made them undesirable. Much of these changes were alterations to duration of the effect, or removal of the chronic "fails vs supernatural" flaw that plagues the system.
    The second objective was to balance the gifts in a crossover setting. This isn't to say that I am trying to turn Werewolves into Mage 2.0, but merely to make certain that the general power of their gifts stayed in line with that of other splats. This often meant increasing bonuses or reorganizing Gift's placement within their respective tree.

I will do my best to assess and balance those Gifts with feedback from the discussion. But I will say this now: there is no way this revision will please everyone. Cherry picking is encouraged, for those Gifts that you find to be appropriate revision. As is civilized and constructive feedback on ways to better balance effects (inflammatory or unconstructive commentary will be ignored...sorry)

Signature Renown

One of the greatest difficulties of the Renown system is how incredibly random the application appears to be. Within an individual Gift tree it is possible to have every single form of Renown represented. This can require players to buy up several different forms of renown, including non-favored ones to improve effects that are otherwise well within auspice theme. A lot of players are not fond of that. However, more importantly, it is confusing...really confusing. Having to record renown for each Gift, check and double check. Even for a mechanically savvy player it is a huge drag.

Dateweaver was kind enough to restructure the listed gifts into five categories, each tied to a separate renown that best represents the Gift Tree's flavor:
    Originally posted by Dataweaver
    Cunning: New Moon, Evasion, Stealth, Technology
    Glory: Gibbous Moon, Inspiration, Strength, Rage
    Honor: Half Moon, Warding, Shaping, Weather
    Purity: Full Moon, Dominance, Elemental, Nature
    Wisdom: Crescent Moon, Knowledge, Insight, Death
    Primal Urge: Father Wolf, Mother Luna

As I structured each Renown's list, the left-most entry was exclusive to the Auspice that favors that Renown, and the right-most was one where the only way to have both the Affinity Renown and the Affinity Gift sync up is through the Tribe (that's also why I italicized the first and last entries).
    Take note that Father Wolf and Mother Luna Gifts do not fall under any of the listed Renown. Being universal Gifts they are tied innately to the Werewolves nature and spring internally from their own prowess as opposed to being external blessings. Whenever a roll is required to activate one of their gifts the user's Primal Urge score should be substituted from the standard Renown. In addition, Primal Urge may be substituted for Renown when determining the highest dot rating in the Gift that may be purchased.

The choice of signature Renown for each Gift was borrowed from the "Emergent Beast" section of the Chronicler's Guide (a great resource for Werewolf fixes), then edited by Dataweaver and myself.

Those using Signature Renown may also want to use revised Auspice/Tribe Rules:
    Whenever a character purchases a new Dot in a Renown they may either learn a Tribe/Auspice Gift, or any Gift that uses that Renown. Father Wolf and Mother Luna Gifts are considered to be "in Auspice" for all Uratha.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    Revision History:

11-4-13
    -Migrated all changes to new forum.
    -Damn character limit.

6-18-12
    -Switched around Between the Weave and Crash the Gates
    -Improved duration on Ghost Knife
    -Improved effect on Corpse Witness
    -Clarified effect on Luna's Dictum
    -Added optional Call Water variant
    -Improved effect on Manipulate Earth
    -Rewrote Fog of War again, aiming for less invasive mechanics
    -Made Rage Armor more/less Renown dependant
    -Improved Wolf-Blood's Lure
    -Clarified Spirit Pack
    -Added Gauru Shift Effect to Clarity
    -Limited Pack Awareness's exception success bonus

6-19-12
    -Improved Resist Pain's Exceptional Effect
    -Retooled Scent of Taint to work more like Mage Sight
    -Capped the benefits of Comraderie (Should have done this in the first place).

6-21-12
    -Fixed some faults and abuses of Know the Path
    -Clarified Communion with the Land
    -Clarified Quicksilver Rearrangement
    -Clarified Any Beast
    -Improved Speak with Beasts duration
    -Changed the cost of Plant Growth to make it more attractive for repeat use
    -Improved radius on Nature's Vengeance and added a Willpower cost to balance out the new benefits.
    -Changed Sense Weakness to avoid spam-till-success situtations
    -Clarified Distractions
    -Added changed for Rekindled Rage
    -New five dot Rage Gift, Fight or Flight
    -Made Feet of Mist permanent
    -Slightly improved Blending
    -Made Crushing Blow permanent
    -Added duration and limitation to Create Technology

6-22-12
    -Updated Feet of Mist
    -Updated Ward Against Rage
    -Very major changes to Shadow Ward
    -Changed Ward of Spirit Slumber
    -Alter the damage on Killing Frost
    -Changed damage and attack calculation on Thunderbolt

6-28-12
    -Swapped Ward Against Humans and Ward Against Rage.

7-2-12
    -Clarified Warning Growl's action type.

7-5-12
    -Updated Clarity's duration.

7-10-12
    -Powered up Shadow Flesh to be more in line with its five dot status.
    -Made killing frost a lasting, damage of time style ability.

7-13-12
    -Added a cost per use to Savage Rending. It's just too good otherwise.
    -Nerfed slightly Luna's Fury

7-19-12
    -Buffed Father Wolf's Speed to function in Dalu and Hishu with diminished results.

8-10-12
    -Changed how Sand in the Eyes interacts with allies and packmates.

8-15-12
    -Updated Primal Howl's interaction with Spirits and Allies.

8-23-12
    -Added Savage Rending Revision

9-10-12
    -Added a bit of extra text to ward against humans.

9-17-12
    -Minor adjustments to Spirit Skin and Traveler's blessing.
    Last edited by PenDragon; 11-04-2013, 06:30 PM.

• Darksider
    replied
    Edited title.

Leave a comment:

• Darksider
    replied
    A little late, but stickied.

Leave a comment:

• NeoTiamat
    replied
    Oh excellent! Thank you very much!

(I'll leave the arguing to people who have more playtesting time than I do)

Leave a comment:

• PenDragon
    replied
    Originally posted by NeoTiamat View Post
    (Now the Pure Gifts, oy)
    Fine, if that's what you really want, Here ya go. (They are in the same post, under Signs of the Moon)

These saw a fair bit more changes than signs, including several complete rewrites. Argue away.

Leave a comment:

• PenDragon
    replied
    From Page 179
    In game terms, if a player is called upon to make a degeneration roll during a scene in which the character has used this Gift, subtract one die from the degeneration roll for each use.
    Fluff text is slightly contradictory, but hard rules wise it doesn't have to be the roll that was boosted.

Leave a comment:

• Ephsy
    replied
    4th dot gift, and the degeneration occurs only if you boost a roll which directly leads to it.

Leave a comment:

• PenDragon
    replied
    Originally posted by Ephsy View Post
    If you make Harmony's Reward cost Essence, then it's even more broken than say, Savage Might. If I can spend 2 essence per turn, and my Harmony is 7, I can add +14 dies to a roll.
    Harmony's Reward can only be used once per turn (pg. 179)

I changed it to Essence because most characters only have between 4-6 Harmony. Meaning that the power was basically "add a few extra dice when spending willpower". For a five dot gift that felt lackluster. Given the other drawbacks of the Gift (rapid degeneration) I don't think it's OP. Though I can always be proven wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Ephsy
    replied
    If you make Harmony's Reward cost Essence, then it's even more broken than say, Savage Might. If I can spend 2 essence per turn, and my Harmony is 7, I can add +14 dies to a roll.

Leave a comment:

• NeoTiamat
    replied
    Ace! Not a lot of changes, I note, but then the Signs of the Moon stuff always seemed fairly solid. (Now the Pure Gifts, oy)

Leave a comment:

• PenDragon
    replied
    A canny viewer inspecting page 1 might notice the disappearance of the "Holding For Later" text, and the appearance of Signs of the Moon Gifts.

Leave a comment:

• Ephsy
    replied
    I like some exclusivity. Take the Iron Master rites in Signs of the Moon. Spirits are banned from teaching those to non-Iron Masters. The same could be the case with the brood of Bloody-Shriek.

Leave a comment:

• Penta
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchel View Post
    Heaven forfend a fairly direct textual indicator exist that a Gift list is taught only within a given lodge after someone who wasn't involved in writing the lodge put it on a list suggesting it's taught freely.

I realize I don't always do a stellar job at making my meaning clear, but come on, man.
    TLDR: Gift 1-4 are accessible to all. Gift 5 is exclusive to the Lodge.

I just reread the Gift to see if I made an error catagorizing it, and that doesn't seem to be the case. The Gift list notes that the Gifts are both taught by the Lurker in Doorways (Lodge Patron) and spirits of creatures that excel in bypassing barriers, such as raccoons and rodents. As it nowhere notes that the Gifts are exclusive to the Lodge, in my opinion a werewolf could as a rodent spirit to teach it to him.

The only exception is the fifth Gift in the list. This Gift notes that it is only taught by the Lurker in Doorways, and only taught to the most experienced and wise members. I would keep the Gift this way and keep the mechanics related to the Lurker in Doorways.

Leave a comment:

• PenDragon
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchel View Post
    Heaven forfend a fairly direct textual indicator exist that a Gift list is taught only within a given lodge after someone who wasn't involved in writing the lodge put it on a list suggesting it's taught freely.

I realize I don't always do a stellar job at making my meaning clear, but come on, man.
    Perhaps I should have added a little smiley or something to my comment. It was intended to be a coy indication of my dislike for extreme exclusivity, not a comment on your observations.

Damn you text!

Leave a comment:

• Satchel
    replied
    Originally posted by PenDragon View Post
    Well that'll have to go now won't it?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X